Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Why the Rohirrim?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Why the Rohirrim?   
Taking the pole about what race was best represented in the movies is worthless. Everyone knows the answer, the Rohirrim. Why do you think this is? Why is it that not only did their race dominated the story of The Two Towers, but they were also had a giant role in The Return of the King, to the extent of overshadowing the Gondorians.
The Return of the King was suppost to be all about Gondor, yet they were to a large extent ignored, and their face time given to the furthur development of Rohan.

Why do you think Peter Jackson decided to make Rohan the center of Middle Earth, and by far the alternate center of the movies, (the other being Frodo)?

Or am I mistaken in my interpritation of the films??

...Let's Talk...
Best portrayed rather than represented. The Rohirrim were let down by the portrayal of Eowyn. She should have been stronger with more grit and less wide eyed woblyness.

I liked all the races, they were portrayed well and the detail for each was staggering. However, the Uruk-Hai were brought into staggering relief by PJ - far more attention and detail was given to them by PJ extrapolated from Tolkien's desriptions.
I agree that most races were represented in detail, mainly the Orcs and Elves. Yet I think that Gondor was underdeveloped...

It seemed to me that it was made for those who knew what it was. What I mean by this is that there were details everywhere that readers like us would have known what they were, but for the new and uneducated, Gondor was completely a mistery. There really was no explanation for anything.

That is just what I got from seeing it with my uneducated friends, and having them ask about a billion questions about Gondor. That was not so much the case with Rohan.

I wish Peter Jackson would have gone more into the book version of Gondor, that way the audiance could have grown to love the wonderful city that is portrayed in the book, instead of it just being an hollow, lifeless, crazy-man-ruling city.
Quote:
I wish Peter Jackson would have gone more into the book version of Gondor, that way the audiance could have grown to love the wonderful city that is portrayed in the book, instead of it just being an hollow, lifeless, crazy-man-ruling city.

Hi Anilorak, great thread!

Obviously Tolkien gives us a much clearer picture of Gondor in his novel, more background, and an infinite amount of superior detail, but you have the time, and space to do that in a book, where as you canít really spend the amount of time necessary to do that in a film. Yes, I agree, I wish we wouldíve gotten more of Tolkienís Gondor in PJís films, but I think he did a pretty good job all things considered. Also, I think the SEE of ROTK will offer us a better glimpse into the heart of the White City.

I think the main thing that PJ had to drive home in the film version of ROTK was just how weak Gondor had become over time, and just how ripe it was to fall. You have to remember that one of the most important underlining elements to the story of the War of the Ring (as the whole tale is told over the course of the Sil, UT, and LOTR) is that itís really about the coming of age of Men. The time of the Elves is over, and if M.E. is to be saved, itís on the shoulders of men to bear that burden.

This is really the main reason why Rohan figures into Tolkienís tale (and ultimately PJís adaptation) so heavily. Gondor has become too weak to face Sauron alone, and desperately needs help. There had always been a close alliance between Gondor, and Rohan in the past, but over time, due to various circumstances the two kingdoms had become estranged.

It was necessary for PJ to spend so much time on Rohan to give some background as to why this had happened, and to show what those people were like. For moviegoers who havenít read the books they needed to see that the people of Rohan were not so different from the people of Gondor, and that the fate of the two kingdoms were tied together.

Also, all of the other men (the Haradrim, the Easterlings, the Corsairs, etc.) in M.E., at that time were pretty much evil (due to Sauronís treachery), or were just sorts of primitive nomadic wildmen.

The only real people who had the power to help Gondor were the Rohirrim, and again, I think PJ spent so much time developing Rohan in the movies because the Rohirrim played such a crucial role in the fight against Sauron in Tolkienís LOTR. The moviegoers who hadnít read the books needed to understand these people, what they had at stake, and why they would come to Gondorís aide. During the time of the WOTR, there really wasnít that much of Gondor left. It was a kingdom in shambles, in ruin, in decay, and only a fraction of a shadow of itís former self.

