Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Interesting and useful stuff

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > Interesting and useful stuff   << [1] [2] [3] >>
More people are injured by cats, dogs, and pigs
each year then by Great White Sharks.

A 70 pound octopus can squeeze through a hole no bigger then a silver dollar because it has no backbone.

A group of toads is a knot and a prickle is a group of porcupines.

Orcas, also known as killer whales, are not whales but are the largest member of the dolphin family.

The longest recorded life span of a tapeworm was 35 year.

A purple finch is really crimson in color.

A male Angler fish attaches itself to a female and never lets go. Their vascular systems unite and the male becomes entirely dependent on the female's blood for nutrition. (Kinda reminds me of human males...) Wink Smilie

Penguins can jump almost 6 feet into the air.

Bengal tigers are the most water loving of the big cats. They will even chase prey into the water.

There are more sheep in Australia than people.

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

An elephant's trunk can hold up to 1 1/2 gallons of liquid.

An African ostrich egg weighs almost 30 pounds and is so strong a 200 pound man can stand on it without it breaking.

When it is born, a kangaroo is only 1 inch long.

A shark can grow a new set of teeth in a week.

GrevBukMcJern, don't feel bad about knowing things like this, my 3rd grade teacher called me "the walking encyclopedia" after I wrote a 2-page report on the mummification process in ancient Egypt! My mom still calls me the guru of useless information! Tongue Smilie Big Smile Smilie

[Editat el 1/5/2003 per Andrea]
Quote:
8 minutes.. 8.3 actually..

Though a little longer around teatime... Wink Smilie
Quote:
Are you also studying in Eelstrait
Hahahaa! I really had to think a while about what you meant, I don't expect other people to have the same strange sense of humor as I have so I don't get it when I see it! Big Laugh Smilie

Yep, I'm in Eelstrait too.
Quote:
The sand cat is able to survive without drinking water.
Really? How long for, because I can survive without water, just not for very long.
Quote:
Do you know that you can't fold a paper in half more than 7 times? It is impossible!
Right, if you start with a normal sheet of typing paper about 21 cm wide by 28 cm high, after the sixth fold it will be about 3 cm wide by 4 cm high, but will then be about 1 cm thick and stiff as a board. Try it and see.
Whoohooo! After the times of feeling useless from the start of this thread, I can finally contribute to this great topic!

Do you know that you can't fold a paper in half more than 7 times? It is impossible! If you don't cheat and actually fold it in half 7 times that is. Great for betting with clueless people for chump change! Wink Smilie
Quote:
Do you know that you can't fold a paper in half more than 7 times? It is impossible!
But if you use silver paper, or tin foil, and hammer it flat between folds, not only can you manage more than seven folds, but eventually you begin forming some seriously sharp edges too.

