Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Rock on! (Strictly no Pop)

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Rock on! (Strictly no Pop)   [1] [2] [3] >>
Rock 'n' Roll, baby, yeah!
So this thread is for all the rock 'n' roll'ers (aka 'mosher freaks') out there in this here PT family
Basically we can just talkl about our faveourite bands without bringing 'Britney Spears', 'Justin Timberlake' or 'Avril Lavigne' into the topic of conversation.
Have a nice stay, and remember ........ no pop please!
How about Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Cream and what about the Pixies...? Or are you talking contemporary rock or American rock like Bon Jovi? Or could be rock n roll like Elvis.... Bill Haley and the Comets.... ooh Riff Pilchard?
I think Rawien means crap like Evanescence, Limp Biscuit etc.
Limp Biscuit, oh lord no - Metallica, Sabbath, Ozzy the mad old Brummie, Zepplin, (never really did like Jethro Dull, ahem Tull) Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Slayer, Sepultura, Henry Rollins have seen all these bands live bar the Zepp, I do miss the Monsters of Rock aka Donnington weekends - great stuff
Soundgarden what can I say we'll never see em again....but we do have Audioslave and that is sufficent. Then RATM now that is moshin' thursday night Aunty Annies always rockin'. bringin it down a gear Supergrass always good ......
Oh aye almost forgot Faith no More and Kiss and Alice Cooper along with Europe and of course The Doors
Lemme see, good Rock....in my book that's Elvis, Aerosmith, Good Charolette, Evanescence, Blink 182, hmmm, besides local bands, thats the only good rock that i can think of. Plus anonymous other bands that i have heard on the radio and at my friend's houses.
AnYonE like CKY? or Slipknot.. maybe Mudvayne...?? sevendust, saliva, Boyhitscar, Metallica, Godsmack, Hoobastank, LP, P.O.D., S.O.T.Y. 3dg atreyu.. and lost more.. anyone like those bands?
Quote:
Oh aye almost forgot Faith no More and Kiss and Alice Cooper along with Europe and of course The Doors

I do miss FNM, I remember seeing them at Brixton Academy many years ago and they were fantastic, a shame they went their seperate ways. GNR, now while I do like their older stuff, Axl Rose cannot sing to save his life, Ive never rated him as a singer but you cant deny the legend that is Paradise City, Sweet Child of Mine (best riff) or even GNR Lies the cover album, they do put on a good live show though

Off to see Red Hot Chili Peppers soon whoo-hoo!

Smile Smilie
What do you mena miss them, they've not split up their just not doing owt at the moment.

By the way you say no pop and then some one posts this
Quote:
Lemme see, good Rock....in my book that's Elvis, Aerosmith, Good Charolette, Evanescence, Blink 182, hmmm, besides local bands, thats the only good rock that i can think of. Plus anonymous other bands that i have heard on the radio and at my friend's houses.

Does this mean they're all invalid, as they are after all popular music. Or do you mean Rock on (strictly no crap). Like avril, blink 182, S.O.A.D., good charlette, evanescence, britney, justin trousersnake. And all other crap bands unworthy of correct spelling or capital letters?
Also do you include rock as Heavy Metal, Indie, Punk, Electronica, etc..... until you include nearly every genre of music that is existence because at some point the have all crossed over?

Lets see as whom we should talk about in my humble (therefore correct) opinion. Pink Floyd, Whitesnake (plus David on his own), Jethro Tull, ACDC, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Joy Division/New Order, Motorhead, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Ash, The Cure, The Datsuns, Talk Talk, Depeche Mode, Doves, Foo Fighters, Idlewild, Green Day, The Cult, Yes. I could post many more but I grow bored and it would take up to much room.
In Love Smilie I Love You Smilie Making Out Smilie Aerosmith... §sigh, drool, shudder§ Steven Tyler... In Love Smilie I Love You Smilie Making Out Smilie
Quote:
Aerosmith... §sigh, drool, shudder§ Steven Tyler...

Yes... Steven Tyler, aka the Missing Link, is very pretty indeed... a Darwinian nightmare he is.
John Paul Jones - The Thunderthief - good rock but not a lot of roll. Or Hawkwind, Golden Earring... Canned Heat.... Bad Company......
I just want to say that i like listening to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Rolling Stones and once again Led Zeppelin. And so on and on....
Surely Garbage is no garbage? I have also lately come to the conclusion that Lacuna Coil is very, very good. Yes. Although their metallicity is perhaps to high for this thread? What about Theater of Tragedy? Madrugada? Dire Straits? Or Vanilla Ninja? Tongue Smilie *ducks and runs*
Lacuna Coil? Hmm, i find Tristania more interesting, not to mention Nightwish. As long as it is metallic, it is good!
Nightwish is nice too! And interesting indeed! Symphonic-opera-metal, with Ian Anderson popping in from time to time. Big Smile Smilie Tristiania sounds like ToT clones. (If the 4 mp3's I dl'ed are representative.) Nothing wrong with that though! Wink Smilie Good thing ToT has finally arisen from the ashes again, after Liv Christine was lured by the Dark Forests and castles of my current residence. The sound is not quite the same, but still..
I LOVE YOU VEE PINK FLOYD ( THE WALL BEING THE GRATEST ALBEM EVER), LED ZEPPLIN, AND EVERY ONE YOU SED I LOVE Smile Smilie

also do any off you guys listin to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai(was in white snake), Yngwie Malmsteen they are so very kool infact there the 3 best guitarist in the world.

