Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Bands with wierds names

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > Bands with wierds names   [1] [2] >>
'Shorty Sewell and his Rocky Mountain Oysters'--A Country Swing band that played Saturday Night Grange and Legion Hall dances when I was a teenager. (Well that's what we called them, they were really the 'Rocky Mountain Men', but that name didn't have any shock value.) Elf Winking Smilie
I like Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster and also Captain Beefcake and his Magical Band and they were magical.
The Blue Oyster Cult, Cycle Sluts from Hell and PlasticSquirrel!
We had a local band called Split Clean and the Jerks, who apparently took their name from weight lifting lifts.
oh yeah I forgot about them.
'Handsome Devil', yes that is a band(or singer) name,believe it or not.

used to hang out with two bands called Jungle tounge and Murry's Tractor. Also theres Jethro Tull,Austrailian Crawl, Cold Chissel, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Toto, Good Shirt,Split Ends, DD smash and Credence clearwater revival.
And don't ask where Steely Dan got their name from.
Oh, you stole my thunder Val, i thought of them when i was driving into town, anyway, heres some more:
R.E.M, the feelers, electric light orgestra, supergroove,supergrass,meat loaf, Hello Sailor,B.L.U.R.T.A
The datsuns.
We used to have a local band called "The Freaked Out Flower Children" and Cecilia Dart Thornton used to be in a band called "Still Frogs, Despite Kisses". Kinda Cute. Big Laugh Smilie
That is cute,Allyssa Smile Smilie
Here are some more you'all might get a laugh out of:
Velvet Empire(don't ask me what they were thinking when they decided that for a band name.)
Jebediah("Jebediah Smith....")
Ying Yang Twins(probaly twins )
Justincase
Hitman Sammy Sam(I wonder why hes not more popular)
-Thats all I can think of now-
Quote:
and PlasticSquirrel!

That actually would be a cool band name Cool Smilie !
The flippin hippies, lazy honey, Idle fret, the bare foot girl, tadpole, betchaduper, W.A.S.P, Midnight oil, pearl jam, talking heads, Franky goes to hollywood, Tears for fears, Wham, White snake, Motleycrue, Guns'n'roses, and last but not least, Tiny Tim.
-The Bambi Molestors
-Billy's Private Parking
-Original Sound Track (O.S.T.)
-Nine Inch Nails
-Kiss
-AC/DC
-Cancel
-Fishbone
-Superhiks
-Fortaste
-C.R.A.S.H.
-Psycho-Path
-Freek Bruders
-TrafficRelegion
-Red Five Point Star
-Crazed Farms
-Bleed On
-Swamp
-Goodbye Culture (Adijo Kultura)
-Elephant and Fruit (Slon in Sadezh)

Most of them are local bands which means lots of ppl have very strange taste of names.

[Edited on 13/7/2003 by LadyBlueAutomnSky]
Quote:

Quote:
and PlasticSquirrel!

That actually would be a cool band name Cool Smilie !

It is, it's mine, that's where the handle came from in the first place Lady F, I've been using it for a good 5 or 6 years now to record under. There's links somewhere.
Other amusingly named bands I have been in include...

Lean Against the Washing Machine
Spudgun
The Radioactive Flowerpots
Dead Jesus
and it goes on, but I'm tired....
Rofl.. I wonder what people think of when they name their bands these strange names? Oh well, it's cool anyhow, makes you remember them. Smart move really.

