Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Hi am am new 2!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Hi am am new 2!   [1] [2] >>
Dear all,

I just signed up this morning. I came across this board when a friend of mine suggested me to participate in the Contest note by Valedhelgwath (posted on the 28th of September). Which I am considering to do. Hi all! My name is Rhapsody, Tolkien fan, and I love to write tales about Dunedain Rangers and Gondorian knights. I enjoy spinning tales, either as in a story or in rpg. English is not my native language, so sometimes you might come across strange sentences. I will go now and explore this site further, but I thought it would be polite to introduce myself first! Waving Hello Smilie

Rhapsody
Welcome Rhapsody to Planet Tolkien. I am sort of a newbie myself and so I wish you well. You will find this site very informative and friendly. I look forward to reading some of your writings, although you will not see me in the rpg forums (haven't figured them out yet). Again, welcome Rhapsody to PT!
Oh pfew, thanks for saying that Terrijayne!!! I feel less worse now. Smile Smilie We newbies have to help each other don't you think? I have been wondering about that as well! I just found the FAQ, but if there is any board member or council member for that matter who can shed a light on it.. Let us know.

Yes, I like this site a lot! Very user friendly and with tons of information! I think I will feel quite at home here! Do you mind if I add you to my buddy list?
Hey, welcome Rhaps, (umm, I hope you don't mind that, but I'm terribly lazy). I believe we've met in the chatroom already. Still, welcome once again!!
Welcome to PT, Rhapsody! Big Smile Smilie
Amarie the Council Member here. Waving Hello Smilie
The RPGs aren't so hard, just make up a character you want to be and have him/her pop up along the way, and introduce yourself. Just look at what others have done before you. You'll be welcomed with open arms. Smile Smilie

Your English looks great to me. There are a lot of people from all over the world here who have English as a second (or third) language, including me, so don't worry too much about odd sentences. I make quite a few of them myself. Wink Smilie

Don't be afraid to ask if there is anything you want to know. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Hey, welcome Rhaps, (umm, I hope you don't mind that, but I'm terribly lazy). I believe we've met in the chatroom already. Still, welcome once again!!

Hi Floyd Wink Smilie <-- see I am lazy as well! Yes the chat is great! I already met you and Milambar. And thanks to Milambar, I guess, I know how to add stories. Post it to the council members right? *eyes Amarië*

Maybe that can be included in the FAQ as well??? Yes I read the FAQ!
Quote:
Post it to the council members right?

Bingo!
Quote:
Maybe that can be included in the FAQ as well???

Well the FAQ only answers the most frequently asked questions by (new) members. For more information you have to go to the Help file (Under 'your account' in the left hand menu.)

When it comes to posting stories, the competiton is temporary, but the FanWriting section and the Writers Guild is always open. I think it is mentioned in the Help file (which is mentioned in FAQ), under Fan Writings... Oh yes it is.Very helpful! Go there now!

And here is a nice thread you might wanna take a look at: Reading Group Revisited Smile Smilie
Welcome Rhapsody Waving Hello Smilie
I am so glad that you have found our little community and I do hope that I get a chance to meet you in the chatroom, as well. Big Smile Smilie
I look forward to reading your fan fiction and your additions to the RPGs, although I don't take part in them because I can barely write a thank-you note. You will find we have many talented writers of prose and poetry at PT, so you will be right at home.
In Fellowship,
Rednell (another Council Member)
Quote:
Rednell wrote: I am so glad that you have found our little community and I do hope that I get a chance to meet you in the chatroom, as well

Hi Rednell!,

as for RPG, I am not sure if I will jump in straight ahead, since I am involved with at least 3 other online groups already. I will just look around, read a lot for a while. Yes I will most definetly enter the competition, I have a story in my mind forming as we speak. So let me get this straight: for the competition you e-mail the council. And just to post a story I can go to the writers guild and post a story there.. Right?
Hi Rhapsody! And hi in chat as well!

Don't post the story for the competition in the Writer's Guild. Other than that go ahead....... I don't think the reading group is up and running just yet.

Vee - another Council member
Quote:
So let me get this straight: for the competition you e-mail the council. And just to post a story I can go to the writers guild and post a story there.. Right?

Hi Rhapsody, I seem to be chasing you around the site at the moment welcoming you here and there.

