Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Show me the way to go home...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Show me the way to go home...   
Wherever I may roam, on land or sea or foam (this bit could be a bit innacurate) you can always hear me singing this song, show me the way to go home.

As to where it comes from, I have no idea, but I think it's just a traditional drinking thing, I'm sure someone can put me right though.
Yup, It is the song the bands always played for the drunks after the last waltz, at the closing down of the Saturday Night Legion Hall Dances in my home town, some fifty years ago, and before I assume.
Quote:
Show me the way to go home!
I'm tired and I want to go to bed.
I had a little drink about an hour ago,
and it went right to my head.
Wherever I may roam,
o'er land or sea or foam,
you will always hear me singing this song.
Great tune! That always sticks in my head for like a week every time I watch Jaws again. Plus anytime that I'm super tired, or have had a few too many, and Iím ready to crash, that always pops in my head as well!
Sleeping Smilie
Oh yeah... like that tune. I've only ever heard it sung in Jaws though. Right before the shark eats the light...
and now you know why i brought it up! thanx guys... I never knew the entire lyrics Smile Smilie
Quote:
Wherever I may roam,

*squints at the lyrics. Leaves computer, rumages under her bed for a few minutes, gets mauled by her cat, but eventualy finds her reading glasses. Puts reading glasses on, detaches cat from head and squints at the lyrics again*
This is from Jaws? Okay, wheres the line that mentions getting devoured slowly and painfully by an overgrown guppy...er, sorry...over grown shark? Read Smilie
Wherever I may roam,

.....Big Smile Smilie this could become the 'Mariners Guild' theme song..Wink Smilie

that or:

Roll out the barrel,
We'll have a barrel of fun
Roll out the barrel,
We've got the blues on the run
Zing boom tararrel,
Ring out a song of good cheer
Now's the time to roll the barrel,
For the gang's all here