Okay this may be cheating somewhat, but a few minutes ago I managed to fold a piece of paper eight times. The trick is to use a piece of tissue paper. It too gets stuck after the seventh fold, but I found that by then soaking it in water, I managed an eighth fold (after which I had a cube and could go no further without fetching my hammer from the shed)
Human birth control pills work on gorillas.
The female lion does ninety percent of the hunting.
Tuatara lizards, from New Zealand, have two eyes in the center of their heads and a third one on top of their heads.
Giraffes can't cough.
Elephants can smell water from as far away as three miles.
Birds cannot go into outer space, because they use gravity to assist them in swallowing, so they'd quickly choke and die in a non-gravity environment.
Baby robins eat 14 feet of earthworms per day.
The Kiwi, national bird of New Zealand, can't fly. It lives in a hole in the ground, is almost blind and lays only one egg each year. Despite this, it has survived for more than 10 thousand years.
A car traveling at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour would take over 48 million years to reach the nearest star (other than our sun), Proxima Centauri. This is about 685,000 average human lifetimes.
Theaters in Glendale, California can show horror films only on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
Lawn darts are illegal in Canada.Vermont, Alaska, Hawaii, and Maine are the four states in the U.S. that do not allow billboards.
Hypnotism is banned by public schools in San Diego.
The writers of The Simpsons have never revealed what state Springfield is in.In Lehigh, Nebraska, its against the law to sell donut holes
In Idaho a citizen is forbidden by law to give another citizen a box of candy that weighs more than 50 pounds.
Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn’t wear pants.
Most humans can guess someone’s sex with 95% accuracy just by smelling their breath
The same man who led the attack on the Alamo, Mexican Military General, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, is also credited with the invention of chewing gum.
The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor who had red eyes. He was albino.
Colgate faced a big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command "go hang yourself."
Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."
There are more telephones than people in Washington DC.
Hawaii is the only state in the United States where male life expectancy exceeds 70 years. Hawaii also leads all states in life expectancy in general, with an average of 73.6 years for both males and females
Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries
As of September 1998, the highest recorded mileage for a car was 1,615,000 miles for a 1966 Volvo P-1800.
Mr. Peanut was invented in 1916 by a Suffolk, Virginia schoolchild who won $5 in a design contest sponsored by Planters Peanuts.
Native Americans never actually ate turkey; killing such a timid bird was thought to indicate laziness.
When Gerber baby foods began to sell in parts of Africa, they continued to use their usual packaging, with the cute baby on the front. They didn't realize until later that where they were selling it, it was a common practice to help illiterate people buy things by putting pictures on the wrapper of what was inside.
The number 57 on a Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickle the company once had.
For beer commercials, they add liquid detergent to the beer to make it foam more.
You should not eat a crawfish with a straight tail. It was dead before it was cooked.
There are 2,000,000 different combinations of sandwiches that can be created from a SUBWAY menu.
The wheat that produces a one-pound loaf of bread requires 2 tons of water to grow.
Though most people think of salt as a seasoning, only 5 out of every 100 pounds produced each year go to the dinner table.
The only nation whose name begins with an "A", but doesn't end in an "A" is Afghanistan.
Theodore Roosevelt was blind in his left eye.
WOW!! *fall to my knees and worship in Andreas assumed direction* Wink Smilie

Where did you get all of that from? I particulary enjoyed the explanation of the idiom "to get fired" Big Smile Smilie

Fun fact: The matter in the Universe consists of 75% Hydrogen, 25% Helium and less than one per cent other stuff, by astro-physicists usually called metals. This is what we and the rest of the planets are made of!

All the helium in the Universe was created in about three minutes! Only in this three minute time-window was the Universe warm enough for hydrogen to fuse to helium, and yet cold enough for the newly-formed helium to not be ripped apart again. Making Out Smilie

All the carbon in the world (which almost all life on earth are based upon) has been created in type 1A supernova-explotions.. Jumping Flame Smilie
Quote:
48 million years to reach the nearest star (other than our sun), Proxima Centauri. This is about 685,000 average human lifetimes.

Popular misconseption. This is not our nearest star appart from the sun, it is Banard Star!
And there may be a few rogue Brown Dwarf stars closer too; however they are so cool we may not have yet noticed them.
If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy.)

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates intercourse by ripping the male's head off.

The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.

Humans and dolphins are the only species on Earth that have sex for pleasure.

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds. (What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than
left-handed people. (If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?

Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump. (OK, so that would be a good thing....)

A cat's urine glows under a black light. (I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. (I know some people like that.)

Starfish have no brains. (I know some people like that too.)

Polar bears are left-handed. (If they switch, they'll live a lot longer.)
Someone has probably already mentioned this and I apologise if they have.

Did you know that you can`t lick your elbow?

Silly isn`t it.

Scrowl down this waste of space...please...sorry if this takes up space...

it`s so no one cheats...

I bet that once you`ve read this information...that you`ve tried to lick your elbow. Big Smile Smilie

Quote:
Polar bears are left-handed. (If they switch, they'll live a lot longer.)
I think if you were to count you would find Polar bears don't have any hands, but actually have two left paws on one side and two right paws on the other. I leave it up to you to figure out which paws are on which side. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Or do they have front paws and hind feet?