Damuttz
The Happy Friends (DLK - De Lyckliga Kompisarna)
A+
Dia Psalma
Hootenanny Singers
Jamiroquai
Joelpieces (Joelbitar)
Jumper
Las Ketchup
Liquido
Orup
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen
Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Blodwyn Pig
ZZ Top
Wishbone Ash
Three Dog Night
Tangerine Dream
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Quote:
Toad the Wet Sprocket

Great name, and a great band! Toad is from my town, SB. I actually know Glen (the lead singer of Toad) he's a very nice guy, and amazingly talented. He’s also one of my producer’s best friends. In fact, Glen mastered the album my partner and I have coming out in a couple of weeks!
Elf Smilie
Polyphonic Spree!
And I can't believe nobody's mentioned "...and you will know us by the trail of the dead" yet, great name, great band. Or how about "These are the Chairmen of the Board" (another one of mine). Half-Man Half-Bicuit, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, and erm... actually most of the ones I'm thinking of would get filtered out sorry...
Las Ketchup
LL Cool J
Hear'Say
HIM
Home Town Hero
Smile Smilie 'k heres some more!:
Penny-Wise( Big Laugh Smilie )
Perfect Circle(and what where they thinking?!)
Pet Shop Boys(maybe an attempt at anotherboy band)
Princess Superstar(thats not very humble...and I have never heard of any of her songs!)
Puddle of Mud(no comment...)
Pulp(reminds me of Minute Maid orange juice Wink Smilie )
I Mother Earth("Dance naked and I feel So wired It's a personal voodoo Runnin' through my veins Like blood"Fanny Pack(lol)
Finger Eleven
Fishbone(I wonder if that has anything to do with that show)
Foxy Brown
Smile Smilie Hope you enjoy 'em! Smoke Smilie
Can you have a Puddle of Mudd? It must either be a puddle of muddy water or a gloop of mud!
Here are some weird band names i know :

-Aardvarks
-Dog Fashion Disco
-Ninnghizhidda
-Deadboy and the Elephantmen
-Lollipop Lust Kill
-Azeroth (not to be confused with the PT member)
We have a popular band in Canada called The Arrogant Worms. And I thought The Bare Naked Ladies was bad. Big Laugh Smilie
Hey aire Las Ketchup are from Mexico!!!
but how about
evanescence
foo fighters
white stripes
panda
withintemptation
nightwish
how about just rolling stones
why would they choose that name?

Quote:
how about just rolling stones
why would they choose that name?
How about because they wanted some creame cheesem they couldn't be named the 'Rolling Bagels'? And foreseeing that they would live on to ripe old ages and remain on world tours, then didn't want to gather any moss, so they chose the 'Rolling Stones'. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

They were after my time and I can't name a single song they popularized. But then you wouldn't have heard of the names or songs from my youth either, except for Elvis of course. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
how about just rolling stones, why would they choose that name?

Well since I happen to be somewhat of a Blues and Jazz historian (my two favorite genres of music), and really music in general, and since Muddy Waters is one of my all-time idols, and biggest influences, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Rolling Stones took their name from one of Muddy's tunes.
Elf Smilie

Quote:
And I thought The Bare Naked Ladies was bad.

Red, the name is bad,but there music is rather good Smile Smilie
Here some moe to add to this evergrowing list of strange band names!:
the EXIES
Nappy Roots
N.E.R.D.
No Angels
No Use For A Name
Master P
Method Man
Moffats
MR.BIG
Pary Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Wiggle Smilie
ButtHole Surfer's
Weasels Rip My Flesh
idipendant Worm Sallon
Hey Ross. only one of those is a band, the Buttholes, Independent Worm Saloon was one of their albums (along with Hairway to Steven. Electric larryland and Rembrandt Pussy Horse) whereas Weasels ripped my Flesh is a fantastic album from Frank Zappa and the Mother's of Invention.

Sorry Ross, but I love to criticise, you know that.
I know but it's to do with music.
AND MORE!:
Garbage
PHISH
Pressure-4-5
One True Voice
OK GO
IGGY POP
Taking Back Sunday
Theory of a Deadman
-Im going to stop before I name all of the strange ones!
Vulgar Boatmen
Led Zeppelin (or are they the PH De-rigid-ball)

