Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Well adapted scenes

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Well adapted scenes   << [1] [2]
Scenes well-adapted from the book(s), near to the letter, hm....
Kind of hard to get scenes "adapted" to the letter, since adapting implies translating the spirit and meaning to a different medium. Here's a snippet I thought was fairly accurate, though:

FoTR: Gandalf's dragon firework at bilbo's party -- no NOT when pip and merry steal it, but after it goes off, the description of it and of the partygoers reaction to it. I lost my hardback copy of Fellowship (sniff) and have lent my paperback copy to a friend, so I can't check right now to see if Bilbo says "nonsense, there hasn't been a dragon in these parts... etc." but I believe that dialogue is fairly accurate. No doubt I'll be swiftly corrected if it isn't.

There are, bits and pieces of really accurate lines and excellent acting (especially from ian mckellan), as well as gorgeous descriptions brought to life, all scattered throughout the movies -- but always, always adapted, shifted, condensed, never exactly in it's original setting. E.G., in TTT When frodo sees gollum dive into the pool at henneth annun (sp?) -- there is that one shot of accuracy, matching one sentence in the book -- beautiful dive in the moonlight. near all else is off from the letter of the book, though not so much off the spirit of the scene. Or those few seconds when Sam tugs the rope at the start of TTT's extended version, and it comes undone. Or When Galadriel says "I pass the test" after frodo offers her the ring... these are just a few of the many (short) bits that are very well done, accurate to short sentences (or half sentences) in the book, even if the whole scene isn't letter perfect.
Vir said:
Quote:
I didn't hear Eomer coin the word 'Wingfoot'. And he didn't reveal himself as Isildur's heir and didn't hereby shock Eomer and caused him into saying 'legends coming alive' or something like that. And Eomer wasn't banished in the movies :

I said in my first post:
Quote:
"What news from the North, Riders of Rohan?" With astonishing speed and skill they checked their steeds, wheeled, and came charging round. Soon the three companions found themselves in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them, and drawing ever inwards.

That is the scene I was discussing. Just that. What happened after that isn't included.

This thread seems to have descended to the 'any chance to have a go at the films' and 'badly adapted scenes' rather than what I intended. Seems almost no point in further discussion. Perhaps Vir should ask Taz to delete all the forums related to the films.

Quote:
That is a good idea.

I don't think so. If you remove all the threads regarding the movie, the actors of, the setting of, the development of, the music of and so forth, there would be very little left. Even the droolthreads would have to go.

Quote:
rather than what I intended.
What you intended is, pardon me, not really all that relevant. The point of a message board is for a lot of different people to toss in their two cent, and thus make something together. The original poster desides the topic of the discussion, but not the end result. Then we would end up with "publicus bias"!

Quote:
Seems almost no point in further discussion.
If everyone was agreeing there would be no discussion. Please note the "dis" in discussion.

Quote:
This thread seems to have descended to the 'any chance to have a go at the films' and 'badly adapted scenes'
I agree. And that is sad. So lets get on with the real topic and stop feeding the trolls!

Since I read the books in german, a language I suck in, and only have seen the movie 0.67 times, I'm really not that qualified to add any scenes myself. Please note the total absence of me in the first 4 pages. I did read them though, with great interest. So did probably many others. If you guys don't want to continue the discussion noone is forcing you. But there is no need to delete anything.

So! Let's all be friends and squirm our brains for something constructive and positive for everyone to read. Big Smile Smilie Read Smilie
Quote:
I think that line from BIlbo is in it too.

It's not.

Quote:
Denethor's ending as the human ropeless bungee-jumping torh was indeed apalling. I don't think we'll find any "well adapted scene" in ROTK or TTT at all as those two are the most ****** up.

Couldn't agree more. But must you swear? There are little twel-year-old dwarves on this site called loni, you know.

Quote:
When I saw Gandalf kicking arse with his staff, for one moment I had to think of Rayden. Or moses gone berserk. "let my hobbits go!"

