Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: PT Advice Collum

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > PT Advice Collum   
I've always been told that I give good advice, so I thought that I'd start a thread for us all to give each other advice on life's trivial problems. So if anyone has a problem or dilemma, big or small, that you can't seem to come to a conclusion about, or you just need an opinion or input, please post here. There are a lot of us and together we can help one another!
yes,I realized too late that I had misspelled "column". Sorry!
I read it as 'PT Advice Gollum' and wondered what on Middle Earth would I advise Gollum to do? Don't dance near the edge of pits of boiling lava!!!!

Tell gollum to try a fish supper with deep fried 'Taters! thats my advice... i rather liked the idea of an "Advice Gollum", Smeagol/Gollum give alternate advice on folks problems with hilarious results...

OK i'm gonna start a thread!

Very Big Grin Smilie
I think its a great idea Ainulindhe. Ok, heres something. On Sunday im getting confirmed at my church. My dad, and a whole lot of other ppl r going to be there. But i have to walk down with my parents, and my mom wants my stepdad, Al to walk down instead of my dad. i dont mind Al, but he sure isnt my dad. what do i do????
Repent now and save yourself a lifetime of sundays, my son.
Let them both walk with you.
Well, I'm always good in solving someone else's problems, but never my own.

You know, we have several topics about problems. This one, the brooding club and there is an other one I think. And we have so many names relating to Tolkien's books, but why don't we call one of these topics 'the houses of healing'? People could go there with both emotional and physical problems and of course also with 'cures'.
A Jolly Good Idea, said Vee and sits back to wait....

Or maybe a forum called Houses of Healing with lots of threads from sick people (spirit, soul and body)

not a bad idea Gnampie, and Tarrant, srry, i am already a dedicated christian. but the problem, Vee, is that my mom said that she would basically refuse to walk down with both of them. I can image the same thing happening on my wedding day (which is probably centuries away). she and my dad dont get along very well at all. i really wouldnt want to start a fight with my mom on the topic of my father.

They can't get along for the few moments it takes to walk down the isle? They will ruin your day just because they don't get along?

It seems that YOU should be the priority, not what your parents think of each other. And you should have the right to have your father walk with you. Not your stepfather. An your mother should underdstand and respect that.
Thanks for the supprot Stonehelm, but no. my mom always has the argument that my father hasnt been a major part of my life. but i have only known my stepdad for about 3 years, and im not that close to him anyway (my mom claims it is because im a teenager, but its really becuase Al doesnt know how to talk to me, which is kinda funny to watch). my stepdad didnt say much when i talked to my mom about it. i wasnt trying to hurt his feelings, but i dont feel very attachted to him in any emotional way at all. He isnt the type of guy that u can get very close 2.
Quote:
They can't get along for the few moments it takes to walk down the isle? They will ruin your day just because they don't get along?

It seems that YOU should be the priority, not what your parents think of each other. And you should have the right to have your father walk with you. Not your stepfather. An your mother should underdstand and respect that.

That's almost exactly what I would have said Stony! Elf Winking Smilie
Ok i need some advice.

i have a crush on this really great guy. i told him and he said i was really sweet but just didnt feel the same and that we should just be friends. it has been a little while since i told him and he is being really nice to me. sometimes he smiles at me and is just really nice. he said he doesnt like me but now he acts like he may like me. i am afiad to tell him because he might feel like i am running after him. [ok i am, but he doesnt have to know it right?] anyways can i have some advice?

-Evithian Ehtmire
Quote:
but the problem, Vee, is that my mom said that she would basically refuse to walk down with both of them.

tell your mom that she is being selfish, that day is your day, not hers, and all your asking her to do is walk down the isle. she should be more mature about this and get it over with, if she still refuses i would go without her, its her loss and choice that she wont be with you. but i would also talk to your pastor and maybe you could ask him to talk to your mom. hope this help and i will pray for you. Smile Smilie
yep I agree! You tell her that either she walks down with your real dad or she doesn't walk down at all!! I think it is very selfish to say that because she doesn't even have to make eye contact with him in fact you could even walk in between them so they are seperated!! Don't worry I'll be praying for you too, I'm sure alot of people are!! Hopefully eventually your parents will work things out a little bit!! We're here for you!!
Quote:
Posted Monday 10th May 2004 (01:34am)

Ok i need some advice.

i have a crush on this really great guy. i told him and he said i was really sweet but just didnt feel the same and that we should just be friends. it has been a little while since i told him and he is being really nice to me. sometimes he smiles at me and is just really nice. he said he doesnt like me but now he acts like he may like me. i am afiad to tell him because he might feel like i am running after him. [ok i am, but he doesnt have to know it right?] anyways can i have some advice?

-Evithian Ehtmire

Maybe he's changed his mind. Let him call everything. Don't say anything, just play along how he manages things. You'd get pretty embarrassed if he didn't like you. And if he really does, he'll get up the courage to say something since he knows you feel the same.
That's really great advice Loni!!! Go you!! Big Smile Smilie And if you don't already you should get to know him better, but it sounds like you actually do. But if you become friends then he might start liking you more. And be nice to him, some people think flirting is to be mean to the guy!! But I don't get that!! Won't he think you don't like him then!!?? Maybe I need some advice before I start giving any!! Just Kidding!!
thanx for the advice loni & hobbithommie, i will try my best to use it. Smile Smilie

---EvithianEhtmire
Quote:
Thanks for the supprot Stonehelm, but no. my mom always has the argument that my father hasnt been a major part of my life. but i have only known my stepdad for about 3 years, and im not that close to him anyway (my mom claims it is because im a teenager, but its really becuase Al doesnt know how to talk to me, which is kinda funny to watch). my stepdad didnt say much when i talked to my mom about it. i wasnt trying to hurt his feelings, but i dont feel very attachted to him in any emotional way at all. He isnt the type of guy that u can get very close 2.