Sheryl: Can you touch your elbows together behind your back Question Smilie
Our nearest evolutionary siblings the Boboa Chimpaanzee's have sex to greet each other (just as we bow our shake hands).
How do you even respond to that??? Big Laugh Smilie
Most probably with a post-coital cigarette! Big Laugh Smilie
-The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
-Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.
-Men can read smaller print than women can but women can hear better.
-Coca Cola was originally green.
-The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
-The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%
-The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
-The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $6,400 (£3,875)
-The average number of people airborne over the US any given hour: 61,000
-Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
-The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
-The youngest pope was 11 years old.
-The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.
-Those San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.
-Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:
Spades- King David,
Hearts- Charlemagne,
Clubs- Alexander, the Great
Diamonds- Julius Caesar
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
-If a statue in a park has a person on a horse, and the hrose has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
-"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
-Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.
-Conception occurs more often in December than any other month
-Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of their birthplace
-Most boat owners name their boats, and “Obsession” is the most popular boat name
-If you were to spell out numbers, you would have to spell until one thousand to reach the letter “A”
-What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common? All invented by women.
-Honey is the only food that doesn't spoil.
-There are more collect calls on Father's Day than any other day of the year
-Mel Blanc (voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
-In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"
-Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.
Quote:
-If a statue in a park has a person on a horse, and the hrose has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
Then you should go to La Roche Sur Yon and shout at the mayor as tehy have a atatue of Napoleon and his horse has one leg in the air.

Bury is where Sir Robert Peel is from. The sculpture of his statue put the buttons on the wrong side of the waist coat, so comited suicide!
On my uncle's farm he has a barn that is two miles long and two miles wide and two feet high.

On my uncle's farm it got so cold that had to defrost the cows before they could milk them.

Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Quote:
On my uncle's farm it got so cold that had to defrost the cows before they could milk them.
That reminds me of a joke.
Two Welsh farmers talking in a pub. One says "My cows all froze the other week, so I got this woman in. She rubbed her hands and touched all my cows and the defrosted and came back to life!"
The other farmer says "That's amazing, whats she called?"
The Frist farmer responds "Thor'a'herd!" Big Laugh Smilie
Did you know .........

1. A crocodile can't stick it's tongue out.

2. A shrimp's heart is in their head.

3. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.

4. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. if you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.

5. In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

6. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

7. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

8. Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphabetic Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.

9. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

10. Rats and horses can't vomit. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.

11. The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

12. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

13. In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

14. 23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.

15. In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.

16. Most lipstick contains fish scales.

17. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

[Edited on 15/6/2003 by Naira]
25% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment Wink Smilie
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ewwww!!!! i'm paranoid to sleep now Paranoid Smilie thanks
Quote:
3. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
Hmmm.. not quite right I think. We say "(God) bless you" because in the old days people belived that sneezing came from a deamon or evil spirit posessing you. Gods blessing would make it go away. Big Smile Smilie
That's true Amarie. Smile Smilie Actually what I posted was info on sneezing causing the heart to stop, saying bless you is supposedly because of that. So, logically, people should say bless you because you are still alive after sneezing, but the saying wasn't created from that info, it's just a suggestion.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

ewwww!!!! i'm paranoid to sleep now thanks

Haha, don't blame me, I only put what I found. But it is disgusting Dead Smilie
Actually you can lick your elbow but first you have to dislocate your arm..dont try it had home kids cause it is sore trust me
Ok... that's a little strange Asteroth.... Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie but good job!

