Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: LOTR Quiz

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > LOTR Quiz   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] >>
Who in the Shire was Sam's nemesis?
Ted Sandyman.
Correct, Turin's turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who called Frodo "my little cock-a-whoop"?
Leader of the ruffians at Bywater
Yep, nice job.
Who was the grandfather of Bergil?
Found it: Baranor of Lossarnach; had to look on two different places in the chapter to find who and from where. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Well done, wasn't too tricky then
What was the War Cry of Gimli, son of Glóin?
He had several, but I believe one of his most common was "Khazad-ai-menu!" or something to that effect, meaning "The Dwarves are upon you!"
Good enough, I was also, looking Baruk Khazâd! which was said before your answer; however...Turin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who commanded Gwaihir to look for Gandalf?
Galadriel? Though I think she asked, rather than commanded, but I may be wrong.
Correct, and in exchange she gave him a cracker.
I don't think so, Elf With a Big Grin Smilie as the Great Eagles being raptors are not vegetarian, they prefer meat. Still that cracker may have been English, as in their Christmas treat, with which he, Gwaihir might use to scare away any crebain that tried to follow him and Gandalf as they escaped from the wreckage of Durin's Tower. Teacher Smilie

Who said to whom about what? 'In three such boats we rowed down Anduin to the Falls.'
Sounds like Frodo to Faramir.
Yes it was, Happy Elf Smilie after Faramir related his dream-vision of seeing Boromir in his funeral watercraft.
What part of the hobbits' tale did Butterbur find most shocking?
That they had met the King, him with the golden chalice and all?
Very close.
When he knew Strider was the King?
I think so too, ask us another one Thinker.
Correct again.
What is the name of the pony who bear Frodo to shire from Minas Tirith?
Strider.

What was the elvish name for the Brandywine?
Oooh Oooh! Pick me! Baranduin? I do believe?
Quote:
What is the name of the pony who bear Frodo to shire from Minas Tirith?
I don't believe it was named in the book. And as Sam and Frodo rode along side King Elessar from Minas Tirith to Edoras, I doubt if it would have been called "Strider". I just can't see Frodo talking to his pony and the King answering in confusion and then being bent out of shape having a pony named after himself. It just wouldn't be done. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Lunatteo had the correct name for the Bandywine River, so he should pose the next question. Happy Elf Smilie
'She' if you please Wink Smilie *curtsies*

Anyhow... hrooom. Hope I don't get one someone's already asked. >.<

Alright. By whom and when came mention of the saying "Go not to the elves for council, for they will say both yes and no"?

And I thought it was Strider too, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
I don't believe it was named in the book

isn't it in the chapter "Grey Heavens"? i think it is said when they're going to Grey Heavens.
It is named in the book. I'm not sure of the chapter because I didn't have to look it up, but it is in one of the final chapters and most likely the Grey Havens.
Found it! It is Strider:

Chapter: The Grey Havens
Beginning of the 6th 'section' (After where Frodo writes his title into Bilbo's Book)
"On September the twenty-first they set out together, Frodo on the pony that had borne him all the way from Minas Tirith, and was now called Strider; and Sam on his beloved Bill."
Thanks for the help Lun.

I believe that was Frodo talking to Gildor. (As a side note, if you want trivia that deals exclusively with quotes, try the Quote Game)

What is Treebeard's motto?

So it was Strider after all. Well, well, another time Grondy by applying logic, got psyched by Tolkien. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Treebeard's moto: 'Cut no tree before its time'?
Incorrect!
Yup yup, Frodo and Gildor...

Well I'm gonna go with the "Don't be hasty" motto... I'm sure there's something more involved than that words wise, but it seems like that'd be his 'thing', so to speak.
And you are correct.
Sweet!

Okay, hroom...

What was the cause of Snowmane's fall that mortally wounded Theoden?
Pierced by a black dart
Yup! Big Smile Smilie
Who began the incantation
"cold be hand and heart and bone"
That was the barrow-wight.

According to Faramir, what happens in Gondor when Cirith Ungol is named?
Strong men blanch?
No
its old men and masters of lore who blanch
Strong Men of Gondor do not blanch presumably
Yeah, and they fall silent too.

Your turn Gwindor.
Yes they do, The old men anyway.
The Strong Men of Gondor are already silent since they're the strong, silent type. at least in my view.

So,
What weapon did Helm Hammerhand use to slay his enemies during the Long Winter?
It was his bare hands if i remember correctly.
Just his hands.

Who was the man that Aragorn and co. found in the Paths of the Dead?
Baldor, son of Brego?
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] >>