1 moor thing i hate people who say ya rock on and u go "ya what do you like" and then they name a band and you go "ya what albem you like and they carnt name a 1" i hate that so much and you then find out they have never even heard a song .
Quote:
Yes... Steven Tyler, aka the Missing Link, is very pretty indeed... a Darwinian nightmare he is.

Mad Smilie Ignore Smilie Maybe a Darwinian fantasy Angel Smilie
Quote:
1 moor thing i hate people who say ya rock on and u go "ya what do you like" and then they name a band and you go "ya what albem you like and they carnt name a 1" i hate that so much and you then find out they have never even heard a song .

Yea, I know what you mean Tulkas, it seems a lot of people are doing that these days. Or you ask them what their favorite song is, and they reply with the number one song by that band, like "Yea, I like Black Sabbath, Iron Man rules!" Very annoying indeed.
also whats up with all these pop stars (justin timberlake them pair of pop idel and gar gar gar gar garith gat gat gat gat gates ) dressin up in rock stars cloths and now every 1 is copieing them and when i wore my riped jeans and a pink floyd tee shirt last year every 1 made fun of me and now that pop starts were its suddenly ok MAN I H8 POP SO SO SO SO MUCH
Why waste energy talking about them? They all sound the same anyway. In last years Norwegian pop idol, nr 2 and nr 3 had typical boyband voices and faces (while nr 1, Kurt Nilsen had what they didn't; both talent and personality!). I was so sure the new songs on the radio were sung by those two, untill I found out there were at least 5 different persons with one song each, among them Gareth Gates. I could not tell their voices apart at all. Oh look, I did waste energy on them. How annoying. *sigh*

[qoute]Aerosmith... §sigh, drool, shudder§ Steven Tyler...

Umm.. well... I agree on the shudder part! *shudders*
It's not his fault he looks like his father was also his brother.
Hehe, well... I still find him attractive!
Boy bands are one of my pet peeves... Very Mad Smilie I don't know what it is, but whenever I hear someone tell me they're in a band of all guys, I just freak out and get grossed out and mad and such... N*Sync... ugh...
Hang on a mo, The wall was pink Floyds worst album (before you start shut up Plastic). The best Pink Floyd album was Wish you were here.
Bands I like:

Tool are, quite simply, the best band ever to walk the earth. There is no argument about this. Their songs are in turn soft, aggressive, uplifting and dramatic. They also have the best drummer rock music has ever seen (Danny Carey). New album coming January 2005.

Rage against the Machine achieve an irresistible blend of funk and aggression. They have a message to convey and they do it in the best way possible. Who else could cover Beautiful World and make it good? Too bad they had to split.

Opeth are one of the most talented and original metal bands of recent years. Their seamless interweaving of melodic death metal themes with intricate and delicate acoustic parts makes them a band not to be missed.

Led Zeppelin are extremely good, mainly because of Jimmy Page (best rock guitarist ever), whose riffs and solos alone would make this a good band, if the other members weren't also very good.

I could go on but I don't have time.

Quote:
gar gar gar gar garith gat gat gat gat gates
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *Falls off chair and rolls around on the floor laughing*
Ross, you are wrong, still, very wrong. The Wall is a ****ing masterpiece, close to being my favourite album of all time. Wish you were here is admittedly on the same list, but Floyd's worst album is the Division Bell, which plain sucked, and everything after and INCLUDING Delicate Sound of thunder, which was rubbish. End of.
Good to see someone remembering Hawkwind in there. Not made a decent album in 20+ years, but what the hell...

Re: Floyd. Last half decent album was The Wall, if you can stomach listen to a multi-millionaire whining for an hour and a half about how unhappy he is cos no-one understands him, etc, etc. Last great album Wish you were here...

Don't know what you've all got agianst Pop though. There's just good songs and bad songs. A lot of pop is rubbish - hello Simon Cowell - but most of everything is rubbish and at least pop doesn't pretend to be anything other than disposable.

