Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: If you could have an Elvish sword...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > If you could have an Elvish sword...   
Linta would be my first choice. It's Quenyan for "swift"
No doubt in my mind that I would take three swords....Anglachel, Glamdring and Ringil! Definately those swords....without a doubt in my head!
I would name mine Lissequalmë, Quenya for Sweet Death.
Or maybe Tindanasta, Silver Sting.
You may heave heard that Celebrian and I are vikings in a viking play a couple of weeks in the summer.
http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album24&id=Ama_CelebrianVikings&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
One of the girls there has named the sword she uses Pejder, a name usually only owned by elderly men. Ha Ha Ha Smilie

I've tried to find a name for "my" sword, but I haven't come up with something yet. Maybe "Skarptann"- Sharp tooth. (Which would be kinda ironic too, as the aluminium swords we use don't even have something that resembles an edge Wink Smilie )

Hum.. Acctually, I think that naming a sword without looking at it is hard. A sword can have many different qualities, and I think you should name your sword after its best quality. Therefore I can't say what I'd name it too, it would all depend on the sword.

Though I liked Peredhil's suggestion Lissequalmë = Sweet Death.
Hehe, Aire, how about Airehyando, Holy Cleaver. Wink Smilie
Oh...you guys meant name the sword? I don´t know elvish.....I speak ENGLISHTongue Smilie and besides...there is no substitute for the swords Anglachel, Glamdring and Ringil!Tongue Smilie
Akhâsada, Into the Void.
Yes, it's silly to name an Elvish sword in Adûnaic. If I had to do Sindarin, maybe Therilind, Song of Power (is that right?), or something similar.

[Edited on 10/15/2003 by Arcormacolindóva]
I like Arco's name 'Into the Void'; it's Cúmanna in Quenya.

Another one: Umbarúruva, Fiery Doom, but it's not as good as some of the others.
I'd name mine Anduril 2. Or Anguirel 2. Heh.
Well I think it's a little easy, vir, don't you? Wink Smilie

perhaps Elfëa, spirit of Star?? Is it correct, pere?
Spirit of Star would be Fëa Eleno. Smile Smilie
Thanx Per!! Jumping Flame Smilie
Quote:
Hehe, Aire, how about Airehyando, Holy Cleaver. Wink Smilie

Lol, that would actually be really cool! Though I though Crist meant cleaving? Weird.
Crist isn't a Quenya word. It might be Sindarin, but I don't think so. Elf Confused Smilie
Crist is Noldorin for cleaver.

Tyeldelyan, For Your End. (Or Metyalyen)
That's a bit of a tongue-twister!

Or, Lanya Umbarwa, Fateweaver (is that right?)
(Manaðnathron? Ammath-nathron?)

Perhaps Tíra Olórilvan, Guardian of Our Dreams. (Though that's a bit morbid. Wink Smilie

I'd name my sword "The Defender" but I have no idea how it will sound in Elvish!
Quote:
Perhaps Tíra Olórilvan, Guardian of Our Dreams.

I love that one,I'd pick that one,morbid or not. Wink Smilie
Quote:
Or, Lanya Umbarwa, Fateweaver (is that right?)
It would become Umbarva Lanyo.
Would you all mock me if I admited that I'd probaly name my sword Bob? Very Mad Smilie Wha Why are you looking at me like that? Bob is a fine name for a sword!
Quote:
Would you all mock me if I admited that I'd probaly name my sword Bob? Very Mad Smilie Wha Why are you looking at me like that? Bob is a fine name for a sword!
True, but only if it is a short sword. A long sword might be named Ferdinand Reginald Cartwright-Curuthers-Smyth III. A broad sword could be Babs; a rapier should be Slim, a symitar should Terry; and a Katana should be Kate or Kat. Wiggle Smilie
In the roleplays my swords called "Brilthor" - it means "Glittering torrent" Smile Smilie
Quote:
True, but only if it is a short sword. A long sword might be named Ferdinand Reginald Cartwright-Curuthers-Smyth III. A broad sword could be Babs; a rapier should be Slim, a symitar should Terry; and a Katana should be Kate or Kat. Wiggle Smilie

Ah, but a good name for a sword is one that can be used as part of your battle cry. Therefor I think that Fernando is a good name for a sword aswell! Can you imagin the looks of horror upon the faces of your foes, as you charged into battle yelling "CAN YOU HERE THE DRUMS FERNANDO!?"
I'm telling you, the only thing scaryer than that is Staying Alive by the BeeGees...played on an organ! Eek! Super Scared Smilie
Qualtuvan Laiquelassë;
I will kill Legolas. Lol he's OK in the books, but Orlando Bloom is just a figure for girls to stare at in the movie. No one would be staring at him if some ugly, fat guy played him. So, I will kill movie-Legolamb.
J/k :P
Orlando Bloom? *drools*
And, when it comes to a fat Legolas, your wrong Arcormacolindóva. If Jonny Vegas was playing Legolas I'd still be starring. After all, its not what a person looks like that counts, and I thing Jonny's quite sweet in a constantly drunk kinda way. I can imagine it now.

Legolas: We cannot linger. The pub shuts in half an hour and I still aven't had a pint!

Big Smile Smilie