Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkien - German blood?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > Tolkien - German blood?   
Recently I read that Tolkien's aunt, Grace Tolkien, told him that the Tolkien family once had German blood, for they were called after a man von Hohenzollern, who had the nickname 'Tollkühn'.
Now I ask myself if there's any proof to agree with that, therefore if anyone knows then please tell me!
Letter #30 :

Quote:
My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject – which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this son are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

I doubt JRRT's great-great-grandfather was a von Hohenzollern, as that was a royal German bloodline..

I suggest reading letter #165, in which JRRT tells a great deal bout himself :

Quote:
My name is TOLKIEN (not -kein). It is a German name (from Saxony), an anglicization of Tollkiehn, i.e. tollkühn. But, except as a guide to spelling, this fact is as fallacious as all facts in the raw. For I am neither 'foolhardy'1 nor German, whatever some remote ancestors may have been. They migrated to England more than 200 years ago, and became quickly intensely English (not British), though remaining musical – a talent that unfortunately did not descend to me.
Thank you very much Miruvor, now I am up to date!