Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Recommend a film/dvd

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Recommend a film/dvd   << [1] [2] [3] >>
Anything with Ernest in is always worth a watch, no really, I'm being serious, Jim Varney= comedy genius.

Other reccomendations today include, erm.... that movie I didn't quite see the name of the other day, and Lost Highway, okay, anything by Lynch then.
I watched 3 dvds this weekend - Harry potter and the Prisoner of Whatsit, Van Helsing and Chronicles of Riddick.

They are all fun if you like mindless, entertaining films. 'Faramir' was in Van Helsing playing a slightly comic role but I swear the whole film was meant to be a spoof and was, to me, tongue in cheek. There was a lot that didn't work as well..... definitely one to suspend disbelief (and belief in anything vampyric or Frankenstein related).

Eomer was in Chronicles of Riddick, minus his flowing helmet hair and horse. Again, an entertaining film if you can suspend belief and disbelief. I was a bit miffed that some of the potentially interesting history of the baddies was on the 'extra's bit so I spend a lot of the film saying "who?" "why?" "what?".

Harry Potter...... ah well... interesting. Everyone else I know who has seen it says it was terrible and took far too many liberties with the book. I haven't read the book for ages and thankfully had forgotten most of what happened so the film was quite enjoyable. It was a typical Harry Potter film, and entertaining if not interlectual. Minor disagreement with casting Emma Thompson as Prof Trewlarney (?sp) but Michael Gambon as Dumbledore was good. No Mr Malfoy though. Shame.

The interesting thing is this has given me an insight into how people view the LotR films when they haven't read the books.
RE: HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I thought it was fun and held together as a movie. Of course it wasn't the book verbatum, but movie ever is. I have read all the books and listen to Jim Dale read them on tape. I am looking forward to the next book.

One thing I worry about, if they next do the Goblet of Fire movie: they picked an actor to play Hermoine in the first movies who doesn't have prominent front teeth (buck teeth); she already looks pretty, so how are they going to cover her change for the Christmas Ball?
"2046" by Wong Kar Wai. Marvelous music - you even become a bit addicted to it. The movie is strange. The artists act also very good. And despite the fact that it was watched with subtitles, you understood everything without reading subtitles. There's a phrase: "once a man had an secret, he went to the mountains, found a tree with a hollow and started telling his secret to the hollow. As a result, the man cleared of that felling when you want to tell your secret , but you can't. And his secret now was kept by that tree." This movie is a love storie also... My advice is to come and watch it...
Saw a pretty decent comedy on HBO last night called Stuck On You with Matt Damon, and Greg Kinnear (not sure if I'm spelling the last name right, so sorry in advance just in case...). It was actually alot better than I thought it would be, and had some cool cameos from other famous actors too.

Anyway, I think it's definitely worth a look if your in the mood to laugh, and it's not just a Dumb & Dumber type of comedy, there is a serious message at the core of it all!
Elf Smilie
Sorry, I stick by my alltime favourite - The Scarlet Pimpernel. It's a two-parter. Just do me a favour. Do NOT read the book of the Scarlet Pimpernel. It's oen of the worst books ever written. BUT ANYWAY!!!!!!! Can I recommend a programme? PLEASE??? It's probably against the rules, but I'm desperate. It's finally come back on prime TV!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! HOGANS HEROES IS THE COOLEST SERIES IN THE WORLD!!!!!! My favourite character is Newkirk. He's soooooo cool. Anyone else watched it, or am I a lost soul?
I know someone mentioned it a few pages back but I just have to mention it again - HIDALGO! Just watched it - I was expecting a sort of gooey, mushey, Black Beauty/Sea Biscuit type film and boy, was I surprised! It was great! Viggo is a very good actor, outdone only by the horse. It had so much more than just a horse race - but what a race - 3,000 miles across arid dessert... locust, sandstorms, treachery, honour, friendships, death and near mutilation which I suspect has most men crossing their legs.

Get it! Watch it! Cry at the end.... I did.

Yes, he really is a viggorous actor. Harharhar.