Here's 25 facts about death/ dead people: Big Smile Smilie
1. In Miami in August, Levon Howard lost a shoot-out with his roommate Edwin Heyliger. Howard had broken into Heyliger's room, angry that someone had drunk his Kool-Aid, and in the ensuing argument, both scrambled for guns.
2. In 1933 a 19 year-old student, Kiyoko Matsumoto, committed suicide by jumping into the thousand foot crater of a volcano on the island of Oshima, Japan. This act started a bizarre fashion in Japan and in the ensuing months three hundred children did the same thing.
3. Erwin, TN is the only place where an elephant has been hanged for murder.
4. The world's worst lifeguard has to be Lorenzo Trippi of Ravenna, Italy. In 1995, three people on three separate occasions wound up dead thanks to Lorenzo's efforts to save them. In each case, he hit all three of them on the head with his life preserver, causing them to black out and drown.
5. Aeschylus, the Greek poet and dramatist, was killed when an eagle flying overhead dropped a turtle on his head.
6. A poodle fell from a balcony in Buenos Aires in October 1988. It killed three people. One was struck on the head, the second run over by a bus while watching, the third witnessed the event and died from a heart attack.
7. A colonel in the Ivory Coast army was fatally wounded by gunfire as he tested a "magic" belt supposedly with powers to protect him from bullets. Colonel Pascal Gbah, 49, died after being hit by a bullet fired from his own service pistol by a 20-year-old son of the magic belt's maker. Ghah's cousin Andre Gondo made the belt as insisting that its protective powers were real, provided one abstained from sex while wearing it.
8. Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people!
9. Lincoln was shot on April 14, 1865 on Good Friday and in 1995 Good Friday was also on April 14. When Booth shot Lincoln, some people thought it was part of the play.
10. In 1609, a doctor named Wecker found a corpse in Bologna with two penises. Since then, there have been eighty documented cases of this condition.
11. One October, at the Jervis Lumb pub in Sheffield, England, there was a bit of a party going on, Mr. Ian Clifton, 35, had enjoyed nearly a dozen pints of larger, and an unknown quantity of punch. Ian's friends noticed he'd gone a bit quiet, and decided to have a bit of fun with their friend. They shaved one side of his head, then took pictures of him posed with an inflatable doll. Then they noticed he was really quiet, quieter than he should have been. The paramedics said he'd probably been dead (acute alcohol poisoning) for a good hour before they were called.
12. In Italy, it is illegal to make coffins out of anything except nutshells or wood.
13. In Britain 2 women, Anuban Bell and Sunee Whitworth, were killed in 1999 by lightning conducted through their underwire bras, according to the West London Coroner's Office.
14. In sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Peking, one took revenge against one's enemies by placing finely chopped tiger whiskers in their food. The whisker barbs would get caught in the victim's digestive tract and cause sores and infections, and eventually death.
15. When Mark Twain was born on Nov 30, 1835, Halley's comet was visible over Florida, Missouri. Mark Twain predicted in 1909 that he would die when it returned. He was right. When he died on April 21, 1910, Halley's comet was once again visible in the sky.
16. Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham Lincoln, was present at the assassinations of three presidents: his father's, President Garfield's, and President McKinley's. After the last shooting, he refused ever to attend a state affair again.
17. Since 1978, at least 37 people died as a result of shaking vending machines, in an attempt to get free merchandise. More than 100 have been injured.
18. More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
19. In many European countries, on the night of the "Feast of Samhain" (Oct. 31), people believed that deceased relatives could walk the earth. A "dumb supper" is the custom of setting extra places at a dinner table, for the dead, and eating the meal in silence, in honor of those who can no longer speak.
20. The ancient Druids had a three-day celebration at the beginning of November. They believed that on the last night of October spirits of the dead roamed abroad, and so they would light bonfires to drive them away. The Celts used to carve lanterns from turnips and carried them through the villages.
21. Murderer John Horwood was hanged on April 13, 1821. His skin was used to bind a book describing the dissection of his body by surgeon Richard Smith.
22. On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
23. The infamous Black Plague in Europe was due in part to the fact that people believed those with cats were witches. So all the cats were rounded up, caged and burned, leaving the rats (with there disease causing parasites) to run free and multiply. Those harbouring cats were many who survived.
24. In 1980, the Yellow Pages accidentally listed a Texas funeral home under frozen foods.
25. John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in a theatre and was found in a warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and was found in a theatre.
Quote:

2. In 1933 a 19 year-old student, Kiyoko Matsumoto, committed suicide by jumping into the thousand foot crater of a volcano on the island of Oshima, Japan. This act started a bizarre fashion in Japan and in the ensuing months three hundred children did the same thing.

That's really strange and sad. Sad Smilie

1. After a frog sheds its skin, it eats it.
2. Salamanders can grow back limbs.
3. The Great Wall of China can NOT be seen from the moon.
4. Hinduism is the oldest religion. (that is, if you don't count any religion the Neandrethals might have had, etc...)
5. The only animal that eats hedgehogs are badgers.
India has 28 states, in each state there is a different language. You can tell what the language is called by looking at the name of the state: in Tamil Nadu, they speak Tamil, in Punjab, Punjabi.
6. Old Indian culture is found more in the South, because in the North there were lots of invaders.
7. Indian languages stem from either Sanskrit or Dravidian.
8. After building the Taj Mahal, Shajahan cut off the hands of the workers so they could never build anything else.
9. The Younger Edda was found in an Icelandic farmhouse.
10. The Gypsies language stems from Sanskrit, as they started out in India.
11. Euskara (Basque), Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian are the only European languages that have not been connected to the Indo-European language tree. Euskara and Hungarian are both agglutinating languages.
12. As a last resort against dying of thirst, Arabs killed their camels and drank the water in their stomachs.

