Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Quenya Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > The Quenya Game   << [1] [2] [3] >>
The secret pharse has been solved! I have thought about "Cuamin linduva yassen megrille" for a while! Well, now that that is over, we have the poem (nice one Peredhil!) I am going to take my best shot at it (my Quenya vocabulary is not that extensive).

Laurenande= "laurë" is gold

undu= "under/beneath"

i= "the"

lauri= plural laurë

aldar- plural alda "tree"

So "undu i lauri aldar" would be "under the golden trees"

lassinta= lassi (could be plural of lassë "leaf", but also could just change to "i" because of the ending :questionSmile Smilie -nta "their or they" (not sure which)

lantaner= lanta "fall" or "falling" -ner ? could be -ne with plural ending?

ar= "and"

vanyaner= vanya "beautiful" -ner (look up!)

eressë= "solitude"

I don't know how to put that last bit together, and I am not going to try to get to the rest now! Maybe some other people can help me (please!). This is fun, I like the longer phrases, more challenging Big Smile Smilie !
Well done so far Cano! Pretty much all of what you said is right.

lassinta is "their leaves"
You were right about lantaner
a couple of corrections: vanya here is a verb, and eressë is an adjective.

Keep it up! Big Smile Smilie
Hey guys, try this one:

O Olórin i Yáresse
Mentaner i Númeherui
Tírien i Rómenóri
Maiaron i Oiosaila
Manan elye etevanne
Nórie i melanelye?
Ok, I've been sitting for hours trying to figure this out. This is what I got so far.. to tired to do better.

Lorien!
I long for back vanta under the golden trees
Their leaves fall and disappear(?)
sanwi alone only is

Lorien!
Recall will I the green grass
and hidden paths, in wich simbelmynë are abundant,
Lohtëa in my heart

Milyëan- long for I
vanta- ?
sanwi- san might be chamber but the -wi I don't know
Lohtëa-?
Wow Amarië! Big Smile Smilie I didn't expect it to be done that quickly. Vanta should be easy, sanwi is a plural noun and lohtëa will be listed in most vocabulary lists under its verbal stem, not just as lohtëa.
My goodness, Amarie, you don't waste any time, do you?!
I am greatly impressed!

I think that lohtea would be some form of grow. Would it be " growing" for " growing in my heart"? Lohtea might be an adjective, but I don't know. Hope it helps!
Lohtëa=flowering
Your poem seems so familiar Peredhil, have you posted it on another site somewhere? As I was translating I felt I had read it somewhere before..
O Olórin i Yáresse
Mentaner i Númeherui
Tírien i Rómenóri
Maiaron i Oiosaila
Manan elye etevanne
Nórie i melanelye?

Olórin, who once was...
Sent by the Lords of the West
To guard the lands of the East
Wisest of all Maiar
What drove you to leave
That which you loved?

This is the lament for Gandalf sung by Elizabeth Frazer.

[Edited on 27/2/2003 by Celebrian]

[Edited on 27/2/2003 by Celebrian]
WOW guys!!!!!..., I can not post even if I try, but i just wanted to tell you all that I realy admire the work you have done here..... Thumbs Up Smilie

i will keep comming here, even though I still fell too ignorant.....,but I still have the hope someday I will finally learn from you.....keep that way!!!!! Cyclops Smilie
Thanks dude...
I hope you get to learn Quenya soon enough
Be sure to check Cano's lessons Smoke Smilie
Quote:
Your poem seems so familiar Peredhil, have you posted it on another site somewhere?
No, Amarië, I haven't posted it; I only scribbled it down quickly about ten minutes before I posted it here. I checked and Tolkien has written a few poems about Lothlórien; maybe it reminded you of one of them.
Anyway, another short phrase, shouldn't be too hard:
i eldaratari cuivaner ho nu cuiviénen
Is it " The Elven Queens awoke from under Cuiviénen ( Water of Awakening)"? I don't know what the a is in eldaratari, but I think I got it right. I can't think of any good phrases, so someone else can give one.
Eldaratari=Lords of Elves
I came up with a phrase. Here it is:

Nertë Naoucor haryëar nulda, alta nulda, úmëa nulda.
Nine Dwarves possess a secret, a great secret, an evil secret
I can't think of one right now, so I'll leave it for someone else.
Wow, Perwing, that was a word for word translation! I guess I am making them too easy for you. I am out of clever little sentences also, so someone else can take the liberty of giving us another challenge.
I'll have one in a minute. BTW, get the name right! *lol*
Sorry, Peredhil!
I guess I am just used to talking to Perwing and that any "P" name is automatically Perwing. I will pay more attention to that from now on. It was kinda funny, though Big Smile Smilie !
Ok I'll try to contribute to this game. Hopefully I've done it right. Wink Smilie

Mi olosi
hlarpoln esselya
ar mi olosi
enomentauvalme

Finished this one too.