Art comes from everywhere. Shakespeare wrote disposable plays which were only designed to last a few performances... and look what happened to him.
Right I'll probably get strung up fer this but ye canna beat a bit of the Human League ye know they did alot for the music back in the day.
right then have ta say that Modest Mouse have tweaked my ears and Pink Grease as well plus velet Revolver as well but if they hadn' sumthin' would have been terrible wrong.
Brand New as well got a few of their tunes and as anyone else noticed the strikin resemblance the lead singer has with Morrisey in a young way.
Dar I also like Human League o no worries about getting stick from me. Plastic The Wall was utter s***e, where as the Division Bell you really know was great. As i've now told you several times to say that including and after the Delicate Sound of Thunder was rubbish is to discredit their earlier work as the Delicate Sound of Thunder was a concert recorded of them playng various songs of their back catalogue.
Three cheers for Phil Oakey... Sheffield will rise again
And as I have told you Ross it is a truly terrible live album featuring some bloody awful versions of Floyd's greatest tunes.
And the Human League? Well, okay, I liked their version of Rock and Roll part 1.
Quote:
I think Rawien means crap like Evanescence, Limp Biscuit etc.

I think Rawien definatley does not mean crap like evanescence and limp bizcuit

nah, the proper stuff. aerosmith, guns n' roses, jimi hendrix, the cure, metallica, nirvana, disturbed, kittie, manson, cradle of filth, korn, etc. crap like sum 41 and sh*t should be lined up and shot..
oh my god i missed so much!
.. slipknot, system of a down(since when are they crap, Ross?), incubus, the distillers, rage against the machine, alice cooper, velvet revolver, hole, jack off jill, ( i like HIM, but you'll probably say they're crap too), the offspring, spineshank, AFI, stone roses, red hot chili peppers, funeral for a friend, foo fighters, pantera, alice in chains, led zep, ahhhh! i can't think of anymore..
Those are some good bands (mainly), especially Rage and Led Zep. System of a Down are good. Don't listen to Ross. Tongue Smilie
You managed to get a few good bands in there, but most are just crap, except for Hole. They're just f*****g s***e! Big Smile Smilie
Who cares what bands Rawien listens to. Nothing beats Madredeus, eh Ross? Big Laugh Smilie
Personally, I like more retro rock as it takes me back to my younger (and more carefree) days. Bands like AC/DC, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Thin Lizzy and Uriah Heep. Gotta appreciate the :"old guys" who set the bar pretty high in the 70's for other bands. Of those I just listed, some favorite songs come to mind: "Momma Told Me Not to Come'" by Three Dog Night, almost everything of AC/DCs, and "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf (plus alot more). Just wanted to share my thoughts guys.
Quote:
"Momma Told Me Not to Come'" by Three Dog Night,

Oooooooh classic!

Creadence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising......

John Fogerty/Credence Clearwater - fantastic band. But John fogerty got so *****ed over by Saul Zaentz that he didn't / couldn't record for ten years. (See Addleshaw Goddard thread for more info on what Zaentz & Co are like.)
I love that 70's sound of Creedence Clearwater. What a voice, particularly on Put a Spell on You, and Walking on Water. Although a bit different, I love Canned Heat too. I don't know what it is but On the Road Again has such a feeling of hot summer days about it. Reminds me for some reason of lazing in fields of corn in the baking sun.
Resently started listening to hard metalic rock. Love Nervana, Slipknot, Pink Floyd, Perl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Rock on!!!
My favorite rock bands are Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. My dad is actually really good friends with the guys in Bon Jovi but I've never met them! How terrible Sad Smilie But how cool would it be if you new Steven Tyler or Tico Torres? AWESOME, I'm telling you!
I got to touch Alice Cooper last Halloween! He came through the haunted house I've worked at since I was 5. Third skariest in California!!!
I love good ole Rock & Roll from the 70's but like Peredhil, I love Tool the most now. They are excellent live and their CDs are all great. So is Perfect Circle. I love so many bands, depends on my mood but mostly harder metal/rock & some alternative. A newer favorite is White Stripes - anyone else like them? They have kind of a 70's sound.
I'm not a great fan of either The White Stripes or A Perfect Circle, I'm afraid. Well, APC are quite good, I suppose. I can't wait for Tool's new album to come out (January 2005 Big Smile Smilie ).
Rock and Roll baby yeah! Alice Cooper that's cool as. Now me I like to rock like Val Doonican, and Gene Pitney, and erm.... Tony Christie?
lol hey peps..

not exactly a hardcore band/rock person but i do love my music and rock rides the lists :P

this may sound cle-sheyed and youre probably tired of them already but i do like linkin park (not too hardcore i know but yeah :P) and i love the style and new stuff from the new finnish band the Rasmus...

just bein me lolz... i dont have too much time but i will try and check some of the others on here and see what they're like Wink Smilie

oh and yeah i like what bon jovi have done too.. imagine 2500+ concerts? thats like 10 years daily concerts.. and they still rock.. wow lovin it Wink Smilie
Do the beatles count? Cause they're cool.
Hehe. GOooo Led zeppeleeeeen!!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
anybody here into Punk? Linkin Park? I'm into a lot of newer bands. Because I havn't always been a rock freak, but I have a lot of respect for you guys into classic rock. You've last thrrough all "Hip-Hop" and Pop. Other junk like that. I like some older stuff. I also so like so hard stuff too. OOOOH Does anyone like Silverstein. They're pretty cool. Is anyone else here in a band?
  [1] [2] [3] >>