Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkiens inspiration! Come see!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > Tolkiens inspiration! Come see!   
Quote:
I started this thread with this link: VoluspŚ-The Seeress's Prophecy
-AmariŽ-

A fantastic link! I found there also the following:
Yngvi - "mighty" -> compare with Ingwe!
Gimle - shining hall -> almost like Gimli
Garm - was it not the name of a silly hound of Farmer Gilles of Ham?
Woaw, that is really cool AmariŽ! Where did you find this?

hum.. just HAVE to point out that it's rather nordic mythology. We swedes have a part in there too, I promise! Smile Smilie
That was really neat AmariŽ! I knew that that's where Tolkien got the names for the Dwarves, but I never knew the meanings of them!
Quote:
Garm - was it not the name of a silly hound of Farmer Gilles of Ham?
Yup, and "Rag" sort of fits because Giles was ragging on Garm for being a wimp, a limp noodle, a fraidy-cat, a spoil-sport, a wet blanket, a washcloth, etc. So, instead of being a valiant wonderdog type of companion, Garm was a wimpy rag. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Cool link AmariŽ! Very cool indeed....where did you find it?
Love that link! I especially like Bombur: tubby. lol
Quote:
hum.. just HAVE to point out that it's rather nordic mythology. We swedes have a part in there too, I promise!
I've always thought Norse included Sweeden and Denmark and Iceland! We were all vikings, and we all spoke Norse and worshiped the same gods.. Boundries where changing all the time, the countries we have now didn't even exsist! To me Norse mythology=ancient Nordic mythology, not just Norway.

Where I found it? I knew he got the names from "VoluspŚ" so I searched and searched to find the icelandic/norse version. Luckily there was an english translation there too! We learn about the Norse times in school and VoluspŚ is an important part, so are the icelandic family sagas.
Cool.....thanks for that great site AmariŽ.....We all owe youWink Smilie hehe
Quote:
We all owe you
I know, its all part of my plan to take over the world! Mohahaha! Very Evil Smilie
Quote:
I know, its all part of my plan to take over the world! Mohahaha! Very Evil Smilie

What? You are trying to do that too? Welcome to the club....it contains me, Ross, Ringfacwen Very Evil Smilie
That was a lovely site, very poetic,Amarie.I have spent the last hour reading it all.
Quote:
What? You are trying to do that too? Welcome to the club....it contains me, Ross, Ringfacwen

Lol-Sweet Aule wanting to take over the world?I don't believe it! Tongue Smilie
Muahahaha...there is an evil seed in everyone....Very Evil Smilie mine is just enormous Very Evil Smilie