Hope Iím being clear enough with what Iím trying to convey. Iím kinda pressed for time at the moment, maybe Iíll add some more to this over the next few days.
Elf Smilie
Thanks Elfstone for the hi. I have been really busy with 18 units of college, and don't have much time to log on, unfortunately.

Anyway, I agree with you Elfstone, very good points. Peter Jackson did a good job with the time he had.

Can't argue with that, Anyone have any more comments or ideas for this topic??
I agree with both Anirolak and Elfstone. I was a little upset with the way Gondor was potrayed, it kinda seemed they had too little time. Rohan already had too much time in TTT with the extension of the weak and lovesick Eowyn, not to mention the women, children and old people who were brought to Helm's Deep purely for emotional purposes. Although in ROTK they were like in the book, the Gondorians were not dwelled deep enough, which could have been helped if Prince Imrahil and Beregond were in the movie. The Gondorians that we knew were Denethor, whom we hated and Faramir, whom we felt sorry for. I understand that there are not enough time for all the important things to be put in, but I wouldn't have minded to see more of Gondor and its people.
I totally agree that Peter Jackson did do a little MUCH on Rohan. I mean did you see Eowyn! She was all hittin' on Aragorn. And Aragorn was like FLIRTING with her. In the book he's all "get away" I was soooooooo happy when Aragorn told off Eowyn. But hey it CAME OUT TODAY!! YAY!!!!!!! I know it sounds geeky but I'm excitied. I already watched it a million times already. lol Happy Elf Smilie
Hello Lothlorienprincess37 and welcome to our forum. My DVD arrived today and when I finish moderating today, I'll make a batch of buttered popcorn, open a diet pepsi, adjust my stereo system, pop the disk in the DVD player, and settle down for a long evening's enjoyment. Cool Elf Smilie
Hey, I just up my DVD yesterday but probably only going to have time on Memorial day(for those who don't live in a contry with memorial day, its next monday).

I think that Minas Tirith should have been a tade bit whiter.
Osgiliath in more detail.
If PJ wants that much Rohirrim at least leave Edoras for us to admire as a contribution to Tolkien.
Quote:
If PJ wants that much Rohirrim at least leave Edoras for us to admire as a contribution to Tolkien.
Sorry Randallin, it is gone for good. Were one to visit there today, he would find very little to show that it once was the capitol city of that proud race of horsemen. Even an archeologist would have trouble finding artifacts were she to dig beneath that tell.
the way i see it the movies were directed toward people who had not read the books.pj was aware that most people have not read the books and a movie would not explain itself and its background like a book.so he changed everything about LOTR,except the main plot points(such as the one ring,Faramir being rejected by his father,Sauron being a giant fiery eye)

an example being that instead of being imprisoned like in the book,pj had the story changed to Eomer being banished so he wouldnt have to have the audience guessing who Erkenbrand was,even if he had the characters talk about Erkenbrand on the way to Helm's Deep.Instead he had Eomer,a character that had already been well introduced and put into the audiences mind,ride to Theoden's rescue.And the rohirrim were supposed to have longer swords of probably around 38-42inches.instead the movie rohirrim swords were from 26-32inches,even though sword lengths arent that important in this case i felt i should bring that up.
How the heck did you figure out the sword lengths?
Good question Loni. I have a mental image of Ar-Edain running around Middle earth with a tape measure....

I assume that longer swords are needed for those who fight on horseback but as to the actual measurements....
Quote:
I assume that longer swords are needed for those who fight on horseback but as to the actual measurements....
Exactly, the Rhohirrims' movie swords were better suited for close combat infantry fighting, they did use their lances/spears when mounted, but in mounted close-combat, a lance/spear was unweildy, making a lengthy bladed longsword better suited to make up for the horesman's added elevation, enabling him/her to reach those on the ground or an opposing mounted rider.

i have VENGEANCE against  eomer's trucker soldiers,but Gondorians are so cool why not add them instead,