Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD   [1] [2] >>
Moderator Smilie Warning, this thread contains spoilers for the ROTK SEE DVD! Moderator Smilie

Okay, I wanted to start this thread in anticipation of the release of the SEE DVD of ROTK in November. This thread is for all information pertaining to the SEE DVD. Feel free to post anything you have heard, rather it be rumors, or something that has been confirmed, or if you just want to speculate on what may, or may not be included on the SEE DVD.

For starters I want to deal with some things that we know to be true, and confirmed at this point. I guess the most important thing first of all is that PJ has said on record that he has completed the editing of SEE DVD, and that the run time is 4 hours, and 10 minutes. This means that weíre going to get most of the footage back that was included in the original cut. Hereís a quote from PJ (from an interview with filmforce) that backs up what Iím talking about:

Quote:
We had a 4 hour 15 minute cut of Return of the King with everything in there that we shot but it was too long. It felt like the emotional impact of the film was being diluted, it was just too long. So we started trimming the film back and the Saruman scene was one of many scenes we cut. Obviously, an hour of the film has been cut out of the theatrical version to get the length down. The length to me was totally related to the emotional impact of the last 20-30 minutes and I wanted that to be as strong as it could. The longer the film was, the least strong it got because you felt like you'd been there for too long and it lost its impact.

Now having that established, here are some scenes that have been confirmed to be in the SEE DVD,

The Voice of Saurman (quoting PJ from filmforce):

Quote:
... But the scene's great and it will be on the DVD and everyone will get a chance to see it. It's a good scene and at least it will complete the story in terms of the three films.

Hereís another quote on the matter from an article in Newsweek:

Quote:
Saruman: Jackson filmed a scene for 'The Two Towers' in which Wormtongue kills the traitorous wizard, then bumped it to 'Return of the King'--and then cut it because it felt like old business, which slowed the new movie. A shame. Again, that's what DVDs are for.

Houses of Healing (this quote comes from Newsweek as well):

Quote:
Houses of Healing: In the novel, Eowyn and Faramir convalesce here after battle. Aragorn heals her; she falls harder for him; Faramir falls for her. Jackson shot it, but felt the movie had strayed from Frodo too long. Viggo Mortensen was sad to learn (from Newsweek) the scene was gone. It'll be on the DVD.

More Corsair scenes (including an extended PJ cameo, also if you didnít notice it in the theatrical cut, you can see PJ on one of the ships), this quote comes from an interview PJ did with USA Today:

Quote:
Is that you as a pirate aboard the Corsair ship in King?

PJ: "That's me. I filmed a longer sequence where Aragorn and the ghosts storm the ship. But I actually cut myself out as well, you see. I get killed by Legolas." He chuckles: "That will be a must for the DVD. More shots of me!"

More extended scenes of Frodo and Sam climbing Mt. Doom (this quote comes from Nola.com):

Quote:
Sam's big moment comes when Frodo seems unable to take another step.

"It was the scene I had the highest hopes for and it was such a sacred acting experience that I think it had reached a kind of mythic intensity in my imagination, and I don't think it lives up to it in my own mind," Astin said. "Except I'm gratified by a lot of the people who talk about how moving it was for them."

He said the extended-edition DVD will improve the scene by including more of the build-up.

At the moment that seems to be all of the stuff that has been confirmed, but I was reading an interview with PJ about a month ago (which I canít seem to locate now), and he said that they had filmed the scene where Frodo and Sam get caught up with the Orc regiment, and that would be on the SEE DVD also.

Here are some other scenes I suspect will be on the SEE DVD because I know they filmed these scenes,

Mouth of Sauron (you can clearly see where this was removed in the theatrical cut).

Frodo and Sam at the Crossroads.

Gandalfís confrontation with the Witch-King.

Merry pledging his allegiance to King Theoden.

Also Viggo Mortensen said in an interview recently that almost half of his scenes in ROTK werenít included in the theatrical cut (HoH would be a good example), so I strongly suspect we will see much more of him in the SEE. Well thatís all from me now. I know that Iím forgetting a few scenes that I know were filmed, so Iíll add those later on when my brain is functioning properly.
Good Morning Smilie
That sounds about right to me Elfstone, but getting all that in, in just an hour may be a tad bit tight. Still it will make the story hang together better, and as I think PJ said, "The theatre version was for the money counters; the SEE DVD's are for the fans."

Any idea when the DVDs will be released?
Quote:
Any idea when the DVDs will be released?

