Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Bob's your uncle???

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Bob's your uncle???   << [1] [2] [3] >>
Quote:
But why is it called a "pudding" when it's not???

Something doesn't have to be a dessert to be a pudding, look at steak and kidney pudding.
Yeah, suppose thats right. There is no strict law that something savoury cannot be a pudding.

Grondmaster! You are probably right, LOL. I had a little chuckle reading that. We do have loads of other languages in our own. Greek, Latin, French and probably more. I suppose most languages are the same but as English is the first language and the most commonly used in a wider range of areas, it has probably had more of this than the others especially in the last few centuries.
Ok so that's settled then the origonal question can be put down to one thing.
Us English speaking people talk complete nonsense all the time!
Quote:
I resemble that. Elk Grinning Smilie
I can pronounce Laura just fine... but I dunt pronounce it like Lara! Tongue Smilie

and no I have not had yorkshire pudding....

Quote:

Well, at least we understand each others nonsense, LOL.
It's just that the nonsense is different according to where abouts you are.
Like americans are so easy to understand.. if you count it as english Big Smile Smilie

especially them boston types... oi!
Yeah, it is still English.

We understand you but Americans wouldn't understand a lot of Brits. Accents in the UK are a lot more varied than they are in the states. Weird eh?
Quote:
We understand you but Americans wouldn't understand a lot of Brits. Accents in the UK are a lot more varied than they are in the states. Weird eh?
Not really, you have had a lot more centuries in which your different pockets of pronunciation could become more corrupt, or at least differentiated. And most of your people stayed put, while ours in moving west became more of an amalgam. The farther west you go the closer the pronunciation, while the old localizations have developed in places like Maine, Boston, the Bronx, Nu Joisy, the South, and Texas. However, we can understand each other once we retune our ears and if the local vernacular doesn't impede our endeavor.

What did I just say? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Grondy stop showing of with your big words, we all know your well educated, you don't have to show the rest of us up! Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
Washed down with a few pints of Theakstones Old Peculiar.... yummy.

Hmmmmmmmmmm!
I is quite sure that were NOT english that grondy just spoked at us's....
Grondmaster, all Americans sound the same to me apart from the far south where it is more strong. In the UK there is much more variation. From the queens English to Liverpudlian, Yorkshire, southern, cockney, newcastle, welsh, scottish and irish. They all sound so different. Much more different than what Americans sound. They say things totally different too. Southerner often can't understand what people of other accents are saying. Same goes for those with the queens English. Thats because we say things so different to them.

All uk people can understand americans, even those in the far south. We hear them on TV all the time. They all sound the same.
So what you are saying is beauty is in the ear of the listener? My ear can definitly tell the difference between Maine, Boston, Brooklyn, and Virginian accents and can just barely if at that, understand your regional accents that differ from your BBC standard pronunciation. And I agree your regional diferences are much more pronounced as I tried to say in one of the earlier posts.
Quote:
Anyway, I also want to add (on the subject of pronunciation) that canadians do NOT say "aboot" Maybe in the maritimes they do or it sounds close to it, but in actuality, we really do say "about"!

Nope, I am a maritimer and everyone that I know pronounces "about" as in "out".

Quote:
But, yes, we say "eh" and we're proud of it!!!!

Yep, ditto. Nasty habit, eh? Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
I is quite sure that were NOT english that grondy just spoked at us's....

Cletus, Go get the firin' stick, that racoon is'a mighty fine looking weedin' feast! Wink Smilie

Quote:
WHAT?!?!?! Steak and Kidney pudding??? EWWW! Sounds nasty and I like kidneys! Iis there really such a thing as steak and kidney pudding? I've never heard of it, but I would be willing to try some.

I wont eat kidney unless it's in a steak and kidney pudding when all of a sudden you can't taste it (I also think it's slightly strange to eat some thing that stink of pee, due to all the urea that has been created in it).
Well Bob is my uncle, just thought you'd like to know.
I never had an Uncle Bob or Robert, just a John, Mike, Pete, George, Walt, and Roy.
ummm, me neither:
Uncle Hamish, Uncle George, Uncle Art
Uncle Sprog (Martin), Kieth and Jim (Git)!
and while I may have considered trying Steak and Kidney pie before.. I most certainly will not now that I have heard Ross' lovely description! Mad Smilie
I like steak and kidney pies, but I also like the combination of having a large Yorkshire Pudding filled with steak and kidney plus a meaty gravy and veg.... In fact that's what I had when I last went out for a meal.

Washed down with a few pints of Theakstones Old Peculiar.... yummy.
Ill take that as a good thing then..

hmm Val now has the same posts as the Starship Enterprise.. 1701 Big Laugh Smilie

sorry, useless trivia there
she's a trekky ....
No she's a he. Elk Grinning Smilie
Check those glasses mithril!

though.. with that hair, its a resonable mistake. Tongue Smilie I think he's cut it now though...
thats odd..my last post didn't take..ok, apologies again to Val . I thought you must be a Valerie. I guess you are a Valentine Smile Smilie

Keeping fingers crossed this one posts
Oh, come now! Somebody up there in Canada is saying "aboot" and "oot". You can't tell me that one was just made up! The ubiquitous Canadian "eh" has crossed borders... you'll hear that one in places like North Dakota and Minnesota.

