Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Fav Non-Tolkien Books

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > Fav Non-Tolkien Books   
Kathrine Kerr's Deverry series, but I'm unsure which one specifically. Failing that, perhaps Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist.
Some of my faves are Mario Puzo's The Godfather and The Sicilian. I also like Alex Haley's Roots, and O.R Melling's The Druid's Tune. W.P Kinsella's Dance Me Outside. I have some more faves but just can't remember them.

I have never picked up a Stephen King book yet, I don't have the courage too, I am a scaredy-cat--lol.
I´ll just say two things: DAVID EDDINGS!!!

The Belgariad and The Mallorean was really great!!!
I know I`m a bit young to have read these books but I`ve read them and they are very moving, well so moving, they made me cry. They are autobiographys. A child called 'IT', The lost boy and A man named 'Dave'.

They are about what he went through as a child and it`s sooooo upsetting. The library even asked if I had permission to read these books bc they were so horrific, well to me they are. Dave Pelzer could have died bc of what he went through...but he didn`t, he fought for his life.

I can`t say anymore bc this is a family site and therefore only for the older people.
Mario Puzo 'The Godfather'
George Orwell '1984,' and 'Animal Farm'
Margaret Atwood 'The Handmaids Tale'

I ahve read a few Stephen King books, 'It' scared the gell out of me when I was 12 four years back, 'The Stand' is a good book and 'Needful Things' average.

Non-fiction: 'The Wariors Honour' by Micheal Ignatieef (Though it is spelled, 'honor' in the Americanized spelling.)
'World Sociology' (O.K it is a text book, bit it rocks!)
And I also want to read 'Stupid White Men' by Micheal Moore, even though it is a piece of rather heated poltical spin, it is quite interesting (or seems) and also Marx and Engels rather old Communist Manifesto which will be a interesting read, I think.

I enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and his Chronicles of Narnia--the latter being one of the finest works for children that I have ever read.I don't know if any of you have heard of Cecil Bodker's "Silas and the Black Mare" but it is an EXCELLENT kids book,I'll never forget it.The "Anne of Green Gables" is worth noting as a fine kid's book that I can still enjoy even after I have worn the book out from re-reading it so many times!
Though it can be a little difficult to comprehend sometimes,Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" is also a fave of mine.
Ray Bradbury wrote a few good ones...The Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Farenheit 451...but I'd say "The Once & Future King" is my favorite Read Smilie
I like Egyptian books, also, another story I like, well, I`ve only read one passage...I am David. It`s about David and a dog escaping from a refugee camp...very sad, I nearly started crying in class! TOLTAL HUMILIATION!
I read I Am David too. It was something. Number the Stars is also a good young people book. I remember as a young girl I read it before but forgot the title, then some years later I came across it and read it again knowing that it was the long lost read book, lol.
Dune.
Ondskan(translation to english is "The Evil" or something Tongue Smilie ) by Jan Guillou.....a swedish postAuthorID who wrote HamiltonBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile Smilie
Fantasy-fiction stuff: Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (it's soo funny!)

Non-fiction:
* Gabriel Byrne's autobiography Pictures in my head (now don't laugh it's very very good, very well-written, really)

* Tom Whathisname? (I forgot his name, sorry!!!) - Round Ireland with a fridge (very funny!)

* Garfield! Ok I know they're not books, but they're good!

* I don't remember any other books, but I'll be back again sometime to tell you. Smile Smilie Cos there are more... Smile Smilie
I agree with you Elanor and Ranger, I like LM Montgomery and Number the Stars. They were some of the first books I read.
My favorite non-Tolkien books would have to be:

