Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: H.G. Wells

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > H.G. Wells   
H.G Wells was a great writer, I loved The War Of The Worlds. The Time Machine is a great book also.

He also wrote The Invisible Man and Tono-Bungay. Great stuff and I found it easier to read than that of his contempory Jules Verne.

[Edited on 27/8/2003 by Grondmaster]
I simply love "Time machine", not only it is very well written, but also has this almost Tolkienic feeling of sadness and bliss all together, such as we feel in Lorien, such as Elendil felt in his garden on Numenor...
In "Men like gods" (I am not sure whether this is the right title, I translated back the title of its Polish transation!) Wells is writing about Earth's distant future and there is a description of all world communication system corresponding closely to our Internet!
But my favourite Wells novel is "Mr Polly story". A great story of a frustrated man who led a very unsatisfactory life having nothing to do with his boyhood dreams - and then succeeded to give his life a meaning. Almost a parallel to the story of Bilbo Baggins!
I love H.G.Wells, I like the way he always helps Superman out of his temporal problems... heh...

Oh, but seriously, I think one of his greatest books is The New Machiavelli, a tale of life in middle England spanning the turn of the century up to about the 30s, and filled with political intrigue, and thoughtful prose. Well worth a try, and a nice change from the pioneering sci-fi he is so famous for.
Gosh, I'm embarised to admit that the closest I've ever come to H.G. Wells was when the aliens were invading in the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. *blushes*
Quote:
Gosh, I'm embarised to admit that the closest I've ever come to H.G. Wells was when the aliens were invading in the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. *blushes*
You ought to try one of his books Halo; check the library and War of the Worlds. Happy Elf Smilie
I think I may just have to do that Grondy. Though I think I like the League of Extraordinary Gent's more...its the only place you get to see Mr Hyde haveing a punch up with one of H.G. Wells aliens! Personaly I'm a R.L. Stevenson girl myself.
H.G.Wells was a great writer. I really like his books and I think he was just as visionary as Jules Verne! They are both great, if u ask me!

Namarie!