Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Recommend a film/dvd

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Recommend a film/dvd   << [1] [2] [3]
Is no one going to comment on MY FILM?? The BEST EVER!!!!! Ever invented. The SCarlet Pimeprnel was my favourite for many years, but this takes the cake. Someone comment on it!!! And, did you notice in my huge post I only gave a few spoilers. Aren't I careful?
I've been wanting to see Phanton of the Opera, but I need to find a girlfriend who will see it with me. My husband has no interest. I like to play the piano music from the musical, or at least I did ten years ago...I think you wrote somewhere about playing the new music. Is it good? I will see it...and when I do, I'll let you know what I think, k? Smile Smilie Oh, and I didn't read your last post until now because I was afraid you were going to give something away. So you do play the music...is it good?
Okay Loni, which one do you mean the original 1925 movie, Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 Opera, or the 2004 movie of the the latter? And I'm sure there were a couple more movies made in between those. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

As far as the Scarlet Pimpernel goes it was written in 1905 and had ten sequels and had a whole host of movies, TV and radio shows about him as well as a few plays and musicals. So which one are you on about? I first read the book in 1957 and loved it and I could never obtain any of the sequels.
did anyone watch the BAFTAs? or has anyone seen "the motorcycle diaries"? which won two
and who said "the man who would be king" i mean, wot a film? fantastic
Motorcycle Diaries is a good film. I liked it, but if I was to expand on my thoughts, I would get into politics, and that's not allowed. Darn.
alas! but even without political feeling on the matter, great film, like a road movie for non-morons
True...even from a non-political aspect...great film. I've heard people say that they find the ending a bit too symbolic though, like it was crammed down their throats, but I thought it was good.
i can see where theyre comin from, but i didnt mind it, i though tthe endin was pretty good
Okay, Loni...at your instigations I saw Phantom of the Opera. I agree with your friend: It's sad, but not THAT sad. The whole last part of the movie dragged on and on. The first half was good though, and all the performers were fantastic. Webber should have left it on the stage though.
NEVERLAND ... with johnny depp and kate winslet... a beautiful and moving film...
If any of you like Westerns, and you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend The Magnificent Seven. Great film, and a true Western classic with an all-star studded cast (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Eli Wallach, and a young Charlie Bronson just to name a few)!
Smoke Smilie
one film I prolly wouldn't recomend is 28 days latter, man, talk about violent, blood and guts for miles, interesting theory though.
Guys, Phantom of the Opera is the coolest film in the whole entire history of world films ever. In the history of ever ever. Like forever ever ever. So you have to see it.
A ver y good film to watch is Man Bites Dog.
It is a documentary bout a seriously warrped mass murdered who kills with no motive or conscience. It shows the development of tthe relationship between the film crew and the murdered it is very funny for younger members I would advise against it and you also Rhodry you seem to have a weak stomach no Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie
I agree with Elfy that The Magnificent Seven is a great movie, though I enjoy watching it's forerunner, The Seven Samurai even more.
Quote:
I agree with Elfy that The Magnificent Seven is a great movie, though I enjoy watching it's forerunner, The Seven Samurai even more.

I completely agree. I love Seven Samurai.

I've been catching up on movies on that "I meant to go see them in the theater but now I have to remmber to rent themon DVD" list... I saw Garden State, which was very good if you are willing to watch slightly strange very character driven movies that don't have a plot other than "finding one's true self" - sort of a Catcher In The Rye sort of movie. In the similar theme, I also finally got to see Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, which renewed my love for Kate Winslet and for the Kaufman writing style. Capped it off with Sideways which I enjoyed a lot more than I expected to - but I have NO idea why it was nominated for on Oscar.

Grep and I did go to see Hitch in the theater and it was a lot funnier than I expected. Will Smith cracks me up. It was nice to have some fluff after the introspective "why humans are who they are" movies I had seen recently. Hey everyone needs fluff sometimes... though I am not sure that I really deserved having to sit through TWO movie previews with Aston Kuchner in order to get my laughs.
You mean NO ONE has watched Phantom of the Opera on this website? You have missed out a million times over on the best film of all time.
Quote:

I still haven't seen The Seven Samurai yet, will get around to it soon!

However, OMG, I finally saw Ray for the first time last night (yeah, I can't believe it took me that long either), and all I can say is wow! I realize my view might be slightly biased since I'm a musician, but that was easily up there with some of the very best films I've ever seen! Wow!!!!
Super Wow Smilie
Seven Samurai is ok but very dated and realistacally not one to make you reach for the 'repeat' button.

One film i have watched recently is 'Scarface' with Al Pacino.

Now that is actually a good film none of this 'Hellboy' or 'Phantom of the Opera' rubbish ive been reading please, whats the matter with u people?

A good movie I like, i've seen it about 3 times, is The Fast and The Furious. I also like the second one, but the first is waaay better.
I also saw Alien vs. Predator a while ago and i'm definitly getting it on DVD, because it's awesome. I also kind of like the old horror films - for a good laugh, but my dad loves them. The graphics are really bad, but they're funny because they're pathetic.
Quote:
Now that is actually a good film none of this 'Hellboy' or 'Phantom of the Opera' rubbish ive been reading please, whats the matter with u people?

