Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Baseball Anyone?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Baseball Anyone?   [1] [2] [3] [4] >>

I'm not sure how many baseball fans there are here, but I thought I'd give this thread a try. I do know that Elfstone is an Angels fan, so there's one.

Is there anyone else? I am a big Cardinals fan, currently they have the best record in the Majors and lead the hated Cubs by ten games. If they keep up their pace they will easily win their division and head for the playoffs.

Another fan??? Someone?
Yes, i am a major fan of Homer "Homerun" Simpson.
I am a mets fan. They are actually doing ok this season. My second fav is Seattle, though they are declining from previous years, in spite of Ichiro. . .
Did somebody say Baseball? I love Baseball! Yes itís true that Iím a die-hard Angelís fan, and I watch basically every game. I also enjoy going to as many games as possible. One of my absolute favorite things in the entire world is going to the game and being at Angel stadium!

I was just at the Angels vs. Red Sox game last Saturday night, and I had some amazing front row seats! I had such a great time at that game, and we beat the Red Sox 8-3! Plus I got to see my favorite player hit a home run!

My favorite player is Vladimir Guerrero! He has been my favorite player since Mark McGwire retired, and I used to watch him play with the Expoís. You can probably imagine just how excited I was when the Angels signed him!

Iíve been a Baseball fan since I was around 5, and Iím having the most fun this year watching the Angels that Iíve ever had as a fan in my entire life! Iím going to be a season ticket holder starting next season, and will be a season ticket holder for as long as Vladdy is on our team. Who knows, I may be an Angels season ticket holder for the rest of my life depending on where Iím at down the line?

Cardinals eh Stony? Your boys are having one heck of a year! Albert Pujols is amazing, and Rolen is having a career year! I used to root for the Cards back when Big Mac was on that team because he is one of my top three favorite players of all time, and I had been watching him since he was a rookie with the Aís way back in the day. I have always liked Tony La Russa too! I think the Cards just about have the N. L. Central locked up!

I didnít really have a favorite team up until a few yearsí back, just favorite players that I liked, but then the Angels just continued to grow on me. They play the game the right way, and they give 150% win or lose, and there isnít one selfish guy on our team. They are a true team in every essence of the word, and in this modern era of professional sports where we see so many negative things happen, the Angels are a shining example of everything that is right, not only about Baseball, but in pro sports in general!

Anyway, Baseball rules! The Yankees vs. Red Sox series this weekend should be a lot of fun too!

Quote:
I am a mets fan. They are actually doing ok this season. My second fav is Seattle, though they are declining from previous years, in spite of Ichiro. . .

Hang in there Laurel-elen, welcome to PT by the way! Waving Hello Smilie
Thanks for the welcome, Elfstone. I can't imagine having season tickets to a MLB team! We only have a farm team for the Marlins out here, but I support them nontheless! I did get to see the Cardinals play the Rockies when McGuire was still in the HR race with Sosa. He never hit one that game, but it was great to see him play.
I am glad to hear you talk about the game the way you did. It is rare to find unselfish teams/players in professional sports these days, though in baseball it seems more common.
I am looking forward to the Red Sox-Yanks game. I think Pedro is a great pitcher, especially against the Yankies!
I don't know if I am a baseball fan, but I guess I like baseball more than most of the others. Elf Confused Smilie
I'm a Mariners' fan, though this year with the worst record in baseball until this last week (when they won twice as many as they lost) it has been very hard subjecting myself to that brand of baseball. I didn't grow up in Chicago, so I'm not used to losing. We play the Angels tonight and I expect to be beaten; however, maybe they will surprise Elfstone and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for a change. Actually the Mariners' pitching hasn't been that bad, its just the bats are silent and the old guys haven't been pulling their weight, which is why John Olerud was released and I doubt if Edgar Martinez will be back next year. Ichiro's clutch singles can't score any runs if no one gets on base ahead of him.
I think I became a Cards fan from my grandfather, that was the team he always watched when I visited him.
I hope they continue their winning, the Giants are a tough team, but hopefully the Cards can win one back.

