Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Well adapted scenes

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Well adapted scenes   [1] [2] >>
I was watching TTT the other day (as you do) and noticed, as I do each time I see it, the scene where Aragorn and Co meet the Riders of Rohan.

Quote:
"What news from the North, Riders of Rohan?" With astonishing speed and skill they checked their steeds, wheeled, and came charging round. Soon the three companions found themselves in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them, and drawing ever inwards.

I love that scene in the movie - Eomer leads them in such a smooth sweep with no hesitation exactly as I see it in the book. Sad muppet that I am I had to check the book to see if that scene in the movie was faithful to the book. It is!

Anyone else notice scenes that are reproduced faithfully?

Virumor need not respond. Wiggle Smilie

Yeah, bit with the Barrow wi.... no thats not one

uhm... that scene that had the merry ole wierdo Tom Bombad... nope wrong again,

wait a minute i got one Lurtz, when he leads the Uruks to Amo...(damn it wasnt in the Book)

This time., ok ok ok, for real this time - Balrog vs Gandalf, gotta admit that stand-off in the Book is awesome and is adaptation(film) is on the button! (phew)
Very Evil Smilie
Well, there would be the beacons' kindling (though not by Pippin, Mr. Jackson! and not in spite of Denethor!) and the arrival of the Rohirrim on Pelennor (that was SUPERBE, just like in the book!)... And of course, some others I'll remember later...
I thought I posted this in TTT - because we only have the dvds for the first two - but it seems I posted it in RotK!

Any chance a council member could move it to The Two Towers for me? Please? Pretty please with chocolate....?

Wiggle Smilie
My favourite scene (not in the TTT though) was "Legolas on the Elephant" That surely was inspiring. I mean think about it, you're in the greatest battle of the century and you can enjoy at the same time. Wink Smilie
*shakes head* not another Legolas fan? Sheesh, i bet you creamed your pantaloons.

I thought that scene was just plain stoopid! a better word would be "purile" inthat it was an attempt by PJ to further over-enhance Legolas' and more importantly, Orlando Bloom's profile in the film's just for the sake of a few hormone-crazy Kids. Nonsense!

Smoke Smilie
That was just a joke mate. I dislike Legolas (in the movie) and the movies. (I'll probably get a warning for saying that)
But what I wanted to discuss here was the scenes that were adapted almost to the letter from the book to the film. We have a lot of discussion on the 'faults' of the films. Thought it might be interesting to find some really faithful adaptations.

There's a couple of scenes in the Trilogy that almost depict Legolassie accurately and with dramatic Umph!

I particularly liked the "Moria - Cave Troll" scene, expertly filmed and exciting.
And Legolassie with the "Warg Attack" His skill with the bow & the way he pulls himself up the horse's bridle was impressive(had to watch it a couple of times to see how he was supposed to have done it).

But on the whole i stick with my original view of OrlandoLas.

Very Mad Smilie
Er... excuse me but did that happen in THE BOOK? I don't recall any such description in THE BOOK. But if you can find it....... bite me!

Come on there must be more scenes from THE BOOK that PJ adapted fathfully?
Well there WAS the attack in Durin's Tomb by the Orcs + Troll in Moria in the Book, the film i think did a good job, in that it was compelling viewing... as to whether it was a verbatum depiction of the book's telling of course it wasnt, but, well i dont think that's relevant - a different medium!

Same's true of the Warg-Rider attack, its obviously depicted differently b/c film allows greater (artistic) license - but its a matter of personal taste as to whether or not it pressed your buttons, i think? *scratches head*

Oh i dunno?

Wiggle Smilie
There are plenty of scenes I find brilliant that are nothing like the book but this thread is for scenes FROM THE BOOK which have been used in the film accurately.

Pah!

Men!

Especially those from Osgiliath.....

:smile:
You should know by now Vee, that i hardly ever read the beginning of a thread, until much later, and i am always Confused!

