Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What are you listening to?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > What are you listening to?   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] >>
I am listening to Born Under a Bad Sign, by Jimi Hendrix Smoke Smilie
Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard of mm, Heorogar where are they from?

Never heard of mm? I would say, go to your rec shop nearby and get y'a copy! mm is maybe the most progressive and innovative postrock band from Iceland. Their music paints extremely beatiful, almost intoxicating soundscapes appearing overwhelmingly naive at first sight, but when you do some close listening (like close reading Wink Smilie ) you'll find out this naiveness is nothing more than a veil to cover dark feelings of utter dismay and true despair. Especially their texts, though sometimes difficult to understand, reveal this for the first two recs ('yesterday was dramatic, today is okay' and 'finally we're no one'). From the last 6 tracks of 'finally we're no one' onwards, these feelings are given more outward appearance, through translation in music itself.
As a matter of fact, they're not only innovative in their texts but also in their music. mm is particularly recognizable on this part: tight electronics processed with analogue amplifiers (sometimes even worn amplifiers) to give them a rich, fat almost tangible sound; fluttering and croaking noises interfering melodies; multiple variation of melody by use of jazz-schemes, d&b-rhythms and blues harmonics; but above all an inequaled inventivity and fantasy when it comes to combining instruments, accompaniment, etc.
And, not to forget: they're also extremely good in the mythologisation of their recording sessions for each record. Their last one (summer make good), f.i., was recorded in an old and abandoned weather station in the North of Iceland. You can hear the freezing wind, slamming doors and cracking stairs.

My description just in no way equals the true effect of a session of mm listening! You're warned: once you pop, you can't stop! Very Evil Smilie

Quote:
I am listening to the opera Orfeo by Monteverdi. I would strongly recommend it, even if you are not a fan of opera!

Nice to hear there are some other people around listening to "such ancient" Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie things like Monteverdi? Cheer pleasure, isn't it, Melian? What else do you listen to?
What a great description, Herogar! Makes me want to hear that band! I listen mostly to classical, jazz and blues music, but I also really like metal and classic rock.

Quote:
Nice to hear there are some other people around listening to "such ancient" things like Monteverdi? Cheer pleasure, isn't it, Melian?

Monteverdi is probably my favorite opera composer of the Baroque period. I really like the way he set his text. He was really very expressive. So where can I find a cd of Mum?
mm 's quite easy to obtain in your local rec shop I think. Anyway, it is here in Leuven (Belgium). Don't know if mm is that popular where you live. I mean popular, ... that's not the word. It seems to me that people listening to mm are quite easy to single out. It's not raving popular, but among certain groups of people it's - let's say - 'common'. Sounds so 'in-crowdy', ... hmmm Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie ... don't know how to say it otherwise. Normally, people who are listening quite intensively to classical music, jazz and r&b are fond of it, but that's merely a thing of recognition, I think. Maybe it has more to do whit the kind of literature you like (I don't mean to 'like' emotionally - that's important too, I admit - but more qua philosophy you like to recognize in it), how you read and so also how you listen to music ... (sounds again posh, I know, but I can't help sounding like that). mm is particularly destructive, not affirmative, not humanitarian and never eager to please. They believe in what they do, they do in what they believe.
Ow, Wary Smilie digression, digression, ... I'm sorry. What you wanted to know: you can buy all mm recs from Amazon (even the Please smile my nose bleed-remix and the latest single Dusk log). I think you won't think twice buying it, even the cd-boxes or record-sleeves are amazing Super Wow Smilie !
Funny you fit into the typical category of a mm listener. I'm listening a lot to jazz and classics myself, so I can imagine what you'd think of mm. Whatever, ... which performers play Orfeo on your rec? Got one myself (dad has a few more) with Gabriel Garrido, Ensemble Elyma and the Antonio Il Verso Chorus. I love the sound of orchestra: rich texture, edgy, beautiful cornets and sackbuts, ... .
My 1997 version of J.S. Bach's Fugue in G Minor (BWV 578) as played on a pseudo guitar via my Commodore 128 Computer and ported to my PC via Sidplay2/w.

