Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Your garden

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Prancing Pony > Your garden   
If you have a garden or you would like to own one would you like to have plants from MD in there and what would they be?

If i had a garden i would want a ent in there Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Well, kind of cheating, since we have it too, but rosemary is a requirement for any garden I ever have, have had, or will have. I'd also like some ethelas (I know it's a weed in ME, but it smells so pretty...) and some flowers, probably Eleanor for a start. A sapling from Lothlorien would make a very pretty central point for the garden (I like radial patterns).
Hey that reminded me i would like some mallorns too.
Some mallorn-trees will always come in handy if one wants to start production of bows.
A garden full of the grotesque flowers from the Morgul Vale would be nice. I wonder whether they'd change any incoming thirsty bees, butterflies and fairies into hideous abominations.

It'd be interesting to see.
Huh there are flowers in there?
I'd build an underground garden below my house with flowers (rock of course) from moria, erebor, blue mountains, glittering caves, a piece of the paths of minas tirith, a piece of amon din, a piece of henneth annun, etc...

And also for decorative purposes i would add a balrog.

It would make a very interesting garde. And vir if you get the morgul flowers invite me.
Quote:
Huh there are flowers in there?

Quote:
.....and everywhere great writhing, tangled brambles sprawled. Some had long stabbing thorns, some hooked barbs that rent like knives. The sullen shrivelled leaves of a past year hung on them, grating and rattling in the sad airs, but their maggot-ridden buds were only just opening. - from 'The Land of Shadow' in RotK.
Quote:
.....and everywhere great writhing, tangled brambles sprawled. Some had long stabbing thorns, some hooked barbs that rent like knives. The sullen shrivelled leaves of a past year hung on them, grating and rattling in the sad airs, but their maggot-ridden buds were only just opening. - from 'The Land of Shadow'

So there is "flowers" in this garden; flowers the "Sauron way".
Every gentle and beautiful t hing that grew wild and tame in Imladeris, Lothlorien and at the Grey Havens would be something I should like to have in my garden. And I would send some faeries that cannot be corrupted or h armed in any way to Vir's garden and they would sprinkle anti grouch soil all over the place and give him a kiss on his dear head when he didn't know it.
some of those big and nasty thorn bushes that Frodo and Sam hikes through before entering Mordor would make a lovely fence.
Quote:
ome of those big and nasty thorn bushes that Frodo and Sam hikes through before entering Mordor would make a lovely fence.

Well it would keep the deer out, but I'm not sure it keep the raccoons out and I'm completely sure it wouldn't keep the rabbits out.

"Oh no! No matter what you do Brer Bear," said Brer Rabbit, "please don't throw me into that there nasty ol' thorn bush." - this is a paraphrase as I didn't want to spend time looking up the Uncle Remus text.
i would have pools full of warriors long dead adorning my garden Big Smile Smilie
i read brer rabbit grondy so i get your point.Elk Grinning Smilie

And turion are you thinking of turning your garden into a water one with special effects. i wanna see that.Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
i would have pools full of warriors long dead adorning my garden
Would it still be a garden, or are you making another scary theme-park?
i live in a pub, so i think that would be a cool addition!!!

i can use the customers to fill my pond

woooo

Big Smile Smilie
How 'bout some of the Gaffer's root crops like taters, turnips and carrots? Elanor flowers, athelas and I wouldn't mind sampling some Old Toby pipeweed. Some grapevines for producing Old Winyards. I too would like a mallorn tree as a center-piece. I'd like to invite the Ent-wives to plant whatever they would like; I'm sure it would be good as they love cultivated gardens.
Hehehe!!!
Nice one turion Big Smile Smilie
Pools full of drunken people hastily dressed as warriors Ha Ha Ha Smilie
hehe, saying that, our garden is a LITTLE like the dead marshes, what with all the people colapsing in our garden in a pool of their own sick!

haha, so wrong!!!

xx
I'd have some great mallorn trees with a seedling of Nimloth in the middle. The ground should be covered with lush green grass and symbelmyne. A little waterfall would not go amiss, either. I'd like to have the healing waters of Nimrodel flowing in my garden. Yes, and if I really wanted to be luxurious, I'd also include a great treehouse in the mallorns, complete with winding stairs and platforms.
Sounds good Cloveress, I'd add a couple urns of Entwater to keep things green.
You know, why stop at that? I should hire an Ent to be my gardener.
No, you would want an Entwife for that, but could hire her husband Ent as your arborist. Happy Elf Smilie
Wow, Cloveress! I want to come and live in your garden. I've always loved treehouses and wading in streams.
Great idea, Grondy! Though I'm not sure the Ent would have much to do, what with genetic engineering and all that. My trees are gonna look mighty fine!

And you are welcome to come, Halbard! Just make sure you don't carry axes or fire with you. My employees don't really like them.
Oooooh, maybe the Mirror of Galadriel would do good, see the past, to see how beautiful your garden was, the present, to see how beautiful your garden is and lastly, the future, to see how beautiful your garden is going to be......... Maybe on the bank at the foot of the waterfall......... how about that eh??? Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Wouldnt that take all the fun of growing things away?
I think Virumor was referring to:
Quote:
Wide flats lay on either bank, shadowy meads filled with pale white flowers. Luminous these were too, beautiful and yet horrible of shape, like the demented forms in an uneasy dream; and they gave forth a faint sickening charnel-smell; an odour of rottenness filled the air.
Yuck!!! Exploding Head Smilie
agreed Grondy, that was a definite garden killer.
I should like to add moondust and elven singing, sort of faint in the background to an hour in the evenings in my garden. Oh and a tree that somehow just happens to be growing exactly what I want to eat at that moment. Oh and drink. A glorious milkshake tree, that's the ticket. And a lasagna tree straight from across the sea, and a lovely Greek salad tree. I should never want to leave my garden I think. And what is this then? Can life get any better? A Tolkien Tree just bursting with first editions of ......well everything. How sublime.
The Mirror would be nice to have, Loss, but it reminds me of the Mirror-mirror-on-the-wall... What if it turns treacherous? What if it shows me images I don't want to see? I'm quite frail inside, actually...

And I've decided that hibiscuses are wonderful flowers to have. They bloom in so many colours and look so good against the usual green.
I'd have to start with good topsoil as I don't have much of that. And any type of tree would be welcome but I am partial to oaks. In my mind I can see my house swathed in trees and bushes.. Hibiscus are nice, Clover, and butterfly bush and lilacs and the things that get big pompoms on them..
Quote:
....and the things that get big pompoms on them.
Those are probably pink and blue hydrangea, unless you're thinking of chrysanthemums.
Some rhododendrons look very much like pom-poms, thought they aren't as big as hydrangeas.

I would really like to have rhododendrons in my garden. They're rather hard to care for, though.
Oh well, in my dream world where my dream garden is, I'll be devoted solely to my plants. So there will be nice blooming rhododendrons and daphnes (I know I am so daring!) and foxgloves and zinnias. But that's just the flower part. I shoudl still like most of my garden to be green. Aloes. And a lot of those big leafy plants. And trees for sure!