When my duaghter came to stay recently she forced (yes, forced!) me to watch two dvds -

1. Along Came Polly - terrible film. Cliched, unfunny, embarrassing in a not funny way.... forget it.... don't bother..... don't waste your time.....

2. 50 First Dates - knowing my daughter's taste in abysmal films I was dreading another terrible film but this one was actually quite funny, touching and well done. A good and entertaining film.

I also watched Lost in Translation - I wish it had got lost. Another terrible film, with miserable people in a hotel in Tokyo doing nothing. I wondered what the point was.

However, to finish on a good note - Benny and Joon - yes, it's an oldish film (1993 I think) but what a great performance by Johnny Depp and very well worth watching. Excellent!
If you haven't already, go see Meet The Fockers!!! OMG this movie is soooo funny, way better than Meet The Parents (which was quite good too)! I laughed so hard I thought I was going to die!
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
If you haven't already, go see Meet The Fockers!!!

Is that the one with Ben Stiller, Drew Barrymore and a devilish old lady?
Vee -- Benny and Joon is fabulous! I would also recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape to all those Depp fans who have not seen it.

Okay, I have a TV series to recommend that my father made me watch over Christmas -- Horatio Hornblower (based on the books of C.S. Forester). A few of the series are better than the others, but it's still an excellent, swashbuckling adventure overall.
Quote:
Is that the one with Ben Stiller, Drew Barrymore and a devilish old lady?

Ben Stiller is in it, but not Drew Barrymore. Itís the sequel to Meet The Parents also starring, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, and Barbara Streisand among others. If you like to laugh, you will absolutely love this movie! It may not be in theaters outside the US right now though?
Elf Smilie
If no one recommended King Arthur (the new one), I'll recommend it right now! It's very different from the story I'm sure many of you know, but, hey, it's very good! Jumping Flame Smilie
Quote:
Vee -- Benny and Joon is fabulous! I would also recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape to all those Depp fans who have not seen it.

Thanks Eruwen, I've made a note.

What have I seen recently?

Troy - Hmmm.... (sorry Laurelindhewindheloo) not brilliant
I, Robot - Hmmmm.... not brilliant
Shrek 2 - Hmmmm.... not as good as the first
Bill Bailey - Part Troll - very funny (cert 18)
Ricky Gervais - Politics - not for the faint hearted. (cert 18)
Woobl (aka Weebl) and Bob - hehehehehehe!

I actually like Troy. I'm not even a Brad Pitt fan, but it's hard to deny that he looks pretty darn good in this one. I AM an Orlando fan though, and I didn't think he acted very well in this one. Sad Smilie Oh, and Helen...man, where did they dig her up? Talk about deadpan. I know, after all that said, yes, I still enjoyed it...didn't think it was brilliant, but enjoyed it.
I only saw the animated version of Troy : Troy Story.

I didn't really like the real Troy flick. It was fun to see the Pitt and the Pendubloom bite in the sand, but they didn't act that well.

And also some stupid alterations, like Achilles falling in love with his slave, etc. But that's because Pitt refuses to appear in any movie where he isn't the ladiesman - not to mention Orlando BlŲm.

I recently saw Alexander and that one reeked as well. I didn't know Alexander the Great looked like a bandmember from Wham!. And i expected a chronicle of his life, but almost all attention was given to his relationship with his mother and best friend. B-o-r-i-n-g.
Quote:
And also some stupid alterations, like Achilles falling in love with his slave, etc.
Well, I haven't seen the movie and its been forty years since I read the Illiad, but I seem to remember part of the emnity between Achilles and King Agamemnon was because a girl given to Agamemnon was to be ransomed by the gods and he demanded and took in return, the girl Briseis, who had been given to Achilles. This ticked Achilles off, and he withheld his ships and men from the battle. (He took his ball and went home in a brand new six horse powered Huff).

