Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Did you know....

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Ivy Bush > Did you know....   [1] [2] >>
The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds. (What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.

Anyone got any others???
Quote:
Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.

No, but at least some of them can fly.
Quote:
No, but at least some of them can fly.
I was going to say 'Only in your stupor!', but then I remembered big eared Dumbo.

Chicken's are so dumb they'll run around for a few minutes after their heads have been chopped off. (Hence 'Running around like a chicken with its head cut off' is the definition of "frenzied". )
Four is the only numerical word in the English language whose letters equal the number. So I am told.

Blue whales are so big that a human baby would be able to crawl through their arteries.
Turkeys are so dumb they'll stare UP into rain until it runs down into their nostrils and drowns them. Domestic turkeys, anyway; I understand wild turkeys are quite cunning. For a bird brain anyway; birds are only advanced until mammals, particularly carnivorous ones, at which point birds are just feathered reptiles with much higher metabolisms.
Did you know... for the complete health of your digestive track, it is recommended that one chews 23 times per bite? 23 or 24.

Try it...
Oh shucks! Now I have to count while eating too.
Quote:
Oh shucks! Now I have to count while eating too.
Well, After changing your name to 'The Count', you could put on a high collared black cape, a wig with an enhanced widows peak, and a pair of long upper canine teeth. "1 chewy-chew, 2 chewy-chew, another chewy-chew that's 3 chewey chews..."
Did you know... Neither Grondy nor LA86 can count properly. Dunce Smilie
That's true, I often forget to include the numbers that are divisible by seven causing my friends to think I cheated when playing hide and seek. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Did you know that the female of our species can't touch her elbows together behind her back?
are you saying im a woman.....
or do you just say that to see if they try....
:P
The biggest dinosaur everfound had an vertebra of around 8 feet. I believe the invertebra (or the entire dinosaur) was named Amphilicoes fragillimus (sp) and scientists estimated its size of 60 meters long (twice a Blue wales length), 9 meters high and about 150 tonnes (this is the same weight as the Blue wale, and for land animals that is extremely heavy).
A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight was

The first owner of Marlboro cigarettes died of lung cancer

Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible

ok, there's a few...lol...Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
~Porcupines float in water.
~The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
~A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
~Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
~142857 is a cyclic number, the numbers of which always appear in the same order but rotated around when multiplied by any number from 1 to 6. 142857 * 2 = 285714 142857 * 3 = 428571 142857 * 4 = 571428 142857 * 5 = 714285 142857 * 6 = 857142

... because these things are important Rolling Eyes Smilie
Good to know, but that is one of the mysteries of the Earth, maybe our neighbours form Mars could help with explaining *gets space helmet* Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
The machine gun was invented by a doctor hoping to save lives. Disturbed Smilie Very Mad Smilie
Good thing he didn't invent it to destroy lives. Super Scared Smilie
Did you know that billabongs are only found in australia?
Did you know that one sense of 'dude' means a hair on an elephant's butt?
Did you know that i didnt know anything posted on this thread up tho this point Big Smile Smilie
Did you know that I didn't know that?
Quote:
The machine gun was invented by a doctor hoping to save lives.

Are you sure about that? Could you supply me with some proof please? Not that I don't believe you but i was just looking up that information for a joke and realized I'm not sure which style of machine gun you are referring to? The Maxim(1879)? The Gatling(1861)? The mitrailleuse(1860s)?

I was going to make a lame joke and say that "if" a doctor created a machine theoretically maybe he did create it to save lives.... his Country mens lives.
Did you know 'Legolas' is Hungarian for 'dung beetle'?
The Gatling.
If I remember correctly, Dr. Gatling felt his machine gun was so devestating that it would make war obsolete. It didn't work, but the thought was there. Sad Smilie

Did you know the three primary colors of light (red, green, and blue) are different than the three primary pigment colors (red, yellow, and blue)? And the actual primary pigment colors are in reality magenta, yellow, and cyan?
No belly button, how grotesque and bizzare(one of Sherlock Holmes favorite sayings)

Northern Ireland has the youngest population in the UK, 25 % are under 16 and 37% under 25

Almost half the population of Northern Ireland lives within a 15 mile radius of Belfast City Centre.
Did you know that history has a strange tendency of repeating itself?
Did you know that history has a strange tendency of repeating itself?
Did you know a pack of crows is called a 'murder'?

I've known that for many years because I always get a kick out of saying "Looks at that murder or crows!"

Quote:
Vee
Four is the only numerical word in the English language whose letters equal the number. So I am told.

What about a million? 7 digits = 7 letters.
Did you know it was once the law to say "God bless you" to one who sneezed?

A fresh egg will sink in water...a stale one won't?
A mosquito has 47 teeth.

Despite the hump, a camelĺs spine is straight.

Everyone's tongue print is different.
You can't roller-skate in a herd of buffalo.
Every night, wasps bite into the stem of a plant, lock their mandibles (jaws) into position, stretch out at right angles to the stem, and, with legs dangling, fall asleep.
Did you know I am having a headache?
Did you know that their is a Planet Tolkien group on Hi5?
No, hum a few bars and I'll fake it.

Do you know Ned?
Nope, and I'm beginning to think that people bearing that name are on the verge of extinction. Who's ever met a real Ned?
I believe "Ned" is the diminutive of "Edward" or "Edmund".

Below is a joke my sister, our hired girl, and I made up (or thought we did) and laughed up a storm over and over every time we repeated it. Sounds pretty lame now, but back then, when we didn't have Comedy Central, it was hilarious. Didn't take much to entertain we American farm kids, almost sixty years ago.

'Do you know Ned?'

'Yes, I know Ned.'

'We buried him yesterday.'

'What, Ned's dead?'

'Naw, he's just trying to be different.'
Well, it certainly brings a smile to your face. Smile Smilie
Did you know: the Joker, Batman's nemesis, actually has a smile that goes from ear to ear.
When my brother and I were children, if we were playing too loud or wildly our mother would say we were 'tearing up Ned' Just her way of speaking, she had a lot of very colorful expressions.
I seem to remember "Old Ned," like "Old Scratch," was a euphemism for the Devil.

'Olympus Mons towers some 25 kilometers (almost 15 miles) above the Martian plains, nearly three times the height of Mount Everest.' It is the solar system's largest known volcano; though the super-volcanoes of Yellowstone Park and Sumatra will surely cause more devastation next time they chance to erupt.
Quote:
the super-volcanoes of Yellowstone Park and Sumatra will surely cause more devastation next time they chance to erupt.

Did you know that if this happen it might cause another mighty tsunami? (Sumatra's volcano at least)
Did you know if it happens in Yellowstone Park, it will bury the East Coast in ash and will probably start another Ice Age
Did you know that Nostradamus had predicted that the world would end in 3786?
Did you know that rabbits have a double row of teeth?
Did you know mushrooms have no teeth? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Hopefully not even in my dreams! Orc Grinning Smilie
Did you know that if you deleted Grondy's 21403 post PT would be very empty and less fun? Elk Grinning Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie
Did you know that Grondy have an E-dog to eat his answer posts? Dog Smilie
Yes, I heard something about his having made some lame excuse.

Did you know a hummingbird can fly backwards?
  [1] [2] >>