Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Repeat viewings

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Repeat viewings   
I was curious to know what are your responses/feelings/reactions to the movie after several viewings. Do you still feel sorry for Faramir? Do you still feel satisfied when Sauron went *poof*? Do you still feel sad that Frodo's leaving? Or any of the feelings that you get when you first watch the movie. Perhaps, you feel a different kind of emotions during the repeat viewing? Or you just don't feel anything anymore?

(This relates to the other two movies as well, I put it here since ROTK was the concluding part of the story and also the longest)
each time i watch the trilogy, i get so much into it, that i sometimes forget what happens and i suddenly remember, i do get sad at the end when Frodo leaves, i get most sad for Sam, he would miss Frodo more than anyone. When Sauron goes poof, i scream in my head WOOOOOOOO!!! Big Smile Smilie, i do feel sad that Gandalf leaves, middle-earth no longer has a mighty wizard to aid them. I should really watch them again....
I really enjoy the movies (especially the extended editions) every time I watch them (same with re-reading the book). The emotional effect is not quite so strong as it was the first time, but then I appreciate more and more of the background elements that I didn't notice before.
I do still feel sorry for Faramir and feel sad when Gandalf falls into the abyss with the balrog, but it no longer brings tears to my eyes (which happens very rarely with movies anyway).
I agree with all of you. I still have the same feelings on viewing each movie. Despite their drawbacks/inaccuracies to Tolkien, where the movies ARE accurate they have an impact. PJ has succeeded so well on multiple levels, I just keep wondering why he didn't succeed on all levels. But yes, several places in the movies make me sad, happy, angry, just as they first did.
Humanities hindering qualities, is what I believe held our Hobbit-esque Peter back from perfection Wink Smilie
I was also extremely pleased with the films. I grew up watching the cartoon, so that might not be a wonder... I rank PJ's adaption of Rings with the original Starwars; both are 'so' good that you can watch them multiple times with out trouble. Other than the altered storyline in some parts, visually I found it as convincing as the books. When a film can take you away from reality and convince you that what you're viewing on the screen is live reality, then you've got a winner... I'm not sure if that made much sense, but I think the feeling I was attempting to convey is present.
I'm watching The Two Towers( extended ) with my daugther Lisa rigth now and I love the films so much !!! And YES every time I see it I feel so sad for Faramir and I feel so much pitty for Gollum and I'm so grateful and happy when Gandalf returns ! I never stop reading the books either .It gives me so much pleasure and harmony ..and every time I do this I feel like I'm meeting my long lost friends again !! I read the books/see the films with sadness and sorrow for some of the caracthers and joy for others ..I think PJ did a great job with the films and Tolkien did such a marvellous job writing them Smile Smilie I'm forever grateful to them both
I don't give a hoot about PJ's adaptation of LOTR anymore (have only watched TTT 3 times, and ROTK once), hence I don't feel anything about it anymore.

But maybe I should watch it again sometimes, for I seem to remember that ╔owyn was quite the hottie.
That I prefer Movie Eowyn to Movie Galadriel is just one reason for me not to rewatch them. I did my duty and watched them all once, but repeate viewings will only provoke me, I fear. Sorry.
I know what you mean about being unhappy with the changes, but I actually found that once I've known what the changes are, it makes the repeat viewings much easier. I remember being really disappointed with the Eowyn-WitchKing confrontation that I just didn't want to watch it again. But later on I wanted to watch the Faramir bit, and the moment when Sauron was defeated so I made myself watch it. After that, once I was prepared with the changes, it was easier to watch the rest of the trilogy.

Quote:
Despite their drawbacks/inaccuracies to Tolkien, where the movies ARE accurate they have an impact.

I agree. The locations, especially, really made me feel like I'm there in M-E. If I want to escape from my boring assignments, just watching some scenes from Hobbiton is enough to make me smile.
I, too, have not watched the movies for a long time now. I do remember a time when I used to just stay at home and watch it all day, though. The first time, is of course, the one time that gives the most of the impact and actuates the strongest of feelings. But the repeated viewings aren't bad for me, either. One scene that I love to see over and over again is Aragorn's coronation. Especially the part where Aragorn sings the song. The regalness and kingliness of Aragorn strikes me as a classical coronation scene. I also love the feeling of light in this part. I'll always remember the light of that day in Minas Tirith. It was just so different from the dreary old coronations you see in King Arthur films and all that.

I loved Sauron going *poof* but I hated the way Saruman went *poof*. The falling on the wheelspoke thing is one scene I really hate to watch. Call me fainthearted if you will.

I still feel sad when Frodo goes away. Though I was sort of disappointed with the way Sam says "well, I'm back." The voice is perfect, he sounds weary and contented at the same time. But I've always thought that the eyes would be distant, since he was probably thinking of Frodo and what he said about Sam going to the West as well.

Strange that you guys like Eowyn so much. I don't find her that perfect at all. But she did a good job of acting, and I'll give her that. Cate Blanchett was amazing as Galadriel, and few others have that same mystic and queenly look about them.

