Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: have you heard of these?!?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > have you heard of these?!?   
I recently saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding, ElijahLover. I really loved it. The two best parts, in my opinion, were the scene where the leading man (forgot his name, sorry) is bing baptised into the Greek church. I think it was the blow up kiddie wading pool that set me off laughing. The ending was very funny too. The happy couple finally get married, to be presented with a house from her Greek parents. It just happens to be the house right next door to theirs! Hmm...plenty of marital privacy! Big Laugh Smilie

I also loved Ever After. Drew Barrymore's best role.

The Princess Bride is one of my favourite parodies of the genre. Favourite bit: When the hero tricks the bad guy into poisoning himself, while he has built up immunity to the poison. Big Laugh Smilie

I'm afraid that I don't know the others though.
I can speak to the 'Road' pictures staring comedian Bob Hope, baritone crooner Bing Crosby, and the beautiful star Dorothy Lamour. There were seven of these musical-comedies dating from 1940 into the early '60s. They were, and still are, fun pictures where these to guys vie for the girl in their travels is some far land like Zanzibar, Bali, Singapore, etc. I think they were mostly in black and white, but many of the later ones were in color. Believe it or not, Bob Hope just celebrated his 100th birthday.

'The Mad, .... Mad World' is still shown on TV and is basically a star studded (about a dozen big names) comedy race to find the hidden loot before the cops get it. It is mad cap from beginning to end.

Last night I again watched 'Key Largo' starring Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, and Lauren Bacall. About crooks holed up in a Florida hotel during a hurricane just after the end of prohibition. A really great movie that #1ElijahLover left off her list, of course it isn't as good as Casablanca, but then what is.
Key Largo is tremendous, as almost all movies with Bogart. I watched it several times and each time with pleasure. Of course, pleasure changes - there is no more suspense when you know exactly what will happen next, but you can see now in more detail into the fabric of the movie and analyse the way how it is made. Last night I watched for the nth time "The Last of Mohicans" - I simply could not resist it. And of course each time I see different things. This time my attention was drawn to the way the cameras were showing was happens (a fine interplay of distant plans and close details), and to combat scenes, very realistic and dangerous looking, one really has shudders looking on them. But I still could not tell why they are so different from the usual way of filming such scenes.
As for the movies named by #1Elijahlover, I have seen only Emma, and two versions of that movie. However, IMHO none of these movies is as good as the book! What I liked the most of Jane Austen base movies, was the famous miniseries Pride and Prejudice - delightful!
Actaully #1, I have heard of them!
I have watched Emma(which I liked),a little bit of 1776,
&My big fat greek wedding(I thought that was really funny Big Laugh Smilie ),Ever-After is a real sweet love movie,and have watched some of Princess Bride,the others I have heard of but never watched.
~LadyF~
hi i am the same person as#1 wanted 2 say hi.
Quote:
hi i am the same person as#1 wanted 2 say hi.

yeah I know its you Wink Smilie & hi! Tongue Smilie
The movies that you posted, did you like them?
hi! yes Ive seen ever after, princess bride and emma! I loved princess bride! have you read the book? it's even better!
yes i enjoyed them all. they were allvery nice. [1776=really funny!]
[waking ned divine=i about died laughing!]
[it's a mad mad mad world=so funny!]

what i mean is after the hp incident Sad Smilie [ i got carried away sorry] i wanted a new s/n causei wanted to come back& i lost my password for #1elijahLover. so i got a new one but i put down a differant email. i am the same person. Wink Smilie
Sad Smilie Bob Hope died yesterday Sad Smilie

Grondmaster posted on 12/7/2003 at 23:46
Quote:
I can speak to the 'Road' pictures staring comedian Bob Hope, baritone crooner Bing Crosby, and the beautiful star Dorothy Lamour. There were seven of these musical-comedies dating from 1940 into the early '60s. They were, and still are, fun pictures where these to guys vie for the girl in their travels is some far land like Zanzibar, Bali, Singapore, etc. I think they were mostly in black and white, but many of the later ones were in color. Believe it or not, Bob Hope just celebrated his 100th birthday.
He and his wife were married for 69 years.
Yes it is very sad about Bob Hope. Sad Smilie What an amazing man. I haven't actually seen any of his movies but they played a short documentary on him on telivision and I thought his life was very inspiring.
As to your original question, ElijiahLover, I have seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Ever After, and The Princess Bride.
I liked MBFGW a lot.
I also liked Ever After a lot too just because I like movies that do not take place in the modern days and have good costumes.
I liked The Princess Bride for the same reason. Only I hated the love parts in both movies.