Now, in honor of Beethoven's birthday, I'm listening to my version of his Seventh Symphony in A Major Opus 92, written 1811-12 which I also did in 1997, in six voice stereo.
Hi Herogar, here in the US if it's not on MTV, it won't be readily avialable Rolling Eyes Smilie But that's what online stores are for! Now that I know a bit of their philosophy, I am especially intrigued. . .

Anyway, my recording of Orfeo is directed by John Elliot Gardiner. It has Anthony Rolfe Johnson as Orfeo, Julianne Baird as Eruydice and , my favorite, Anne Sophie Von Otter as the Messenger. The singing is really sensitive to the Baroque style. It is a great recording.

Though you already have quite a bit of posts, I would like to say welcome to PT Herogar, hopefully I have found a new kind of music to get excited about! Elf Smilie
Seriously, Heorogar, you need to be a salesman or advertisement writer or maybe even a lawyer...you could sell me into believing that the sky is magenta! You have a true gift of description...I will definitely check mum out soon, it's got to be interesting music.

I may have said this before in one of the other music threads, but I will say it again...and being that I am not as linguistically gifted as Heorogar, I'll say it short and sweet:

If you have not heard of them or become a disciple of theirs, please do yourself a favor and check out the band called British Sea Power. Their album, The Decline of British Sea Power, released here in the States in December 2003, may quite possibly be the best record from an alternative/rock/whatever band to come out in a LONG time. So Bowie-esque, also very Echo&the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs-ish, and fantastic!!!!!

**we now return you to your regularly scheduled program**
Quote:
Seriously, Heorogar, you need to be a salesman or advertisement writer or maybe even a lawyer...you could sell me into believing that the sky is magenta!

Mmm, takk, takk, Lady Laurelindhe Elf Winking Smilie ... I'm afraid it won't go that far, you know. If I did, I'd never been doing what I'm doing now: maybe the most uneconomical way to earn your money ... but yeah, today it's okay to pretend to hate capitalism, isn't it Good and Evil Smilie. Whatever, what's maybe interesting for you and Melian as well: check out mm's website at Random Summer. It's however still under construction; more interesting is mm:web, a magnificent fansite! Enjoy!
And, yes, ... British seapower seems ok too, I'm gone sort it out ... Intriguing stuff, any more information my fair Lady Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie ?

Quote:
Anyway, my recording of Orfeo is directed by John Elliot Gardiner. It has Anthony Rolfe Johnson as Orfeo, Julianne Baird as Eruydice and , my favorite, Anne Sophie Von Otter as the Messenger. The singing is really sensitive to the Baroque style. It is a great recording.

O, yes, that's a nice one too. Especially for Von Otter. I think I might have to listen to it again. Maybe this weekend. Anyway, I'm going home now ... Waving Hello Smilie
Currently listening to the lovely three-part harmony of the sounds of the rain falling outside, the portable heater on the floor, and the hum of my CPU.
Look Around Smilie
Sounds like you are cozily enduring the Pineapple Express, Elfy.
I'm listening to The Magic, The Music: Andrew Lloyd Webber right now I'm listening to "Memory" from CATS. I was listening to "Phantom of the Opera" and "Music of the Night." I love it!
I am listening to the Boo Radleys, the song is "Blue Room in Archway". Good song.
Oh, now I am listening to Gravenhurst, "Fog Round the Figurehead". Also a very good song so far.
Gordon Lightfoot makes frequent trips to my cd player
Guns N' Roses and some wonderful Gazals by Ghulam Ali
A Prairie Home Companion
Lady Val tinkering on the keyboard I bought her for Christmas.
Zinloos by Lange Frans and Baas B, cued up next: Come Undone by Robbie Williams, Album: Escapology.
The Seattle Seahawks who just won the Western Division of the National Football (American) League by beating the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 28-26. They have homefield advantage over the St. Louis Rams, the wildcard team, next Saturday in the playoffs. I hope this year my team won't turn out to be the proverbial Sea-Turkeys.
Relient K "Gibberish"
The Shins' song "New Slang." Very cool.
Eurithmics - Here Comes The Rain Again
Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks who just won the Western Division of the National Football (American) League by beating the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 28-26. They have homefield advantage over the St. Louis Rams, the wildcard team, next Saturday in the playoffs. I hope this year my team won't turn out to be the proverbial Sea-Turkeys

Congrats Grondy! One of my best friends is a die-hard Rams fan, and one of my good friends is a die-hard Seahawks fan so Im quite sure that both of them will be a bundle of nerves come this Saturday. Good luck to your team!