Yes, for the writing competition you need to send entries direct to the Council. Other stories can be posted directly in the Writer's Guild or as Journal entries. Should you wish to have a story placed in the Fan Fiction section, however, it must first pass the approval of a panel of judges whose job it is to maintain the standard of stories we have in that section. We also have the Reading Group, which I see you discovered earlier. In that one, we hope to circulate our stories among the group and receive comments back from the other readers.

The RPG threads are similar to ongoing stories, in which you play the part of a character of your choice and contribute as part of a group to the continuation of the story/adventure.

Whatever your preference, I hope you find something that pleases you here. I look forward to seeing you around the site.

I'm a Council Member, too, by the way if you hadn't already guessed.
Darn! Competition! (I'm entering the writing competition too, if I can finish the story in time). Oh well. Good luck, and may the best dwarf win!
Quote:
Valedhelgwath wrote:
I seem to be chasing you around the site at the moment welcoming you here and there.

Sorry about that. I am trying to stick at one place now.

Quote:

Should you wish to have a story placed in the Fan Fiction section, however, it must first pass the approval of a panel of judges whose job it is to maintain the standard of stories we have in that section.

And if I have a story for that who do I have to contact? Are their certain standards that are known?

Quote:

Whatever your preference, I hope you find something that pleases you here. I look forward to seeing you around the site.

So far I like it here a lot. Nice and friendly people.

Quote:
I'm a Council Member, too, by the way if you hadn't already guessed.

I already checked the section The council so yep, I already guessed that!

Thanks for the warm welcome people!!
Hi Rhapsody, glad to have you in our fellowship. Happy Elf Smilie English is my native language and I have trouble stringing more than a couple paragraphs together, but sometimes try to pull a leg or by writing a sentence or three. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie I'm also a council member.

Anyway , welcome aboard.
Quote:
Quote:

Should you wish to have a story placed in the Fan Fiction section, however, it must first pass the approval of a panel of judges whose job it is to maintain the standard of stories we have in that section.

And if I have a story for that who do I have to contact? Are their certain standards that are known?

In the past, all submissions used to be sent to Allyssa who ran the Writer's Guild. She then selected a panel of three from a group of volunteer readers, who between them would decide if the submission was of sufficient quality and appropriate to be included in the fan fiction section. As Allyssa cannot get in as often now days, I am temporarily keeping things ticking over until she returns. If you do have a story you would like to see in the fan fiction section, please send it to me at, ron.jessop@btopenworld.com

The standards we work to are....
1) There must be a link to Tolkien's works
2) Submissions must conform to our Family Friendly rules (ie. no swearing, sexual content etc)
3) Must be written in English
4) Must be of a good grammatical standard
5) The stories content should be of a high standard too.
6) As of yet we have not placed an upper limit on the length of stories, but as a rule of thumb, I'd suggest no more than 15,000 words. Longer submissions should perhaps be broken down into shorter chapters.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
Welcome Rhapsody! Nice to have you here with us! Hope you've been enjoying your time at PT so far!
Happy Elf Smilie
Can you submit a story in volumes? You see, I now realise tat the story I am/was trying to tackle for the Writing Competition is not going to be finished in time. It's waaaaaaaaaaay too long, or going to be. So can I submit it to Fan Fiction in volumes as I finish them? (Assuming it's accepted) And may I also be so nosy as to ask who is on the judging panel?
Quote:
You see, I now realise tat the story I am/was trying to tackle for the Writing Competition is not going to be finished in time. It's waaaaaaaaaaay too long, or going to be.

Loni! You will enter the competition right??? I am not sure who else will enter, but so far it seems so lonely Wink Smilie Currently I am at around 2600 words and far from finishing it. Getting there if other stories don't pop up like bunnies. But I will make it before the deadline within the amount of words.

Quote:
So can I submit it to Fan Fiction in volumes as I finish them? (Assuming it's accepted) And may I also be so nosy as to ask who is on the judging panel?