Irë i ëari ar oronti lanta
ar tulme ana áre-metta
mí morë hlarn óma
nyarala me tulië ana ímen
lelyauvan ana ímen
ar enata
Oooh, looks like a bit of a challenge.
In dreams
I can hear ¿your beginning?
And in dreams
????????

That's all I could get for the first one, sorry.

If that's right so far then:
hlarpoln should be polin hlarë

Sorry to correct you so much, but here are some pointers.

For verbs ending -a, drop this ending, before adding the future -uva. So lelyauvan in your second one should be lelyuvan.
Polin means I can. When saying I can hear, use polin then the infinitive form of the verb hear ( hlarë). Infinitives of -a verbs are exactly the same as the verb itself. For verbs ending in a consonant, add on the end, hence polin hlarë.

Hope this helps. Wink Smilie
If you come to every monday's lesson, you'll be an expert in no time.
Here's what I get for the second one:

When the seas and mountains fall
And tulme towards ¿end of days?
In the darkness I hear a voice
¿Telling us to come? towards in them
I will go towards in them
And enata

How much of that is right?
Thanks for correcting me Peredhil. I don't know much Quenya, just thought I should give it a try and see what happened. And what happened was that I learned a lot! Big Smile Smilie

I want to learn Quenya but I haven't got much time to check out the written lessons. I wish I could join the online lessons but I haven't got internet at home so I would have to stay at school till they begin at 21.30.. Sad Smilie And as to the words, I'm only as good as the dictionaries I find. Wink Smilie And I don't really trust others than Fauskangers, but I have to go elsewhere to find them all so I'm not surprised if they are completely wrong! So "=" means they come from Fauskangers lists, "-" means they don't. (It is parts of "In dreams" from the fotr sound track btw)

essë= name
tul- =(to) come
-lmë= we

(putting these together will make one L go away or am I just making up my own rules again?)
en- = again/ re-

ata-back
ímen- there, meaning that place
omenta- to meet
nyar- 'to tell'
nyarala- telling

enomentuvalmë = enomenta uvalmë? re-meet will-we,
or is it uvalme enomenta?
Does anybody have a word for call/calling? I couldn't find it, only shout and a victorious call, so I had to do without.
Smile Smilie I couldn't find a word for calling either, so I don't think there is one. One could probably be devised following the basic linguistic values of Quenya. I might have a go. As for enomentuvalmë, I would say uvalme enomenta, as I don't know if joining the two would be completely acceptable. I certainly couldn't work it out.
For "call", may I suggest that you use Tulta "summon" If you need a specific verb "to call" then my approximation would be Rantula , a combination of the roots RAM (shout) and TUL (summon).

[Edited on 10/3/2003 by Peredhil]
Thank you once again Peredhil!
Quenya doesn't get any easier when you first have to translate it to english, and then find a dozen words meaning the same to find that one Quenya word you are looking for. Wink Smilie

I just want to say that Quenya I do not understand.....but DAMN you people are really skilled in Quenya......I would like to learn it but I think I am a slow learner.....does anyone of you speak fluently(I mean pronunciation and stuff)?
Quote:
does anyone of you speak fluently(I mean pronunciation and stuff)?
Not yet! no one's that good. I can read it fluently enough, provided that I have what I'm saying in front of me. Vocabulary's the problem with speaking, more than anything else, when you dont have time to look anything up. I am however, now quite good at writing Quenya with Tengwar, without reference. Tongue Smilie
Quote:
Not yet! no one's that good. I can read it fluently enough, provided that I have what I'm saying in front of me. Vocabulary's the problem with speaking, more than anything else, when you dont have time to look anything up. I am however, now quite good at writing Quenya with Tengwar, without reference. Tongue Smilie

I envy you LIKE HELL Peredhil!!!!
It's not that hard to learn. Nothing's stopping you, if you come to the lessons every Monday. You haven't missed too much so far.
Morgiliath I do not think I will welcome you to PT....you use very foul language.....I would want you to keep your foul tongue behind your teeth.....We at PT do not approve that kind of treatment against other members.....
I didn't see the original post, but your response does seem a little harsh, Aulë. btw, where does your signature come from?
Quote:
Aulë. btw, where does your signature come from?
Smaug's speech to Bilbo upon Bilbo's second trip down the tunnel into Smaug's treasure room in The Hobbit; a very good signature. Cool Elf Smilie
Of course, I remember now. Years since I read the hobbit.
And, maybe we should get back to the game Question Smilie
I am sorry Grondy, but I have to put in a postBody that has nothing to do with the game! This one is dedicated to Elda and since he is here a lot he might see this post Smile Smilie
Elda; I dreamed about you a few nights ago and I must say......it was terrible!!!! You sang to me! It was a mix of C.Dion and Mariah Carey songs and no matter how much I told you to keep quiet you just kept on singing! It was absolutely terrible! I woke up with your singing rerunning in my brain all day long! Very Mad Smilie

