Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Yo! New person here

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Yo! New person here   
I sceen a lot of new people posts in this inn, so i thought i'd drop one too. I love Tolkien's work and find it hard to have a decent conversation about it with my friends, or anybody else for that matter, because of their lack of knowledge towards middle earth. I can already see that won't be the case on these forums because most people here seem to know fair bit.

The First Age is my favourite because of the glory, heorics and the tragedy that follows.
Well, then you'll fit in just fine. It's so good we're getting all these new members all of a sudden!!!!
WElcome to PT, all newbies!!! Have fun.
Well met Túrin turambar!

I hope you like it here as much as I do! Smile Smilie The first age indeed has many great stories. I gather you liked the tale of Túrin Turambar a lot! My favorite character in there is Beleg Cúthalion.
Welcome to this sanctuary of Tolkien, Turin Tarambar! I hope that you shall join many discussions and make friends here, everyone else does! So, enjoy yourself, fellow lover of Tolkien (that sounds wrong...), and have fun!! I guess that I just want to say:

WELCOME TO PT, TURIN!

Hey there Turin, well met and welcome to Planet Tolkien!
Welcome on board, Turin. Have a great time here.
Welcome to PT, Turin. Am I correct in assuming that you were once known as Makaveli earlier this week? If so, I am glad that everything is as you wanted it. Big Smile Smilie
Enjoy your visits with us. I look forward to reading your insights into Middle Earth.
haha you guessed correctly Rednell! Thx for the warm welcome people, and i'm looking forward to interacting with you guys more. Ya i really enjoyed the lay Narn I Hîn Húrin (The Tale of the Children of Húrin) As you probably guessed already Túrin Turambar is my favourite character from that tale. I might even go as far as saying he may even be my most liked Edain, it's kinda hard to choose from though, so lets just leave him as one of my favourite characters from all of Tolkien's work.

Canada <--- Represent! ....had to add that to let you know where i'm from Wink Smilie
Howdy Túrin turambar, a warm welcome to P-T. Drop into Gimli's Khazad-dumish Inn if you've a mind to it. Happy Elf Smilie

Rednell also hales from the Great White North, New Brunswick if I remember rightly.
thx i'll take you up on that offer soon! I'm from British Columbia to help narrow it down... after all Canada is the 2nd biggest Country in the world.
Winking Smilie Hello, "again", Turin. Why the double identity? You're not some kind of Super-villian, are you? Only joking. Well, I said it once and I'll say it again-

Welcome, Turin!!!!!!!! Big Smile Smilie Smoke Smilie Cool Smilie Wink Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Duck Smilie Dunce Smilie Pumpkin Smilie Winking Smilie Kiss Smilie In Love Smilie Police Smilie Very Evil Smilie Elf Winking Smilie Read Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie I Jumping Flame Smilie Orc Smiling Smilie I Love You Smilie Juggling Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Alcoholic Smilie Elk Grinning Smilie Na-na-na-na-na Smilie Chicken Smilie Wiggle Smilie

That is the grandest I can manage at the present. You get the idea.
thank you Laurelindhe ilmarin, your greetings are spectacular! what can i call you for short, cuz that's a big name for me to type Wink Smilie

I didn't quite understand what you mean by "double identity." If it's because you are wondering why i have Turambar at the end of my name it's because there is a character in the Silmarillion named Túrin son of Húrin. Later on he becomes known under many different names, and Turambar is one of them.
Nah, she talks about your old username Makaveli. But that username doesn't exist anymore, so don't worry about that. Wink Smilie
Welcome to PT Túrin!

Amarië
Council Member
Smile Smilie
Amarie's correct. I meant nothing by the reference to your former nic and from henceforth you shall be only as Turin Turambar, of the house of Hador, fine men of the Edain, a.k.a. Adanedhel, or The Wronged, or Mormegil, etc. and so forth, the meaning of his name "he who desires mastery", he who did great service to Nargothrond and Doriath with the slaying of Glaurung, and most feared of men to the servants of Morgoth.

The welcome still stands, though. Wink Smilie
And if it is easiest, you may call me L. Or "Hey you" will do nicely.
Welcome Túrin turambar!

Vee - another Council Member
sup Vee!

Hey you! i can answer your original question now... I like the name Makaveli, it sounds sweet, and it is the name of my favorite music artist... aka Tupac Shakur. I'm impressed by your knowledge behind Túrun. Wink Smilie
Quote:
I'm impressed by your knowledge behind Túrun.
Most of us here have read both The Silmarillian and Unfinished Tales so your story is quite well known. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
I don't have the biggest collection but i'll list of the ones i have.