You're right Elfstone, the Yankee vs. Red Sox game will be great, I hope that is the game that's on today on FOX.
Quote:
I did get to see the Cardinals play the Rockies when McGuire was still in the HR race with Sosa. He never hit one that game, but it was great to see him play.

I went to see McGwire that year when the Cardinals were playing the Dodgers in L.A. at Dodger stadium. Unfortunately, Big Mac didnít play in the game I went to because his back was acting up, but he had been named player of the month earlier that day by MLB, and when they announced it at Dodger stadium, all of the fans in attendance gave him a huge standing ovation, and he came out of the dugout and tipped his cap to the crowd, so that was cool!

I think it was the year after that season that the Cardinals were in town to play the Dodgers again, and originally I was going to go to the game that was on Saturday night to see Big Mac, but I ended up going to a Laker playoff game that night instead. Long story short, the Lakers lost that night and went down to the Spurs 3-0 in the series, and I was so bummed. Then on the way home, we were stuck in traffic in L.A., and I was listening to the Cards/Dodgers game in the car, and McGwire hit two home runs in that game! I was so bummed that I went to the Laker game instead, and they lost, when I could have seen Big Mac launch two homers!
Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Quote:
We play the Angels tonight and I expect to be beaten; however, maybe they will surprise Elfstone and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for a change.

I had a feeling you were an Mís fan Grondy! We got you last night, but you guys might have a good chance tonight because our two best players are out tonight (Anderson & Guerrero), and Sele is pitching for us tonight, he has been terrible in his last few starts, and is in serious danger of losing his spot in our starting rotation.

I wasnít too happy with that relief pitcher for you guys that hit Vladdy last night, seemed intentional to me, but thatís Baseball! Anyway, Iím hoping for the sweep over your Mariners because we need to gain ground on Texas! I am sorry you guys are having a crappy season though.

Quote:
I think I became a Cards fan from my grandfather, that was the team he always watched when I visited him. I hope they continue their winning, the Giants are a tough team, but hopefully the Cards can win one back.

You're right Elfstone, the Yankee vs. Red Sox game will be great, I hope that is the game that's on today on FOX.

My football team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because I started watching them when I was 5 with my Grandparents, and they have been my team ever since, so I know how that goes.

Iím watching the Cardinals vs. Giants right now on Fox; the score is currently 2-2 in the top of the 8th. I just saw a crazy highlight of the Yanks vs. Bo Sox game today, and A-Rod and Jason Varitek just got into a gnarly brawl, and were both ejected from the game! Emotions are running high in that series!
Super Wow Smilie
Baseball? now, where that dictionary.....
*Loni sees the dictionary definition:
Quote:

baseball n. 1. American game 2. the ball used in an American game 3. Something
Loni knows nothing about.

Just thought I'd invade this all-baseball fans thread with one non-baseball-fan. We will conquer! I outnumber you, one to 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000! Hmmmm, maybe I don't outnumber them..............
Well, my Cards lost 2 out of 3, at least they won today, that shutout by Morris was great, good way to end the series.

On to Cincinnati and the Reds, it would be good to sweep them before meeting with the Giants again.
Quote:
Just thought I'd invade this all-baseball fans thread with one non-baseball-fan. We will conquer! I outnumber you, one to 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000! Hmmmm, maybe I don't outnumber them..............

Donít worry Loni, in the overall grand scheme of things, there are by far more non-Baseball fans on this Earth, so the number of non-Baseball fans definitely greatly outweighs the number of Baseball fans.
Elf Winking Smilie

Anyway, Grondyís Mís spanked my Haloís pretty good today, but we got two out of three, and we gained some ground back on Texas, so I'll take it. Congrats on the win today Grondy, Joel Piniero pitched a heck of a game today!

Watching Yankees vs. Red Sox right now in the rubber match of the three game series. Bo Sox are breaking out the whuppiní stick just hitting back to back home runs putting them up 6-2. Very entertaining game so far!
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Yeah, the Yankees got the snot knocked out of them by the Sox. I think New York could do with some better pitching, they need Randy, but I doubt he will be going there.