[Edited on 18/7/2003 by Grondmaster]
Bloodhound Gang
Black eye'd peas
Queens of the stone Age
Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie Juggling Smilie Juggling Smilie
Luther Right and the Wrongs
The Shags
Oi Ringy, nicking bands I've already said! Tongue Smilie
Well. erm most bands have odd names, but heres some interesting ones from the orient
1. Glay
2.Mr. Children
3.Kick the can crew
4.Love Psychedelico
5.Morning Musume
hmmm theres more. just cant think right now. does anyone else know some jap bands worthy of note?
~Saliva(thats a gross name.)
~Silkk The Shocker(you gotta give 'em some credit, it is very orignal.)
~Wet Wet Wet(lol)
~The White Stripes
~Wu Tang Clan
~Lady May(I think thats a pretty name,but not good for a singer's name)
Lil' Bow Wow
Lil' Flip
LIL' JON & THE EAST SIDE BOYZ
Lil' Kim
Lil' Mo
Lil' O
Lil' Romeo
Lil' Wayne
Lil' Wyte
Lil' Zane
--- hehe,I named all the "lil'".
You missed L'il Louis Lady F...
It's ok Ringy Wink Smilie

What about Little (I helped create everyone) Richard. That man really does think the sunsets when he sits down.
Here's some-
Agent Orange
Bouncing Souls
Delinquent Habbits
Flogging Molly
Hothouse Flowers
Poi Dog Pondering (poi dog is Hawaiin colloquilaism for mutt)
Soul Asylum
Smashing Pumpkins
Jesus Jones
the Replacements
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians
Sly and the Family Stone

When I was in college there was a local band called "Fat Bertha and the Love Shakers" they were very good!

[Edited on 5/8/2003 by musicimprovedme]
It seems that the weird name craze has quieted down a little from the '90's. Now you get bands called Disturbed, Cold, Down... etc, etc. I thought The Smashing Pumpkins was the strangest name I'd eve heard for a band. That was before The Squirrel Nut Zippers and Chumbawumba (or whatever it was) came to town. And there was Blind Melon, Stone Temple Pilots, Radiohead (no relation), blah, blah, blah.

These days, I really like the name Spock's Beard.

And then there's Liquid Tension Experiment... they get the award for "Band With the Most Appropriate Name"... No, I can't explain...

I was once invited to join a band that was determined to "make it" with the name Mozart Farts. N'thanks.
How bout Wang Chung? Oingo Boingo? hahaha...

The THOMPSON TWINS?? It was 3, none of whom were twins. It was 1 white guy, 1 white girl, and 1 black guy. Go figure.

And then there was Twisted Sister. ROFL!
Welcome back Music. How ya been?
Hullo Proggy, Peredhil...nice to see you guys too...been better I'm fraid. But that is a not-so-happy story! It goes like this!

%@#%$#@%$#@%#@%$@#%$#@%$#@%# (INHALE)%#@%$#@%$#@%$#@%$#@%#$@%$#@%

(Sigh...) Mad Smilie Sad Smilie Exploding Head Smilie Thumbs Down Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie

But anyway, we were talking about odd band names! And I have a couple more...and I didn't even look up on a list.

(forgive the repeats)
Sex Pistols
Pink Floyd (NO it's not a Him, its a Them. hahah)

anyone named after a place, whats up with that? Great music but goofy names (Chicago, Boston, Kansas)

Arrested Development
Screaming Trees
Rage Against the Machine
Kajagoogoo!!! hahaha
Uncle Kracker
Dexy's Midnight Runners
the Mothers of Invention
Hole

Styx (women pretending to play instruments, funny as ****!)
Joy Division
New Order
Depeche Mode
Idlewild
No FX
Daft Punk
Planet Funk
Susie & the Banshee's
kajagoogoo

I think I will stop for a while.
Tenacious D
Toy Box
Eiffel 65
French Affair
Era
t.A.T.u.
One Track Mind

That´s all for now
The Wailers: The Boys from Tacoma who recorded the definitive rock version of Louie, Louie in 1961 before the Portland based Kingsmen garbled Berry's original words. Cool Elf Smilie

[Edited on 20/8/2003 by Grondmaster]
  [1] [2] >>