Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: HI guys!i'm new here...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > HI guys!i'm new here...   << [1] [2]
Welcome to PT, Lady Val! It is a great place and I hope you'll enjoy your stay here!

Btw, Val is our encyclopedia, so forgive us for keeping him so much around here!
I think this is my first post here. I tried to make one other, but I can't seem to find it. So if this is a repost and I am just completly inept, please forgive me.

I just finished reading the Hobbit and the LOTR. And it has left me full of questions.

Where did Sauron come from?
What are the wizards?
What is Tom B.? (And his wife seems very close to nature, could she be an entwife in a changed form?)
Is Mr. Willow a Heuron?
What happened in the first age (this seems like one of the moreintersting ages.)
Why send Leggolas on the fellowship when GLoryfindel seems much more suited for the job of fighting off Nazgoul and other bag guys?

I don't expect answers to all these questions here. I was just wondering if these answers were in the other books? (Unfinished tales, the Simillion (sp?)). Which should I read next?

Most of the post on these boards seems to talk of things that are not in the four books I have read. Are they in these other two?

Thanks for helping out someone new to the books.

And this is a great site. Hopefully one day I can lean enough to add something intelligent to the post here.

Thanks again.
Hi Obsessed, welcome to PT. Waving Hello Smilie
You will find the answer to many of your questions in The Silmarillion by Tolkien. And to guide you through while you are reading the book, we have a very comprehensive reader's discussion group which deals with just The Silmarillion. Just click and the link will take you there.
I hope you enjoy your stay. You can ask questions in any of the threads on the message board pertaining to the books under Books or Characters.
hi im new here in fact im new to computers we bought this one for my granddaughter who is four and lives with us you all sound quite young but im not ithought i might be too old for this but would loveto give it a try i am also quite slow so you will have to forgive any mistakes
Welcome Shipman to PT. Unfortunately not all of us are young in flesh, although we are young at heart and in spirit! The neatest thing about this site is that young or not-so-young can share in the common love of Tolkien's works. Hope you enjoy this site and are able to wrestle the computer away from your granddaughter from time to time to come and visit here! Welcome again!

Also welcome to Obsessed. Like Rednell said, you can find alot of answers to questions in the discussion threads. Personally I'm reading the Silmarillion for the first time. Its a little slow going for me, but the discussion threads have helped alot. And if you get really stuck for an answer, just email one of the council members. They are all very nice and quick to share their wisdom.

Welcome again Shipman and Obsessed! Wiggle Smilie
Welcome Shipman,
As Terrijayne has mentioned, we have a very wide range of ages here {yes, even grandparents}, but we are all young at heart. Smile Smilie
Don't be afraid to ask for help, we are more than happy to be of assistance. You might find the FAQ and ChatFAQ thread very useful too.
See you in the chatroom.
Rednell
Hi Einar! It is great ot see you again. I have moved your post to Quotes Smile Smilie
A warm welcome to both Obssesed and Shipman. Hope you have an awesome time here. Cya around!
Welcome to the site, Obsessed.

I have answered most of your questions in the following thread. Click this link to go there...Random Questions From Newbies

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Also, welcome to the site, Shipman. Half our membership are under 16, but we do have a good age spread among the rest of us. I look forward to seeing you around here.
Hi, and welcome Lady Val! Congratulations to you and Val btw! In Love Smilie I wish you both all the best! Happy Elf Smilie

Also, greetings to both Obsessed and Shipman, welcome to PT! Waving Hello Smilie

Obsessed, like everyone's said, you should definitely read The Silmarillion next, then UT.
Read Smilie
Welcome to Planet-Tolkien Shipman and Obsessed, I hope you enjoy yourselves. Happy Elf Smilie Some of us are experiancing our second childhoods here. I'm only 64 this time around. Elk Grinning Smilie
Happy Elf Smilie Hi! I just joined the group today, but have been enthralled with the lore of Middle Earth for over a decade now. I'm a thirty-something nature lover livin' in a very Shire-like place, although would really like to live somewhere more like the Greyhavens. I joined to find fellowship with like-minded individuals, and to share in the great web of resources and info, (and to feel like I'm not alone). Thank you for this site.

I'm sure I'll have more to contribute in the future. At the moment my thoughts, feelings, ideas and realisations seem to be in a state of flux (very common for me), especially after reading or viewing Tolkien's stories. I feel the depth and breadth of the myth engulf me like it IS me and it's trying to tell me something of universal importance. I can't explain more, but I suppose I just mean that the stories affect me in such a big way that I can't express. Although I might fit in on the outside, I certainly don't fit into the social mores and status quo all around me. It is nice to have a place like this where I can just sit back, have a cuppa and relax with good people.

Anyway, that's my intro. You'll be seeing more of me as time passes.

In Truth,
Celynnen
Welcome to our planet, Celynnen Waving Hello Smilie
I hope that you do enjoy your time spent among our like minded Tolkien enthusiasts. As you can see, there is plenty to explore and lots of discussion, some deep and serious and some are silly and just for fun.
So grab your cuppa and come in for a chat in our chatroom sometime. I would love to meet you. Big Smile Smilie
In Fellowship,
Rednell
Hello, Celynnen! Welcome to PT! I myself found this great place about five months ago, but have also been a Tolkien-enthusiast for a very long time. Good to have you here! Excellent introduction, also-hope to see as much of you as you have promised! I think you will find everyone very friendly, intelligent, polite and caring here at PT-a Last Homely House, indeed. Glad to have you as our newest addition!Smile Smilie
Yup, welcome to our home-away-from-home Celynnen. If you can't find an answer, ask. If you have an answer, tell. Enjoy yourself and our fellowship. Happy Elf Smilie
Yep - what they all said.

Have fun here, Celynnen and I'll probably see you in the chatroom sometime.
Hi Celynnen !

Welcome here! We met briefly in the chat yesterday and I arrived just a day before you! I hope you like it here as much as I do Smile Smilie
I appreciate the warm welcome, guys. I'll just be nosin' around a bit at first...I'm still trying to see what all goes on around here. There are some interesting threads going and sometimes I feel like a Dunce Smilie As many times as I've read the trilogy and part of the Sil (twice, I didn't make it thru *embarassed grin), I forget so much detail! I'm sure I'll pick up a lot I've forgotten hanging around here though. Wink Smilie

As much as I try to remember things I'm horrible with my memory (you've been warned). I have the sign of Pisces in my charts 3 times so I'm more of a "feeler". I like to let the myth talk to me, if you know what I mean. Well, that's enough about me for now.

See you all around! Smoke Smilie
Hi Celynnen! Welcome to PT, nice to have another Pisces around! Hope you enjoy your time here!
Waving Hello Smilie
  << [1] [2]