You spelt Moses wrong. And who's Rayden? But I couldn't agree more. They made Gandalf use his staff more as a weapon than what Gandalf used it for. You know, lighting fires, emitting light. But no. In the film it's like: "I don't like you, Denethor! I shall bash you! Haha! I'm the playground bully!"
So sorry for that post, GrevBukMcJen. Couldn't help it. I REALLY don't like the movies. Alright, from NOW on we start writing constructive writing.
Quote:
If everyone was agreeing there would be no discussion. Please note the "dis" in discussion.
The point of having threads and topics is to let people choose what to discuss. This is a big site and we have thousands of members. We need to be organized. In here we are suppose to find scenes that we think are true to the books, see what other people think about it and discuss the matter. If you want to discuss the changes and alterations that everyone who ha read the books knows are not even close to the books, go to the movie threads.

Not everybody have ADSL or broadband people. If it is not worth spending a few minutes to find the right place to post what you have to say, then it isn't worth saying at all.

if you post in the right threads you reach the right people. And you don't annoy people by interfering with other peoples discussions with off-topic posts. There will always be a few diversions, but try to stay on topic.

Don't stop writing Vee. This is a good thread, keep it alive. Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. But must you swear? There are little twel-year-old dwarves on this site called loni, you know.
Couldn't agree more Loni. Virumor knows this is a family friendly site. And he knows what will happen if he keeps using language like that. There shouldn't be any trouble to express oneself without swearing.
Quote:
The point of having threads and topics is to let people choose what to discuss. This is a big site and we have thousands of members. We need to be organized. In here we are suppose to find scenes that we think are true to the books, see what other people think about it and discuss the matter. If you want to discuss the changes and alterations that everyone who ha read the books knows are not even close to the books, go to the movie threads.

Okay, i agree with that %100. But i have a question about it. If people are allowed to discuss "Well Adapted Scenes" we can have a "Messed up Scenes" thread of our own too, right? In which no post will be edited or deleted (of course as long as it's within the rules of the site) I think if that's granted Virumor would leave those "I loved the movie" threads alone.

*looks at Virumor*
You would wouldn't you?
We have several of threads to discuss the changes Asteroth, her are a few.

Major changes and view on them
Major character changes
Major changes in plot

But nothing stops you from making a "Messed up Scenes" thread as well. Smile Smilie
Those 3 threads have 2 things in common Amarie;
1-) All three were started by the same person,

2-) There is no opposition!

The charm of a "discussion" is that it's made by two people. One says yes, the other says no. One says left the other says right! In all those threads,there is no opposition, so none of them reached the second page. I think the reason Virumor's posting on these "Movie supporter threads" is that he knows there are people to discuss this about. No "Movie supporter" goes to an anti-P.J. thread and defends the movies. So there's only one thing to do about it, you go to their thread and attack the movies. I think that's the main reason for Virumor's actions. But again, noone knows the reason better than Virumor. I think he's the one that should be talking instead of me.

*looks at Virumor again*
What do you think mate?
I think Planet Tolkien offers a wonderful opportunity for education as well as discussion, in fact education comes through discussion. There are people here more interested in the films than the books and I can understand that can be annoying to some but here is an opportunity to draw those people into this community, to spark their interest in all things Tolkien. I wonder how many people have read the books since seeing the films and have enjoyed them? But not everyone is going to like everything and I don't have a problem with that. Disruption of discussions only serves to scare those people away. I, for one, post here for enjoyment. If I don't enjoy, I don't post.

Next time I start a thread I will be more explicit with guidelines.

This post is officially off-topic
Quote:
Don't stop writing Vee. This is a good thread, keep it alive.

I agree! This is a great thread, let's keep it alive! So I ask again, how about the Caradhras scene in FOTR? Elf Smilie
Quote:
So I ask again, how about the Caradhras scene in FOTR?
I can't remember, did Gandalf pass around his flask of miruvor in the film? Oh and my mind's eye saw them going up with the mountain on their right and the precipace on their left, but I may have over-looked Tolkien's writen description.
He didn't pass round the flask, and there were no wolves, and they didn't even light a fire, because they didn't bring faggots on Boromir's advice, because Boromir didn't advise them to do so.
I'm not sure about the Caradhras scene.... need to watch it again and read the book at the same time - sad muppet. I seem to remember the book being a lot more detailed and longer. I'm not sure.....
  << [1] [2]