Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: One of Eru's Mysterious Ways

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > One of Eru's Mysterious Ways   
It is said that Eru never sets before any one of his people, more than they can possibly handle at any one time. This towards correcting the evils of Arda and making it a safer place to live until the next bad guy raises his ugly head trying to become Supreme Overlord. Eru has never given each one of his many heroes more than they could chew-off one bite at a time.

Towards showing this to be a truism, Tolkien usually added a short safe interlude between his scary parts: his characters were almost always given a brief respite before being sent on to their next challenge.

Can you refute the above by providing more cases where it was not true rather than true?
Moderator Smilie Until I added this post, the "Author" section in the main menu, didn't show a new post with today's date, allowing people to overlook this thread's existence.
Not sure I agree with the premise. The point of heroism is to overcome against impossible odds, usually through noble sacrifice. Morgoth was one such impossibility, Sauron another.
The thing is though, one cannot overcome a thing unless his mind is able to cope with the thing a reasonable amount. Look at Master Frodo, he slowly lost his strength, his reason even to a certain extent so that , in the end he has eked out the last drop of overcoming and now could not let go of the accursed ring. And then in steps Gollum to bite him and draw things to the proper conclusion and so there was an overcoming. I don't believe personally that the average person has it within himself to just overcome and overcome any thing that comes along. the mind is a fragile thing and if overthrown nothing can be won.

Yes I noticed that sort of little snippets here and there of rest and repreive, such as the turning aside to Tom Bombadil and Beorn. And really I could not have read it if there were never any, more llike in the Silmarilion, I felt like I was having a breadkdown reading that. And did you not feel like you were one of the party as the story moved along. So when they had a break, so did I.

Just as it takes more to be a King than a piece of Elven glass, it takes more to be a Hero than slay a handful of Orcs.

Tolkien's works are unique because they contain no true literary heroes. The 'heroes' either failed when they finally faced their destination, or won a Pyrrhic victory.
Quote:
or won a Pyrrhic victory

You mean like after the hero's Achilles heel did him in as he ensured victory in the final battle, the remainder of his victorious side celebrated his departure with nothing as mundane as sending him over the falls in an Elven boat, but with a land based or, when they could spare the boat, a floating bonfire, around which they sat roasting marshmallows and recounting his past deeds of glory, as he ascended to Valhalla on a column of smoke. Cool Elf Smilie

I deem that to be another of Eru's mysterious ways. In order that the hero isn't later debased upon his returning home and becoming a bullying drunkard who can't accommodate normal life, the author bumps him off, turning him into a martyr for the cause. Angel Smilie
except for hobbits, it seems no one can go home again. Even then, certain hobbits have a penchant to go visit elves, even if they happen to have sailed west on the straight path.
But those hobbits had also stayed on the straight path and entered via the wicket gate rather than climbing over the fence like a thief. (Something I read in John Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress about how to get to heaven.)