Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: LOTR Quiz

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > LOTR Quiz   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] >>
Yep.
Why couldn't Sam have been eavesdropping when Gandalf caught him clipping grass in the dark.
His clippers made too much noise.
Cause there ain't no eaves in Bag End?
Gwindor has it; he gets to ask the next one. Happy Elf Smilie
What Elvish name did Strider take when he became King?
Elessar.

Why was Pippin surprised when Gandalf met with Treebeard outside of Isengard? (After he got over the surprise of Gandalf being alive)
Because Gandalf didn't box Pippin's ears and call him, "Fool of a Took!" for all the damage that Isengard had recently been subjected?
Not quite...
That Treebeard had known Gandalf was alive regardless of what Merry and Pippin had told him, but he hadn't refuted their tale as they were telling it.

I don't know his reason for this subterfuge; does anyone?
Yeah, Pippin was surprised that neither of them were surprised about seeing each other there.

Quite frankly, I don't know, but I remember someone saying that none of the wise would talk of Gandalf or his doings when he wasn't present.
Sort of like the homily, 'Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you will land in trouble too big for you.' Which is another way of saying, 'Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, or words to that effect.

Who made either or both of those statements?
First one sounds like the Gaffer (to Sam), but it could also be Pippin to Merry when he looked in the Orthanc stone

The wizards quote was originally Gildor's and then Pippin said it to Merry.
Yup, Gwindor's turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who's knees shook,and was wroth with himself?
Frodo, climbing down from the Ephel Dúath without a rope?
Nope, it was another member of the Fellowship

Gimli at the door of the dead in Dunharrow
Did Aragorn and co. take their horses with them on the Paths of the dead?
Yes, they walked them through. I think they may even have blindfolded their horses, but I can't remember how accurate that is.
Quite right, although Legolas just spoke to them. I was half expecting someone to say no, since that's what happened in the film, but there's no fooling you.
Your turn then I believe
For how many rivers was Ossiriand known?
Was it 7?
Yes, as in the 'Seven Rivers of Ossir'.

Gwindor's turn.
Where were the "Icemen" from?
Forochel?
Yup, your turn
How many Dwarves did it take each time they carried the sleeping Bombur.
It took 'six young dwarves to carry him to his table', in Erebor.
So I'll guess four in Mirkwood
Four is correct, the others took turns carrying the packs of those four porters, which was quite easy to do, as all their packs were getting quite light due to their lack of food.

So it is Gwindor's turn again.
Who did Bilbo give an (empty) bookcase to on his birthday?
To Hugo Bracegirdle: to have a place to store all the non-returned books he had borrowed from Bilbo.

How many toes on Treebeard's feet?
ten?(five for a foot)
Nope, Orc Sad Smilie he had more toes than that. Try again. Orc Smiling Smilie
Six Grondy?
More...
12 -on each foot?
Fewer than 12, more than 6 toes per foot. Elf Winking Smilie

Hint: He had an odd number of toes on each foot . Teacher Smilie
9 Grondy?
Too many. Elf Winking Smilie
Found it - 7 toes a foot
Correct Gwindor; your turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who was Wormtongue the son of?
Well, I'll have to look it up, but I know Gandalf used it during one of his tongue lashings of Grima in Edoras, else it was on the steps of Orthanc. No, it was right after Gandalf had to restrain Gimli from shortening Grima's height by a head when he insulted Galadriel on their arrival in the Golden Hall. Gandalf then recited an ancient Rohirrim poem about her and then called him, Grima son of Gálmód.
An absolutely correct and extensive answer, Grondmaster.
Your turn then
How many travelers comprised the Fellowship of the Ring and explain in 500 words or less why that particular number?
Twas nine. I believe Elrond's explanation was that it was nine walkers to match the nine riders. Also, it had to be of a small size since they wanted to travel inauspiciously.
Correct answer, Turin gets to pose the next question. Happy Elf Smilie

I believe "inauspiciously" pertains to ill-omened or unfortunate, so I think "clandestinely" might be a better choice for the above adverb. Teacher Smilie

What were the two great havens of The Falas?

Incidentally, you are absolutely correct Grondmaster. I don't know what I was thinking.
Birthombar and Eglarest?
Sounds correct to me; go ahead and ask the next one. Happy Elf Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] >>