Well the SEE won't be out until November (drat), that came straight from PJ. As far as the TC goes, I've been hearing May, but I'm not sure about that. When I know for certain, I'll post it here (unless someone beats me to it).

Also, here's part of that interview with PJ I was talking about in my original post:

Quote:
THE ONCE AND FUTURE 'KING'

Now a mere few days until the theatrical premiere of The Return of the King, and director Peter Jackson has already begun talking about the eventual extended cut of the third film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. "Thereís about an hour's worth of finished cut scenes that we could put into a movie, and we'll put at least half of them into an extended cut," Jackson said. "There's a sequence with Saruman (Christopher Lee) at Isengard that's about seven minutes long. We shot some quite memorable scenes from the book that aren't in the movie, like when Frodo and Sam are disguised as orcs. There's a section where they actually end up in the orc army for a short period of time." Comic relief segments could make a comeback as well, he said. "There's actually a funny Legolas/Gimli scene where they play a drinking competition to see who can get drunk the quickest," he said. "That was in the banquet scene near the beginning of the movie, and we just felt that the comedic tone of it wasn't helping us jump in and establish a lot of narrative tension." Thanks to Video Store Magazine.

I know it's not 100% confirmation, but what I get out of this is that PJ is saying the Orc regiment scene with Frodo and Sam will be included on the SEE DVD (keeping fingers crossed).
Elf Smilie
Yeah, the overhearing of the warrior and the tracker talking about that gobbler just before Frodo and Sam joined the Orc army was another of my favorites; though, I especially liked the BBC Radio version where the two Orc units met at the entrance to UdŻn. "Now then, now then, what's all this." and "You vile eared bag of donkey droppings" or some such words; and in the confusion our two heroes climbed over the edge of the high kerb and really deserted in earnest. óand then my own additionóthey went off singing:
Quote:
We're off to see the Mountain, The Wonderful Cracks of Doom.
You'll find it is a mound of a Mount If ever a Mount! there was.
If ever oh ever a Mount! there was The Mountain is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because.
Because of the wonderful things it does.
We're off to see the Mountain. The Wonderful Cracks of Doom. Orc Grinning Smilie
We wants the Orc March, and they can even put in "Where there's a whip, then there's a way" if they like.
Watch the movie again and play my favourite game, spotting where the cuts are made, this one is the most obvious, what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor? Obviously there's something there, ain't that fun? Also, it looks a lot like there is a Mouth of Sauron sequence featuring Frodo's mail shirt at the black gate, or is that just my wishful thinking?
Quote:
Watch the movie again and play my favourite game, spotting where the cuts are made, this one is the most obvious, what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor? Obviously there's something there, ain't that fun? Also, it looks a lot like there is a Mouth of Sauron sequence featuring Frodo's mail shirt at the black gate, or is that just my wishful thinking?

(Elfstone sings "Where there's a whip, there's a way...") Tongue Smilie

Yeah, I like to try and spot where the cuts were made too. I've only seen the TC twice, but to me the most obvious cut is the MoS scene at the Black Gate. I know the scene was filmed, and you can literally see where they cut that whole sequence out. Also Toy Biz is releasing a MoS action figure in a special package in October so....

Anyway, even though neither one of those two scenes has been officially confirmed at this point, I'd wager a good dollar that both will indeed be on the SEE DVD.
Orc Smiling Smilie
Quote:
what the heck happened to Sam and Frodo's orc gear in Mordor?
When they left Cirith Ungol, they were wearing Orc gear and then they were on the mountain in their civies. So we know they made the cuts there.

How the heck did Pippin find Merry on that field of carnage? Did his intuition tell him to look under all the Oliphaunts or just where the flies were thickest? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
This is interesting,

( From dvdpremiereawards.com)

Quote:
On the heels of capturing four Golden Globes and collecting a leading 11 Academy Awards nominations for the latest film in its signature property, New Line Home Entertainment will bring out The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on DVD in May, earlier than its first two installments, according to retail sources.

For The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, New Line released the first DVD version in August, then followed up with an extended edition in November.

The extended editions arrived just before the next film bowed in theaters.

With no further Lord of the Rings theatrical installment with which to time a DVD release, New Line is moving up the timetable.

After the first release in May, the extended edition of Return of the King would likely hit stores in September, according to sources.

Also being toyed with is a boxed set featuring all three non-extended versions that would also be available in May.

A set of all three extended versions could come in the fourth quarter.

Director Peter Jackson was quoted last week as saying that the extended version of Return of the King would be 4 hours and 10 minutes.