Well... that is something.... I'll tell you a story, about my very best friend, and how she got over that feeling. See her dad left them the day before she turned 12, i remember, i was there too.... he was kind of my dad too.... i mean.... she used to come and sleep at my place one night, and i'd go the other.... we were always together and at the same time we had double parents.... so when he left i felt aweful too.... a month after her mom got married.... which... we only now are old enough to realize means that she already had a relationship with Tommy... or Tommaso, her new hubby.... now anyway.... so my best friend wasn't feeling to great about it... and this guy didn't like me at all.... so in little time he actually made it so that i couldn't go over anymore... and my best friend couldn't come here.... then we found out that my best friend's mom was pregnant with tommy's baby.... that was aweful.... my best friend kept calling this new baby "the bastard" because she didn't want it. so one day she decided that she had to pull them apart. meanwhile i went to live in the US. i kept in touch,. but we weren't as close anymore so she didn't tell me what she did... i don't really know how she did it.... but she made tommy lave. after that, life wasn't the same anymore.... the baby didn't have a dad and her mom was always mean and nervous. when i came back, i went to talk to tommy, and i found out that he was deppresed, and thought that we hated him. point was, that it was never him hating us, or not talking to us, but it was us not giving him a chance. so what i'm trying to say is not make ur mom and al slipt up, no that's never good, but try to talk to him, and if he doesn't know how to say, you do the talking! Smile Smilie it worked for us, now we are best friends again, and we sleep over at each others' house every other night, and we love our new baby sister, we choose her name, called her Luiza, and nicked her "Luly".

Namarie,
Arwen
wow.that was really deep.i am really begining to like this thread.
that is a sad story with a really sweet ending!! It's good that the baby girl has a caring sister to look after her!!
I've always been pretty sensible, and mature. Then, I just met this guy, and now I'm in love. Seriously. And I'm only 13. And I know It won't last long, but in the meantime, should I tell him how I feel, or should I just treat him normally. I mean, I think I should just treat him normally, but he's 2 years older than me, so I don't even know what normal is...HELP!
Are you really in love with this guy? Because uh if it is just a crush then I wouldn't bother!! Sorry!!!
Just browsin through the site ye know....but ya see when I see these kinda threads I have ta take a look cause it is always full of guff.
Right let me see....Nessa_narmolanya ya say yer in love....right yer 13 and yer in love with this guy who is 15 and ya say yer mature, grow up.... ye aint mature ...ye might think te r but yer not...if ye think yer in love and hook up with this guy, you'll probably be worst off in a few years time.
Elanamirkad yer Mum is an idiot Stoney is right its yer day if ye want yer pops there go for it..I dont know but I say yer pops doesn' mind bing there with yer ma an' stepdad...and if yer ma cant see this well tell her straight and if she aint there she aint there its her fault not yers rememeber that.

EvithianEhtmire if this guy was interested he would have said sumthing he aint fergit 'bout him and move onto sumthing else that is it.
Wow - for once, Dauros gave good advice...and I agree (golly day, can't believe I just admitted that). Very Mad Smilie Tongue Smilie

Elanamirkad, I've got a similar situation, only with grandparents. My grandma hates my grandpa with a passion, I believe, b/c of whatever happened between them (don't know, don't want to) before and during their divorce. I adore my grandpa and my grandma and her husband, and so invited both to my graduation. They both wanted certain honors during all that but my grandpa asked first. Yeah, you can imagine how that went over. I told my grandma I loved her dearly, I respected ehr and her wishes, but it was my choice and I made it. Shen didn't like it and I had to go through some tough months, but in the end, it has turned out okay. I'd advise the same for you. Big Smile Smilie

Nessa_narmolanya...I've got a twenty-some friend who is still looking for the right guy and she's still not sure if she's mature enough. At 13, you're still going through major changes and your mind and body don't know which way is up. Right now, admire from a distance if you want, but don't get involved - neither of you are mature enough to hold together a serious relationship right now. (Nothing against you, personally, though, okay? Big Smile Smilie )

EvithianEhtmire - listen to all the guys. They know...and we girls like to think something is there that never entered the guy's mind. And I've had alot of talks with my brother, two years older than me, and trust me, if he's acting like that, there's nothing there. Smile Smilie
Hey Nessa, being in love does happen at your age but I still go with Darous on this one. You might not be ready to have a girlfriend/boyfriend at your age (like many 13 year olds) and end up damaging your life due to stupid relationships caused by lack of maturity (with time comes wisdom and maturity that are important to having a long, good relationship with a person of the opposite sex).
Like Nilly said, it's nothing personal what I am saying. Smile Smilie
I wish you good luck with getting over him. *hug* It's never an easy thing getting over a guy and it takes time.