Well your Angels are going against Texas today, Elfstone. There's a great chance for them to make some good ground on the Rangers.
Quote:
Well your Angels are going against Texas today, Elfstone. There's a great chance for them to make some good ground on the Rangers.

Yeah, it is a great chance to make up some ground, but unfortunately we are still minus our two best players tonight, and Escobar is getting roughed up! Weíre down 6-1 in the top of the 8th right now, and it ainít looking good.
Shaking Head Smilie

Hopefully we will get Vladdy, and G.A. back for these next two games with Texas, cause we need those guys big time!
Look Around Smilie
don't know much about baseball as we don't play it here, but a game we do play and i know even less about is Criket........yea gads, kinda like watching grass grow........

And next up to bowl we have slippry hands monagon, he eyes up the pitch, shines the red ball near the crotch area of his white trow, stands and meditates for a few moments, and there he goes, he runs, he bowls.... oh dear....... wide ball, he waits as the ball is sent back to him, shines the ball again, meditates some more, oh dear, he's noticed a mark on the pitch, we all wait while the groundsmen bring out the roller, .............and we're back again....he bowls, .............the pitch is hard and fast ladies and gentlemen, the ball bounces,..............goes high...........oh no, foul ball...............**ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz**
Yeah, at times we also can get that in baseball, but at least we can eat hot dogs, peanuts and Cracker Jacks, and Bar B-Qed spareribs as well as drink beer in the stands, and once in awhile some action does break out.

At home you can raid the refrigerater during these down-times while watching the game on TV, and you can work the P-T forum while you listen to it on the radio.
Yes! My Haloís took 2 out of 3 from Texas, with some dominating pitching performances from Bartolo Colon, and the big Texan John Lackey! Plus my boy Percy got his 300th career save last night, making him only the 18th person in the entire history of MLB to record 300 saves! Way to go Percy!

Up next is Grondyís Mís again for a 4 game series, and 17 out of our next 20 games are against teams that have sub .500 records. Look out Rangers, we are coming!!!
Lighening Smilie
Well Stonehelm and I have something in common I am a Cardinals fan. I think that is what happens when you grow up in the STL area you are not allowed to think that there is anyother baseball team is there??? I am soooooo excited about their season this year I only hope that they do not do what happens every year they do really great and then they get to the 2nd round of the playoffs and they lose the steam. But here is to hoping that we see our team in the Series.

GO CARDS.
Ashley276
Ahh, a fellow Cards fan, welcome to te fold Ashley! Yes, you are right, I want the Cards to continue their dominance in baseball, they have the best record and they need to keep it that way. We don't need any losing when the post season comes upon us!

Congrats to your Halos Elfstone, they did very well against Texas. I think the A's will be your biggest challenge though, I just don't think the Rangers will be very good as the year wears on.
I turned on the TV last night to see how bad the Angel Smilies (Halos) beat my Mariners and what to my eyes did appear, but Vladamir Guerrero pulling the rookie mistake of getting caught in a rundown between first and second when there were no outs in the bottom of the twelth inning and with the winning run already on third. The Mariners went on the get out of the inning and scored the winning run in the thirteenth, holding the Angel Smilies scoreless in the bottom half of that inning. This broke the Mariner's fifteen road game losing streak. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Now the Mariners are only 18 games behind Oakland, while the Angel Smilies dropped back 3-1/2 behind. Still remembering the Angel Smilies 13 games ahead nose-dive in 1985, I'll root for the Angel Smilies over Oaland and Texas, and anyone over the hated NY Yankees.
Quote:
I think the A's will be your biggest challenge though, I just don't think the Rangers will be very good as the year wears on.

I have been thinking that all season too, and I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off that Texas wagon, but it just ainít happening. Weíll see what happens the rest of the way!

Quote:
I turned on the TV last night to see how bad the s (Halos) beat my Mariners and what to my eyes did appear, but Vladamir Guerrero pulling the rookie mistake of getting caught in a rundown between first and second when there were no outs in the bottom of the twelth inning and with the winning run already on third.

