Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: LOTR The return of the king

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > LOTR The return of the king   
Smile Smilie Lord Of The Rings The Return Of The King. How meny people have seen it. if you have seen if you can talk about if here. Tigger Smilie
Hey Tam_my, have you read any of the posts under the other threads under this third movie section. If you go to the last page, you will see the newest posts right after the movie came out last December.

Oh, and I've see it twice and was enthralled, keeping in mind it was the story as told by Peter Jackson, not J.R.R. Tolkien. And I expect it to get three or four Oscars.
Hello, what's going on? Am I seeing double, or has someone stolen my avatar? Super Scared Smilie
I have seen it and i disliked it 3 times. I hope it will get nil oscars, although it'll probably win for best special effects or something like that. Not for best movie/actor/director : Lost in Translation will get that one. And if rotk wins anyway, then i'll move to Tibet.

And btw yes Val, it is confusing to have two members with 'Val'-avatars. For one moment i wondered why you would start a poll bout rotk... but whatever.
Quote:
I have seen it and i disliked it 3 times.

What you didn’t like it Vir, I'm absolutely shocked! Elf Winking Smilie
Yeah... seen it three times... liked it more each time! Planing on seeing it again, soon...
I've seen it once. I liked it quite a bit,but I doubt I'll be seeing it again anytime soon! Smile Smilie
I've seen it twice.

I found the trick is not to expect a word for word interpretation but to enjoy the film for just that - a film, an approximation of LotR. It was entertaining and very well done but it must be seen as a separate entity.

Yes indeed Cool Smilie . I really satisfied with the third film and seen it also twice. And yes...should buy all these extended videos and look them one after other so it will get like one Wink Smilie
I went in prepared to huff all the way through but was pleasantly surprised. I liked the 3rd best of them all and I'm looking forward to the EE to see the bits they took out.

I have seen ROTK three times already, and want to see it again! I love the movies, but I was also a fan of the books first. Tolkien is the master!
Anyone have a favorite scene in the third movie? I love the end scene where Aragorn sings to make the white tree grow... Viggo has a great voice, doesn't he? I can't wait for the extended version DVD, with the "missing scenes" about Faramir and Eowyn. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
I liked it when everybody bows for the hobbits. *sigh*
Welcome to our online home Tinuviel! Hope you will like it here!
Thanks very much Amarie! I am enjoying it, so far! Big Smile Smilie
I like the Ride of the Rohirrim part! Makes me want to shout "Death!!!!" along with them! Big Smile Smilie
Oooh I love that part too. I also like the part when Pippin is singing, and Faramir is riding with his men to probable death. It's really sad, but also very powerful.
Orc Smiling Smilie
Everyone says that Pippins voice is really naff but what makes the scene is the contrast between the strength and imminent doom of Faramir and the men that would truly follow him into death (proof of Pippin's first impression of Faramir) and the terrified but steadfast little hobbit singing to a madmad.

Sing on little Hobbit!

He sings better than Eowyn, anyway. Maybe Billy Boyd should have participated in World Idol.
I thought you might argue with me calling Denethor a madman.

Quote:
I thought you might argue with me calling Denethor a madman.

I don't think anyone can argue with that Vee! Elf Winking Smilie
Denethor is an entire lunatic in the movies. Not much argument there. But one can wonder how he became a madman, it wasn't even mentioned he had a palantir. I guess that wasn't important enough for the story. (thx, Boyens)

Fitting, how Gandalf beat him up 3 times and let him burn and jump to his doom like a human torch. Gandalf is a lunatic too. Heh, they're all lunatics. (thx, Jackson)

P.S. : i love the movies.
Quick, pump up the brainwashing.... Vir's recovering Big Laugh Smilie
*Bugy brings some water*
Brainwashing, COOL!

Seriously, now, this time I totally agree with Vir: Denethor was portrayed as a mad man, hating his (now) only son and why? For no reason, apparently! That's not cool! Not to mention the Gandalf-ninja who kicks everybody's a*ses; from his first hit on Denethor, he would've been banished from Gondor for ever!
Yeh, i forgot to add Denethor to my list of crap movie characters : he deserves to be in the line Elrond - Arwen - Faramir.
I saw the movie once and that was enough for me.....it was the lousiest movie I´ve seen sofar.....but it did give me laughs here and there......friggin hilarious how stupid this movie is....for instance when The Witchking hit Eówyn´s shield with his 4 ton block flale or whatever it is called.....it should´ve broken her arm in books but in the movies it should´ve broken Eówyn completey....I mean that big thing and with that speed.....pfft....she should´ve died there....and when she stabs his face(I guess PJ really never read the books) she is alright and even uses her arm she was attacked with to remove her helmet and reveal herself as a woman......well I don´t like the book...that´s just it!
I never got "absorbed" into the movie, if you know what I mean. I mostly sat there thinking: "Oh so he DID put that in after all, thats nice." "Well that was sort of simmular to what happend in the books.." " i guess that is suppose to look like something that happend in the book." "Oh Elrond is acting normal again, about time" "what is that?" and stuff like that.
I just sat there and just soaked in the movie both times I saw it. I'll think about analyzing it when the Extended Edition DVD comes out next Autumn and I can listen to the screenwriter's commentary as they tell us why they added to and subtracted from J.R.R. Tolkien's written grand epic.