In 1967 the CIA fitted a cat with high-tech listening equipment. Ten minutes after the cat was released it was struck and killed by a taxi!
Quote:

25. John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in a theatre and was found in a warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and was found in a theatre.

Lincoln was elected in 1860, and Kennedy was elected in 1960. Lincoln's secretary's last name was Kennedy, and Kennedy's secretary's last name was Lincoln.
Quote:
Quote:

Lincoln was elected in 1860, and Kennedy was elected in 1960. Lincoln's secretary's last name was Kennedy, and Kennedy's secretary's last name was Lincoln.
Lincoln's Vice President's last name was Johnson (Andrew) just as was Kennedy's (Lyndon Baines Johnson).
Lattest research points to Kennedy being shot from the storm drain due to the trajectory of the bullet and the hole in the floor of the car!
When Lincoln was shot, he was in a car called Kennedy. When Kennedy was shot, he was in a car called Lincoln. (I think.)

Not long before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, Maryland. ... . Big Laugh Smilie

[Edited on 24/6/2003 by Allyssa]
Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4, 1826. The fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. As we all know, Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration in committee with John Adams (and Benjamin Franklin).

After George Washington retired from the Presidency, John Adams became President and Thomas Jefferson became Vice-President. The two men had disagreed politically throughout the Washington Administration, and were only both elected because in those days, whomever came in second in the Presidential vote became Vice-President. During the Adams Administration, the two differed on almost every issue, and Jefferson defeated Adams and took the Presidency in 1800. To make a long story short, although they had worked together in the cause for independence, Adams and Jefferson became truly bitter enemies when political parties began to form around each of them.

Luckily, Adams and Jefferson reconciled in their retirement and they became the absolute best of friends as they lived out their final years. Both men were conscious of living to see the fiftieth Fourth of July, and men, despite knowing they were on their death beds, made genuine efforts to hang on to dear life until the day had come.

John Adams's final words were, "Thomas Jefferson survives." But he was wrong. Jefferson had died just hours earlier at Monticello.

Five years to the day after Adams and Jefferson died the fifth President, James Monroe, passed away.
Quote:
When Lincoln was shot, he was in a car called Kennedy. When Kennedy was shot, he was in a car called Lincoln. (I think.)

Not long before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, Maryland. ... . Big Laugh Smilie
When Lincoln was shot, he was in a theatre called Ford. When Gerald Ford was the thirty-eighth President of the United States (1974-1977), he often visited the J.F. Kennedy Center of Performing Arts.
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

A snail can sleep for three years.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet.

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious."

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt."

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand; lollipop" with your right. The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The Bible does not say there were three wise men; it only says there were three gifts.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.
Reverse isn't a palendrome!
Neither is Palindrome, and amusingly enough, Onomatapoeia is not Onamatopoeic...
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.

Almonds are members of the peach family.

In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an average of 6 months waiting at a red light.

In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life."

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is screeched.

The only 15-letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable."

There are only four words in the English language that end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

There is a word in the English language with only one vowel, which occurs five times: indivisibility.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Quote:
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20

Lol, that made me laugh a little
Quote:
If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an average of 6 months waiting at a red light.

I'd believe it, but it seems like it should be longer...
Quote:
Quote:
I'd believe it, but it seems like it should be longer...

No! That should be: "I believe it, but sometimes it seems longer." Jumping Flame Smilie
It is has been reported by different studies that 100,000 to 500,000 newborns are accidentally switched at birth every year -- and given to wrong parents! According to the 1998 Edition of the Tanderberg Report, (an annual medical study by sociologist Dr. Morton Tanderberg, and as reported by Ann Victoria in Weekly World News, p. 22, on 9-8-98), 500,000 or 1 out of every 8 babies born in American hospitals is sent home with the wrong parents. In many cases, these oversights are caught and corrected within a few days and the babies are returned to their mothers. But on the other end of the scale, Dr. Tanderberg says that in some overcrowded facilities, particularly in large metropolitan areas like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, the number of switched babies could be considerably higher -- possibly as high as 3 out of 8. This is probably why the tv soap operas and talk shows never run out of of "switched at birth" stories.
Did you know;

Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button

Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.