I am curious about the volumes question as well. But maybe we should ask this in the Writers Guild and not here.
Oh, I really would like to enter the competition. But so far it's four thousand words. And I'm hardly started!!!!! But rest assured, i shall post it in volumes in the journal entries, and submit it to Fan Fiction too. Hopefully in volumes. It's going to be reaaaaaaaaaaally long. Pages and pages and pages. And so it will not be finished in time for the deadline either!!!!! And I have no time to start a shorter topic. I take at least a week thinking about it to actually start it. That's the hardest part for me. And I have to finish it by the end of Week Eight (NZ school time) and it's Week Three tomorrow!!!! And it's exams all week in Week Three!!!!1 I can only write my story on Sunday, because Saturday and all the other days are homework. And I have to learn my lines for Drama. WAAAAA!!!!! Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
Chathol-linn had a story accepted in the fan writing section that was in three parts. As to who the Panel of judges is.... Allyssa used to rotate through a group. I don't know the full list she used to draw judges from, but Myself, Grondy and Rednell were among them. I think the others generally came from members of the old Reading Group.
Just a bit of advise, Loni, you may want to spend a weekend just editing your story before it gets any longer. If it gets to long you will have trouble bringing it all together in the end. I know this from personal experiance, one of my stories had reached 20,000 words before I began to edit and by then it was an awful mess!

Good luck!
I used to have similar problems myself, Stoney. I used to just keep going until the story ran out. Staying within a framework is quite a challenge at times, but if you just let the pen flow, you can often just leave the reader behind. The skill is being able to write strong endings that tie up all the loose ends, maybe have a bit of a twist, and leave the reader begging for more.
These last few posts really ought to have been made in the Writer's Guild, but as this is a Tavern, I'm not going to move them; though they will assuredly become lost now they are hiding in an I'm New Thread. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Hello to all

I am Marigold Boggy-Hillocks and I have just joined the rest of you in Middle Earth... I live in Hobbiton and find it to my liking.... I am not sure what we do other that talk in forums on here so I am learning ... I can say that I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan though so I look forward to meeting everyone here I can ... especially other Hobbits!

Marigold
hey new people! i'm fairly new too!
Highdy-ho Marigoldboggy-hillocks, welcome to P-T. Happy Elf Smilie

In the forum are discussions about the works of Tolkien: his characters, languages, places, and about the movies. We have a writers Guild. There are also games both word and role playing. In the menu on your left you will find our art gallery and our fan fiction sections. We also have a chat room and you can write your own journal and read the entries of others. You can also send private messages to other members.

But most importantly, here you can share your love of all-things-Tolkien by asking and answering questions in a safe and friendly manner with a group of like-minded people: even if some of we others are Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Wiggle Smilie
Greetings and Salutations! Just thought I would drop in and say, "Hello!" to everyone. This is my first post. I have been wandering around the site, trying to figure it out. Hopefully, when I get used to it, I will be making postings galore.

I am doing my Master's thesis on LOTR, and I thought this site would be very helpful in guiding and contributing to some of my thoughts.

I hope to meet you all soon in other forums.
Eruwen

**bows very deeply**
Hello, Eruwen! We are honored to have such an esteemed new member. Enjoy yourself very much here. Smile Smilie

Also, greetings Marigoldboggy-hillocks! Fantastic name! Smile Smilie I'll "see" you around PT!
Well met Marigoldboggy-hillocks & Eruwen!

I hope to see you around in one of the threads or in the chat Wink Smilie
Welcome, welcome!

Wander through the threads and enjoy.
Howdy Eruwen, Welcome to P-T. Happy Elf Smilie I hope we don't dissapoint you.
Hiya Eruwen! Welcome to PT and enjoy urself. Elf Winking Smilie cya round! Big Smile Smilie
I feel so welcome. Thank you. I doubt I will be disappointed. I'm already so fond of all my fellow Tolkien-addicts.
Speaking of which...I hope I don't disappoint all of you! Yikes! I'm really just learning too, trying to soak up everything. I would love to join the classes one day soon.
so i'm not the newest member anymore!!! it feels good to move up in seniority, not that i have any or anything Smile Smilie

Welcome Eruwen you seem like a cool person, and i'm sure we'll chat sometime soon. If you want to test our Middle Earth knowledge, check out this link

History of Middle Earth Brainteaser

i just finished answer all the question, i believe you're allowed to look up the answers in the book and stuff, because there is no way i can remember all that!
Thanks for the tip, Túrin. I'll take a look when I get the chance. Smile Smilie
Quote:
i just finished answer all the question, i believe you're allowed to look up the answers in the book and stuff, because there is no way i can remember all that!
Yes,they are all open book and there are more than one quiz in that thread; some are long and some are easy.