New Line said no release plans have been set and no announcement will be made until after the Oscars telecast on Feb. 29.

Not confirmed yet, but who knows? Oh please let the SEE come out in Sept! One thing Iím a little bitter about though is, I hope NL doesnít end up releasing a box set of all three SEE DVDís. They said a while back that they wouldnít do that to the fans that have already shelled out all kinds of dough for the DVDís. Personally, I purchased both the super deluxe SEE versions of both FOTR, and TTT (the ones that came with the limited edition statues by WETA of the Argonath, and Gollum). Iím also planning on getting the super deluxe SEE version of ROTK, so if NL does end up doing a box set of some sort, it better not have any new stuff on them, like all the deleted scenes that didnít get used in the SEEís (I know thereís a ton of them, including a rumored death of Gil-Galad scene that didnít get used in the prologue of FOTR).

I want those deleted scenes, just the ones that are finished, and polished that didnít get used! I read in an interview with PJ a while back that there was over 500 hours of footage filmed for all three movies, and even with all of the SEEís, we still only get to see like 12 hours of that 500. Granted probably at least half of those 500 hours I donít need to see, but it just makes me wonder how much more stuff got filmed that we donít know about?
Elf Confused Smilie
Quote:
I read in an interview with PJ a while back that there was over 500 hours of footage filmed for all three movies, and even with all of the SEEís, we still only get to see like 12 hours of that 500

I take it a lot of those 500 hours are also shots of the same scene taken from multiple camera angles.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do release a special boxed set as well as the original extended DVDs. Now that the last movie is out of the way, they are going to milk this cow until it's dry.
Quote:
I take it a lot of those 500 hours are also shots of the same scene taken from multiple camera angles. I wouldn't be surprised if they do release a special boxed set as well as the original extended DVDs. Now that the last movie is out of the way, they are going to milk this cow until it's dry.

Yeah that's what I meant by at least half of that footage I don't need to see, most of it is multiple angle, and sequence stuff, but again, I want those darn deleted scenes that didnít get used. They did a meeting of the White Council scene for the beginning of FOTR that didnít get used either that I would love to see (C. Parker, the guy who played Haldir talked about that scene in an interview).

Your probably right too Val (sigh), NL most likely will do some sort of box set deal eventually, going back on their word (itís funny how a billion dollars world wide off of one film can change somebodyís mind, ha ha), and letís face it, if you find a gold mine, you donít stop digging until you got all the gold. All the more reason why I strongly suspect we will see PJ make The Hobbit after he's done with King Kong. Can you say cash cow?
Cow Sleeping Smilie
Hate to double post, but here's another interesting little item. This was posted on TORN today, it comes from a writer named Lynne who personally attended the SBFF Modern Master award ceremony with PJ (which was right across the street from my pad),

Quote:
I'm next, I'm next, I'm next. What the heck was I going to ask him??? Brain
dial tone kicks in nnnnnnnnnnnnnn, NO! Wait, idiot. Ask about the ROTK EE. That's
what you really want to know. Ask! Ask!

Pete is peeled away from the wooing fans and the handler introduces me to Peter
Jackson, Director of the Lord of the Rings, hero of my life (direct transcript):

Me: Congratulations on your recent Oscar nominations!

Pete: Oh, thank you so much.

Me: Could you tell us a little bit about what we can look forward to on the
extended edition of Return of the King-your favorite scene, perhaps?

(Husband meanwhile slips in the poster and nails the autograph. Go husband!
Then he resumes snapping pics of me interviewing Pete.)

Pete: Well, yes, the extended edition has 50 minutes of new footage. I finished
cutting it just before I came over here. And I likeÖwell a scene that was
not necessary to the plot and we didn't use it in the movie, but I've always
been quite fond of it isÖwhen Frodo and Sam end up in the orc army. It
wasn't essential, but it's kind of fun, and I've always been fond of it. That
was a hard one to cut out.

Me: That was the one scene I was most hoping would be back in!

Pete: Oh, good.