Yeah that was a huge base-running mistake, but really the reason that happened was more because Randy Winn made a great play! Vladdy said he took a wide turn around first base after his 12th-inning single Thursday night moved Anderson to third with the potential winning run because he thought Seattle center fielder Randy Winn was throwing to third base.

Randy did fake like he was throwing to third, and then went to second. If Randy had thrown to third, Vlad would have easily been safe at second, regardless though; he should have just stayed at first.

Sometimes Vlad gets a little over aggressive, but thatís just his genuine passion for the game, plus he hit a home run earlier in that game to keep us in it, so what are you going to do. Without that homer, we wouldnít have even been in the position to try and win, you guys were originally leading that game 5-0, and we came back to tie it up. Tough loss for us, big win for your Mís. We got one back last night though (phew)! I'm getting ready to watch the next game in a half hour!

Elf Winking Smilie
Well today my Cardinals have to go up against Jason Schmidt. He's a real destroyer, but hopefully we can upset him and win this game. Wink Smilie
The Sox are trading Nomar, it seems...to the Cubs, of all teams. It'll be sad to walk around Fenway Park on game days and not hear people yelling 'NOmahhh!' in the way that only Bostonians can...Wink Smilie
It's kind of funny, he went from one team that has a hard time getting to the World Series to the next team that can't make it!!

Quote:
It's kind of funny, he went from one team that has a hard time getting to the World Series to the next team that can't make it!!

From the "Curse of the Bambino" to the "Curse of the Billy Goat"! Super Scared Smilie

I do like Nomar though, I hope he does well with da Cubbies!
Look Around Smilie
Great game last night...well the ending was great. The Cards were having a hard time scoring against the Expos. But that winning home run by King Albert last night was a perfect way to end that game. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
It really has been amazing to watch Pujlos evolve into the player he is today! I think he just became the first player ever in the history of MLB to have at least 30 homers in his first 4 seasons in the bigs!
Super Wow Smilie

I can remember when he was a rookie and McGwire was still with the Cards, and he took Pujlos under his wing. Obviously Albert learned a lot from Big Mac, but he's also worked really hard on his own. He is just a tremendous natural talent, and he may have the best swing in all of baseball now. I think he will come very close to 50 homers by the end of the season!

Another player Iíve really enjoyed watching evolve over the past 5 years or so is Adrian Beltre for the Dodgers. Even though Iím not a Dodger fan, lots of my friends are, and since I live in southern California Iím very in the know with what goes on with that team. Beltreís development over the last few years has been amazing, and he's truly becoming one of the best players in the game!

My Haloís finally took one from the Twins today after losing the first 2 games of the series. Thankfully for us, both Boston and Oakland lost yesterday too, and right now Oakland is losing to the Yanks, so we can pick up a little ground on them today. Up next for us is a 4 game series at Kansas City, and Iím expecting us to win 3 out of 4, weíll see!
Angel Smilie
My Mets have swept their series with the Brewers! Yay Mets! Seems like Seattle is doing better as well. All in all, a good week for my teams. Smoke Smilie
Could somebody please tell me what channel baseball games are played on. Or is it on Sattelite or Cable TV, if so, then I am out of luck. Sad Smilie
I don't know the channel number Fea, but if you have Cable it will be on ESPN. Baseball is also on every Saturday afternoon on your local FOX station.

Sorry Melian, but my team won the first with the Mets. Wink Smilie And hopefully we'll win the next today!

We got Larry Walker, this is great. We have needed another fielder, and we sure got a great one!
I'm tired of crying, "Wait til next year!" and have started, "Wait 'til next decade!"

My team, the Mariners have only won one game this month and are 21-1/2 games out of first place; only the Arizona Diamonbacks have lost more games this year.

But seriously, most of their losses this year have been by only one run, so the individual games have been pretty good. Its just that after a while, those losses add up leaving a bad taste in the mouth and having grown up in neither Boston nor Chicago, I'm turning into a fair weather fan.
Quote:
I'm tired of crying, "Wait til next year!" and have started, "Wait 'til next decade!"

