Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > THE ROTK SEE DVD THREAD   << [1] [2]
RoTK, as long as it was, seemed hurried and fast paced. It was those small scenes that were missing that us book fans need to have in the extended DVD. Saruman, Faramir and Eowyn, etc. Those parts make or break the movie for us.
I saw this on another site earlier today;

Quote:
I work at Best Buy and the in-store date according to our new release schedule is December 7th. This of course would allow the longest possible time for holiday shoppers to pick this one up. So there you have it everyone, the king comes home Dec. 7th!

Don't know that this has been officially confirmed yet, but it seems likely based on other info I've been hearing. Also, that release date is specifically for the U.S., the European release date will probably be around the same time though I would think?
Elf Smilie
The release date for the RotK SEE DVD has now been officially confirmed for Dec. 14 in the U.S.
Look Around Smilie
Here's a really cool teaser trailer for the SEE of ROTK for anybody who's interested. Lot of spolilers in this one, so you have been warned!
Elf Smilie

ROTK SEE Teaser
The release date for the Netherlands is set on the 10th of December ... the last time I heard.
Cool trailer!!! It does have a bunch of the scenes we were wanting, though I did see that pointy thing for the unwanted wizard-kabob.

Amazon says they'll be shipping my copy of the SEE of ROTK as well as H.P. and the Prisoner of Azkaban and The Artwork Diskworld to me on 16 December.
Nice to see the Mouth of Sauron (who appears to need a dentist), Faramir and Éowyn in Minas Tirith, the Witch-King vs Gandalf, and Baragorn challenging Sauron through the Palantir. With these elements included, it's possible that the ROTK SEE plot will make a bit more sense.
I just wanted to add their are some screenshots for ROTK SEE some of them are old but their are some good ones Here
Note: Contains spoilers!

(Grondy merely fixed the broken link.)
In my opioion, I think they could have put more important parts of the ROTK, if they left out some parts that where added in and didn't need to be. Example the whole Eowyn and Aragorn part. I mean there was the thinking that he liked her, but what tey did not put in and was real important is he is BETHROD to Arwen, and then they put in that whole deal of Arwen leaving and not leaving and so on. In the LOTr they put in she would become a mortal, and then they go and change what she said but still keep it. I thought it was just unneed. Irima-Arwen
There is a new 6 minute long sneak preview of the ROTK SEE up at the official site now (lordoftherings.net) for anyone who might be interested. This is different from the teaser trailer I left a link to in my previous post, obviously a heck of a lot longer, with many new spoilers!
Elf Smilie
Yes, I saw that, and my question has been offically answered. Legolas's and Gimli's drinking competition is in the movie for sure!
Oooooooh my copy of the Special Extended DVD arrived this morning!!!!!!!!!

I shall savour it.... wait for a nice quiet time to watch it...... no hurry..... or is there?

Quote:
Oooooooh my copy of the Special Extended DVD arrived this morning!!!!!!!!!
I shall savour it.... wait for a nice quiet time to watch it...... no hurry..... or is there?

Wow you got yours already, cool! The SEE of ROTK doesn't come out in the U.S. until next Tuesday, so I've still got to wait (even though there are a few places in the U.S. that are already selling it illegally).
Orc Sad Smilie
I CAN'T GET ANY EXTENDED EDITION BECAUSE MY PARENTS SAY BUYING ALL THE MOVIES FOR ME IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky you!
Loni,
Please do not use all uppercase when typing a message. We do not like to be yelled at. Moderator Smilie
They don't release it here in India Sad Smilie
Can you buy it from Amazon, Floyd?

I've checked it on eBay and you can buy a Collector's Edition of ROTK on it.
Quote:
Can you buy it from Amazon, Floyd?
When buying DVD's and VHS online you must be careful that what you get is compatable to your player and the type of TV set you own: PAL (50Hz) or NTSC (60Hz) clock speed the former is normal for England, the latter for the Canada and the USA. However, some players can automatically adjust for this.

For a better discussion of this see Which DVD Do I Buy?
So you mean when I move to England all my videos won't work? Stink!!!!!
Well - I've watched it!

Some interesting extra scenes..... but I won't discuss them until the dvds are out elsewhere - except to say it was fun seeing PJ shot by Legolas!!!!! And watch out for the Mouth of Sauron....

*Looks at V*

How is it? Worth the buy?
Uh-hu.... I think so.

