Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Family Recipes

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Forsaken Inn > Family Recipes   
Since the holidays are coming up, I thought it'd be a neat idea to share some old family or traditional recipes. This should be fun to see what people post, since a lot of us are from different countries.

I'll start with what I'm drinking right now: Spiced Tea... perfect for cold winter nights
Take about equal amounts of Tang Orange Drink Mix , Nestea (unsweetened), and sugar and mix them together. I usually put it all in an empty coffee can or ziplock bag and shake it up.
Pour the tea mix into a microwavable glass and heat for about 1 minute. Take out, drink and enjoy!
Fantastic idea!

My grandmother makes the best stroganoff ever, and it makes a great meal for cold nights, and also a yummy midnight(anytime) snack:

Oven Beef Stroganoff by Beverly Hendrickson
Prep time: approx. 30 minutes, Cook time: approx. 2 hours total, feeds 4-6

2 Tablespoons Butter
2 pounds round steak or milanesa(beef), cut into thin strips-you could probably use any kind of beef if it is thin enough...even pre-cooked, shredded roast meat would work well!
1 medium red onion, chopped finely
3 tablespoons of flour
1/4 cup tomato paste
1-10 and 1/2 ounce can of beef consomme
1/2 cup of dry red wine
1 and 1/2 teaspoons each of salt and worcestershire sauce, adjust to taste
2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
3 additional tablespoons of butter
3/4 cup of dairy sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown meat in 1 tbsp. of butter until dark brown(braised), then transfer to a dutch oven or casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid. Add onion into frying pan, with remaining butter and saute until just glazed(as soon as the onion goes "clear"). Sprinkle onion with flour, cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, consomme, wine, salt, worcestershire and garlic. Bring just to a boil and pour over sitting meat. Cover tightly and bake in preheated oven for 1 and 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Saute the mushrooms in additional butter, add sour cream and stir well. Add sour cream mixture to meat mixture and stir well until combined. Serve over hot cooked egg noodles, white rice, or plain risotto.

This recipe usually feeds my family of five quite well, with some leftovers to boot, but not much, because it seems to disappear fast! Bon apetite!
Okay, no whole recipies from me, just some advice about bringing out flavours in your stews, casseroles, curries etc.....

Ever noticed how these "special" made recipies by "Mamma Mia" etc for bolognases etc, always contain one secret ingredient? This secret ingredient is usually a long established family secret, passed down, mother to daughter from Great Granny Mia, and is never revealed even under pain of death. And why not, might we ask?

It's not because it's some magic ingredient at all, but because if the public knew what it really was, no one would ever buy the product again. How would you feel, after all, buying a product that listed as one of its ingredients a glob of spit? Far better to keep that fact closely guarded and market it as a "secret" selling point.

What is Val talking about, you might well be asking? Well the flavour in sauces comes from the breakdown during cooking of the meat and veggies etc. Proteins, however, take a long time to break down normally, but the body has developed an enzyme, Salivary Amylase, which speeds up this process a thousand-fold. To really bring out the meat flavours, therefore, you need to add a little saliva (spit). Some French chiefs also do this by gargling the wine they are about to add to their cooking.

There you go then. Happy cooking.... Just remember to keep the secret ingredient secret, otherwise you'll find no one actually wants to taste what you've just made.
Well we have a family recipe with peers and amaretto. Unfortunately my mother is in South America for some weeks, so I will see if I can round up my famous brownie recipe instead.
Quote:
so I will see if I can round up my famous brownie recipe instead.

Waiting eagerly for this recipe Wiggle Smilie