Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Drinking Game (on EE)

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Drinking Game (on EE)   
This was an interesting scene. I was wondering if anyone knew where Gimli's little rhyme about dwarf women came from.
Wiggle Smilie
If you watch the directors comentary PJ makes a coment about that. The line comes from "Moby Dick" and something about going swiming with bowleged women.
I thought the drinking game scene totally gratuitous and not in keeping with my own perceptions of dwarves and elves. And, despite that, I didn't even find it funny!

Firstly, yet another game of one-up-manship where Gimli is reduced to a pathetic comic-relief. Secondly, why would Legolas not get drunk? We know he was a super-elf (according to PJ's depiction) but elves still get drunk. Remember The Hobbit and the King's servants falling asleep after drinking the wine of Dorwinion?
I haven't seen EE yet, but PJ might have been thinking that a tiny man would get drunk faster than a tall man. That Legolas is skinny and looks like he would get drunk from smelling the cork doesn't matter it seems.
It is based on a line from another movie, yes, but not Moby Dick! The line comes from Jaws, I do believe. *hugs Zephrah* Along the right track anyway
Either way I knew it was a movie about a BIG fish!
Very true, good detective work on that one! Jumping Flame Smilie Very Mad Smilie Pixie Smilie
Well I think it could be quite possible that the quote from Jaws, is a quote from Moby Dick.
Captain Quint's song in Jaws is an old one. One of my dad's friends used to sing it while we were swimming out at the lake, although he changed the words to "I love to go swimmin' with bowlegged women and glide between their knees" out of respect for the kiddies present. This was the 1950s, way before Jaws, and i was about sic. The joke went entirely over my head.

My guess is that this is a "rugby song" wihich the Brits are fond of, since they are an occasion to get pi$$ drunk and sing filthy lyrics in the pub.

As regards the drinking contest, it seemed most un-elflike, but it was funny. From my experience, a wine drinker can put a beer drinker under the table any day, and The Hobbit indicates that the oodelves are used to drinking some very potent wine with little effect.
But also remember in the Hobbit the wines the Elves from Mirkwood were drinking were a lot harder than the ale they were drinking in the EE. But he was acting a little weird at the end of the scene was he not? saying something about his fingers feeling different? Some people just take alcohol a lot differently than others. Alcoholic Smilie Cheers!
Quote:

But also remember in the Hobbit the wines the Elves from Mirkwood were drinking were a lot harder than the ale they were drinking in the EE. But he was acting a little weird at the end of the scene was he not? saying something about his fingers feeling different? Some people just take alcohol a lot differently than others.

That's what I kind of meant. I'm used to wine, so I can drink beer all day without getting more than a tingle. And I have done a fair share of drinking with dwarves too.

You re right that Legolas was acting a little weird. I 've always speculated that he was outside that next morning walking off the hangover. Wink Smilie
lol..that would be entertaining...I took a course on alcohol, and we learned that people get more drunk off of wine and spirits than beer.
People don't normally get very drunk from drinking beer when they've been drinking wine and such most of they're drinking "careers" Smile Smilie
And Gimli getting drunk faster than Legolas could also have something to do with his motabolism. He's smaller and the alcohol doesn't need long to course through the blood stream.
*is very confused* Sorry for sounding so thick, but what is EE??
I think it means extended-edition
Quote:
*is very confused* Sorry for sounding so thick, but what is EE??
It is the Extended Edition DVD that contains about 40 minutes more movie than that which appeared in the theatres. In it the characters were a little more fleshed out and a few missing scenes were added to build a little more continuity into the Tolkien's story, as told by Peter Jackson. Among other things found on it, is a running commentary overlay by Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens about why they did what they did as the movie plays in the background. Teacher Smilie
wouldnt Legolas be able to drink more since elves have a resistance to illness and poison, and Alcohol is, after all, a poison?