Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: DIY hobbit hole

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > DIY hobbit hole   
i recently bought land and am in the middle of constructing my own hobbit hole..
so far it's been nasty, dirty and wet.. with ends of worms..
then the sun came out and it becake dry, bare and sandy.. with nothing to eat but a crust of bread..
perhaps once i get a roof on it and the walls built i can make it comfortable.

anyone else have visions of owner-built underground dwellings?

kim
Ahhh yes that is a dream of mine and I will build one! Eventually. Have to buy the place, fix the house, the garden... blabla... But I know just about where I want it. It will probably only have one room as I have to 'dig' into solid rock, but it will be real nice when I'm done. If I ever get started. I really liked Bag-End in the movie, I want something simmular to that look.
Thats cool ! Id like to live in one myself . They do similar stuff in Australia in the desert.
I have seen one house in Maryland that is kind of similar. The guy hadhollowed out part of a hill and the remainder of the house that stuck out side of the hill he had covered with sod. Not really as cozy as a Hobbit hole but still pretty cool. So Good Luck with it. Big Smile Smilie
I've always wanted to do that! Making a hobbit hole would be awesome and i could use it as a summer home! lol.
the middle-earth online Tom Bombadil house is what i plan to eventually base my home on.all i need is the land, the money..............................anyway,if you want to see the house Click Here. Good luck chao,your gonna need it.think you can show us some pictures when your done somehow?i was gonna base a house on rivendell before i realized that i wouldnt be able to pay for a house that size,and a few parts of the plan turned out to be illegal(like draining part of the etowah river to form a place to locate the ford)

(Grondy only fixed the link.)
Ah yes! I am making plans for a hobbit-hole....Big Smile Smilie
My father is looking into buying property.
I cannot wait.
But good luck with it! Elk Grinning Smilie
Hobbit holes are expensive to make, but they are good for energy bills. The earth on top and all around is a good insulator. I too wish to have an underground house. With a round door and round hallways.
Concrete. Stealth technology. Insulation. Generators (two minimum, three to five better.) Ducts that go a loooong way from your location, with vents that face straight down, or, better, angled in. Lots of food and weapons. Entrance: think Gondolin.
Morambar, that is not a hobbit hole you are describing.

Well my hobbit hole/house is getting a bit closer. As I said earlier:
Quote:
Have to buy the place, fix the house, the garden... blabla...
Well the place is ours and we have begun fixing up the house. There will be plenty of room for a nice little hobbit hole. Eventually. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Concrete. Stealth technology. Insulation. Generators (two minimum, three to five better.) Ducts that go a loooong way from your location, with vents that face straight down, or, better, angled in. Lots of food and weapons.

Morambar, do you live in an AC vent leading to a power Generator Housing?
No, apparently Morambar is a member of the Michigan Militia.... (;-)