Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Catastrophe Theory

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > The Catastrophe Theory   <<
WoT has been mentioned so possibly although there are 'portal' stones in Robin Hobbs' Farseer books as well. Not sure whether they are actually called portal stones... but they might be.
I always wondered what if Gandalf got one or all of the eagles then road them to Mount Doom with Frodo, descended and dropped the ring in the lava. That alwayed seemed alot easier to me.
although it wouldn't make much of a story. The chapter "The shadow of the past" made it sound like the owner could get rid of the ring early on in his possession. If they did this early in Frodo's possession. I think that Frodo could bring himself to cast the ring in the fire from an eagles flight.

edited by Caud. to clarify
Sorry I missed your earlier post, Miruvor; without search funcitons and a way to get a list of all my old posts I tend to get lost, but yes, those were the Portal Stones I had in mind, specifically, all the different reality alternatives that Rand experienced en route to Falme that all ended with "I win again, Lews Therin." What I had in mind was the possibility that all other alternatives had been excluded by a kind of survival instinct the Creator instilled in the universe, and a similar thing done by Eru.

Oh, well, that's different then. Then the question is whether the Nines winged steeds could handle Gwaihir, but no question the collective might of the Eagles could handle them. Of course, the Fellowship didn't know about those winged mounts until they left Lorien, so there might be a new shortlived king of the Eagles (yes, I know the Nine had horses until Bruinen, but their winged mounts didn't just suddenly appear.) Possession of the Ring by other powerful members of Middle-Earth is (still) a rich "what if" domain itself I'm surprised we haven't seen more, thus Bilbo WAS meant to find the Ring, and be the only person who could to prevent disaster.

I guess I'll throw out a really unlikely one to keep it going: what if Morgoth had (or even Sauron legitmately) had reformed? Would evil have come about in Middle-Earth by another means? Would his creations have persisted with a mind of their own?
I think his creations would still be evil, but i don't think they would group to gether in armies like they did. They would flee to the tunnels in the mountains and stop reproducing in such great numbers. and eventually go extinct...
I think eventually the ainur, valar, or elves would continue there music and cleaning up the mess of the evil.
Or they might not and just leave ME to mankind.
Quote:
I always wondered what if Gandalf got one or all of the eagles then road them to Mount Doom with Frodo, descended and dropped the ring in the lava. That alwayed seemed alot easier to me.

The Eagles were Maiar, servants of Manwė, hence i think they weren't allowed to interfere directly in the quest to destroy the Ring. After the Ring got destroyed, is another story : then they were allowed to save Frodo and Sam.

Besides, i'm pretty sure the Eye of Sauron -without distraction- would notice one or all great Eagles approaching Mordor, hence Sauron would either send all of his Nazgūl, or go to Mt Doom himself, and pick up the Ring.

Quote:
What I had in mind was the possibility that all other alternatives had been excluded by a kind of survival instinct the Creator instilled in the universe, and a similar thing done by Eru.

That's also the essence of one of the "parallel universe" theories, now popular in kosmology : there are an infinite amount of parallel universes, but only one ultimately makes enduring life possible.
Huh; missed that one, will have to check it out, since cosmology is (another) hobby of mine. Makes since though, each reality coming into being then collapsing in on itself because unsustainable, leaving only one left. Begs the question of how stable our version is, and if there are better or worse ones still lingering/superceding (but I bet they cover that one, eh?)

Eagles are Maiar? Like, all of them, not just Thorondor and Gwaihir? Is this yet another reason I need to get all of HoME? And now that I think of it, what happened to Thorondor? If Ancalagon couldn't take him he seems pretty indestructible. I can buy Thorondor, or even Gwaihir, as a Maiar (though the question still remains of what became of the former, but maybe it's a Silm-->LorT name change again) but the whole species is asking too much. That's a lot of Maiar.
Landroval and Gwaihir are mentioned as Thorondor's sons in HOME, i think. Could also be in the index of the Sil.
We're only talking about the Great Eagles here as being Maiar, not all the Eagles.
OK, I'll buy that. My knowledge of HOME is limited to LT1&2 (unless we count UT also, but I've only read that once) so I can't speak to that. The index of the Silmarillion refers us to RotK, where Gwaihir and Landroval are called "descendants" of Thorondor. I no longer wish to take a position either way, though I will say "descendant" at least implies they're not in the immediate family. On the other hand, who ever heard of a talking eagle?
Quote:
On the other hand, who ever heard of a talking eagle?

I know at least one : Sam the American sea eagle, of the Muppet Show. Whether he's related to Thorondor as well, is unknown.
There were probably a pair of talking Eagles living in Narnia as well, but I can't guarantee this as Lewis didn't include an index in any of my copies of The Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm not about to waste my time manually searching the text.
I believe one of the bird judges in Alice in Wonderland, was an eagle.
  <<