Having said that, I've honestly never heard anyone seriously pronounce the name of my home state as New Joisey... not sure where that came from. In southern New Jersey, where I live, most of us have "mid-atlantic" accents which I believe is the stereo-typical American accent... much like they talk in So Co. In northern New Jersey you'll hear a very unique accent, the roots of which aren't immediately apparent. I believe it's a combination of "NYC", "New England" and plain old "mid atalntic" accents.
Quote:
thats odd..my last post didn't take...
That is because you hit the "Report Post" button Mithrilblade. You sent a Tattle-tale email notice to the council members requesting us to look at this thread. I ignored it after I figured out what went wrong. I often hit the "New Topic" button instead of the "Post Reply" button. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
What's the matter Mith.. dont like my thread? You tattle tale! :p:

Val is short for Valedhelgwath. Though.. I'm not sure you can figure out he or she from that name Big Laugh Smilie

*waves to proggy!* eh Orc Grinning Smilie
*waves back at Gimli*

Quote:
Oh, come now! Somebody down there in the US is saying "New Joisey". You can't tell me that one was just made up!

Oy! I walked right into that one, didn't I?

I finally went back and saw what this thread was all about. I went looking for a site about sayings and phrases and couldn't come up with anything new Sad Smilie

I did find a site about TV and Movie catch phrases like

"I pity the fool!" - Mr. T

"Whachu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!" - Arnold on Diff'rent Strokes

"Now we so happy, we do the dance of joy!" - Balki on Perfect Strangers

"Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!!" - old lady on Life-call commercials

"Where's the beef?!" - old lady on Wendy's commercials

"Norm!!" - Patrons on Cheers

"Thunder, thunder, thunder, thundercats hoooooooo!" - Lion-o on Thundercats

"Watch it, sucka!" - Aunt Esther on Sanford and Son.

"Know what I mean, Vern?" - Ernest P. Worrel

"I meant to do that!" - Pee Wee Herman

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

Ahh, nostalgia... Umph! I'm a little verklempt! Tawlk amonst yourselves... I'll give you a topic: Catch Phrases of the 70's, 80's and 90's... discuss!
Where is Prog? He's hardly been arroung lately!

Here's some more TV catchphrases.

I ain't gettin' on no plane! Mr T - The A team

Now I'm going to make some rabbits! Norm Abram - New Yankie Workshop

Oh it's good, but not quite good enough! Roy Walker - Catchphrase

Sorry I'll stop now
You did not just quote Bill and Teds proggy!!!!!! Time to bump my thread up on the subject I think.. Im sure the others will be Sooooo pleased. Orc Grinning Smilie
I'm still lurking around. Elf Smilie
Ummm... hello!
Whats this thread turned into?

There was intellectual conversation going on in here once upon a time. Elf Confused Smilie

[Edited on 22/5/2003 by Luthien79]
Bout damn time!!!

*waves back*
Well, there aren't many intellectual threads in the prancing pony anyway. The beginning of this thread was about as intellectual as you'd get in here. HAHA.
What exactly is this thread about?? I“ve heard that it is a quite funny threadTongue Smilie
Quote:
What exactly is this thread about?? I“ve heard that it is a quite funny threadTongue Smilie
This thread is about idoms, phrases that have different meanings than what you would get, were you to decipher their individual definitions and string those together. The meaning of these phrases often vary according to location and or the class of their users. Teenagers use these for code to annoy their elders. Speaking as one who has been on both ends of the situation.
alright i got one... just how in zeus' behind does bangers mean sausages???

and yes.. part of that was a direct quote from The Rock..... I'll let you all figure out which part...

[Edited on 28/5/2003 by Allyssa]
Quote:
... just how in zeus' behind does bangers mean sausages???
I don't really know, but have guessed that when all the fat and moisture sealed up in that pork gut gets heated in the frying pan it turns to steam and finds a weak spot in the casing for an outlet and the little resulting explosion is a sizzle, sizzle:
Quote:
Exploding Head Smilie Bang!!!
ohh I got edited.. me bad Tongue Smilie

well grondy.. thats an interesting theory... Wink Smilie where are our british counterparts to help?????
Grondy got it in one. If you let the preasure build up whilst frying them they eventually go bang!
Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!Gimli is an elf-friend!

Big Smile Smilie Big Laugh Smilie
Now now Aulė, it's not nice to call people names. Wink Smilie

And pooof! There Ross turned into a chubby bearded fellow, Taz finally got it up I see. Who is it Ross?
It's Pedro the Gypsy. Cool isn't he?
He looks familiar, Ross. Where's he from?
Quote:
He looks familiar, Ross. Where's he from?
Cooties! "Hello Va,l my little fishing friend. Maybe you like me to read you your tarot?"
Only if it's good news.
  << [1] [2] [3] >>