And now, back to the game!
Great dream Celeb! It is just like your brain to come up with something like that! And the worst part is that I can picture it so clearly! Big Laugh Smilie

But to get back on topic (so Grondy won't have to eat us alive. Wink Smilie ) and bring the Quenya Game back on track:

What is hína in English?
Hína = child

I can't think of one now, can anyone else?
Alqua = Swan I didn't have to look up either of those last two. Smoke Smilie
I still haven't got one, sorry, so I'll refrain from answering them until I have.
Here's another poem. It really isn't very good at all (vocabulary etc.); I abandoned it a while ago, but it's the only one I have in a state fit to put up here.

Valinóressë i ainur hárëar
Ar lírar ú cólo
Nation olorilma pella

Ómainen ve limbë nyellë
Velicë hlarë
I lin etiláma

Hlarë tana láma
Ná anna
Ar endar ataniva i hláras
Eruvar tana nóressë

Please have a go and correct any mistakes you notice.
Sad Smilie Sorry, for getting off topic, but i wanted 2 tell evry1 that the URL Elda recommended had many mistakes; it mized Sindarin words and phrases into the Quenya section.
www.geocities.com/i_destroyed_the _ring/languages
Quote:
Elda; I dreamed about you a few nights ago and I must say......it was terrible!!!! You sang to me! It was a mix of C.Dion and Mariah Carey songs and no matter how much I told you to keep quiet you just kept on singing! It was absolutely terrible! I woke up with your singing rerunning in my brain all day long! Very Mad Smilie
Oooh! The Elda Etta of Ear Worms.
Quote:
Valinóressë i ainur hárëar
Ar lírar ú cólo
Nation olorilma pella

Ómainen ve limbë nyellë
Velicë hlarë
I lin etiláma

Hlarë tana láma
Ná anna
Ar endar ataniva i hláras
Eruvar tana nóressë

In Valinor the Ainur [pl. present of verb hara- ?]
And are singing not [bearer? if so, "colindo"] [of?]
Of things beyond our dreams

With voices like many bell (bells = nyelli)
Great [?hears? aorist of hlar-, hear]
The [?] many-out-echos (outcries?)
Hears [the former, that?] [cries?]
Is gift
And [hearts?=endi] of Men [who, the, which?] [is hearing it]
Eru-[will?] that [on/in] land

um... I must have mistranslated many parts. Sorry for mangling your poem. Anyway, maybe someone else will correct my...um, attempt at translation? Dead Smilie I

By the way, someone try 2 transl8 this:
I ambar në vanya, i oronti hallar
Yáressen i lanta yára
Harnion taurar Narakostossë
Ar Ondolindë, i sí pella
I Eäri Númenyar oa oantë
I ambar në vanya Aressë Durinéva
[Please feel free to correct any mistakes...]

[Edited on 7/25/2003 by Arcormacolindóva]
Don't be surprised if mine has a few mistakes in it; I did it a long time ago. I'll try yours.

The doom ¿ne? great, the tall mountains
In former days (past) the ancient fall
¿Harnion taurar? in/on Narokosto
And Ondolindë, the now beyond (the future)
The ¿Western Ocean? went away [over the ocean?]
The doom [ne again] great ¿in Durin's Arë?

I couldn't find a meaning for ne, and I don't know a lot of the names you used, but otherwise, as far as I can see, your constructions were good. (I like the way you used i sí pella for the future.)
I think I accidentally looked in the Etymologies, where "ambar" meant world as well as "doom"; I thought në meant was (were=ner?), but that could be né... It was supposed to be:
Quote:

The world was fair, the mountains tall
In Elder Days before the fall
Of mighty kings in Nargothrond,
And Gondolin, who now beyond
The Western Seas have passed away;
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Thanks fot tranl8ing it; I'm new 2 Quenya and wanted 2 c how accurate I could be.
Yes, does mean was, it's just not an attested form. It was accurate; translating is always hard because of the ambiguity of a lot of words (like i in your fourth line.
Yeah, Quenya can be really annoying in the fact that many words have multiple meanings.
Sad Smilie
Ok, since no one has posted much here 4 a while; i'll put this on:

Ereinion né Eldaran
Sono i nandaror liri nyéressë
i tella ya harya arda ya né vanima ar mirima
imbë i Oronti ar i ëarë...
  << [1] [2] [3] >>