LOTR (trilogy) <--clearly
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Book of Lost Tales Part 1
The Book of Lost Tales Part 2

Please forgive me for not having The Hobbit, i know i need to add it to my collection. I'll get around to it one day, honest, i swear!
HOWCOULDYOU!!!! My goal is not getting the Hobbit, but getting the original edition. . I wonder.... a secondhand book shop maybe? I'm also getting guess what for Christmas. The following:

Tree and LEaf (With Mythopoeia and the Homecoming of Beorthnoth)
The Father Christmas Letters
Roverandom
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo

All written by Tolkien, as you would know. And all being shipped from the UK, because they don't have copies in New Zealand. I can't think why roverandom isn't listed in those little lists of his works in all the books. My brotehr's got a copy, but he won't let me borrow it!!!! It's not like he reads it. He just looks at the pictures every time I mention it. It's the coolest story, with the greatest pictures. My tolkien collection consists of the usual: TLOTR, SIlmarillion, Unfinished Tales.... And TALES OF THE PERILOUS REALM!!!! My second latest acquirement. It has Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Smith of wootton Major, and Leaf by Niggle. and my latest installment is... wait for it.... $75 to ship it from the UK..... AN INTRODUCTION TO ELVISH, PROPER NAMES AND WRITING SYSTEMS OF THE THIRD OF THE WESTERN LANDS OF MIDDLE EARTH AS SET FORTH IN THE PUBLISHED WORKS OF PROFESSOR JOHN RONALD REUEL TOLKIEN!!!! Man, they really should shorten the title. It's real cool. I like it.

Quote:
I didn't quite understand what you mean by "double identity." If it's because you are wondering why i have Turambar at the end of my name it's because there is a character in the Silmarillion named Túrin son of Húrin. Later on he becomes known under many different names, and Turambar is one of them.

Turambar, Master of DOOM!!!!!!!!!! I love reading that bit. DOOM!!!!!! DOOM!!!!!! That's such a cool part. But you probably don't get kicks out of that part fo the SIlmarillion. Those few words. But I get all hyped up over these things. Maybe it's becuase I just have 50c worth of lollies....... And they're sugarcoated......
Welcome to PT!
Quote:
My goal is not getting the Hobbit, but getting the original edition.

What's the original?
I think she means the 1937 original edition of The Hobbit. This original edition may be worth more monetarily, but it is error filled and its Chapter V doesn't make for as smooth a tie-in to the LotR as the revised edition does. See FOTR re-read for a discussion of this and other discrepancies, both factual and imaginary.
The original edition!!!! i really wnat to see Gollum being all polite and nice. Yes, I've read that ibt before, but I can hardly remember. It was a long time ago. LAst year. alright, I have a varying memory. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it's almost impossible to get a copy. Seeing as it's not in print!!!
The original edition is nice. It is the true Hobbit, the true children's tale, before JRRT had to change it to include it in the LOTR storyline. Pity he did, really. Why not change LOTR instead. Make Gollum a nice, old, misunderstood fellow instead of an evil knievel. *sigh* I like to think of Gollum as a sort of E.T. Pity he had to become so dreaded and evil.

It would've been nicer if Gollum became good again, Sam becoming jealous of this, and therefore beating and abusing Gollum all the time (hey just like in the movies), and in the end Sam being punished by Eru for his misbehaving by falling into the fiery abyss with the Ring. In the end, two hobbits make it to the field of Cormallen : Frodo and Smeagol.

Yes, that would've been so much nicer.
Awww, Virumor,
Your version brings tears to my eyes. Very Sad Smilie
NOOO!!!!! But then Sam would be all wabbed. And SAM IS COOL!!!! And what about Rosie? Poor Rosie. That's mean. Of course, you could get rid of Rosie. But Sam is real cool. And after all he had done. and he isn't the sort to BEAT. And after saving Frodo from Shelob!!!! And remaining loyal from beginning to end, when he could've left Frodo so many times.
Howdy! any new peoples who happen to read this. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie (The previous discussion would have been better held under one of the Books or the Tolkien Discussion threads.)
don't ask me how it got in my thread Smile Smilie
Welcome to PT!
The Taverns are open to any discussions as long as they stay within our rules, but it is better when the threads each contain a single subject, though that is hard to maintain and is usually ignored if the discussion is interesting. Sometimes a council member will cut and paste it to a thread of its own, if we find time.