Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What are you listening to?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > What are you listening to?   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] >>
Quote:
Iíve gotten to play that guitar a few times, and every time I touch it, itís just like a jolt of electricity.

Heh, you want to get the pickups earthed in that thing mate! Wink Smilie

Fantastic stuff though. I'm way lazy, I did have a tele set up with super high action and 012 gauge strings, but it narked me right off, so I put it back to my usual 010 set up, with action you can blow on to get a chord. In my defence I play a heck of a lot of gigs and have no intention of suffering from my art. My acoustic has had 011s on it for the last few years, in deference to having killer tone, but I played some other guys the other week when mine committed suicide on stage, he had 010s there, I'd forgotten how easy they are, I'm going back to 010s again, sorry all.

Anyhow enough technical stuff most of you aren't interested iin gauges are you? I can talk about 'em for hours though. Heh...

I'm listening to Marvin Gaye, what's going on.
Eat You Alive -Limp Bizkit
Next: Faint -Linkin Park
After that: Californication -Red Hot Chili Peppers

[Editat el 29/8/2003 per Andrea]
Quote:
Anyhow enough technical stuff most of you aren't interested iin gauges are you? I can talk about 'em for hours though. Heh...

Me too my friend! I use .012's on all of my acoustics, and like I said, .011's on my Strat. I used to run .010's for a long time, but I do a lot of bending (being a blues guy), and I was going through B's and high E's like nobody's business. Plus I noticed a huge difference in tone when I went up to .011's, but enough about that. Maybe we should start a guitar technical talk thread?
Elf Winking Smilie

Quote:
He's more into classical music with his current compositions, isn't he? I know he will be 83 in December and I have his Quartet's Take Five worming in my ear.

Well he has a brand new album that just came out yesterday on Telarc records called Classical Brubeck which he recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra, the London Voices, baritone Alan Opie and the Dave Brubeck Quartet for an incredible 2-CD collection based on sacred text. However for the most part, the vast majority of what he plays is still straight ahead jazz.

The last two albums he released The Crossing (2001), and So Whatís New (1998) are both dominantly jazz records, I own both, and they're outstanding! Iíve had the awesome privilege of seeing him twice now (in 2001, and last night), and both gigs have been 95% jazz. The first time I saw him they did like two or three classical pieces, and sax man, flutist Bobby Militello (one of the best musicians Iíve ever seen) did a solo number on flute that was some far east Japanese type thing, but everything else was straight ahead jazz (and one of the best shows Iíve ever seen in my life).

Unbelievably, I think last nights show was even better! The first time I saw them I thought Militello really stole the show, and Dave was kind of laying back letting the other guys really shine (all the guys in the current line-up are all-star top notch players). Not that Dave wasnít awesome himself the first time by any means, but last night he was really on fire! Dave was in the zone last night, and he was definitely the highlight! Itís so inspirational to watch this 82-year-old master legend of Jazz play like not a moment has passed in the last 50 years.

Dave is still so technically on top of his game, and his playing, and composing is as fresh and vital as ever. They did one number off of the new classical release I mentioned ( Pange Lingua Variations, they played one of the six variations on the record), and they played a tune that they do when he does his annual mass concert, but the rest of the evening was pure jazz all the way (they played for a little over two hours). One of the highlights was definitely when they played a new composition Dave wrote while in London which God willing will be on his next album called London sharp, London flat. Just to prove my point on how technically brilliant he still is, in parts of that particular piece Dave plays a descending run with his left hand thatís all flats, and an ascending run with the right thatís all sharps simultaneously! Absolutely mind blowing!!!!

They closed the show last night with an incredible version of Take Five (the only thing from Time Out they played), but outside of that one tune, the rest of the show was completely different than the last time I saw them. I guess you can do that when your repertoire is over 400 songs strong! Amazingly Dave still does around 200 gigs per year. Not bad for an 82 year old guy (lol)! Plus Dave is soooo funny when he talks to the crowd, he really draws the audience in, and makes you feel like youíre watching the quartet in his living room. I had second row seats last night, on Daveís side of the stage, and I was like 10 feet away from him the entire time. I started tearing up when he first came out, and I couldnít believe that I was standing 10 feet away from one of the most important figures in the history of jazz. Last nights show was easily one of the top three shows Iíve ever seen in my entire life! I will forever cherish the memories, and I sincerely hope with all of my heart that I get another chance to see him again! Well enough of my babbling, back to Bird!
Tongue Smilie

I was listening to my rendition of Mozart's Divertimento No. 10 in F Major, K.247 about 35 minutes of horns and strings the way I did it.

Now its my rendition of Vivaldi's Violin Concerto Opus 3, No. 10 in B minor, RV580
The Crystal Method - Busy Child
Descendents- Pervert.

Might go start the muso's guild over in Misc guilds then Elfy...
LOTR: TTT Soundtract.
I am listening to Ena May it be an Evenstar shines down upon you. It is a very touching song.
Leftfield - Renegade Soundwave

I've been looking for this for about a year and I finally found it on iMesh yesterday. Big Smile Smilie
Kent - Socker

Lovely song. I love Kent.
Mars - Pump up the volume.
Jack Flanders and Dreams of the Blue Morpho a ZBS Production.
My friend babble excessively in my ear Wink Smilie
Grooverider - Time + Space
The not so sweet sounds of a really annoying jackhammer thatís been running all morning as some guys are doing some construction about a block away. Arggh, itís really starting to bug me!
Disturbed Smilie
Hmm.... nothing right now, but I'm about to put on the radio.... so now I'm listening to Numb by Linkin Park
Electric Six - I'm the Bomb
Get Down, Make Love by Queen
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Doobie Brothers,not sure what the song is called though. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Rage Against the Machine - Sleep Now in the Fire
Breathe -The Prodigy
O, it just ended, now it's someone I don't know, so I'm listening to a song by someone I don't know Wink Smilie Big Laugh Smilie
Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
Ruby 6 The Illusionati. Another in ZBS's Space Opera Series. Cool Elf Smilie
The Darknes - Growing on me.
Nightwish - Sacrament of Wilderness
Faith no more - King for a day, fool for a lifetime

Then I'm going to listen to New order - Low life
wouldn't you rather be in love?-Dave Dobyn
Bob Marley - Stir it up
David Gray-White Ladder
My grandfather. Smile Smilie He's Cool Smilie
Nothing! Big Smile Smilie
The sound of myself practicing for the next two hours! Elf Winking Smilie
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile
Im also listening to Jimi Hendrix but the song Foxey Lady
My oh my-David Grey
Songs from a room - Leanard Cohen
the dating game song -icp
Shojin - Solar Storm
Collective Soul-Shine
I don't know the name of the song, or the artist, but part of it goes:

My blood runs cold
My memory has just been sold
My angel is the centerfold
Angel is the centerfold

It's a really good song Big Smile Smilie
Radio broadcast from Southbend, Indiana where the score in the American pigskin type football game at halftime is Washington State University 19, Notre Dame 3. And WSU my alma mata, was supposed to be the underdog.

We were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in overtime: WSU 26, ND 29.

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by Grondmaster]
§Im listening to the news Smile Smilie §
The early morning birds.
Acctually, there aren't any here right now, I wonder where they have gone to? Ugh, ok then, so: I'm listening to the silence of the morning and my body complaining. Tongue Smilie
A telemarketer asking if I want free life insurance...
Ok I hung up on him, so I can get back to Nelly- Country Grammar
Them- Baby please don't go
Leftfield's live set at Homelands 2001.
My mutha doing chores
Electric Six - I invented the night
Something by Pearl Jam I think...
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] >>