I don't remember if Achilles was ever in love with Briseis, or if it was just a matter of pride: his not liking to be lorded over by the king. But he may have become infatuated by Briseis prior to her being taken away, and in these times of instant gratification, love is an much easier sell to our populous, than mere greed. IMHO
But Troy did have a very nice choreography for its action scenes. Especially the one-on-one fight between Hector and Achilles (though that never happened according to Homer's Illiad). And Eric Bana's acting was awesome. I'd passed him off to have an equal amount of acting talent as Orlie Doom has but I did review my thoughts about it after watching Troy. And yes, the sets of Troy are commendable too.
Quote:
One thing I worry about, if they next do the Goblet of Fire movie: they picked an actor to play Hermoine in the first movies who doesn't have prominent front teeth (buck teeth); she already looks pretty, so how are they going to cover her change for the Christmas Ball?

I think Emma Watson needs a rest from the Hairy Potty movies. Why do the books sell? The movies are far off worse! Why does anyone go to see them? I share the same love for Hairy Potty as Virumor does for LOTR movies! (And no...I'm not "namecalling", my dear Vir!)
Quote:
Well, I haven't seen the movie and its been forty years since I read the Illiad, but I seem to remember part of the emnity between Achilles and King Agamemnon was because a girl given to Agamemnon was to be ransomed by the gods and he demanded and took in return, the girl Briseis, who had been given to Achilles. This ticked Achilles off, and he withheld his ships and men from the battle. (He took his ball and went home in a brand new six horse powered Huff).

From what I can remember, that sounds right to me, Grondy. The girl was just stoking the fire that was already burning between the two men.

Lord Aragorn -- I agree, the choreography is pretty great in the fight scenes. I actually like the opening fight where Achilles picks off the best soldiers of (hmmm....I can't recall the name of the country) in two seconds.
The Princess Bride and anything with Danny Kaye in it... older movies, I guess, but very good!!
Quote:
Especially the one-on-one fight between Hector and Achilles (though that never happened according to Homer's Illiad)

It did. Achilles killed Hector in a duel. In fact, Hector became so afraid in that duel that he fled from Achilles, but the latter was able to catch him after some laps around the city.

Quote:
I share the same love for Hairy Potty as Virumor does for LOTR movies! (And no...I'm not "namecalling", my dear Vir!)

No, now you're just comparing. Lucky you... ;-). For some strange reason i don't mind the Hairy Potty movies that much. I only see them as nice movies for children, and also enjoyable for adults. But only if you watch them on Christmas.
I would recommend "Cronicles of Riddick" but only after seeing "Pitch Black", you have to see "Pitch Black" first. But I love Vin Diesel no matter what he plays, good or bad guy, I think that he's a great actor.
I suggest The Last Samurai(Tom Cruise), Ocean's 11, Ocean's 12, Monte Python and the holy grail, LOTR trrilogy (of course), and The Alamo....its old news but it is still good.
Quote:
It did. Achilles killed Hector in a duel. In fact, Hector became so afraid in that duel that he fled from Achilles, but the latter was able to catch him after some laps around the city.

What I actually meant was that the scenario wasn't the same. Achilles didn't ride down to Troy's gate and called out Hector. It happened Mid-battle.

But hey, I was wondering during the movie if I would see Eric Bana and Brad Pitt doing some rounds of Cat-and-mouse. Sadly no. The director(whats his name? Wolfgang Peterson or something?) decided to give Hector an honourable death. But still would have been fun to watch them running three times around the city!

And Ajax looked liked Obelix straight out of the Asterix comics. Only he wasn't that fat! And how come he got bumped off so quickly? He was alive till the end I believe. I remember there was something of a fight between Odysseus and Ajax for Achilles' armour when he had died!
Quote:
He was alive till the end I believe. I remember there was something of a fight between Odysseus and Ajax for Achilles' armour when he had died!

I believe Ajax commits suicide after he slaughtered a bunch of sheep : some goddess (probably Aphrodite) made him insane for a while.