So it certainly seems that 50 minutes of restored footage, and the scene with Frodo and Sam in the Orc army is the official word now.
Elf Smilie
That's good then! Big Smile Smilie
The official announcement was made yesterday over at lordoftherings.net that the TC of ROTK will be available in the U.S. on May 25th, but no official date has yet been announced for the SEE. All NL is saying so far is ďHoliday 2004Ē, which by my best guess means sometime in November (which PJ has been saying all along). Iím guessing that the SEE will be released on the first Tuesday of November (11/2). Weíll see down the road if Iím right.
Elf Winking Smilie

One thing NL did announce yesterday though is that there will be no SEE preview on the TC of ROTK, all the more reason why Iíll be waiting to purchase only the SEE this year. I was hoping (as were many others) that with the TC of ROTK being released earlier than the previous two TCís, that we might see the release date of the SEE bumped up, but alas, no such luck. Iím going to go nuts waiting for the SEE!
Very Mad Smilie
Quote:
The official announcement was made yesterday over at lordoftherings.net that the TC of ROTK will be available in the U.S. on May 25th, but no official date has yet been announced for the SEE. All NL is saying so far is ďHoliday 2004Ē, which by my best guess means sometime in November (which PJ has been saying all along). Iím guessing that the SEE will be released on the first Tuesday of November (11/2). Weíll see down the road if Iím right.

I can't wait!!! Hurray!!!!
What Ive always wondered is whatever happened to the footage we got to see in the commercial previews?? I remember before the movie came out that there was a scene where (I think its Eomer) falls to the ground crying in anguish over someone, either Eowyn or Theoden. I can tell it was the battle of the Pelennor scene but it was not included in the theatrical version! There was also a scene where Merry grabs Pippins hand and says "we will see the Shire again Pippin". I dont remember that being in the movie either. It looked like it was to be in the scene where Pippin rides away with Gandalf.

Its not the first time Ive seen scenes shown in the commercial previews and then they never showed up in the movie. That really annoys me cuz I was really looking forward to seeing that scene with Eomer!!! It looked really good!! Has anyone else noticed these scenes im talking about? And do you think that theyll end up in the extended DVD version since they were in the trailer anyway??? I certainly hope so!!
WOW! I absoutly CANT wait till the the DVD comes out. For the movie, i was really dissappointed that the part where Gandalf confrons the witch king was cut out and Saurons lt. Oh well, I understand that the movie producers need to make the movie at a limmited ammount of time.
I cant wait till the set of all three extended versions come out! Ill ask that for christmas. Great gift idea. EEEEee!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT!
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed these scenes im talking about? And do you think that theyll end up in the extended DVD version since they were in the trailer anyway???

Yes Iíve certainly noticed the scenes that were in the trailer but got cut for the theatrical release (I know many others have too).

Iím fairly confident that the Eomer scene you referred to Ringy, as well as the Pippin scene, and the Gandalf vs. Wiki scene that Woofy mentioned will all be included on the SEE DVD. Those scenes havenít been officially confirmed to be on the SEE yet, but it would seem like a lock because NL made PJ cut an hour of ďfinished footageĒ from the TC of ROTK, and for the SEE, PJ is restoring 50 minutes of that footage. So wereí going to get nearly everything that was originally cut!

On a related note, Howard Shore announced a couple of days ago that he has finished with the scoring for the SEE of ROTK.

Still wish we didnít have to wait til November, but alas I guess it gives us something else to still look forward to!
Elf Smilie
Quote:
Still wish we didnít have to wait til November, but alas I guess it gives us something else to still look forward to!

For the past four or five years we have been waiting patiently for the next instalment or the extended DVD releases. I have kind of become accustomed to this yearning, and I've a feeling once the last DVD has come and gone, I will be left feeling like Sam must have, watching Frodo sailing away from the Havens. Maybe by then, however, I'll have the prospect of the Hobbit to look forward to.
Quote:
For the past four or five years we have been waiting patiently for the next instalment or the extended DVD releases. I have kind of become accustomed to this yearning, and I've a feeling once the last DVD has come and gone, I will be left feeling like Sam must have, watching Frodo sailing away from the Havens. Maybe by then, however, I'll have the prospect of the Hobbit to look forward to.

Youíre right Val, it is nice to still have something to look forward to, even though I do get a little impatient sometimes because itís the SEE of ROTK that Iíve wanted all along. I definitely think that itís safe to say that we can start looking forward to The Hobbit happening in a few years also!

Anyway, hereís that little snippet from Billy Boydís recent TVGuide interview pertaining to the SEE of ROTK that I also posted to the Frontpage News;

Quote:
TVGO: Finally, an obligatory Lord of the Rings question. Can you spill any details about what's going to be on the extended-edition DVD that's due out in November?

Boyd: Dominic (Monaghan, who played Merry) and I just finished recording our commentary for the extended edition and there's lots of extra stuff. A lot of my footage actually made it into the theatrical version, but there were a couple of scenes I'm glad are included in this cut. There's a scene with Pippin and Faramir that I feel helps explain their relationship. Fans will be very happy with the DVD. Some of the extra scenes they put on there are just fantastic.

