Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Euro 2004 Awaits! Yay!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Euro 2004 Awaits! Yay!   
Ok, for all you guys n girls who love Football and cant wait for the Euro 2004 Finals

A fantastic feast of Football wizardry awaits us - two and a half weeks non-stop coverage

OH HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN... Big Smile Smilie Wink Smilie Cool Smilie Tongue Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie

My money is on two teams, my favourite is Italy @ 6-1 (i'm also italian blooded, so an easy decision)

My Dark Horse for the championship - The Czech Republic (14-1, good odds for an excellent unit)
Milan Baros as top scorer @ 50-1.
or
Hernando Morientes at 16-1 for Spain.

Well as a welshman i grudgingly offer my good wishes to the Engerland team, but i hope they dont win the thing else we'll (Celts) never hear the bleedin end of it. It's enough they won in the rugby! Sad Smilie

Enjoy the Festival this Summer all you Footie Lovers!

Those that hate the beautiful game, well there's always "Wimbledon" Oh Yay, ......................NOT!

If folks wanna leave their comments, predictions, and footie chat for the duration of the tournament - that'd be excellent!

Good Luck to All!
(EXCEPT THE RUSSIANS WHO CHEATED AND GOT IN INSTEAD OF WALES!)
Bad King Smilie
England will beat Germany 3-1 in the final. France will flop. Again.
Let me know the times of the matches you are watching and I will phone you right in the middle...... or even better just as someone scores!!!

All these England flags on cars..... they don't care about England the rest of the time. I like England and I love the English language but can't abide the farce called football.

Still, you lads go ahead and swill beer, belch and tell the world how you would have done it better!

Wiggle Smilie
Hmmm aside from the last World Cup, where France were undoubtedly woeful... they did win the last Euro Championship - and have yet to concede a goal in all of the last 11 games, and thats with Fabian Barthez the worlds most famous "clown goalkeeper" between the posts!

And Vee... will you be eating strawberries & cream at Wombledon swigging Champers and holding posh lil soirees at the Vee-Mansion?

hehehehehehehe!

Very Evil Smilie

You should also consider the reason the Engerlish dont love their country all of the time is because they lack any real "Soul", they sold all that for the Empire - now sadly in ruins, for shame!
Wink Smilie
I had strawberries and cream yesterday thanks. And No, not going to Wimbledon - not in this weather. If only they held it in the autumn.... I still wouldn't go!

I hate this Engerland word. Saw it on a range of t-shirts today and thought kids today have enough trouble spelling without this sort of misinformation. Pah!

And my dear Aelric, I am always holding soirees at my stately home here in Royal Berkshire. The Queen pops in on occasion. Well, she is almost my neighbour.

Please, don't bow. Just tug your forelock as usual.
*tugging the fore of my locks right now - humbly*
If Engerland wins the Euros, i'll join PJ's "how to ruin classic books" newsletter. I doubt whether Engerland will even get through the group stages. Depends how many ladies will be available to Becks... Wink Smilie

France is so over-rated, together with Holland. Don't even mention Portugal.

Italy is gonna win it, of course. Forza Italia!

Finals : Italy-Germany : 2-0.

Wimbledon?? Federer wins with the men, of course. Who cares who wins with the ladies. Women's tennis B-O-R-I-N-G.
Women's tennis is much better than the men's! Men's tennis today is serving. Period! Who wins is determined solely on the ace/double fault ratio. Well, for most maches, at least. When two equally good servers meet, other skills count a bit as well. Tongue Smilie

The ladies actually uses a bit of technique and brain. Yay! Makes for much more entertaining tennis. Big Smile Smilie (exept for the Williams brothers)

I'd love to say Jelena Dokic would win it, but although the girl always surprises, that would be a bit too big a surprise given her current condition. Prolly be Mars and her brother in the finals again.. Hope they are better actors this time around...
Quote:
Women's tennis is much better than the men's! Men's tennis today is serving. Period! Who wins is determined solely on the ace/double fault ratio. Well, for most maches, at least. When two equally good servers meet, other skills count a bit as well.
I agree. I found Wimbledon last year (the men's, at least) quite boring, but Roddick v. Rusedski was a very good match.

