Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: only for greatest tolkien fans

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > only for greatest tolkien fans   [1] [2] >>
Pity them, offer them some tea. Explain to them formally and systematically that they are jaded, degenerate hollywood clones that need some serious consuling. Who in there right mind think's lotr is excrement?
Pretend you don't understand them.
Just tell them to #$%#& Big Smile Smilie
Lol Einar!

Naah, just ignore them. You go with what YOU like and just ignore their opinions. WE all know they're wrong anyway, right? Wink Smilie
You might also like to point out that LOTR was voted by a number of polls to be THE book of the century.

The movie has also made a bundle of money, so can all those people be so wrong?

Quote:
I feel lucky that I have the capacity to enjoy myth and fiction and that I'm open to broader concepts of the mind.

It is indeed a special gift that not everyone receives. Big Smile Smilie

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Like they say, one man's meat is another man's poison. As long as YOU like the book, who cares what others think? Big Smile Smilie
my solution would be to punch the lovely fellow out if he's smaller than you or if he's bigger kick him in the sandwiches.

but i geuss thats why somebody suggesed i take anger management.

oh i'm kidding but just argue they don't no blackberries or ignore em

Moderator SmilieWatch the ****ing language mate! Wink Smilie Moderator Smilie

[Edited on 17/2/2003 by PlasticSquirrel]
You could use a few grammar courses along with that anger management Elfman. Smoke Smilie
When you are angry you don't have time to think about grammar. Maybe when the anger is under controll, the spelling will get better. Wink Smilie
Quote:
i want ask you how do you feel when somebody tells you that LOTR is 's**t' Sad Smilie Mad Smilie Very Sad Smilie

I feel a challenge coming on, and the ask them "why?" you'll find none of them have a terribly coherent argument.
Usually something along the lines of "Too many big words... not enough pictures."

[Edited on 2/17/2003 by ProgHead777]
I know people who doesn't like LOTR because they don't like the movies yet doesn't have the brains to pick up the book, read it and experience the story in their own views and imaginations. They're probably too scared to find out that they were wrong and we are right - LOTR is great after all! (or maybe they don't understand the words) Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Quote:
Usually something along the lines of "Too many big words... not enough pictures."

[Edited on 2/17/2003 by ProgHead777]

Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie LOL! Before I started picking up LOTR, I figure it would be too time-consuming and takes me too much away from the games Tongue Smilie ...hey, I heard horror stories that it takes months to read it...though I will never insult any book that I have not read and I have never insulted the book LOTR!
Yeah, before I first read LotR I thought it was going to be really boring, but of course when I read it I found out otherwise! But I still know lots of people who have started to read it and stopped because they thought it was too long and boring. Shocked Smilie
Quote:
I feel lucky that I have the capacity to enjoy myth and fiction and that I'm open to broader concepts of the mind.
Guess they're just not those kind of people!
no one would dare say that LoTR was ***t infront of me. they would get their **s kicked. really. im serious. im not very nice when it comes to insulting pure genius work because your a jerk.
Quote:
i want ask you how do you feel when somebody tells you that LOTR is 's**t' Sad Smilie Mad Smilie Very Sad Smilie

[Edited on 15/2/2003 by Valedhelgwath]

I make them read it. Wink Smilie
I'll ask why they don't like LotR and if they have read the books.Then I'll ask them how much they know about LotR and what they have based their conclusion on. Do they know anything about the person who wrote it? Do they know what the story is about? When it was written? I really want to know why they don't like it and I'm convinced they can't give me a good answer. And I want a good answer not a, I-don't-like-it-cause-everybody-else-like-it kinda answer! I have heard too many of them!
Their loss, our gain! We know the truth, and that’s what really matters, and we’re the real lucky ones because we get to reap the harvest of Tolkien’s treasures. One of the greatest joys of my life has been discovering Tolkien, and all of his wonderful works. Reading Tolkien has truly enriched my life, and made me a better person. I truly feel sorry for all the people who are missing out (and I try to turn people on all the time), but I honestly feel that you have to be what I call a “seeker” to really find Tolkien, and to understand what the magic is all about. That’s part of the problem with the world today; there just aren’t too many seekers out there anymore (seekers are special, but that’s a whole nother 5 page essay). The other problem is that a lot of people are incredibly misinformed. I hate to say it, but in my country (U.S.A.) it seems like to me that half the people who live here are just too freaking lazy, and nobody reads anymore (a big reason why half the people in America don’t know anything about politics, or current events). They don’t have the time, don’t have the attention span (small brain syndrome from too much T.V., and media bombardment), or reading is just too much work, and the big words make their heads hurt. There are just too many people these days that live in a bubble, and only care about themselves, and material possessions.