Itíll be interesting to see just what exactly that scene entails. Elf Smilie
Accck!!! I hate double posting, but I have some new news on the SEE of ROTK for those who may be interested.

TORN just did an exclusive interview with Matt Lasorsa, New Line Home Entertainmentís senior vice president of marketing, and Matt offered some insight into the much anticipated home video release in a very informative Q&A.

Iíve quoted a few bits from the interview that pertain to the SEE DVD of ROTK, take a look,

Quote:
Q (TORN): When is the Special Extended Edition coming out?

A (M.L.): It is scheduled to release just before Christmas 2004.

Q: Why isnít the Special Extended Edition hitting stores earlier, since the theatrical DVD is releasing sooner?

A: Logically, it would seem that it could be done sooner, especially without another Lord of the Rings film to finish; however, that hasnít been the case. Peter Jackson was quite busy with many commitments during the awards season. Since he was away from New Zealand, he could not cut an extended version of the film. Traditionally, after he cuts the film, there are months and months of work to do to complete the cut Ė including Howard Shoreís additional score and Weta Digitalís new special effects.

For the special features, many of the interviews with the cast and crew were completed during pickups for the next film, as everyone was in the same place (New Zealand). Now that all filming is complete, everyone is scattered across the world Ė making it more difficult to get the interviews to create bonus materials. It would have been ideal to release it sooner, but we didnít want to compromise the quality of the DVD to get the product in stores earlier.

Q: How long is the Extended version of The Return of the King?

A: It looks like the running time will be over four hours long.

Q: What additional scenes were added?

A: Like The Two Towers extended version, the story of Faramir is shown in greater detail. There are returning characters and new characters, such as Saruman after the flooding of Isengard and the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Much of the new footage contains extra dialogue and action to further elaborate on each characterís personal journey.

So now we at least know for sure that Mouth of Sauron is in (which I suspected all along)!
Elf Smilie
Return of the King will arrive in a Extended cut on DVD this November. Director Peter Jackson has just finished the edit and it will have a total runtime of four hours and ten minutes.

The Theatrical version comes out in May a good two months earlier than when the Fellowship and TT came out

....taken from www.dvdtown.com......

Im going to save myself for the Special Edition and not bother with the theatrical version dvd, will probably end up buying the American released edition seeing as you guys got the better deal with the easter eggs on the last 2 special editions, we Brits got nothing....no Gollum acceptance speech and no MTV spoof, no fair!!!
Is there the same problem between British and US DVD versions that there is with VHS tapes? I know I bought the British VHS of Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" because it wasn't available in the US (some studio owns the movie rights) and I couldn't view it on either of my players. This was due to the difference in our TV standards: you have PAL and we have NTSC, you have more scan lines per picture.

I loved that story, having seen it once on Public Television about ten years ago, and having read the book a couple times since. The video series was very good; I could almost taste the underdark.
We have to use multi-regional dvd players in order to play Region 1 dvd's since our standard format is Region 2, with a multi regional player you can play a disc from any region then.....as for VHS, well PAL is the format this country uses and you can buy video players that are NTSC compatible, alot of the newer ones are nowadays but Im not sure how it works for you guys, I know your format is NTSC but can your player play PAL too? Otherwise our tapes wont play on your recorders, there is a steady decline in buying pre-recorded video tapes since the introduction of DVD and when dvd recording becomes cheaper then I think the trusty old video player wouldve seen its day
Hereís a few things pertaining to the ROTK SEE DVD I came across recently. Not much we didnít know already, but its nice to hear that the Crossroads scene is in, I was really hoping it would be on the SEE! Nice to hear a little more about the Houses of Healing too! This info comes from The Ultimate DVD Magazine. The following contains a few excerpts from the article:

Quote:
The projected running time will be about 4hrs 15mins meaning almost a full hour of additional scenes. Key among them are the following sequences:

~ An atmospheric scene where Frodo & Sam reach the crossroads between Osgiliath and Minas Morgul and see an immense statue of an ancient Gondorian king 'whose head is gone and in its place was set in mockery a round rough-hewn stone, rudely painted by savage hands in the likeness of a grinning face'. Frodo then sees the stone head of the king lying by the side of the road,, which now has a small garland of white star-like flowers growing across its brow and exclaims, "Look Sam! The King has got a crown again!" Conceptual artist Alan Lee notes "Its a scene from the book that we all wanted to capture, as it's a powerful symbol of hope".