And yes, there was a duel between Odysseus and Ajax if i remember it correctly.
Still haven't seen Troy, so I can't comment on that Wink Smilie

My tips:
Dogma
Gladiator (cinematography of that movie is so amazing!)
Spiderman 1 and 2
The Matrix trilogy
Braveheart
Finding Neverland is great. I was sobbing near the end Sad Smilie.
I still like The Man Who Would Be King starring my two favorite spies: Jimmy Bond and Harry Palmer in the story Rudy Kipling wrote. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
The director's cut of Blade Runner (wide screen of course)! Absolutely brilliant!!! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Napoleon Dynamite! Very funny movie. Big Laugh Smilie
Oh yeah, that's a great one! Along the same lines and a couple of years older, I really liked American Splendor...it is based on an actual person (Harvey Pekar) and is at once very odd and very funny!

Also, I recommend the classic Animal House to any of our younger members who have never seen it...be warned:THIS MOVIE IS NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 OR FOR THE TIMID!!! It is the funniest college movie in the history of college movies...
I hope that college movie is better than "Dead Man on Campus". That one really sucked.

ive just seen three films in the last 3 says, of hugely varying degrees of quality, 1st was Troy, poor,poor, poor. great acting from almost everybody apart from Brad Pitt but the story line was changed to the point that puttin Troy on teh cover deserves a law suit and the cheesiness factor was off the chart.
Just seen Alexander they mostly stuck to the story which was good since the man was great enough without exageratting, think they put a bit too much emphasis on his sexuality and not enough emphasis on the bad sides of his nature, incredibly cruel when he wanted to be, drunkard and all that.
The Motorcycle Diaries amazin film, spanish with english subtitles is follows the young Ernesto "Che " Guevara as he travels across south america with his friend Alberto Granada on a beat up old motorbike and as he sees the poverty and corruption which will eventually lead himn on the path to revolution, well shot, screenplay is exceelent and the acting is superb. great film
Quote:
Napoleon Dynamite!

Iíve been hearing about this one from friends too, gonna have to check it out for myself pretty soon.
Elf Winking Smilie
Quote:
Iíve been hearing about this one from friends too, gonna have to check it out for myself pretty soon.

