Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Internet: Broadband or not?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Internet: Broadband or not?   
Quote:
I'd check things out, Plastic. Bideford got itself connected back in January. Unless you are far out of town, you might be in luck now.

Nobody tells me anything. Doubt my street got it though, it's a bit listed (big old trees and huge houses) plus I'm moving soon hopefully, so I'll wait before I pay out for a connection fee, I think. Will go check though...
My internet sucks!!!!
I have dsl .... 650kbps for me just now..
We have people who when they build a new house out in the woods far from the maddening crowd, complain about the bears and mountain lions and that the fire station is so far away when trees catch fire. There are tradeoffs you make when you choose to live in a rural setting; sometimes you can't have your cake ands eat it. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

I still have good ol' 56k. It does the job reliably enough. Tongue Smilie
I've got broadband at the moment, but have just bought a house in an area with no broadband. Sad Smilie

Can anyone give me some information about Satalite Broadband connection please.
Broadband here. Never had a dial-up for I waited to get a PC until I could get broadband via my TV cable. My other computer is a Commodore 64/128 with which I never went online.
Heh, you should try and see how slow your Commodore is when you hook it up Grondy, a friend of mine did it with an Atari ST, very funny results.

I'm stuck on 56k as there's no broadband out here in the sticks.
*bangs head on table at the slowness of it all, and thinks about moving just so he can get broadband (friend of mine has just done this very thing)*
Lucky you Perwing! Big Smile Smilie
I am still trying to survive with this 56k modem of mine.
The capibility of the modem is 56k but these "wonderful" phone lines here in bulgaria can't get any faster so the max speed I am connected is 31 kbps.I just love my country. Smoke Smilie
Hum.. I've got ADSL, it's not quite broadband, but it's almost as fast.
ADSL is a really smart thing, it connects on your phoneline, but you can still talk on the phone while online. You don't have to install any cables or anything, you just need a little box, quite similar to a modem. It's even cheaper than broadband, the monthly payment as well as the starter payment.
I don't know why everybody in Sweden doesn't choose ADSL, it's much better, really. Well, it might cause they were afraid the telephonecompany would get monopoly on the market and then rise the prices.
But there are so many ways of getting high speed internet connection here, so I don't think that will happen. I mean, we've got ADSL, Broadband, ComHem etc, etc. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Heh, you should try and see how slow your Commodore is when you hook it up Grondy, a friend of mine did it with an Atari ST, very funny results.
Yes, some place I have an old 300 bt modem for the Commodore and a modern(?) 28 knt one I was going to use if I ever felt like hooking it up. Of course with the high processing speed of the C= 64 (count 'em 1Htz) all it can handle is text and very few servers will set up non-graphic accounts.

I'm very happy with broadband.
Broadband... cable to be exact.

Check this out:

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/

I got 1.156 Mb/s Super Wow Smilie That's more than I expected.

Just did it again and got 1.508 Mb/s !! Shocked Elf Smilie

[Edited on 5/3/2003 by ProgHead777]
I got between 1.4 and 1.6 Mbps.

I got 83.12 Kbps Smile Smilie I'm content. As long as I don't have to be stuck with a modem.

I think I need to add that the reason my connection is so slow lately is that we've got lan at my house and sharing one connection. That makes it much slower, though it really shouldn't.

[Edited on 4/5/2003 by Airecristiel]
I got 34.72. Sad Smilie
Quote:
btw, Hi Prog, long time no see How have you been mate?? (exept really busy i guess)

I've been OK. I just have a lot of stuff going on... at work and elswhere. This is the quietest weekend I've had in ages. Thanks for asking...

BTW, 950 Kbps is actually pretty good. I think mine is so high because I'm not sharing it with very many people. With cable connections, you have to share your bandwidth with everyone in your immediate neighborhood. I happen to live in redneck-ville... if I said "broadband" to any of my neighbors they'd probably think I was referring to the Dixie Chicks Big Laugh Smilie
I have 512 kb/s
I got 468.4 Kb/s
Quote:
I'm stuck on 56k as there's no broadband out here in the sticks.
*bangs head on table at the slowness of it all, and thinks about moving just so he can get broadband (friend of mine has just done this very thing)*
I'd check things out, Plastic. Bideford got itself connected back in January. Unless you are far out of town, you might be in luck now.

Sutton Bridge, where I'm moving to shortly has had only 49 applicants for it so far. BT have not even set a target figure for the place yet, but the lowest targets are in the region of 300, so I think I'll be waiting a long time.

I've been looking into Satallite connections, which seem to be my only option for a fast connection. A "one way" link where you just get a fast download, and have to use a normal modem connection for the uploads is affordable. With a BT anytime for the uploads it will cost a couple of quid more than what I'm currently paying for Broadband. A two way link will cost me at least three times as much.

Still feels as though I'll be trading a Ferrari for a Ford Capri though. Sad Smilie