Researchers have shot footage of (notice the name!) Orcas attacking and killing great white sharks. Orcas are killer whales.
Antarctic Treaty Summary - the Antarctic Treaty, signed on 1 December 1959 and entered into force on 23 June 1961, establishes the legal framework for the management of Antarctica. The 24th Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting was held in Russia in July 2001. At the end of 2001, there were 45 treaty member nations: 27 consultative and 18 non-consultative. Consultative (voting) members include the seven nations that claim portions of Antarctica as national territory (some claims overlap) and 20 nonclaimant nations. The US and Russia have reserved the right to make claims. The US does not recognize the claims of others. Antarctica is administered through meetings of the consultative member nations. Decisions from these meetings are carried out by these member nations (within their areas) in accordance with their own national laws. The year in parentheses indicates when an acceding nation was voted to full consultative (voting) status, while no date indicates the country was an original 1959 treaty signatory. Claimant nations are - Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway, and the UK. Nonclaimant consultative nations are - Belgium, Brazil (1983), Bulgaria (1998) China (1985), Ecuador (1990), Finland (1989), Germany (1981), India (1983), Italy (1987), Japan, South Korea (1989), Netherlands (1990), Peru (1989), Poland (1977), Russia, South Africa, Spain (1988), Sweden (1988), Uruguay (1985), and the US. Non-consultative (nonvoting) members, with year of accession in parentheses, are - Austria (1987), Canada (1988), Colombia (1989), Cuba (1984), Czech Republic (1993), Denmark (1965), Estonia (2001), Greece (1987), Guatemala (1991), Hungary (1984), North Korea (1987), Papua New Guinea (1981), Romania (1971), Slovakia (1993), Switzerland (1990), Turkey (1995), Ukraine (1992), and Venezuela (1999). Article 1 - area to be used for peaceful purposes only; military activity, such as weapons testing, is prohibited, but military personnel and equipment may be used for scientific research or any other peaceful purpose; Article 2 - freedom of scientific investigation and cooperation shall continue; Article 3 - free exchange of information and personnel, cooperation with the UN and other international agencies; Article 4 - does not recognize, dispute, or establish territorial claims and no new claims shall be asserted while the treaty is in force; Article 5 - prohibits nuclear explosions or disposal of radioactive wastes; Article 6 - includes under the treaty all land and ice shelves south of 60 degrees 00 minutes south and reserves high seas rights; Article 7 - treaty-state observers have free access, including aerial observation, to any area and may inspect all stations, installations, and equipment; advance notice of all expeditions and of the introduction of military personnel must be given; Article 8 - allows for jurisdiction over observers and scientists by their own states; Article 9 - frequent consultative meetings take place among member nations; Article 10 - treaty states will discourage activities by any country in Antarctica that are contrary to the treaty; Article 11 - disputes to be settled peacefully by the parties concerned or, ultimately, by the ICJ; Articles 12, 13, 14 - deal with upholding, interpreting, and amending the treaty among involved nations. Other agreements - some 200 recommendations adopted at treaty consultative meetings and ratified by governments include - Agreed Measures for Fauna and Flora (1964) which were later incorporated into the Environmental Protocol; Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Seals (1972); Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (1980); a mineral resources agreement was signed in 1988 but remains unratified; the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty was signed 4 October 1991 and entered into force 14 January 1998; this agreement provides for the protection of the Antarctic environment through five specific annexes: 1) marine pollution, 2) fauna and flora, 3) environmental impact assessments, 4) waste management, and 5) protected area management; it prohibits all activities relating to mineral resources except scientific research

Sorry to burst your bubble. Sad Smilie
Oh well...no biggie. Thanks for correcting me! I'll check my sources better next time Wolf Smilie
Who would want to live there anyways? Give me the sun and beaches anyday! Cool Smilie

Polar bears do not live in Antarctica, and penguins cannot be found in the Arctic. An interesting fact to note about Antarctica is that animals live only along the coast of the continent. The interior of the continent is devoid of life except for a tiny insect called a midge which measures less than 1/2 inch in length (12mm).
I hate to say people,but most of these facts don't make much sense. Lets just say its not a reliable source Orc Smiling Smilie .
Yeh it's because it's the desert that other people forget about. I'd live in Antarctica, but only in the Ross independance... Boom boom!

There ar only two of the continents that don't have one of there names begining with A; North America, South America, Africa, Austrilasia, Asia, Antarctica, Europe and India. Also India is quite often forgoten in the list of continents as it is the sub-continent!
There is only one continent whose name doesn't end in "a".
  << [1] [2] [3] >>