Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Wisdom of the World

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > Wisdom of the World   
We now have several games about English proverbs, but I would like this thread to include the rest of the world too.

I want you to translate sayings, quotes or words of wisdom from your (or any) country and languages into English and post them here for all to enjoy.

To start you off, I will ask for sayings about stars. Change the topic when you feel like it. Smile Smilie

Quote:
Don't complain under the stars about the lack of bright spots in your life.

From a poem of Henrik Wergeland, Norway

Next! Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie
"Sin mi, no vas a encontrar nunca
Con quien mirar las estrellas
alguien que pueda bajarte con un beso
una de ellas"

"Without me, you'll never find
someone to watch the stars with
someone that with a kiss can bring
one down for you"
stars are beutiful, so is life, war destroys life so this is about stars

when the elephants fight, it is the grass that gets hurt.
The day I die, a star will be my bride.
"Shoot for the moon; if you miss will still land among the stars..."
Shouldn't that be "Reach for the stars and you might hit the moon" ?
They seem to be the same thing just said in different ways although one could imply you'd get something anyway if you try hard enough and the other implies you could get something better.
yes, but, assuming one is standing on Earth, it makes more sense to shoot for the stars and land on the moon if you can't get quite far enough for a star. Besides, who says the moon is better or worse than the stars?
'Shoot for the Moon' has always meant go for the highest goal as the Moon used to be unattainable. Now we have been there, 'Reach for the stars' having the same conatation, has replaced it. This has all come about due to the shrinkage of the world by technology. And if your escape velocity is high enough, and you miss the Moon, you might reach a star, while if you shoot for a star, the odds are quite high that you will never hit the moon; especially as your celestial navigators will ensure the Moon will not be in that part of sky so that its gravity doesn't interfere with your trajectory.
Hey, this saying was the one that hung in my old grade one classroom! Ah, poor Mr. Gagnon...
I guess every paparazzo has the saying "Reach for the stars and you might get mooned" engraved on his camera.
hahaha that was funny, how do you think out something like this
Lang may yur lum reek

Basically means......

Hope you have a good long life (Scottish phrase)
I know a few...
A VERY odd one i heard just today. It has no sense at all...
"Where two horses go, a bear follows."

Oh and then there's
"Dont s%#t where you eat." Smile Smilie

One from my country "Who digs a hole under someone else, is most likely to fall in it himself." Basiclly it means, if you try to harm someone else on purpose(spelling??), phisiclly or otherwise, you'll probably be the one who gets the shorter end. That is..Your only doing yourself harm. Its hard to translate...
A parody on that is "Who digs a hole under someone else, is a construction worker."
'Never do today, what can be put off until tomorrow.'

(That's only wise if you are a dedicated procrastinator, so I don't subscribe to it, but think its reverse is a lot more beneficial.)

'Never put off until tomorrow, what can be done today.'