Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: helllllppppp mmmeeeeeeeee...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > helllllppppp mmmeeeeeeeee...   
i previously asked this on another thread of...not mine. but how long does it take to learn Quenya? and some of you people can speak it so...good! it just seems a little overwhelming (however exciting and awesome it may be) to learn ALL OF THAT!!!!! i mean, i'm willing and everything to learn it, and i already know how to pronounce some vowels and dipthongs and things with the things on top of them (like the two little dots .. and the thing like this ^ and the accent mark ` [how do you make them when go over the letters?]) wow. lots of questions. well, anybody with advice or answers or insights on how long it will take (months, years...eons...ha.) to learn Quenya will make me happy. or...ya know...if you want to just say something or whatever. you don't have to have answers. :]
Where are you learning it from?
At any rate, it's easier to learn than a real world language; I'd say you could definitely have the basics down in a month, if not two or three weeks, though practice would help you retain and refine that knowledge; disuse would effectively delete it.
As for the symbols like there are alt codes (i have the ones i need memorized), but you can also find them on a website (like here) and copy-paste them.
i think it all depends firstly, on how often you are "in contact" with the language (this is why, i disagree with Tyrhael when he says its easier to learn than a real world lnguage, any real world language has native speakers, a living culture, multiple books, songs, language tapes and what not to imerge your self in) and secondly how often you learn (obviously), i remember teaching myself Quenya in college, even now i still now the "logics" of the language (plural form, verb conjugation etc) but i could never memorize the vocab, so in theory i can speak Quenya, in practise i cant Big Smile Smilie

anyway thats my 2cents Big Smile Smilie
I say it's easier to learn than a real world language not as in "speaking", but as understanding; there's less vocabulary and sometimes less irregularities, though Tolkien did try to emulate real world languages (esp. Indo-European) with strong and weak verbs and tenses, etc. Though as for actually speaking in an oral conversation, I'd agree that real world languages are easier to learn. But I find it easier to learn Tolkien's languages since I practice them more than I do with real world languages that aren't my native language, haha! Angel Smilie
i am using that uib.no site...with the Quenya course. i read like, 6 pages of a lesson in school today (sneaky sneaky...ha.) and i just printed out 8 pages (same lesson-1! 'tis very long.) but i agree with Tyrhael in the aspect that it's easier to understand than say. it only sounds like an ooberly cool language when someone like...hmmmm...an elf says it. i'm usually really random and not serious so it seems unnatural when i speak it. though, i guess it would because it isn't my native language. oh well. :] but i understand the vowels and those dipthong things a lot easier. and speaking of college, Turion, one of my friends said there is a college in texas or california (in the U.S. if you live somewhere else) just for learning Elvish. i have my doubts, but she could be right. i'll look it up. *looks it up* mmm...i couldn't find anything. who knows. and which is more common: Quenya or Sindarin? so i can write my name in Elvish too. it's aMAZing. Very Mad Smilie that smiley is ROCKIN'!
See if your computer has 'Character Map' on it (mine is found via the Start Button under Programs, Accessories, and System Tools; run it and the bottom two rows have the desired characters. Highlight one and the ALT key number will show up in the lower right corner of the map. I printed the ones I use on a half sheet of paper which I hung beside my monitor. To type one of them: place the cursor where you want the character, hold the ALT key down, type in the four digit number, and then release the ALT key; the character should show up behind the cursor. ALT + 0235 = , try it, you'll like it!
From Miruvor's journal entry of 6 November 2005 :

ALT + 137 =
ALT + 139 =
ALT + 161 =
ALT + 162 =
ALT + 163 =
ALT + 144 =
ALT + 148 =
ALT + 160 =
ALT + 129 =
ALT + 130 =
ALT + 132 =

Note that the numbers must be entered on the numerical keyboard.

Of course, such wizardry is not necessary with an azerty keyboard.
unfortunatly (imo anyway) on a laptop where the number ppad is embeded into the normal letters, and an Fn key and an ALt key haas to be held, then the numberes have to be deciphered amonst lots of other "alternative" functions on the keys, id rather just copy and paste hehe Big Smile Smilie
Alt-141=
Alt-149=
Alt-145=
Alt-140=
Alt-147=
oohh more, i dont think you would use the I and the O with the "grave" accent (as the french call it) i dont recall seeing it in tolkiens works.
Big Smile Smilie
well those are rockn'. i wrote them all down so i can remember them later. i'm trying to learn Quenya, write the runes, and study for tests and quizzes in school here and there too! lots of memorization.