I really liked what Celebrian had to say, and I agree that’s the proper way to handle the situation. The next time someone says they don’t like Tolkien, or LOTR, ask them why they don’t like it, and I’d be willing to bet good money that they can’t give you a good answer, or make any kind of intelligent argument.
Elf Winking Smilie
I really like what you said about seekers Elfstone, I agree with you. And Celebrian, what you said about I-don't-like-it-cause-everybody-else-likes-it really annoys me as well. I mean, just because something is rather mainstream, doesn't mean you should turn it off for no reason. Though I suppose it goes give people prestige, makes them think they are eccentric.
Sugar in the gas tank......... thats the ticket!
It depends on if they mean the book or the films!

If it's the books I tear them a new paper doily!

If it's the film I support them wholehartedly!

[Edited on 10/3/2003 by Valedhelgwath]
We all know you would Ross. Tongue Smilie Wink Smilie
Just glad that people recognise me for my true self! Wink Smilie
I would´ve asked him/her if they have read the books...if they have then I would have a debate about what they think is bad and so cleaning the air so she/he could come to their senses....if they haven´t read them I would advise them to do so and after they had read it and realised that I was right, I would´ve........SMACKED THEIR SKULL IN AND SAY: I BL**DY TOLD YOU SO YOU FR**KING SCHM*CK!!!

So to conclude my post I would´ve been civilized to the end...don´t you agree?Smoke Smilie

[Edited on 25/3/2003 by Aulë]
I agree wholeheaterdly with you Aule! Wink Smilie
Hehehe Thank you Ross for the support! Smoke Smilie
Mmm, i wonder if danijelciglenjak meant the LoTR books or the LoTR movies... bcoz in the last case i wouldn't be sure what to answer to the person who would consider 'LoTR s$$t'.

The movies are **** if you think compare it to the books....don´t think about it that way....you will only hate the movies if you do so....think about the movies as PJ´s way to show his appreciation towards Tolkien himself....I mean PJ DID DO a good job on a movie....not really a good job on the lord of the rings but A MOVIE!!! Do you follow me mates? Smoke Smilie

(Now what did I say about ****s Aule?- Plastic)

[Edited on 27/3/2003 by PlasticSquirrel]
Quote:
So true Stony! Those people are missing the swan ship! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Right, we in the know get to sail from the Greyhavens in one of Cirdan's vessels, while they in their ignorance, get to sail over Rauros on a log. Cool Elf Smilie
It depends. If they had read it all the way through, and not liked it, I'd think they were a thickheaded numskull that there is no hope for.

If it were a person who had seen the movie, but not read the book, I would tell them to read the book and don't jump to conclusions, because you're often times wrong.

If they hadn't seen the movie or read the book, I'd walk away disgusted.

And if it was one of those people that don't like it because (at the moment) it's 'cool,' I'd slap 'em upside the head.

I totally agree with you Beleg, but the other day i was reading the third book and one of my classmates came up to me and saw what i was reading and she said that she read the hobbit and could't finish fotr because it was sooo boring. at first i was like "what!!!???, no way, u'r kidding me!!! right???!!" Shocked Smilie but she was serious. well i guess that people are different and have different tastes, and i can't say that those people who think that lotr is boring are lucky Tongue Smilie
Quote:
well i guess that people are different and have different tastes, and i can't say that those people who think that lotr is boring are lucky Tongue Smilie

It's probably way to over their simple minds to understand! Wink Smilie
Quote:
It's probably way to over their simple minds to understand!