It's worth checking out! I think it is probably one of those moveis that not everyone will like, but if you like subtle humor you will enjoy it. Elf Smilie
I bought Heavenly creatures, Big Fish and the 3 El Mariachi movies today (El Mariachi, Desperado, Once upon a time in Mexico). Gotta love the Media Markt.
Napoleon Dynamite is great! He reminds me of my brother-in-law Smile Smilie
ah El Mariachi, coolest guy on this planet we call earth
Yups! I love those movies!
I know that everybody and thier dog has seen this at one time or another, but for those who havn' t seen it, I recomend Superman I. I saw it over the weekend and was pleasantly suprised. Of course I had seen it before, but as a child and did not appreciate the creative camera work and fine musial score. Also, conisdering the year it was made, the graphics were pretty good.
I noticed someone mentioned King Arthur....Adreia I believe it was. I loved it! It had so many bad reviews, but it was very realistic, and that's what I loved. It seemed like it actually happened. The actors were great too, especailly Keira Knightly (she wasn't too good in POTC). As for Troy, I also love that one, but Brad Pitt was horrible in it. He didn't even attempt an accent, while everyone around him had one. Did they purposely leave him without an accent to make the character stick out, who I hated beofre the movie anyway. They did the same in the book as in the movie, where they show the bad side of Achilles and the good side. I was surprised to see that Achilles's mother looked so old, but they didn't hint to those who haven't read the Illiad that she was a goddess. They held true to her identity though with her being in the sea when Achilles went to her. I thought that was clever without them using the gods directly in the movie. Am I making sense?
Someone should see "Frequency". Lovely movie. A thinking man's movie. The story is brilliantly narrated.
I saw this beyond brilliant film at the cinema by the name of COLD MOUNTAIN. I reccommend it to anyone who enjoys films of romance or conflict referring to historical events of the past. Happy Elf Smilie I have watched it several times and it never gets old, plus its a long film so if you plan to watch it make sure you have a good three hours spare !!! The basic storyline is about two young lovers in south america at the time of the civil war. As the soldier (named Inman) enlists in the army he has to leave his beloved Aida behind him, not knowing if he will ever see her again. The story is based around Inman trying to make his way back to Aida,,,though many obstacles lie in his path as on his journey he is confronted with more than his fair share of strange and unforgettable characters, preventing his progress and sometimes even bringing him close to death ! Got The Blues Smilie
Aida has troubles of her own as in Inman's absence she loses her father and is forced to look after the farm and church on her own, with next to nothing domestic skills.
When finally they find each other again, the end of the film brings another death into the tale, changing the lives of the characters forever. This is a brilliant film,,,also look out for a suprise appearence from Jack White (The White Stripes) who has only a small part but is is worth watching for !!! Tongue Smilie
Tari Idril Elensar **Elven**
I just saw Million Dollar Baby last night. It's a fantastic movie! Bring a box of tissue though.
Million dollar baby? Is that movie about the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, perchance?
Oi, guys, whatever Milllion Dollar Baby is, I have just seen a movie that is SOOO good I couldn't read my TLOTR because I was thinking about it for three weeks straight!!!! I've just seen it for the THIRD time at the movies. That's almost thirty dollars (ten pounds) of movie ticket money. I was desperate. The phantom of the opera. Oh, it made me cry. Well, the first time I saw it, I was like *shocked stiff* and the bus driver noticed. Like in the scene on the roof with Raoul and Christine and the poor Phantom looking on, the first time I saw it I was scared that the phantom would jump out and run Raoul through, but the second time I was just feeling sorry for him. I have spenbt weeks trying to decide who deserves Christine more, and I have finally decided that Raoul does. But that doesn't stop me feeling sorry for the Phantom!!! I've been humming all day "Why, you ask, was I bound and chained and left in this horrid place? Not for any mortal sin but the wickedness of my abhorrant face! Hounded out by everyone, met with hatred everywhere, no kind words from anyone, no compassion anywhere.... This face, which earned a mother's fear and loathing... A mask, my first unfeeling scrap of clothing... Pity comes too late! Turn around and face your fate!!! And eternity of THIS (points at unmasked face) before your eyes!!!!!!!" And the bit when he was smashing the mirrors!!! That was sad. First I saw the movie alone. Then I saw it with my mate, Nicole. She pretended she didn't htink it was sad. She told me to shush, it WASN'T that sad. Then, just before she got picked up she finally said "alright!! I admit it!!! It WAS sad!!! And I really loved it and I really really want to see it again!!!!" But whenever anyone's around, she's in denial she ever saw it. This latest time, yesterday, I saw it with my mate EMma. She wasn't even pretending. I said "Was that not the SADDEST film you've EVER seen?" And she was like "no. Seen much sadder. It was a bit sad, but not really." And she just carried on texting. THE WEIRDO!!!! How COULD you not be SAD? But guess what!! I've got the sheet music to most of the songs!!! Out of the library!!! And I'm going to get the doulbe CD. Just when I was sitting in my armchair thinking "Oh, I WISH I could get the soundtrack, but it's not in any shops I know, and I don't even know a good CD shop that might be able to order it!!!" And then, on TV, the ad came on!! It was muted, but I told Mum to watch, and PLEASE can I get that for my birthday. Mum was like "What is it?" "The motion picture soundtrack." "Of what?" Man, she's thick. What else could it be? She's the one who said she knew ALL about it. And then, when I came home "So, just to make it clear for me... did they find out the phantom wrote the opera?" Yeah. She SOOO knows lots about it. She wrote it on the list. But of course, that means nothing. She's got loads of things on the list. I'll have to hassle her about it. And I think I'll get some money out the bank and buy a CD walkman. Then I can listen to it at school. And at home, no one will be able to hear it but me. Everyone LOOKS at me already when I so much as open the sheet music book, let alone play it. They look at me like "You're obssessed, and you';re a weirdo" And the teacher just told us to log off. Man, this is a long post!!
Quote:
Million dollar baby? Is that movie about the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, perchance?

No, silly. Smile Smilie It's a new Clint Eastwood movie about a girl boxer. It's soooo good!
Girl boxer, eh? Guess that happens when chicks can't pay for a facelift!
  << [1] [2] [3] >>