My team, the Mariners have only won one game this month and are 21-1/2 games out of first place; only the Arizona Diamonbacks have lost more games this year.

But seriously, most of their losses this year have been by only one run, so the individual games have been pretty good. Its just that after a while, those losses add up leaving a bad taste in the mouth and having grown up in neither Boston nor Chicago, I'm turning into a fair weather fan.

Hang in there Grondy, I'm sure things will be better for the M's next year! Elf Winking Smilie

Well my Angels have taken the first 3 out of 4 from the Royals, and I'll be watching them go for the sweep tonight! I think we are tied with Boston now for the A.L. wild card spot, and we're only 1.5 games behind the A's for 1st in the A.L. West! Time to make our move!

I'll be at the game on Wednesday night when the Angels play the O's, I can't wait, got front row tickets again!
Super Wow Smilie
Hey, good for you Elfstone, hope you enjoy the game! The Angels are doing quite well the past few games. They have a great chance of being in the playoffs.

After sweeping the Mets we have our eyes set on the Marlins. We have beaten Josh Beckett before, now its time to do so again!
Darn! I knew I jinxed the Mets with my last post! Congrats to the cards though. They are playing really well, as are the A's. I would gladly cheer for either one in the playoffs. A's are looking pretty good too. I was really impressed that one year when they won the world series. They have a lot of heart.

Other than that, I am a little sad that Edgar Martinez is retiring. We knew it was coming though. I know a lot of people have a problem with a DH, but he truley had hitting down to a science.
Quote:
After sweeping the Mets we have our eyes set on the Marlins. We have beaten Josh Beckett before, now its time to do so again!

Somehow I donít think thatís going to be a problem for the Cards! The Josh Beckett of last year is not the same as the Beckett of this year. That dude has been way off all season, plus he hasnít been healthy. Every time heís come off the DL this year he is getting absolutely shelled. I expect the Cards to pounce on him tonight!

Quote:
A's are looking pretty good too. I was really impressed that one year when they won the world series. They have a lot of heart.

Other than that, I am a little sad that Edgar Martinez is retiring. We knew it was coming though. I know a lot of people have a problem with a DH, but he truley had hitting down to a science.

Did you mean the Angels here Melian (they won in 2002)? The Aís havenít won the World Series since 1989.

It is sad to see Edgar go, but that happens when you play sports. At least he will go down as the greatest hitter in Mís history, and he certainly has had a great career!
Elf Smilie
oops! I did mean the Angels! Thanks!
Quote:
It is sad to see Edgar go, but that happens when you play sports. At least he will go down as the greatest hitter in Mís history, and he certainly has had a great career!
Every thing I have read says he isn't retiring until the end of the season, but will be getting more bench time allowing some of the younger players to be evaluated for next year and as possibly to showcase them for trading fodder.

I have been saying to myself all this season that Edgar needed glasses, he isn't seeing the ball like he used to. He has been swinging at too many bad pitches and allowing too many good ones to get by him, or only getting a piece of them. As his legs are old and tired he needs one of his ubiquitous doubles to get on first, a marvelous triple to get on second, and the homers have been too far apart. In this morning's paper it said, "...his eyes don't distinguish the spin on the baseball like they once did." It will be sad to see him go as he is an icon; maybe the Mariners will hire him as a hitting coach, though I don't know if he can pass his tips on to the younger generation; he may not be a teacher.

I still remember his double in the bottom of the ninth to drive Griffey across the plate and into the waiting dogpile as the Mariners knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs in 1995. I still have that teams' poster hanging on my wall: that year along with Edgar and Griffey, we had Randy Johnson, Alex Rodrigez, Jay "Bone" Buhner, and still behind the plate Dan Wilson, with "kick the dirt on the plate" Lou Pennela as manager. Those were the best old days.