You try living in Oz, we're always getting a battering - guess its shell-shock or PTSD, "ACH here they come AGAIN... URUKS ON THE WIRE, MAN THE CATAPULTS"
OK PT folks i made a big stoopid mistake, there are currently 2 Lord Aelrics, and its ALL my FAULT, so if maybe folks have PM'd me and i havent responded, its NOT b/c i'm ignorant, just DAFT!

( to explain; went to a cafe to go to chatroom... forgot PT password, then logged in as same name, then forgot my own email address - Result = Totol waste of Time & Total Confusion, DOH!!! )

Baby Girl Smilie

I

AHA: sussed it - the one from Isengard is an EVIL imposter (how ironic)
There probably aren't any scenes in the films that are completely accurate to THE BOOK , if the story hasn't changed dramatically then there are just bits missed out and dialogue swapped between characters.

The visual side of it is the most accurate and what makes the films worth watching, I agree about the Riders of Rohan, that was exactly how I imagined it too. The very last shot in TTT of Mordor with the Nazgul flying and Orodruin bursting in flame is a wonderfully dismal and terrifying image that is exactly how Mordor should look.

You can't beat the battles either.
Quote:
Looks like he adapted them fatfully, indeed !

Awwwwww Virumor........ I can always rely on you......

what about boromir's little boat ride? it wasnt that major and detailed of a scene in the books, so it was difficult to *mess* up. at least from aragorn not telling anyone of the discussion, his being found by faramir, kinda, just a little?
When Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas sent Boromir's body off in the boat there was a little more description in the book about them taking the boat out and setting it on its way. Also, Boromir's sword should have been broken and the swords of his enemies were placed under his feet.

In the later boat scene when Faramir is telling Frodo of his dream it is fairly accurate apart from the broken sword not being broken. In the film it seemed as though Boromir was wearing the belt that Galadriel gave him although I don't think we saw it being given in the film. The scene in the film misses out the dialogue about the belt and also shows Faramir sitting with the cloven horn which he didn't have in the book.

Bits of it match though.
I knew you'd pick up on that but I couldn't be bothered to change it.

Faramir says "Then I saw, or it seemed that I saw, a boat.....

"Dreamlike it was, and yet no dream, for there was no waking."

The only fault is that perhaps I should have put dream into italics or something.
You Guys! *nudge*

He'll never be brow-beaten into accepting that there was anything remotely verging on the 'good' in the films, you should know better Vee... Wink Smilie
Oi! You stay out of this!
The elves arriving at Helms Deep was just as I had always imagined it. Wink Smilie
Yes. And how Sam got kicked out of Frodo's little company by Frodo in Rotk, or is this only TTT?
Val, as a council member I expected so much more from you. I am so disappointed. My hero has feet of clay. You, at least, I thought would help keep the thread on topic. is there no one I can rely on now......?

Can you move this thread to TTT for me, pretty please with a cherry on top..... Then I shall forgive your flipancy. Cat Smilie

Loni - I wanted this to be for FotR and TTT because we haven't yet had the chance to watch the edvd for RotK.

Quote:
Any chance a council member could move it to The Two Towers for me? Please? Pretty please with chocolate....?
Sorry Vee, we don't yet have the controls to move whole threads.

I thought the two marsh scenes rather conformed to the books. Of course I can't remember if the right person said, "What do they live on when they can't get hobbit?"
Well, I am determined to find more.

Grondmaster: OK, thanks - I thought the council was all powerful...... maybe one day....

Quote:
Of course I can't remember if the right person said: "What do they live on if they can't get hobbit?"

Grondie, haha. Big joke. REal big. Or not. You know quite well Sam said that in the Midgewater MArshes and that was missed out.
It's in the extended edition Loni. I think Sam said it in the movie, but I am not sure.So we may have found two scenes that match the books? Wohoo!! (It's quite sad really.. only two?)
The two best ones so far, as in complete scenes, are Gandalf and The Balrog and the Riders of Rohan.

There must be more.....
Quote:
I thought the council was all powerful...... maybe one day..

Once upon a time we were, but Taz has not had time to program those features into this new site yet. Kind of reminds me of when I first became a fishery officer. We had a thousand square miles of sea to patrol, but the legislation giving us our powers had just changed. In their wisdom, MAFF revoked our old powers, and then took six months writing the new Statuary Instrument granting us our new ones. For six months I had to board fishing boats and just bluff my way through everything because I didn't have the power to book anyone.