Yeah, I'll bet they are just now understanding 'Fire hot ' and 'Food good'. Big Smile Smilie
I know a lot of ppl who think LOTR is rubbish. I give them the look or evil eye So Angry Smilie , and ask them why. I ususally get a stupid answer. About that time I walk away and don't talk to them for about a month. By that time they figure out why and start to read the book. When they get done they apologize to me and reccomend others to read the book. But, there are still ppl out there who think it is rubbish and will never read it and miss out on the best book ever written.
Ahh well, I think some people just don't understand how wonderful Tolkien really is. They have never read anything that is close to LoTR so they don't know how good it is.
Quote:
Ahh well, I think some people just don't understand how wonderful Tolkien really is. They have never read anything that is close to LoTR so they don't know how good it is.

So true Stony! Those people are missing the swan ship! Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
Good one Grondy! It is so true!!

Sure are a lot of people on logs aren't there??
Yup, good one Grondy! I got a chuckle out of it! Maybe I can start a new business selling logs?
Tongue Smilie
Most ppl i've heard say that have never read a book unless they had to 4 school.

[Edited on 24/7/2003 by Grondmaster]
I feel sorry for people who dont like the books or the movies they are missing out on so much but its true that eveyone has different tastes and understandings of things
Quote:
want ask you how do you feel when somebody tells you that LOTR is 's**t'

Its possible that the person is superficial & ignorant, or just trying to piss you off.
Don't take it serious when some one says that, just roll your eyes and walk away...
my pal lurves Star Trek, and keeps saying stupid stuff from it. She also says Tolkien works are ****, but I wish I could remember some witty lines from Tolkien. I know zillions of the verse, but it just doesn't quite match the way she always says some gunk like 'Quantum Slipstream Drive' ??????? What ??????

Er.... Battered Orcheads on toast... no , it doesn't say that in anyof his books....
Quote:
Er.... Battered Orcheads on toast... no , it doesn't say that in anyof his books....
"Bar-B-Q'd Balrog Wings!!!"

Works for me and you may quote me if you like. It is topical: Do they or do they not have wings, and if they do, aren't they already naturally flame-broiled, unless of course they are made of smoke and flame and actually do the Bar-B-Q'ing?

Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
You know Grondy, we could run a resturant, you and I.
Here's the menu-

Starter-

Battered orcheads on toast
Uruk-hai blood cake... mmmmm....

Mains-

Bar B Qued Balrog wings ( with extra potato)
Light and whippy Nazgul guts... not YET available...

Dessert-

Frodo's half digested finger- limited edition, made by our new cook, the reincarnated Gollum!!

And er... ice cream for the squeamish.

So, Trekky... no more Slipstream drives for you... more like Balrog wings in gravy. m- mmmm.....
Don't forget the Uruk-Hai toes!
When someone tells me that they think LotR is sh*t, they're just plain suicidal. I'll duct tape them to a chair and force them to watch the movie, so they won't think its so boring. Then, I'll make them read the book to have them know the TRUE version. My friend once said he liked the Hobbit, but he hated LotR and thought it was boring. When I asked him why, he said it had too many details and was too descriptive. You WANT a descriptive book, so it's like a movie in your head, am I right?
No matter the reason, it's obvious we here all love LOTR, but there always will be people with different tastes, people who don´t like reading, people who say Tolkien is teenage literature, etc. But, should we care? I think we shouldn't. I sometimes even feel as if I have this passion, this love for something and those who don't share it just lose their chance to enjoy what I have, but it makes me feel unique and special to have this thing that is mine, and makes me dream, cry, laugh, feel... waht if other people don´t like it? That doesn't make them wrong or anything, as long as I have this world to enjoy, I don't care if others don't want to share it
The last person who told me LOTR was "boring, too hard to read, to many people..." got forced to read the book. I then dragged her to the Dec. 17 showing of ROTK and let her digest that. Then we played LOTR Scrabble, and in several days, she was cured. The person who told me it was s**t, though...They ain't around to complain no more.

If people tell me it's boring, to hard to read, etc. I just tell them my LOTR reading record (18 3/4 times) tell them they're lazy blankety-blank-blanks, and perhaps break my nose. I was once told I had "The rage of Feanor" but I don't think that's true...
Tigger Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie Tigger Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie Tigger Smilie

Has someone been forgetting to take their lithium?

Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I know my sis went to TTT for a birthday party and she fell asleep!!! I was like how can you fall asleep in that movie!!! Especially in theaters!!! All that action going on!!!
  [1] [2] >>