Anyway, isn't this thread supposed to be about football?
Quote:
Anyway, isn't this thread supposed to be about football?
Now where did you get that idea? No mention of football in the title! Orc Grinning Smilie It could be about volleyball, although sadly there are no EChamp. in Volley this year. I would really love to see if Turkey could do as well as last time Cool Smilie

*cheering for Netherlands and Poland in the olympics! * Dunce Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie
Yes do please start a Wimbledon/Tennis thread, as I'll be sure to ignore it. Ignore Smilie

Ok back to Euro 2004 - As a Neutral (sorta) I believe that Engerland have a decent chance of beating the French as long as they dont sit and defend too deep, and also take the attack to an aging Frankish defense (Thuram 32, Lizarazu 35, Desailly 36 - only Silvestre is under 30). If they dont - Engerland will get "creamed".

Nah, it will end in 0-0 after a horrible match. Or perhaps Becks will get a penalty again like against Argentina at the WC ? Very Mad Smilie

Quote:
The ladies actually uses a bit of technique and brain. Yay! Makes for much more entertaining tennis. (exept for the Williams brothers)

Entertaining? it's hardly ever exciting because the top women players always win everything... why bother watching the first rounds of a grandslam when you know the tournament is gonna end with the top ranked players anyway. That's why it is B-O-R-I-N-G. With the men, at least everyone can win against everyone. Not so long, ago, it was all bout the Williams brothers anyway, until the two Belgian gals arrived.

Under normal circumstances, which weren't the case this year (which explains why Anastasia Myskina wins Roland Garros), only Henin-Hardenne or Clijsters can take the Williamses on. And now that Anna Kournikova doesn't seem to be playing anymore, why bother watching any women's tennis match if the Williamses, Henin-Hardenne or Clijsters don't play? Perhaps this would be a wise cure against insomnia. I should try it one day.

Anyway, you can't say that the men's Roland Garros was boring this year. The ladies played a horribly bad match, no surprise there. So far for quality.

Returning to football again, i wonder whether Holland will lose again with penalties against Italy like in 2000. That was just great. 11 m can turn into 11 km and a goal can become as big as a manhole after 120 minutes of play... at least for the Dutch, it seems. Dramatic!
I am suffering(?) from lack of TV, so I haven't watched anyting this year. Myskina won RG? Wow.. Agree fully with you on the top ranked ones. There are not enough good players, only a few. It looked good for a while, with a lot of young russians moving in, but they have..gone somewhere else, I suppose.. Elf Confused Smilie It has gotten a bit better though. It used to be just Davenport and Hingis that won tournies. The rest were just cannon fodder.

Football? Eh... Norway won't win!! Trust me! (are we playing, btw?)
Norway didn't qualify for the Euros (not referring to the money Wink Smilie) , as they were defeated by Spain in the ultimate qualifying matches... only Sweden and Denmark represent Scandinavia.

About the Russian women tennis players : i don't like their play. No talent at all, so... fabricated. Maybe they are robots made in factories, who knows.
Quote:
Returning to football again, i wonder whether Holland will lose again with penalties against Italy like in 2000. That was just great. 11 m can turn into 11 km and a goal can become as big as a manhole after 120 minutes of play... at least for the Dutch, it seems. Dramatic!

Of course you'd have just loved that result eh? Afterall, if my memory serves me correctly you're from Belgium, right?

Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
11 m can turn into 11 km
11m? It's 12 yards, my friend. No more, no less. None of this metric business. Tongue Smilie And it's not a problem if you know German Voodoo Penalty Magic.
A bitter, "we lost again on penalties" Engerlishman?

Seriously though, it amazes me that England routinely get into that fix - and then blame the training regime for their ineptitude or lack of bottle when taking a spot-kick. As a player of some ability (semi-pro) I think its mostly about psychology, less to do with ability. As at that level, any fool should be able to score from 12 yards. I've been our club's penalty-taker for the last four years, and i have only missed two and had one saved out of some 30 or more, so not a bad ratio, but i'm sure if i were playing in a shoot-out against my biggest rival (in my case that would be England, cos i'm Welsh) I'd probably have the hibee-jibees too, just i wouldnt do a Chris Waddle or Stuart pearce - of that I'm sure!

Wink Smilie
Quote:
11m? It's 12 yards, my friend. No more, no less. None of this metric business. And it's not a problem if you know German Voodoo Penalty Magic.

Maybe this is the reason why England is also bad at taking penalties (remember Euro '96 against Germany...match against Argentina in WC '98) : because they still not use the metric system, unlike the rest of the world...

