Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Baseball Anyone?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Baseball Anyone?   << [1] [2] [3] [4]
I'm an A's fan, Anneli, but I follow the Giants much more. My father is a police officer and was/is always working at the spring training games in Arizona. He got Mark McGwire's autograph on an A's hat for me when I was in high school Smile Smilie. The minor league team in Phoenix used to feed up to the SF Giants (before we had the Diamondbacks), and my sister was a batgirl for them, she was actually the first batGIRL they ever had.

And I completely agree with you, I don't miss Candlestick whatsoever! Brrrrrr! I have an old World Series t-shirt from the '88 game when the earthquake hit during the World Series though, which is kind of cool. SBC Park is an amazing ballpark.
Quote:
And I completely agree with you, I don't miss Candlestick whatsoever! Brrrrrr! I have an old World Series t-shirt from the '88 game when the earthquake hit during the World Series though, which is kind of cool.

Actually, not to be picky but the Loma Prieta quake was in 1989 (Oct. 17 to be exact), and I remember it like it was yesterday. I lived in the SF bay area then, and was only about 20 minutes away from where the epicenter of that quake was.

I was at my then girlfriends house at the time just sitting down to watch game 3 of the World Series when that quake struck, and then absolute total mayhem broke out! Iíve lived in Cali for most of my life, and Iíve been through hundreds of quakes, and that was the only time Iíve ever been scared of one. Iíll never forget the way the floor and the walls of my then girlfriendsís parentsí home looked as we were running out of the house, very scary!

On another note, I do miss ďthe StickĒ! I have fond memories of Candlestick park because I originally grew up a Giants fan (before becoming an Angels fan), and I saw my first MLB game there when I was 10 (Giants vs. Padres with Vida Blue toeing the rubber for SF)! Plus, when I got old enough to drive, I used to take my little brother to Giants games all the time, and heís 7 years younger than me, so it was awesome to take him to the ballpark when he was 9, and see the look on his face, little kid heaven!

But alas, that was in the days of yore, and I stopped rooting for the Giants a long time ago. I became extremely upset back then when they traded all of my favorite players away! My man Roger Craig was gone, I didnít like the new owners, and when they traded Matty Williams away, and got Bonds that was the last straw for me!

Iíve always hated Bonds, even way before he was a Giant back in his days with the Pirates. I fact, he was my most hated player in all of professional sports back then, and pretty much still is to this day! I knew then that Barry would probably be a Giant for the rest of his career (exactly the way itís ended up playing out), and there was no way in heck I could root for him, or any team he was on.

Anyway, Iíve lived in Southern California for the last 12 years, and Eru willing Iíll be in SB, or at least in the Southern Cali area for the rest of my life so the Angels are my team now, and for the rest of my life! After not having a favorite team for several years, I started kinda liking, and paying attention to the Angels around 1997, and they just slowly, but very surely won me over, and when we got Vladdy Guerrero that was a dream come true for me, because he had been my favorite player in MLB since Big Mac retired.

Now that I get to see Vladdy play every day, I appreciate him even more, and he has without a doubt become not just my favorite MLB player of all time, but my favorite athlete period of all time!

Only about an hour and 15 minutes to go now till we take on Grondyís new look Mís in the second game of a short 2 game series!

Go Haloís!!!!

Angel Smilie
Quote:
Iíve always hated Bonds, even way before he was a Giant back in his days with the Pirates.

LOL..you are one of few who doesn't like Bonds...but I'm not a huge fan of him either...he's kinda cocky isn't he?

I have been to many Angel games also (my aunt lives in Brea and has season tickets)...they are a good team..but I can't like them because I am an A's fan first! It is awful noisy at the Big A...I must say Smile Smilie Overall, it's a nice park though.

Sometimes I miss "the stick" but not the night games! I remember sitting up on the 3rd deck one 4th of July evening and watching a hotdog wrapper fly by me......then about 5 minutes later come back again...and back and forth...over and over the same dang wrapper. The winds are fierce there. Then the fog rolled in...and since we were sitting so high up we couldn't see the game anymore...sittin in the fog! lol

Those were the days Smile Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4]