~ More scenes will be added to Frodo's and Sam's journey through the wastelands of Mordor. While still disguised as Orcs, they are forced to join a column of Orc soldiers, as a tyrannical Orc overseer cracks his whips to keep the slovenly Orc soldiers in line. Later, Frodo and Sam face growing despair over succeeding in their task, until Sam gains newly renewed hope after looking up through the dark clouds and sees a white star twinkling in the sky. "That's a beautiful moment from the book" notes screenwriter Philippa Boyens. "It resonates so much with the presence of people like Galadriel and Gandalf. We actually shot that moment, not once, but twice. Something important happens inside of Sam at that moment."

Re the Mouth of Sauron scene: "... Sauron's emissary reveals Frodo's mithril vest in triumph, falsely stating that Frodo is dead and his quest has failed. This gives a completely different meaning to Aragorn's line 'For Frodo', before leading his troops into battle, since it would now seem to be a completely futile and suicidal effort."

Faramir & Eowyn were mentioned: "In the Houses of Healing Faramir lies near his death, in the care of loreth, an elderly nurse, when Aragorn arrives and helps restore Faramir's health. "It is said in old lore that that the hands of a king are the hands of a healer" says Loreth. Then, after Faramir is revived, he meets Eowyn, recovering from her battle with the witch-king, and the two become attracted to each other, making more sense to the loving looks they exchange during Aragorn's coronation ceremony."

There were more scenes discussed but these were the important ones. Oh, and remember that pic of Sauron impaled on the spike? Apparently it's in.

Not sure whatís going on with that last line about Sauron being impaled on a spike? I think the writer of the article made a mistake and meant to say Saurman. Iím still holding out hope that they donít use the ďwizard kabobĒ death scene for Saurman though!
Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
I think they will, fantastic, I'll enjoy that.
A few more days to go! A few more days to go! Wiggle Smilie Am I the only one who is counting down the days until the dvd comes out. My sister and I have a whole evening planed just to sit down and watch the whole thing extras and all. Oh my, i am so exited. But a few more months until extended dvd Sad Smilie
I am excited also Fox!!!!! For anyone in the USA, ROTK comes out TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah!!!!!!! Jumping Flame Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Wiggle Smilie
I can not wait!
Yesterday Amazon told me my copy was in the mail. Orc Smiling Smilie

But we still have to wait until November to see the Special Extended Edition of RotK. Orc Sad Smilie
Quote:
But we still have to wait until November to see the Special Extended Edition of RotK.

Yes, and possibly even till December. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Blah, I just wish I could have the SEE now! No matter what, I'm not breaking down and buying the theatrical cut this time as there will be no special preview of the SEE this time around. I will rent the theatrical cut, probably next weekend though, and then watch it a time or three!
Smoke Smilie
I havent seen Return of the King yet, this time round I was saving myself for the SE to come out which admittedly is nearly a year from theattrical release to SE DVD release and now temptation is getting the better of me. I may just put the 2 disc set away and carrying on waiting cause I really want to see ROTK in its full glory even if it is over 4 hours long particularly the House of Healing as that sounds like an excellent scene that was omitted. I just wish that the SE would come out a few months early or failing that September would be a good time, round about the 26th, which of course would fall perfectly for my birthday lol

Big Smile Smilie
I have been reading the post and i havent heard anything about a scene of "The Scouring of the Shire" does ANYONE know if there will be a scene for that in the Extended DVD? Big Smile Smilie
Ive heard word from a reliable source that the ROTK Special Edition has a temporary pencilled in release date of 22nd November, just thought you'ld like to know
Aragorn, my friend's brother gets news like this before i ever can. I was complaining about the scouring of the shire not being in the TC and he told me it was definately going to be in the SEE, but i'm not sure where he got this information
Quote:
i havent heard anything about a scene of "The Scouring of the Shire" does ANYONE know if there will be a scene for that in the Extended DVD?

Quote:
I was complaining about the scouring of the shire not being in the TC and he told me it was definately going to be in the SEE, but i'm not sure where he got this information

Sorry guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be no "Scouring" on the SEE of ROTK. PJ and Co. decided along time ago that the "Scouring" wouldn't work for their film version of ROTK because it would seem anti-climatic. The fact that there would be no "Scouring" scene has been common knowledge since the release of FOTR.