Oh, sorry, I should be keeping this on topic. I'm struggling because I've never read the books. Try the potato scene, prior to the Ithilien rangers ambushing the Haradrim army.
Quote:
I'm struggling because I've never read the books.

What? WHAT? Burn the heretic! Shocked Smilie

Quote:
Try the potato scene, prior to the Ithilien rangers ambushing the Haradrim army.

Aha... yes.. I remember the dialogue being correct, almost. I shall check it out. Watch this space......
The dialogue about the potatoes was correct, at least up until Sam enunciated Po-ta-toes. Until I watch it again I can't remember the scene exactly. Vir is more than likely to be right though on this one.
Ok, Vir is right. Nothing like the scene in the book - bits and pieces are but not enough to say it is a well adapted scene. Smeagol says "What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?" and Sam says "Po-ta-toes". And he does say "Oh you're hopeless". A few other bits but that's all.

Very Sad Smilie

Does the mighty Vee admit "defeat"?

*giggles*

Defeat in what? The search for the truth? The Quest for What is Right? I was unclear about this scene and I said so. Vir is sometimes right, you know, but not always.

You men, so macho..... so sweet........
I’m really surprised that no one has mentioned the breaking of Isengard scene in the TTT. Although I personally feel that the Ents got the short end of the stick, and were somewhat misrepresented in the TTT, in the end some proper justice was served with that scene. That is without a doubt one of the most incredible scenes in the entire trilogy IMHO, spot on with the book, and it looks almost 100% the way I had visualized in my head from JRRT”S writing.

There are lots more, and I’ll post em’ in the coming days! Elf Winking Smilie
Well.... not a lot of description in the book about how the ents attacked Orthanc but it was a good scene, if a little embroidered. Merry and Pippin did not ride on Treebeard though.

I thought the title of this thread was "well adapted", not "mindlessly copied". Do anyone know if there was the excact same number of clouds in the sky? That is very important!
And I asked

Quote:
Anyone else notice scenes that are reproduced faithfully?

So, well adapted or reproduced faithfully.... whatever. There are many scenes which are close. But that's just it... they are close but not close enough.

You can count clouds if you like.
My point, althoug missing in my post, is that when writing a book you don't describe EVERYTHING in detail. A good author leaves lots of room for our imagination. Tolkien does that, resulting in each of us making our own mental images of the scenes described. Thus it is impossible to film a scene from the book the way everyone of us imagined it would look like. Some may be lucky, some not.

Also the story flows differently in a book compared to a movie. In the book we can read page after page about only Frodo and Sam, while still beeing with the seven others. Tolkien didn't have to write about what the others was doing, as our focus was on the two hobbits. In a movie however, all nine shows on the screen. Then, unless you want to let the others come of as mindless walkers, you have to alter the story a bit. What I find important in a book-turned-movie is that the overall mood of the storyline and characters is kept. Sometimes the feeling you get from seeing the movie gets more like the feeling you get from reading the book if the editor is not completly copying the book.

That said, I also wish PJ could have read the books a few more times. Some of the changes seem rather pointless. However, I'm not sure a direct copy of the books onto the screen would be a better option.
Quote:
Sometimes the feeling you get from seeing the movie gets more like the feeling you get from reading the book if the editor is not completly copying the book.

That said, I also wish PJ could have read the books a few more times. Some of the changes seem rather pointless. However, I'm not sure a direct copy of the books onto the screen would be a better option.

I agree. And I don't see how PJ could have done a direct translation. But there are many, many threads here about how bad the films are compared with the books so I wanted to find something in the films that was as close as possible to the books. Yes, I am probably being too picky and whether or not Pippin and Merry were on the ground or riding on Treebeard is neither here nor there, yet it is different to the scene in the book.

I even think there are some scenes (and Vir will flay me alive for this) that may be better in the films than in the books but I want to find scenes that are as close as possible.

