Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: beregond and morwen?!?!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > beregond and morwen?!?!   
I was looking about aimlessly and as i meandered i looked upon the cast list. Now it says that Beregond and Morwen were in the movies, i was just wandering when because do not remember such events.
These are not the Silmarillion Beregrond and Morwen obviously. I think Morwen was the mother of the two children who escape from the Rohirrim village that is being attacked by the Dunlendings at the start of the Two Towers. She again meets up with them at Helm's Deep.

As for Beregrond, he was supposed to have been played by Nick Nolte. Nick Nolte was not in any of the LotR films, however, so his character was either scrapped or played by another actor. Beregrond's role in RotK was a guard of the Citadel, who eventually leaves his post to prevent Faramir being burned alive by Denethor. In the film it appears that Pippin has enlisted Gandalf's aid for this task. Unless Beregrond plays a more active role in the extended version, therefore, he has perhaps been omitted from the story.

In the books, Beregrond becomes the First Captain of Faramir. Maybe PJ just brought this role forward and had him fighting in Osgiliath. Did he ever name the soldier who he his showing the map to? I kept thinking he was playing the role of Beregrond.
ok Morwen is played by Robyn Malcolm. Morwen is the mother of Freda and Éothain. She is the one that send her kids away on the horse in TTT. Beregond is played by Ian Hughes. Beregond is a soldier of Minas Tirith and a friend to Pippin.

http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/14487.html "Beregond- The savior of Faramir, the representation of fundamental liberalism in the novels, was overlooked in the movie version of The Return of the King. For you uninformed ones, Beregond went against his Steward’s orders, an act deemed disgraceful by Gondor, to save Faramir, who he realized was still alive. Although he went against the law of the land, he understood that what he was doing was right out of his love and respect of Faramir. He was commended by Aragorn at the end of the story for his courageous decisiveness. His absence, although missed, is fully understandable. This part of the tale was much more detailed on in the books, which gave the character the opportunity to develop. This made Beregond almost impossible to represent in the film. Also, the spirit of his act of selflessness was captured through the already-developed character of Pippin."