Quote:
Ive heard word from a reliable source that the ROTK Special Edition has a temporary pencilled in release date of 22nd November

I hope that info ends up being correct Sevrinn! That would be great, because I've recently been hearing that the SEE may be pushed back until Dec., or Jan.
Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
A January release is taking the biscuit, I think the main issue with its release is the time taken to complete the cast and crew commentaries, I do hope its a November release like the last 2 editions before it. I would love to see some bloopers on the disc, they always seem to go down well with people
NO SCOURING?!?!?!?!? Shocked Elf Smilie NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*
inhale*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Very Sad Smilie Orc Sad Smilie

Moderator Smilie Please don't leave long strings of letters, as they cause the whole page to be stretched - Valedhelgwath. Moderator Smilie
I think it will be before Christmas even if they have to omit something, for they will lose big bucks ($) if they miss the Holiday market and the longer they wait, the fewer copies they will sell for these are for we fanatics and the others may just say 'Forget about it' and spend their money on Spiderman II or Rocky 47.
I'm glad to know that I am not the only only who is mad about the 'Scouring of the Shire' not being in the movie. Exploding Head Smilie They didn't even film it. I Sad Smilie 've heard that another reason why they didn't put it in was because PJ didn't like that part of the book. But I am really excited for SEE to come out!! Big Smile Smilie My dad is mad at me because I want to buy SEE and the set with all three regular editions. Ha Ha Ha Smilie Does anyone else thinks that that's a dumb idea?
Quote:
I think it will be before Christmas even if they have to omit something, for they will lose big bucks ($) if they miss the Holiday market

In short, what Iíve been hearing recently is that New Line is possibly considering releasing the SEE of ROTK in theaters first. They are toying around with the idea of some kind of ďTrilogy TuesdayĒ or something like that, and this is the reason the release date for the SEE DVD might be pushed back.

When PJís LOTR films were first coming out, the SEEís DVDís were really not much more than an after thought for New Line, and they werenít putting much stock into them. However, much to New Lineís delight, the SEE DVDís have ended up being enormously successful for them, and they realize now just how lucrative the SEE DVD market is for them now.

They wonít drop the ball with the marketing aspects of the SEE ROTK DVD; theyíre obviously just trying to figure out how they can make another gazillion dollars off of this thing (like they need it at this point).
Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Quote:
I'm glad to know that I am not the only only who is mad about the 'Scouring of the Shire' not being in the movie. They didn't even film it. I 've heard that another reason why they didn't put it in was because PJ didn't like that part of the book. But I am really excited for SEE to come out!! My dad is mad at me because I want to buy SEE and the set with all three regular editions. Does anyone else thinks that that's a dumb idea?

Youíre definitely not alone there Arwen. Lots of folks were upset that there would be no Scouring in the films, itís just that most of us have known this to be the case for quite some time so weíve already had our chance to vent and rant, and to get it out of our systems.

Also, the Scouring not being in the films didnít have anything to do with PJ not liking that part of the book. Again, it was just the collective decision of the PJ brain trust that the film wouldnít work well with so many multiple endings.

Personally, being a book purist at heart, I would have much preferred to have the Scouring in the film, but I understand the decision that was made on the part of the filmmakers, and honestly, the first time I read LOTR (ah the first time), everything that happened after Mt. Doom did seem kind of anti-climatic (Frodo, Sam and Gollum at Mt . Doom, and the Ring finally being cast into the fire is the real pinnacle of the story IMHO), and itís not until you get to the very end of the book that you realize that everything that happens after Mt. Doom is still so very vital, and critically important to the story.
Elf Smilie
I noticed a few scenes on the extra disc that were not in the theatrical release. I don't know whether it will make it onto the extended DVD, but there was a nice scene where Merry swore fealty to King Theoden. It seemed a lovely scene, where unlike Denethor's cold acceptance of Pippin, Theoden appears genuinely moved by Merry's offer. It was nice to see, as it was one of the things I was disappointed at not seeing.
Quote:
I don't know whether it will make it onto the extended DVD, but there was a nice scene where Merry swore fealty to King Theoden.

(EDIT) Actually, what I should say is that I'm 90% certain at this point that scene will be included on the SEE, but I don't think there has been official confirmation on that one yet?
Elf Smilie
Yes, I don't remember seeing anything concerning the heart-warming relationship between Merry and King Theoden in the movies so far. Shaking Head Smilie Because of this deficiency, when Theoden falls on the field of battle, my eyes didn't tear up like they did for the scene in the book. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
Just thought that I would mention that a website called play.com is reporting a release date of 11/22/04 for the ROTK SEE.

