Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Use Well the Days

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Return of the King > Use Well the Days   
There is a song in the ROTK piano book that is called 'Use Well the Days'. In what part of the movie did it appear? I can't remember.
If it's any help, in the book Galadriel says these words to King Elessar upon their goodbye in the chapter Many Partings :
Quote:
Then Aragorn took leave of Celeborn and Galadriel; and the Lady said to him: 'Elfstone, through darkness you have come to your hope, and have now all your desire. Use well the days!'
But Celeborn said: 'Kinsman, farewell! May your doom be other than mine, and your treasure remain with you to the end!'
Renee Fleming sang the song and as I remember it is the theme of the accompanying DVD to the Leatherbound Edition RotK Movie Soundtrack CD, where Howard Shore talks about the dificulty in composing the music for the film which of course won the Academy Award for best music.
Thanks!
I cannot imagine anyone's voice being more perfect or magical than Renee's was. Absolutely heartbreakingly gorgeous.
Quote:
I cannot imagine anyone's voice being more perfect or magical than Renee's was.

Maria Callas.
I thought that Ben Del Maestro's voice was also quite stunning. He was the solo voice in the March of the Ents part and I have always felt that to be a very powerful scene because of the music. Oh and also, all the choirs in the movies were amazing. I especially liked the ones who sang the Lothlorien theme. It was beautiful in a soft way. The other one I really like is the men's choir who did the Bridge of Khazad-dum. It was very powerful and dwarf-like.

Oh and as for Use Well the Days. It was something Howard Shore composed for Annie Lennox to sing as the ending song of ROTK. But Peter Jackson didn't feel like it was right for the ending song (and I totally agreee. Nothing fits the ending better than Into the West) so Howard Shore and Fran Walsh wrote another song, which is the famous Into the West, which was inspired by Cameron Duncan, a young filmmaker who sadly died before the movie even came out.
Point well taken Vir, but I was speaking of those who would have been available to do the singing. And I just thought she was absolutely perfect.
Once more I must agree with every thing our faerie princess Cloveress said. All in all it was one stunning piece after another. So powerful and tender and wondrous and every good thing all rolled into one gigantic success musically.
Quote:
But Peter Jackson didn't feel like it was right for the ending song (and I totally agreee. Nothing fits the ending better than Into the West)

The Pet Shop Boys' Go West does.
you're joking Vir right? You ARE joking?
I mean I love the Pet shop boys as well as the next person but.......you are joking right Vir?