Almost any discussion though is better than none. So you keep it coming>

Wiggle Smilie

Quote:
But there are many, many threads here about how bad the films are compared with the books so I wanted to find something in the films that was as close as possible to the books.

I know. And because of that I was very unsure about posting in the first place.

Quote:
Yes, I am probably being too picky and whether or not Pippin and Merry were on the ground or riding on Treebeard
And that was why I did it. Tongue Smilie Angel Smilie

I thought that scene fitted well with the book. Not all the details, but overall yes. When I saw you( to exaggerate) complaining that the posistion of the characters relative to one other was wrong, I thought: "Wow!". Super Wow Smilie If you need that much "realism" you could just as well count the clouds. Wink Smilie

Anyway, nice thread. I have not seen the third movie yet, but already know a lot about it! Very Big Grin Smilie

(Oh, and Vir, leave her fingers in working order, will you? Please? The board is dead enough as it is.)
Quote:
Seriously, I still think there are no well adapted scenes in the LOTR movies, as i haven't found one yet.

Not even The Riders of Rohan meet Aragorn? A near perfect scene. You are a hard man to please, Virumor.
Look people, the name of this thread is “well adapted scenes”, not “scenes that are 100% identical to exactly what is in the book”. One of the key definitions of the word adaptation is, “a form or structure modified to fit a changed environment”, and that’s exactly what we’re supposed to be talking about here with the topic of this thread.

The form, and structure (JRRT’s LOTR) has been modified to fit a changed environment, film, which is an entirely different medium than the written word. If anyone doesn’t think that the breaking of Isengard scene in TTT isn’t a well-adapted scene, well you’re entitled to your own opinion, but I respectfully completely disagree. Again, that is easily one of the most well adapted scenes in the entire trilogy. Just like the Riders of Rohan scene is also well adapted, and so are all of the mines of Moria scenes, and all of the scenes with Gandalf, and the Balrog.

To be completely honest, if one is strictly operating under the exact definition of the word adaptation, well then most of the entire trilogy is actually pretty well adapted.

Quote:
My point, althoug missing in my post, is that when writing a book you don't describe EVERYTHING in detail. A good author leaves lots of room for our imagination. Tolkien does that, resulting in each of us making our own mental images of the scenes described. Thus it is impossible to film a scene from the book the way everyone of us imagined it would look like. Some may be lucky, some not.

Also the story flows differently in a book compared to a movie. In the book we can read page after page about only Frodo and Sam, while still beeing with the seven others.

Really like what you said here Grev, good points, too bad some people can’t seem to grasp this concept. Anyway, back to the topic, how about the Caradhras scene in the FOTR? Seems pretty well adapted to me.
Elf Smilie
And the spying crebain scene felt like the book too, though I'm not so sure about the fencing lessons and lounging around prior to their showing up, but the actual birds had the right flavor.
I agree!!! Grondy's right.
It's not that you stand alone Virumor. In fact i share the same thoughts with you about the movie. It's just, this has been going on for 3 years now. Everyone knows that the movie wasn't even close to book. But if you keep saying that in every chance, even after 3 years, people get tired of hearing that.
How magnanimous of you Master Viromir!

I always thought that discussion ought to be encouraged and not censored b/c of differences of opinion, tis the very essence of the thing is it not?

Wink Smilie
Quote:
I love the scene when Gandalf hits Denethor with his staff in RotK. l know it's not in the book but l thought it was so funny, when l first saw it at the movies l couldn't stop laughing

That scene was the product of P.J.'s struggle to prove that he had a sense of humor. :P
Now seriously, that was a funny scene but what about the one Denethor ate? That was really disgusting Very Mad Smilie
PJ and the movie, crucified the role of Denethor from the book.

As i recall, Denethor was not a witless, raving madmen until at least the climax and near fall of Minas Tirith, only then was his unhinged demeanor apparent to EVERYONE. Sauron's hold on his will was complete and fostered his sense of paranoia, reinforced the pride of the Stewards of Gondor and corrupted his paternal feelings for his sons. I felt sad for the actor that had to play such a hammed up version of what Denethor actually represented, "the slow death of an era".

[1] [2] >>