New Line hasnít officially confirmed this yet, but I hope this will end up being an accurate date!
Elf Smilie
Quote:
Yes, I don't remember seeing anything concerning the heart-warming relationship between Merry and King Theoden in the movies so far. Because of this deficiency, when Theoden falls on the field of battle, my eyes didn't tear up like they did for the scene in the book.

Easy explanation. King Theoden isn't very heart-warming in the movies as well, as he was in the books. He's just a bitter old man in the movies. "Let's change some character", i shouldn't wonder.

Anyway, i'm sure someone will give me the Special Extended DVD of ROTK for X-mas or something. I only watch it for the complete cast and director commentary on the movies... i want to hear their explanation for what they have done.

Seriously, i wonder if the SEE of ROTK will be more watchable than the cinematic version, which was difficult to sit through, and not only from the Tolkien purist point.

Anyway, thx for the date. I'll mark it in my diary.
Quote:
Just thought that I would mention that a website called play.com is reporting a release date of 11/22/04 for the ROTK SEE.

New Line hasnít officially confirmed this yet, but I hope this will end up being an accurate date!

Elfstone, this is what had been predicted to me by a friend who works for a DVD distributor and I had mentioned this earlier in the thread, lets hope that it is, he says its pencilled in for the 22nd November but its only a temporary date and may change before then which is typical for a distributor to do
Several resources have reported that the SE of ROTK will have all cut scenes restored (Christopher Lee returns!) and the total running time for the film itself is close to 5 hours in all, thats minus any additional extras on the other 2 discs.There was also a rumour that the SE may have been pencilled in for an August release but that has been mooted for a more favourable November release as last stated in a previous post of mine to cash in for the holiday season

One site you should check out is the following link, some old stuff and some new but it has Jackson explaining why he cut Saruman's scenes out of the film etc, Sean Astin interview, a good read anyway

http://film.guardian.co.uk/lordoftherings/0,11016,583094,00.html
The Return Of The King: Collector's Box Set (The Lord Of The Rings)

Pre-order now at Play.com, Ive already put my order in but thisis what you can expect, note the collectible!!!

our price: £33.99 Delivered

availability: Due for release on 22/11/2004
RRP: £49.99 You save: £16.00 (32%)

R2 - Will only play on European Region 2 or multi-region DVD players.

Special Features
Specially extended Director's Cut edition of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King' (4 Discs)
Collectible item (tbc)
Bonus disc of value added material
Printed Companion Piece
*All features to be confirmed!

Back on the first of June in this thread I posted that I had been hearing some information that the SEE of ROTK might be released in theaters first, and that could be the main reason the release date for the DVD was being pushed back.

Lately Iíve been seeing more and more evidence to support this. Nothing official yet, but it is really starting to look like New Line will be releasing the SEE in theaters first. I actually would prefer to see the SEE of ROTK on the big screen first, so I hope this happens. As soon as I see something official, I will post it here!

Adding this from darkhorizons.com;

Quote:
LOTR: Return of the King: An employee of the Odeon theater chain in the U.K. has posted a message on a Lord of the Rings website disclosing that the chain has been notified that the three extended versions of the Rings films will be distributed to theaters in October, ahead of their DVD release in December. Another employee of a theater in Denmark said that his managers received a message from the films' distributors noting that the three extended versions will be shipped to "a select number of cinemas" in Denmark in "mid-October".

Elf Smilie
I heard Howard Shore on the radio yesterday say that he has a cameo appearance in the SEE RotK DVD. He was in Seattle yesterday to lead the Seattle Symphony in his The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: A Symphony in Six Movements. The interview can be heard online via The Beat, KUOW-FM, our local public radio station's afternoon arts-and-entertainment program.
I hope the ROTK SEE will make more sense to me than the theatrical version. There were some parts that were very confusing (well, at least to me). Did anyone understand why we suddenly saw Arwen lying on a coach and saying "i wish i'd seen him again" (or something like that) after Elrond told Aragorn "Arwen is dying". But then we don't see anything of Arwen anymore, until the end, where she suddenly is back, alive and well.

Also, in TTT we saw a lot of "chemistry" between …owyn and Aragorn, but after Aragorn says to …owyn in ROTK she only "loves a vision" (or something the like) and then walks off, …owyn is suddenly just OK with that? I didn't see any desperation and "because he only showed you pity, you sought death at the battlefield" in the threatrical version.

The end was also confusing, there were like 3 black screens which make me think the movie was already over... perhaps in the ROTK SEE there will be more continuity, and we will see more scenes near the end of the movie?!

I hope new scenes in SEE will at least make the movie plot a bit more clearer for me at those points i just mentioned.
  [1] [2] >>