If anyone wants to help make another quiz, get in touch with Vee. I recently sent her a batch of questions from The Hobbit and she will be needing questions from the other non-H.O.M.E. books, but make arrangements with her before you send them to her. Oh yeah, one downer: if help make the quiz, you will not be eligible to take it.
Why aren't there quizzes on PT? At least, I haven't seen them on new PT. On old PT, there were loads. Not on threads, I mean on the Main Menu. And perhaps we could win pieces of Mithril with them, if we get lots right?

And Eruwen, I notice that your name means God-lady. Does that mean you're a goddess, like Vee? I don't know how many we can have around here. But I'm sure Vee will readily share the platform with you.
Welcome Rhap ;D
Hi Loni,

I think technically my name means God-lady (or maiden), but it also means "He that is alone;" so, I've adapted it so that it means "She that is alone" or perhaps a maiden that wanders and stands alone. I know, it's perhaps stretching it a bit, but oh well. Smile Smilie But now thyat you mention it...I guess being a goddess wouldn't be so bad.
Quote:
Does that mean you're a goddess, like Vee? I don't know how many we can have around here. But I'm sure Vee will readily share the platform with you.

Excuse me Loni - this word you mention - 'share'? Sorry, no understanding of it at all.

Quote:
If anyone wants to help make another quiz, get in touch with Vee. I recently sent her a batch of questions from The Hobbit and she will be needing questions from the other non-H.O.M.E. books, but make arrangements with her before you send them to her. Oh yeah, one downer: if help make the quiz, you will not be eligible to take it.

Ye-eeeeees...... not sure how to go about this... what sort of quiz....... I would like to incorporate something different but I don't know what.

Bear with me.

Quote:
Excuse me Loni - this word you mention - 'share'? Sorry, no understanding of it at all

There you go, that's Vee for you. (If you leave it alone, the beast won't hurt you)
Well, I suppose my name could also mean "Lady of God." (Are two goddesses in the kitchen a bit too much? Sometimes it's nice to heat things up a bit though Winking Smilie .)
Aaah, but to be 'Lady OF God' you would have to add the appropriate suffix (-o) to Eru. It would then be Eruowen. (Is that a valid word? I wonder what happens to the suffix when it's added to the u? I haven't got to that Ardlamabion lesson yet. Perhaps Erowen?)

(But don't worry, although Vee THINKs she's goddess, we just humour her. It's time for some new blood, anyway.... Did VEe hear me?)
Vee, I smell a challenge...visit your terrific wrath onto her untrusting soul! But go easy on her...after all, she's just a dwarf(tehe). Only kidding, Loni! Waving Hello Smilie

Eruwen, that is a fabulous avatar. Where did you get it, out of curiousity?
KHAZAD!!!! KHAZAD-AI-MENU!!! ONLY A DWARF?????

Well, it looks like Vee didn't hear me, so it's alright.
Quote:
Eruwen, that is a fabulous avatar. Where did you get it, out of curiousity?
Reminds me of one of the Queen Elizabeth II inauguration pictures—Oops that's for presidents, make it "coronation pictures". Happy Elf Smilie
I should think so. GO THE MONARCHS!!!!!! I myself prefer royals over presidents. Woops, am I being political? Sorry. I agree it's a cool avatar. And I've found out what the proper word for 'lady of God' is in Elvish. 'Tis Eruiowen. . And it seems Vee HAS decided to share the platform with you after all. Speak now, or forever hold your peace. Three. Two One. THere!!! She doesn't.
Hey now...I don't want to cause any trouble with Vee Smile Smilie. I am a newcomer afterall.

Thanks for the tip Loni regarding my name. I've tried to change my name, so hopefully it will appear correctly in this post. The one thing I would like to do is learn at least one of the forms of elvish. Any help in this respect is greatly appreciated.

I got the avatar from Epilogue.net. The artist's name is Kelly Kruse. Here is a link to her site -- I hope this works -- Kelly Kruse Fantasy Art I think there is a quality to this picture...between innocence and toughness that I love.
  [1] [2] >>