The three movies are wonderful and while not perfect, sure beat anything anyone else has done towards bring the Professor's story to life.
Yo Grondmaster - absofrigginlutely!
They are amazing films but they aren`t faithful enough or respectful enough of the story.
The visual aspect is fantastic but with all the effort that went into making it look authentic you would think they could have kept the story true.
Well done for making the most amazing battle scenes ever made, although more individual fighting could have been shown and it did keep going away from the battle and showing hobbitses which made me not care about what they were up to as I just wanted to stay with the battle.
Quote:
I'll think about analyzing it when the Extended Edition DVD comes out next Autumn and I can listen to the screenwriter's commentary as they tell us why they added to and subtracted from J.R.R. Tolkien's written grand epic.

The three movies are wonderful and while not perfect, sure beat anything anyone else has done towards bring the Professor's story to life.

Well said Grondy, I quite agree! Elf Smilie
I have seen it 3times in cinema and so many times on dvd i've lost count i think its fantastic i love it so much! Smile Smilie
Quote:
i ]hope it will get nil oscars, although it'll probably win for best special effects or something like that. Not for best movie/actor/director : Lost in Translation will get that one. And if rotk wins anyway, then i'll move to Tibet

long time ago now, but virumor, how is tibet?[
I love the movies and completely understand the way things were sone in them. They could not fit every aspect of the books into the movies and adapted accordingly. I think they did a wonderful job. The EE are my favorite bacause they go a little deeper. You also have to keep in mind that they had to keep audiences entertained that have not read the books. Hence the amazing battle scenes.
Not to mention the amazingly sea-sick dead army. (How else do you account for the greenish tinge?) But still, I really really loved the movie(s)! Talk about love at first sight!
Oh i love this movie i've seen it over 10 times and i never get bord of it !!! and with the unpublished parts is better!!! it's a masterpiece!! In Love Smilie
my fave is where aragorn gives his speach to the men before the black gate i think that is the coolest seen I
Last night I watched for the first time the LOTR: RotK Appendices on disks three and four to the special extended edition DDV, which I never got around to viewing when they first came out. I'm still impressed with all the hard work they put into making the three films as well as the close camaraderie among all involved.

I think tonight I may watch the movie again, as it has been quite awhile since the last time.
I watched the Extended Edition of LOTR: Return of the King, again last night and went through quite a bit of tissue in the sad parts. My God what a movie! And the earlier theater version won 11 Academy Awards as well as some Golden Globes. Wow!!!
It broke my heart too Grondy dear. truly, despite its' not being exactly true to the book, which is in my eyes pure gold and beyond reproach, the movie has its' own grandeur and momentum and it works, well for me it does. I just seem the two, the book and the movie as rather different things and love each for what it brings to the eye, ear and heart.

Last  night I was able, the first time in years, The Return of theh King. I had forgotten the despair I felt as I sat in the theatre that freezing cold winter night and watched. So much grief and disappointment and heartache and the odds were so very against Frodo making it to Mordor. And all those orcs, I felt heart sick. The elephants and the wicked of the east. So many enemies and they had all the power and the collective evil. Even the elves in contrast seemed weak and ineffetual. ....At first. But little by little one could almost see and feel the hand of Illuvatar occasionally bringing a little victory here and there and hope grow if only a scintilla. By the time Gandalf was speaking to Pippin about what comes after death, I was a shred. And then after the breaking to pieces of Mordor and Frodo waking up in a clean beautifully appointed bed. ..Well it was too much  for me. I felt paralyzed by it all and when tears came it was such a welcome relief. But I felt an ache in my heart hours after thinking about poor Frodo who never got well and was never really understood and for whom the Shire was no longer home. And wept for poor Sam. To me he was the ultimate hero.

i understand your feelings leelee it is a truly heart felt movie