1. A Seperate Peace (John Knowles) <----this is extremly well written, very disturbing, and not very active but I like it
2. Across Five Aprils (Irene Hunt) I read this in fifth grade, it is very good historical fiction as well as a great coming of age book.
3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
4. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
5. The Mennyms (Sylvia Waugh) <---an interesting childrens fantasy
6. Finding God: Elements of Hindu Religion (Stephan Huyler) very scholarly, well-reasearched, and by a man who has experienced real Hindu ceremonies and knows what he's talking about...amazing photography as well.
My fave non-Tolkien book has to be anything by Michael Moorcock.
Better yet, anything by Michael Moorcock with Elrick in it.
Elrick! Yay! *Spontanious Happy Dance!*
Sorry, there just something totaly spiffy about a random albino chappy armed with a bl**dy great soul sucking sword of doominess!
!)Katherine Kerr's deverry series
2)Stephen King's Dark Tower series
3)David Edding's Belgariad and Mallarion series
4)Orson Scott Cards Tales of Alvin maker
5)David Gemmel's Jon Shannow series
6)Stephen King's It
7)Stephen King's Bag of bones
8)stephen King's The stand
9)Stephen Kings The green mile
10)C.S.Lewis's Narnia series.
"It" the movie scared my pants off(I didnt finish it)! I can't imagine what the book would be like, I picked it up once at the library and read a chapter, I just didnt like it.
I think one of my fave books is 'Walk to Remember', which can make anyone cry...especiely me.
My favorite books would have to be:

Ghost in the Noonday Sun (Sid Fleischmann)
Coriolanus (Shakespeare)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Tom Stoppard)

R&G was an excellent movie, as well.

I never really liked Stephen King--he's too creepy and doesn't have much of a storyteller's personality.
Detective/mystery/thriller: The Poet, by Micheal Connelly

Childrens: The Chronicles of Narnia, Followed by harry Potter.

Apocalyptic: The Stand, by Stephen King

Fairy Tale: Stardust, by Neil Gaimen

New Fantasy: The Ill-Made Mute, by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

I Can't think of a category for this one:
Wicked, by Gegory Mcguire (retelling of The Wizard of Oz)

Sci-fi: Enders-Game, by Orson Scott Card, as well as Dune

Biography: J.R.R. Tolkien, by Humphrey Carpenter

Aurtherian Legend: Talieson, Merlin, and Pendragon by Stephan Lawhead (three seperate books)

Comedy: Anything by Terry Prachett
I like books by Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Michael Crichton, David Eddings, Frank Herbert, J.K. Rowling, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and Terry Goodkind. I also really like the Dragonlance series and books by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

Though, Feist uses "moredhel," Moraelin, and other Sindarin words. Dragonlance has kender, beings extremely close to hobbits (theyre SO funny)
Some books that I really liked were:
Dune
Elric of Melnibone
Chronicles of Amber
Foundation

I also like books by Kurt Vonnegut.
Karma Sutra Wink Smilie
ahhahahahahh, nice one Ross!!!
my favourite books are Shakepeare's complete work (I absolutely love him), Dracula by Bram Stoker, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, 1984 by George Orwell, Tengo Miedo Torero by pedro Lemebel (Chilean Author), Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Marquez (colombian postAuthorID), L'amant by Marguqerite Duras and many more...
I love all Anne Rice especially Queen of the Damned!
I have not read any Anne Rice. Which would be a good book to start with?
I just started reading a small book called "Outsiders"....it´s quite good....very interesting but quite similar to "Skinheads".......oh and another book I really like is "Fatherland"......a very nice "deckare"(can´t remember the english name for that genre but Aire could propably translate for you guysWink Smilie Right AireWink Smilie? hehehe)
Quote:
I have not read any Anne Rice. Which would be a good book to start with?

Well, Lasgalen I think the best book to start with would be Interview with A Vampire, because that is the first in I believe to be a 5 part series. With the queen of the damned being the fifth one.

After you read it let me know what you think of it. Big Smile Smilie
I really liked the Animorph series by KA Applegate, and I LOVE anything by Julia Garwoods, VC Andrews and Nora Roberts!
When I was a kid I loved books by Enid Blyton and also the Sweet Valley series. But now I tend to like horrors, esp. those by Stephen King but I like to find books by unknown postAuthorIDs, independent ones because some of them are really good. Sometimes I read teen books, but those that I think is okay are The Mediator series by Jenny Carroll and some by Lois Duncan (Daughters of Eve is pretty good).
Some of the books from other genres that I like are To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Diary Of Anne Frank, The Confession Of Charlotte Doyle (can't remember by whom), The Chronicles Of Narnia (C.S. Lewis) and the Harry Potter books. Read Smilie