RUBBISH??? I resent that. I don't suppose you've even SEEN it?!?!?
They're just trolling you, Loni. And apparently it's working!
It's probably most useful to point out really great movies that noone's heard of. I own on video and was just watching last night two really good-hearted serious comedies.

"Cold Fever" is an Icelandic english language movie. It's too unique to describe, but I really recommend it. A Japanese businessman who hates the cold is obligated to go to Iceland to perform a ritual where his parents had died in an accident at a remote river in Iceland. The movie is full of wonderfully eccentric characters.

"Truly, Madly, Deeply" is a british comedy ghost story. It's heartbreakingly romantic and also full of quirky characters.

Of course, we're just sending these impressions out to a wide array of people: anyone out there might hate these movies. You never know, but I think these are genuinely great movies.
Snatch! Now there's a great movie!
Definatley 'Truly, Madley, Deeply' Alan Rickman is great.

Also .......

'Pricilla Queen of the Desert' Lord Elrond has changed quite a bit!!! but it is a really good, funny film.

'Antone Fisher', 'Passed with Honors' oh the list is endless......

I LOVE FILMS In Love Smilie - bit not spooky ones Wary Smilie
actually Phantom of the opera is Quite good and i saw it 2 times!!
I watched Gladiator last night. I know just about everyone has seen it, but that is a great movie.
Very violent, but complemented by a very interesting plot.
Last week I again watched Gary Cooper in the 1952 Oscar winning best picture: High Noon. I really like that movie. Its about this western town's ex-Marshal who was leaving town on his wedding day, when word comes that the courts have let out of jail a bad guy, who along with three of his henchmen, is gunning for the ex-Marshal. The bad guy's train arrives in town at noon and none of the town's population are willing to help stand up to the bad guy.

The ex-Marshal can't turn tail and run, for they would catch up with him and his new wife, who is a Quaker and is dead set against her husband staying. A real perdicament, a good heroic quest, and the ending is scrumptious. Something about 'shaking the dirt off one's feet.'.
"High Noon," yeah. There are movies that are classics and are still kind of dated, but "High Noon" really keeps its punch.

It reminds me of another old western that I think is still a great movie to watch, "My Darling Clementine."
Quote:
I also saw Alien vs. Predator a while ago and i'm definitly getting it on DVD,

Got the DVD last week, it's great.

Has anyone seen 28 Days Later - good but scary - could it really happen !!!!!!!!!!!!Disturbed Smilie
I hadn't realized they had made a second Lara Croft/Tomb Raider movie until I watched it on cable the other night. It wasn't half-bad, compared to the first one, which was all bad.
I rather enjoyed it. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, too lazy to read the whole thread, but my dad just bought himself a DVD-player, and I bought the DVD of the Pianist. Great movie.
"Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" !!!
The scene where they beat the grim reaper at various board games is comedy gold!

np. skid row - sweet little sister
I'd seen "Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith", "Constantine" and "Kingdom of Heaven"... They're all good to great... (not necessarily in the order I've mentioned Wink Smilie)

Namarie!
I just saw the IMAX version of Batman Begins, and I thought it was great! Batman is such a great superhero. Love him!
One film I do NOT like is KILL BILL !!! ITS to much violence, and meaningless . DREADFULL Thumbs Down Smilie Thumbs Down Smilie Thumbs Down Smilie Thumbs Down Smilie
I didn't even look twice at Kill Bill. The cover wasn't very appealing to me. But I'd recommend a nice comedy called the Mighty Ducks. They're NOT the cartoon figures, but they are about this bunch of ragtag hockey players that end up with a lawyer as their coach. It's really funny. I like it.
I watched Fever Pitch this weekend and thought it was pretty good. I know it was based on a book by Nick Hornby that was about Arsenal, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was an English movie made based on this book as well? If so, could you please tell me the name? And if you know if it is any good? Thanks in advance!
Quote:
I know it was based on a book by Nick Hornby that was about Arsenal, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was an English movie made based on this book as well?

I guess it's not Bend it like Beckham ? That's the only British football fllick i can think of, although there's also a British football flick taking place in a WWII prisoner with Pelé, Van Himst, Beckenbauer, etc. playing a match against the German camp guards - needless to say that the flick kicked arse, but i forgot the title.

There's also The Cup, but that movie is bout the Scottish cup.
I just saw MIss Undercover 2 with my daugthers , they love it !! But I thougth it was a bit boring ....
The story was to thin... Thumbs Down Smilie Shaking Head Smilie
Hitchhikers guide movie was good but the best, funniest movie ever is Harlod and Maude....it has a soundtrack by Cat Stevens to.....
The movie that got me in stitches recently is Madagascar. Great film if you like animation movies and certainly if you have kids. Those pinguins are hilarious, not to mention the others.
  << [1] [2] [3]