Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia from Tolkien's Books

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > Trivia from Tolkien's Books   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]
Correct, Grondy! You get the next question.
Yet I've always found it strange that there were never any hobbits called Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin, there were only Maura, Ban, Kali and Razar.
I only found the fact out recently though, so I suppose I've just got to get used to it.
Three groups of hobbits lived in the village of Tighfield, what was the know occupation of one of Sam's relatives that lived there?
Ropemaking by any chance Grondy.

Hey Grondy, can't a male have a name like Evenstar?? Can he not be an evenstar of his people?
Undomiel has the correct answer, so should post the next question.
Quote:
Hey Grondy, can't a male have a name like Evenstar?? Can he not be an evenstar of his people?

Well, I'm a liberal about such things, so I don't see any problem with it; however, I suppose there are a few sticklers who would frown on the use of the name for a male. I think it really depends on one's culture, in our culture the evenstar, Venus is considered female, but there may be other cultures where it is male. In Tolkien's world the evenstar is the Silmaril worn on Eärendil's forehead as he sails his good ship Vingilot through the skies.
If you want a more definitive answer Undomiel, I'd suggest you post your question in a new thread under Characters.
Name the king of Gondor who married one of the northerner?
Aragorn? Arwen was from the north.
I meant the king who married Vidugavia. The king of Stoningland who married Vidugavia, of the northerners, the fore-runners of the Mark.
Ah, That Gondorian King name of Valacar didn't marry Vidugavia, king of Rhovanion, he married Vidugavia's daughter, Vidumavi.
Sorry, :P so what was the name of the king?
Valacar?
Right and it is your turn to take the ball.
What was Thorin Oakenshield's sword called?
Orcrist?
Yes, also 'goblin cleaver' and Biter. Undomiel's turn.

Here's one I posted when I first joined:

Who was the grandfather of Bergil?

Baranor. Had to look this one up Wink Smilie

Who made the Doors of Moria (the one overlooking Eregion)?

Narvi made them.

But who drew the signs?

Celebrimbor Smile Smilie

Which city was the Capital of Numenor

Armenelos

What was the haven of the Faithful in Numenor?

Romena

Which infamous Goblin slew Thror

That would Azog, who branded his name on Thror's head.

Who was the son of Azog then?

Bolg

How did Thorin Oakenshield get the second part of his name?

<< [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]