And as they still have 51 games remaining to be played this season, I won't say goodbye to Edgar just yet. And when they retire is number on October 2, that's when I'll say, "Thanks for the memories 'Gar."
Well said Grondy. I agree that the Pinella days were the best. It is unfortunate that Edgar will have to leave with no championship, but I guess thats just the way it is. I get sentimental about the players I like and when I know they are getting ready to retire, I try to appreciate them as much as I can in their last season. At least we can say that Edgar has had a great career a really great record to show for it.
Edgar hit a 2 run homer in the first inning last night after taking a standing ovation from the crowd; reminded me of Cal Ripkin's last appearance in the All Star Game (I think it was).
We went on to beat the Twins 4-3 and now we have three wins this month. Jumping Flame Smilie
Three wins? Living large, eh Grondy? Smile Smilie

So who is going to be in the playoffs? I say Cards, Braves, Dodgers, and Cubs for the National League and Yankees and Twins with the West and Wild Card to close for me to decide right now.
Quote:
Three wins? Living large, eh Grondy?
Naw, we now have four: we beat the Twins again by the score of 4 to 3, but they beat us today 6 to 3. I don't look for any wins this weekend because the Yankees are coming to town for three games.

I think you are right Stoney, but figure the Rangers will tank because of the heat and let the Halos and Oakland As to duke it out for the West and Wildcard; however, I'm usually wrong.
Well the Cards will be playing the Braves tonight. This will be interesting to find out who wins. These two teams could very well meet in the playoffs.

The hated Cubs will be playing the Dodgers, hopefully they will get swept. Very Evil Smilie
I had a great time at the game I went to last Wednesday, my Haloís won, and Vladdy hit a homer! Vlad has hit a home run in 3 out of the 4 games Iíve been to so far this year!
Super Wow Smilie

Quote:
So who is going to be in the playoffs? I say Cards, Braves, Dodgers, and Cubs for the National League and Yankees and Twins with the West and Wild Card to close for me to decide right now.

I agree with Cards, Braves, Dodgers in the N.L., but Iím not sure about the wild card yet, most likely the Cubs though. Yanks, Twins, and my Angels as the division winners are my picks for the A.L., and at this point I think it will be the Aís or possibly the Cleveland Indians for the wild card (the Tribe is making a serious move right now). Anyway, weíll see soon enough!

Quote:
I don't look for any wins this weekend because the Yankees are coming to town for three games.

Your boys got one yesterday Grondy! Elf Winking Smilie
Well Stonehelm the Cards took two out of three from the Braves however that game on Sunday was a comedy of errors on the Braves part. I mean they gave us something like 6 runs in the 2nd inning (not that I am complaning) anytime that we beat the Braves, the Cubs or the Mets is a good time for me.

Ashley276
Now we will start the week by chewing the Reds up a bit more. It's good to put as much space between the Cubs as possible.
As they say in my son's favorite move Finding Nemo "To Right Mate" I say put as much space between us and the stinking Cubbies as possible. Although I do like Sammy Sosa I wished that he played for a team other than the Cubs. Of course living here in Colorado all the baseball fans here attribute the Cardinals successes of late to the recently aquiring Larry Walker. I had to politely remind them that the Cardinals were already in first place before the Almighty Larry Walker joined the team.

Ashley276

Going to see the Cards when they are here to wipe up Coors field with the Rockies
All I have to say here for the moment is, BRING ON THE YANKEES!!! Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
I'm with you on that one! I have no love for the Yankies Angry Elf Smilie
Well Elfstone, your Halos are sure letting the light into Yankee insides. You go for the sweep today.

I say the Yankees die first round of the playoffs.

Quote:
Well Elfstone, your Halos are sure letting the light into Yankee insides. You go for the sweep today. I say the Yankees die first round of the playoffs.

HOW SWEEP IT IS!!! I'm so stoked we swept the Yanks, and in NYC no less, that was awesome! Plus Texas, and Oakland both lost yesterday too, so it was a perfect baseball day for me!

I'll tell you one thing for sure, the Yankees definitely don't want to see us again in October, they will be praying we win the A.L. west, and not the wild card, because if we end up being the wild card team, we would play the Yanks in the first round! Halo power!!!
Angel Smilie
  [1] [2] [3] [4] >>