Quote:
I'd probably have the hibee-jibees too, just i wouldnt do a Chris Waddle or Stuart pearce - of that I'm sure!

Hmm, why didn't you mention Southgate, Batty or Ince? Big Laugh Smilie Besides i thought the whole Engerlandish nation blamed Becks after the WC in '98?

Well England still isn't as bad as Holland at taking penalties... remember Euro 2000, semifinals? they missed two penalties in 90 minutes, heh and 5 in the penalty shootout... and also in the WC '98 they missed 3 or 4... well of course Brazilian goalkeepers are good in penalty shootouts... also the only thing they're good at, kinda.
All ball games should be played with a spiked ball in my opinion. With the exception of cricket, it'd make them all more interesting.... Make some of them over-paid prima donnas earn their money too.
Even beach volleyball?? Man, that could make things err really interesting.... Big Laugh Smilie
Engerland! Engerland! Engerland!

Muahahahahahahahahhaaa!!! Very Big Grin Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie

Man that was cruel, "mugged" Owen claims, I reckon its more to do with luck - 2 minutes of sheer Calamity!

Well nevermind i'm sure you engerlish will give Croatia and the swiss a good drubbing cos they aint up to much (both were bluddy rubbish).

WOCAB - "Who of course are...********"
Engerland didn't play bad, deserved to win, ... although Barthez brilliantly saved that penalty. You can't say Becks touched it bad. It was a well struck penalty, but even better saved. Perhaps Barthez remembers Becks's penalty kicks from when they both played in Manchester?

Engerland will still go through i think, as Switzerland and Croatia were so so weak... i wonder what the Hollandish will do against Germania tomorrow. Either they crush the Germans 4-0, which they can do if the team feels like playing football, or they suffer a German defeat : 2-3 after being 2-0 up...

Best bet for the winner of the Euros is still Italy.
Smile Smilie Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie

I'm pleased I don't like football Tongue Smilie

I think a few people in my local town of Boston let things go to their heads a bit come full time. For only the second time in my memory the town hit the headlines when 80 disgruntled fans trashed the town centre and burned two police cars. Idiots!!! Shaking Head Smilie
Quote:
I think a few people in my local town of Boston let things go to their heads a bit come full time. For only the second time in my memory the town hit the headlines when 80 disgruntled fans trashed the town centre and burned two police cars. Idiots!!!

Hmm, a Boston tea party in England, Val ? Big Laugh Smilie

BTW, Sweden was brilliant yesterday. I didn't picture them to be so strong, but of course Bulgaria had a) bad luck and b) was struck dead cold in 5 minutes.
One man Larsson show eh! Superb diving header - textbook stuff. But i agree, Bulgaria played well enough first half to get goals but couldnt convert.

Spain are my favourites now, at least thats where i put a last minute bet.

I cant bet on Italy, i'll curse them if i do. Tongue Smilie
Man, i hope the Dutch give the Germans a good thrashing tonight!

Any Germans in the House?

Well i'm not engerlish, but would like for a poor side to get soundly beaten, after the last tournament when they got to the final with a completely dross team. Please NOOOOOO not again!

Wink Smilie

What is this Engerland thing anyway? It does sound like someone can't spell, but then again, the word Neanderthal often comes to mind when I think of soccer. Wink Smilie *hehe* I'm guessing it is a old way of spelling England?
Just a bastardisation of the language. Someone thought it sounded better chanted with an extra syllable.
Please stick to the subject matter Ladies, or else i'll have to EDIT yo bottoms!

Bad King Smilie Moderator Smilie Bad King Smilie

Gawd i wish i could, just once, y'know. :P

Yeah the engerlish get another syllable for free courtesy of such eloquent and talented individuals as Baddiel and Skinner (theyre comedians - allegedly?)

And Amadamberrie, it's FOOTBALL not "SOCCER"!!!

Cool Smilie
I was hoping it had a bit more intelligent reason than that. Neanderthals... Tongue Smilie
And of course it is football, but not everybody understands that you know.
There is a hint in the title of the thread... EURO 2004 is a football tournament, and if americans & aussies want to call it soccer, or sotcha or whatever then thats fine - but theyre wrong!

Association Rules Football came a long long time before Aussie Rules and American Football{silly games} Very Big Grin Smilie

Cmon folks this a Football thread, lets not have this hijacked by the ladies and turned into a "This is ONLY for GIRLZ" thread! hehehehehehe!