Quote:
Eurithmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

Ha ha, you can say that again! I just have to laugh at that because weve had 10 straight days of rain here with more on the way! Were getting a little break at the moment, but its supposed to rain the rest of the week into the weekend, maybe now is a good time to start working on building that Ark!

Anyway, right now Im currently listening to an album I picked up over X-mas time called Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play The Blues. I was hoping it was going to be just the two of them playing acoustic, but alas all the tracks are electric with a full band, and its post WW2 Chicago style jump blues, still very, very good though! Interesting side note on this one is that Eric Clapton plays rhythm, and bottleneck slide guitar on 8 out of the 10 tracks.
Elf Smilie
The Theory-Black as coal (Yeah! My Band!)
At the moment Emerald Rose's song "Freya Shakti" Nice Ethnic music.

Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
I am listening to Impressions, by John Coltrane. Smoke Smilie
Quote:
I am listening to Impressions, by John Coltrane.

Good stuff Melian!

I'm listening to, and getting ready to watch the pregame show for the NFL playoffs on ABC, then it's a full day of football for me as I'll watch both games today!
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
I LISTENING TO MYSELF PLAY THE LORD OF THE RINGS SOUNDTRACK ON PIANO AND GUITAR!!!!! (Guess what I got for Christmas?)
The Seahawks who got plucked (or was that butted) by the Rams today. Oh well under two months until Spring Training.
Matlock on TV
Quote:
The Seahawks who got plucked (or was that butted) by the Rams today. Oh well under two months until Spring Training.

Sorry about the Hawks Grondy, but at least as an Ms fan you have alot to look forward to now! With the additions of Sexon at first, and Beltre at third the Mariners have really injected some much needed pop back into their line-up!

Im enjoying the sound of silence at the moment, save for the computer hum, and the noise of cars passing on wet streets outside.
Elf Smilie
Absolutely nothing!
I am listening to the hum of an electric space heater and to the department store-like strains of smooth jazz coming from my co-workers computer. I have to say I prefer the space heater. . . Elf Winking Smilie
Do That in Real Life another Traveling Jack Flanders story, this time he and Mojo are in New Orleans playijng with a zombie and a voodo princess and of course in a piano bar.
I'm listening to my new Toby Keith: greatest hits vol. 2 in one room and "Somebody" by Reba McEntire. :P I've recently found myself, listening to country, which I've previously hated, but who knows, time changes perspectives...
Quote:
time changes perspectives...

Indeed it does! Elf Winking Smilie
i'm currently listening to absolutely nothing... unless the hum of my computer fan counts?
NPR's All Things Considered.
Im currently watching, and listening to the Steelers vs. the Jets playoff game. Its been a pretty exciting game so far, with the Jets currently ahead 17 to 10.
Super Wow Smilie
Slow Dancer by Robert Plant, a really powerful track (similar to a heavy Kashmir), with both Phil Collins and the late Cozy Powell driving it forward on the drums. Got to be my favourite Zeppelin spin-off track. What energy Jumping Flame Smilie
Johannes Brahms' String Sextet No. 1 in B Flat, Op. 18,
Richard Wagner's Overture to Tannhauser,
Ludwig van Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, 3rd mvt., &
Antonin Dvorak's Humoresque.
Enjoy!!!
~Classicalenlightenment
Antonio Vivaldi
The Four Seasons Elk Grinning Smilie
NPR's On the Media and my version of Joaquin Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez for Guitar and Orchestra.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC championship game. Elf Smilie
NPR's News with Tony Cox.
silverchair - suicidal dream
josh groban: you raise me up
Suicidal dream? That sounds dodgy. I'm listening to the darn cicadas making a racket outside!!!! It's summer, you know. But I WANT to be listening to the two CD collector's edition Phantom of the Opera soundtrack. It's in the Warehouse at last!!!!! But I've already wasted all my money on seeing it three times at the bughouse and Mum is too poor to get it!!!! I"M DYING!!!!!!
NPR's All Things Considered which just started here on the Left Coast.
Special Edition Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack. I love it so much, I've been listening to it since I got it last Monday.
Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor Smile Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] >>