Still, I understand Vir's obssession with Eowyn, at least...
Quote:
Strange that you guys like Eowyn so much. I don't find her that perfect at all. But she did a good job of acting, and I'll give her that.

Actually, I didn't like movie Eowyn. She annoys me most of the time, whereas the Book Eowyn made me feel a lot of other things rather than annoyance to her character. That was why I was waiting for the Witch-King scene, as a way for her to redeem herself in the movies, but it came out all wonky. Nothing like the book scene, but I think that was due to the execution, rather than the acting.

And I agree with what you said about Sam saying, 'Well, I'm back'. In the book, I thought he sounded maybe a little distant, a little sad about Frodo leaving. In the movie, it was as if he had already accepted his life was in Hobbiton, and was happy about it. But I still like it Smile Smilie
Morambar:" Would you rather that there were no movies made from the books ?" I too always get dissapointed whenever the films aren't what the books are like but I think it's nice to see what the caracthers were like and some of the stories..But on the other hand I saw the first film before I read Two Towers and Return of the King maybe that's why I enjoy them so much..
Quote:
Nothing like the book scene, but I think that was due to the execution, rather than the acting.

That part was rather gritty, wasn't it? But the other war scenes were terrific!

And for some reason, I find movie Eowyn weak, as if she were made of water rather than steel. But then maybe PJ had one of his spurts of inspiration and decided to add more human elements into the films.
Quote:
That part was rather gritty, wasn't it? But the other war scenes were terrific!

I just couldn't accept the fact that the mighty Witch-King knelt there doing nothing while Eowyn got up, took off her helmet, said her line and THEN stabbed him. Unacceptable! So Angry Smilie I like the Mumakil though *squashsquashsquash*

Quote:
And for some reason, I find movie Eowyn weak, as if she were made of water rather than steel. But then maybe PJ had one of his spurts of inspiration and decided to add more human elements into the films.

She had her strong moments, but most of the time she appeared weepy and lovesick. I think PJ could have made her strong and still looked human, so that there is a certain desperation to her character. But I guess the whole love triangle threw everyone off.
Quote:
I just couldn't accept the fact that the mighty Witch-King knelt there doing nothing while Eowyn got up, took off her helmet, said her line and THEN stabbed him. Unacceptable!

Yeah, I totally agree - almost as bad as when the bad guys in movies just don't die.
Quote:
almost as bad as when the bad guys in movies just don't die.

Yeh right, like that ever happens.
Quote:
Quote:
almost as bad as when the bad guys in movies just don't die.

Yeh right, like that ever happens.

And the question remains.....

.....wait for it .....

.....Who are Freddie, Jason, and Chucky? Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Quote:
.....Who are Freddie, Jason, and Chucky?

The lesser known kids of The Brady Bunch, who were locked up in their parents' wardrobe?

Anyway, eventually those baddies did die.
I doubt it, in a couple of years they will be back for the umpteenth time to haunt our screens, if not our dreams. They probably have some draw to fill the pockets of the greedy film makers. Orc Grinning Smilie
The very beginning of the first movie made me sadder when I watched it subsequent times, especially after the other two movies came out. The first time, I was excited/anxious about the movie, and although I knew most of what would happen (everything that happened in the books, anyway), I wasn't really thinking about it. But later, with the events to come fresher in my memory and with some part of my brain really identifying these people with the characters, seeing Frodo so happy, without a care in the world, is sad or at least poignant, because by the end he is so scarred that he has to go to the elven lands for peace.

Otherwise... yeah, I still get all weepy about most of the same parts. 'course, that's because I get weepy pretty easily... Big Smile Smilie
I actually got the chance to watch RotK during it's premiere here, and I don't think I want to go to one of those premieres again (except maybe to see the celebs). Mainly because the people who went are those who aren't even fans of the movie/book/genre. They had no reaction whatsoever! They should have given the tickets to actual LotR fans instead of rich VIPs who almost fell asleep watching it.

Then I went to watch the movie with my friends when it came out for the public, and the people had so many reactions, it was great. I knew what would happen in the movie, but seeing and hearing the reaction from others was quite exciting Tongue Smilie
Just finished another LOTR movie marathon. Didn't manage to get our hands on a copy of the EE ROTK, so we had to be content with not seeing Saruman speared on his own wheelspike and not seeing corsair Peter Jackson get shot by Legolas, and not seeing the little drinking competition between Elf and Dwarf... and NOT seeing Faramir and Eowyn meet in the Houses of Healing, and NOT seeing Aragorn slash of the hideous Mouth of Sauron's head....

But it still lasted from before sundown to after sunrise.
And it was still epic.
I got my EE movies as a 3 pack, with a pretty case for each individual movie to go in... Then they all go in a bigger one. Big Smile Smilie

I think Amazon still has them from various sellers. ALSO! The blu-ray versions are out/coming out soon, are they not?