Police Smilie
Awww... come on Earlick, you know you want us here. You love us and you know it. Who's that man in the striped shirt? Stripes are just SO not in this summer.
Pity that Latvia lost against Czech republic (don't mind the spelling) : i like underdogs. They could've won, but they had bad luck as the defenders and the goal keeper - who appeared like the typical Russian bear - grew tired...but of course those Latvians are REAL footballers and not on nandrolon like the Czechs. Pah, very poor performance from Czechia... they'll never win it. Still, very brave of the Czech coach to bring in 4 attacking players...

Let's see what Hollandia is going to do against Germania. I think a draw, but i hope Germany wins, certainly after the pathetic remarks from Van Nistelrooij "W.W. II is a motivation for us".

I haven't seen any good football yet, anyway, safe from Sweden. If the Swedes continu like that, they'll cream everyone. Great team.

I don't think Spain will make it until the end... they are always unlucky on big tournaments, anyway though they always have a great team. Pretty much like the Hollandish, although the unability to take penalties has not much to do with luck... Very Big Grin Smilie

Quote:
There is a hint in the title of the thread... EURO 2004 is a football tournament, and if americans & aussies want to call it soccer, or sotcha or whatever then thats fine - but theyre wrong!

Around 1860, some British college boys invented rugby in Rugby College -- later on, a variation on rugby was invented, called 'football' (and no, not in Football College, let alone Soccer College). Years later, the Americans invented their own variation -whether this is a sport is debatable - and called it American football. The Aussie did that too : Australian football.

But later on, the Americans just replaced "American football" by "football" and replaced the real football by the horrendous sounding word "soccer", just like they replaced "colour" by "color", etc. Perhaps they did that because their abilities in football have always been a bit... amateuristic.

Anyway, FOOTBALL is played with a round ball, all the rest is... something else.

Quote:
Who's that man in the striped shirt?

Freddie Krueger, or Waldo!

Quote:
Cmon folks this a Football thread, lets not have this hijacked by the ladies and turned into a "This is ONLY for GIRLZ" thread! hehehehehehe!

How could they? Like you said, this thread is about football. All right. And what do women know about football? Very Big Grin Smilie

BTW : David James is the worst keeper i've ever seen.
Soccer apparently comes from Association football. From when they decided that there should be rules. And limited number of players. Smile Smilie

Never understood the american "football" thing, where the point is... Actually, the point of the game has evaded me so far, but it seem to include a lot of people (without the ball!) trying to kill each other. But back to the point at hand: Why call a game where the players run around with the ball in their hands! football??

Oh ye! Why am I posting here really? I don't even like football! Now, volleyball, that is a different thing! Go MŁnster! WHEE! Big Smile Smilie
Football sounds the best in Italian though, "Calcio". Ah, sounds lovely!! Although, calcio originally also was a different game... but close enough to football.

I think the Americans just didn't want to call it "American rugby", because if they did that, they'd proved they were all wimps, as rugby is played without any armor/helmets/cups/rocket launchers but just in striped shirts!! At least British rugby players are men with muscle, not afraid of losing some teeth. I think if you put off the whole costume of an "American football" player, there'd only be a small, skinny lad left. A muscled biro.

Returning to football : i'll now say Sweden will win it! Or at least, i hope they will. They impressed me a lot.
Quote:
Freddie Krueger, or Waldo!
The Americans also changed his name from Wally to Waldo.
Hmm. So, to sum it all up: You were all wrong! Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie :-ř Go Hellenia!

So was my prediction of the Wimby being won by Mars or her brother, thank God! Big Smile Smilie Some of the young russians seem to trickle through still. And this one doesn't play robotnikova-tennis either! Smile Smilie
Hopefully this one won't fall victim to Octagon's "smile and endorse"- tactics...
Yes, those Geeks stunned the whole world with their Stonewall defense football and team spirit. Still, b-o-r-i-n-g football. Of course, the Greeks have learned their lessons from the war of Troy... attacking and charging walls for 20 years doesn't work, only wit and teamwork does. So begone, attacking football!

Well, pity the nr 1 and 2 weren't at Wimby nor Roland Garros, eh. Otherwise things would've been a bit more interesting. I have a feeling that no Russian would've won, but a Belgian.