Excellant.... 40 extra minutes have made all the difference. The Battle of Pelinnor Fields actually seems to last a long while now.... And my wish to see the Mouth of Sauron was granted (and what a mouth!!!!). I was not very happy to see the Witchking put Gandalf down, though.
Oh, man, that was great! I'm going to die 70 years form now a very happy man!
My copy of the Widescreen SEE DVD LOTR: Return of the King has been shipped, but I'll probably have to wait for another week for it to get here. (In the same shipment I'm getting HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Terry Pratchett's new The Art of Discworld.) This is my Christmas present to me. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
I was not very happy to see the Witchking put Gandalf down, though.

That's because PJ thought that the 'King' in 'Return of the King' referred to the Witchking.

He may be right with this new, creative insight.
My copy got here today (it came by UPS instead of USPS) so I'm here earlier today so I can start watching it tonight. Happy Elf Smilie
It's sensible to watch it during the night, as it is sure to give you sleepless nights!
Getting my copy on Saturday finally! The In-laws are out of town this weekend, so my wife and I are going over to their house on Saturday night (after X-mas shopping all day) to watch it on their 52-inch plasma big screen! Can’t wait!
Smoke Smilie
Being the Lord of the Rings fan/nutcase that I am, I became extremely hyper when I remembered thet the RotK SEE was coming out this week. I was bouncing around the kitchen on tuesday afternoon telling my mom how great it would be with all the extra scenes, commentaries, etc, and thinking that there was no way I could live without seeing it. My mom is, sadly, not of the same opinion. She said "Yeah, I read the article in the newspaper. You already have the DVD. (theatrical version) Why would you wan't another copy of the same movie?" I almost died from shock. And she claims to be the #1 Frodo fan! Why does she torture me so???? I think her brain must have been fried by all the 2 hour long conversations she has with my aunt who lives in Germany. Any ideas on how I could change her mind?
Full frontal lobotomy usually works. Or is that a full bottle in front of me? One of the two...
Quote:
You already have the DVD. (theatrical version) Why would you wan't another copy of the same movie?" I almost died from shock. And she claims to be the #1 Frodo fan! Why does she torture me so????

That sounds just like the sort of thing my mother used to say to me when she had already bought me something for Christmas that I was pestering her to get me. Hopefully it'll be in your Christmas stocking Magician.

Quote:
It's sensible to watch it during the night, as it is sure to give you sleepless nights!

I bet Virumor hates this time of year... all of us film fans enthusing about the releases. Never mind, mate. This should be the last one.... except the Hobbit and the thirteen volumes of the Silmarillion - PJ's story. Smile Smilie
Quote:
I bet Virumor hates this time of year... all of us film fans enthusing about the releases. Never mind, mate. This should be the last one.... except the Hobbit and the thirteen volumes of the Silmarillion - PJ's story.

No I think he's actually secretly happy because he hasn't had anything to complain about in about a year (Lol, just kidding Vir)!
Elf Winking Smilie
Yeah, but Virumor's guns are already primed and ready for as he says, "The Return of the King: Kong" Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I only got halfway through the commentaries last night; I fell Fast Asleep Smilie at the end of the first disk.
I haven't bought it yet (don't know if I will, might just rent it).

Return of the King Kong Big Laugh Smilie Well, Vir must be Vir! (And I mean that in the nicest way possible. Wink Smilie

Well the SEE for my money is certainly far superior to the theatrical version (no big surprise there). Overall, I was fairly pleased with the additional footage, and definitely felt like it added to the story (and made other previously existing scenes much better), but there were some things I was unhappy with (which I will discuss after X-mas).

I will say this though; watching the SEE on my In-laws big screen was truly an amazing experience! My wife and I kept remarking how it was even better than being in the theatre! Funny thing was just for comparison, after watching it for the first time on the big screen, I came home and watched it on my 29’ inch Phillips the next night, and it wasn’t even close to being the same experience! Man, I got’s to get me one of them big screens!
Elf Winking Smilie
I thought all the skulls in the City of the Dead were computer generated until I watched the extras. They made thousands and thousands and thousands of tiny little skulls for that scene and thousands more full sized ones. Amazing!
Skulls..... I thought they were being swept away by a wave of potatoes..... Skulls do make more sense I guess.
Quote:
They made thousands and thousands and thousands of tiny little skulls for that scene and thousands more full sized ones. Amazing

And i thought that Weta secretly raided some graveyards. What a disappointment.

<< [1] [2]