Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Oh NOOOO!!???

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Oh NOOOO!!???   
Legata_GreenLeaf: I wore braces for six years back when they really hurt, but I got out of school for a day every other week when I got to take the hour long bus ride to the big city to get them tightened. which made my mouth hurt for a couple days afterwards.

On those trips, which I made by myself, I would get to the city an hour before my appointment and spend it in a hobby shop looking at model cars, ships, and airplane kits.

After the appointment I would go to a movie and hope it finished before I had to leave for the bus ride back home. I usually got home half-an-hour before school was out, so it was neat not having to go back to class. And by then the adhesive holding the metal bands that were clamped to each tooth had had time to set-up so I could have something to eat, having had to skip lunch waiting for the adhesive to set up.

I found there were three keys to wearing braces: Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

1) Train your tongue to quit exploring the rough spots. (Unless you enjoy having a sore tongue too.)

2) Don't put aluminum foil in your mouth. (It can cause an minor electrical shock.)

3) Refrain from getting into situations where your face can punch another party's fist. (Unless you enjoy bleeding lips.)

Elf Winking Smilie
Wow Grondmaster! You are the first person I've ever know that has come close to having their braces on as long as I have...

9 painful years!

Don't read the following if you don't like to hear someone's ramblings :

My teeth were straight by the second year but there was a lot of realigning they needed to do with my jaw in which they beleived they could do with braces. I keep telling my parents it was just a scam and they were trying to get money out of us. Smile Smilie

At the end of the nine years they finally gave up trying to realign my jaw and told me that I will have to get surgery done if I want the problem corrected. I still think they were just scamming us, because there is nothing wrong with my face...

Done Rambling

So good luck to you. The pain will go away after a couple of week,

*wear lots of chapstick

*don't eat popcorn

*brush your teeth every chance you get

I used to eat really cold jello and try to stick it between my teeth and gums to ease the pain.

Don't try that with gum!

BTW: Gum that you can chew that doesn't get stuck easy is trident.

There's a few of my tips

Smile Smilie
My sister had braces for several years as well. I do not remember for how long. She had to have all her wisdom teeth pulled and her pallet broken. Each time she went to get her braces tightened, they had to widen her pallet, also. She was in so much pain afterwards and could not eat anything or talk being the mean big sister that was I always enjoyed when she went to the orthodontist. Now that I look back on it, I feel bad. However, at the time it would keep her quiet.
I've gotta get 'em. Sad Smilie gulp!
Im getting braces rather soon myself! Wink Smilie
I won't mind it, my sister has them(where going to the same orthodentist) and says they really dont hurt much but that its annoying to have to brush your teeth so often.
Thank ya'all for the tips they will come in handy!
Quote:
Wow Grondmaster! You are the first person I've ever know that has come close to having their braces on as long as I have...
9 painful years

*gulp*...wow thats too long, but I bet you have lovely looking teeth. Lucky me, im only going to have them on for about 2 years.
*Fea
I had braces for a year I think, and they never bothered me much. Except that I got them about 10 days before my confirmation.. I also had a metal wire/string thingie over the roof of the mouth to push the molars outwards (no need for retainers!), i called it "the tongue-splitter". I still have a u-shaped mark on my tongue. But it was only slightly painfull if my mouth was dry. Wink Smilie

I even played the cornet in the brass band! I got some wax plates from the dentist, cut a fitting piece, heated it in hot water and put it on. Very helpful!

My tongue got relly good at cleaning braces after lunch, so no embarrasing "smiling with food" incidents, and I just brushed them really well mornings and evenings.

Quote:
She had to have all her wisdom teeth pulled and her pallet broken. Each time she went to get her braces tightened, they had to widen her pallet, also.
Shocked Smilie OMG! That sounds so awfull! How or earth can a pallet be widend? I get horrble pictures in my mind..
I got mine a week ago. I only have to wear them for two years. The spacers were the worst part.
I`ve got to have them as well, as soon as all my teeth have come through. Sad Smilie
One thing i'm gonna like is- I have to have surgery, and get my wisdom teeth removed, but I get laughing gas before I get put sleep. Very Big Grin Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
One thing i'm gonna like is- I have to have surgery, and get my wisdom teeth removed, but I get laughing gas before I get put sleep. Very Big Grin Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie
Yeah but ... The next couple of days aren't going to be especially happy ones. Saltwater rinses, no popcorn, only soft food, and a mouthful of pain.

Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Or maybe you will be one of the lucky ones. I hope so, for your sake. Two of mine were inpacted and they had to be broken up to get them out, so I lost six teeth that day.
Sad Smilie I am getting braces real soon, and I am not exicted about gettting them. But at least once they finally take them of you teeth will be strait. Wink Smilie
Irima-arwen
I just want to comment: STOP your whinin! Looking back, I really wish I had had braces when I was young. My personal situation is: I was as needlephobic as my parents were poor. So when my dentist said braces, and I thought to myself (insert obscene phrase roughly equivalent to "go fly a kite" here) nobody argued with me.

And now I don't have the money to get em for myself... Very Sad Smilie But I can dream!
Quote:
I just want to comment: STOP your whinin! Looking back, I really wish I had had braces when I was young. My personal situation is: I was as needlephobic as my parents were poor. So when my dentist said braces, and I thought to myself (insert obscene phrase roughly equivalent to "go fly a kite" here) nobody argued with me.

And now I don't have the money to get em for myself... Very Sad Smilie But I can dream!
That must suck, all I can say is save a lot a money...easier said than done though good luck.

[Edited on 13/8/2003 by Dark_Duelist]