Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Ethnic/Different Foods

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Ethnic/Different Foods   
Have you ever heard of "pork" Wink Smilie
I love bannick bread.
Arco,what is a kugelis?
MenudoWink Smilie
well, my favourite food is Chicken Kiev, but I imagine people has heard of that.
When I used to be a fisherman we used to cook the shrimps and prawns on board. Occasionally a whiting (a fish similar to a small cod) would find its way into the cooking pot too, and find itself boiled. Once boiled, the flesh of any fish would disintegrate in the washing riddle, leaving pretty much just the skeleton. What used to get left behind too, was the fishes stomach. Having been boiled it would go rubbery, and these stomachs would eventually find themselves in a bag with the shrimps.

Oh, yer, the relevence to this thread???

Occasionally these rubbery boiled stomachs would still contain a partially digested shrimp that the fish had dined on, the gastric juices having disolved the shrimps carapace.
I don't think there's any name for these shrimps wrapped in boiled fish stomachs, but they are really nice. For some reason, no one else seems willing to try them.
I LOVE mashed potatoes! That has to be my favorite food. I don't really like spicy, unless it's Middle Eastern spicy, like curry Big Smile Smilie
Kugelis are a Lithuanian food; they're supposed to be like potatos fried w/ onions and stuff, but my grandmother makes them with bacon strips and I heap sour cream on them. Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
Kugelis are a Lithuanian food; they're supposed to be like potatos fried w/ onions and stuff, but my grandmother makes them with bacon strips and I heap sour cream on them. Big Smile Smilie
Makes my mouth water Arcor. Puppy Smilie
I love potatoes in any way they are cooked, but my fave is tordesillas which you might have heard of. It's a Spanish dish where you fry the potatoes with eggs (along with onions or mushrooms), it's very simple but delicious. I can eat it everyday! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
my fave is tordesillas which you might have heard of. It's a Spanish dish where you fry the potatoes with eggs (along with onions or mushrooms), it's very simple but delicious. I can eat it everyday!

Wow, I thought I'd invented that! I call it Spuds a la Dave, and I do eat it nearly everyday.
Eggs benedict, with bacon on toast, breakfast
Toad-in-t’hole, dinner
Roast pork (with crackling), Yorkshire puddings, sprouts, roast potatoes and gravy, tea

(Grondy merely fixed the errant ASCII number; he couldn't find any bad language to censer.) Elk Grinning Smilie

[Edited on 22/9/2003 by Grondmaster]
Quote:
Eggs benedict, with bacon on toast, breakfast
Toad-in-t’hole, dinner
Roast pork (with crackling), Yorkshire puddings, sprouts, roast potatoes and gravy, tea

Yum! Yorkshire puddings! I haven't had those in ages! I really like my dad's shrimp jambalaya and gumbo! He makes it for me when I'm sick
Quote:
shrimp jambalaya and gumbo
So is that the real name for my partially digested shrimps rolled in boiled fish stomachs?
Quote:
(Grondy merely fixed the errant ASCII number; he couldn't find any bad language to censer.)
do you want me to add some? Wink Smilie
Quote:
do you want me to add some? Wink Smilie
Thankyou, but no, Thankyou!
Quote:
I`m willing to try anything as long as it`s not alive when I`m eating it (like some asian foods are - live squid! EWWW) I`d probably even be willing to try those shrimps Val!!

No way for me... lol.
Anyone like Chicken cordon bleu? (I THINK that's how you spell it, never was great at French.)
Oh yes Arco,that stuff is heavenly
I'd have to say I'm partial to "Tasty Wheat," Arco. Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
Hehe,this recipe is called Witche`s Brew,very yummy.
1 qt Apple juice
1 1/2 c Canned, unsweetened pinapple
2 tb Fresh lemon juice
3 Cinnamon sticks.
«Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan.
Heat over low heat until ready to serve.
Thanx LadyFeawen, I will try that evr since I'll come back from school... Big Smile Smilie. Like most of the french fellows, my best meal would be Saulmon and boiled potatoes(sorry ae... Wink Smilie )
Boiled potatoes Flo??? *Ae makes a wierd noise and runs far away, although you can hear someone yell something about how ordinary pasta with meatsauce is very good* Tongue Smilie
I haven't heard of bannick bread, Chicken Kiev, menudo, or toad 'n the hole. Got The Blues Smilie I Could someone tell me what they are?
Bannock Bread is basically fried bread. Ingrediants vary, depending on location. Boy Scouts use flour, I think, and wrap it on a stick and cook it over a campfire. My Scottish grandmother, used oatmeal and fried it in the pan, yummy.
Chicken Kiev is boneless chicken breast rolled up with butter and herbs in the middle, breaded and fried.
Toad in the Hole is something like pigs in the blanket. Sausages lined in a pan and covered with biscuit dough (or something similar) and baked in the oven.
At least these are the ways I have cooked these culinary delights. Wink Smilie
Oh, then I've had bannock bread and toad 'n the hole before, though we usually put jelly in the bannock bread after it's cooked. Smile Smilie
Yes,sorry I ment bannock bread.
Anyone here heard of Rice Pudding?My sister makes it and it is HORRID,(no offense sis). Wink Smilie
Rice pudding is very yummy! I like tapioca more though. I had mashed potatoes the other day for dinner. That's it, just mashed potatoes. Yummy! Flo, I'm going to have to teach you how to mash those potatoes, that's the only way to do it! Boiled, blah! Wink Smilie
Quote:
Toad in the Hole is something like pigs in the blanket. Sausages lined in a pan and covered with biscuit dough (or something similar) and baked in the oven.
i don't know who's been cooking yours. It's yorkshire pudding with sausages in the batter mix, then when it's cooked the yorkshire pudding rises arround the sausages.
Quote:
i don't know who's been cooking yours. It's yorkshire pudding with sausages in the batter mix, then when it's cooked the yorkshire pudding rises arround the sausages
Yeah, I had heard that it was done that way too. We tend to ruin everything with biscuit (Bisquick, even) dough over here. Tongue Smilie
I would think it would be much nicer with Yorkshire pudding, thought. Yum.
You should try it. Big Smile Smilie
I like falafel.

When I was in Argentina, I had empanadas that were very different from the empanadas I get here in Sonoran desert. They had a meat filling whereas ours are usually filled with fruit.