Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Um...quick question?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > Um...quick question?   [1] [2] >>
What a short post! Viewed by the rest of the non-Tolkien/non-geek world, yes we are, definitely. Everyone is probably a geek in the eyes of someone else, or am I just trying to make us all feel better? On the whole I'd say we're the biggest bunch of geeks any of us will ever see! Tongue Smilie I enjoy being a geek though, especially with such nice eople as everyone on PT. I
Okay, well for one thing, we're all obssessed by Tolkien books, yeah? for two things, we're talking on the internet yeah? For three things, I've noticed a lot of us like Star Trek as well yeah?
Can you think of any things more synonymous with the word Geek? I can't, but what's wroing with a little geekiness here and there?
It's not like we bite the heads off chickens for money.
Why can't it be cool to be a geek?

(what exactly is a geek anyway?)
Geek: n. U.S. Slang 1. a freak in a carnival troupe whose act consists of eating live animals.
2. any freakish or perverted person; degeneratate. (World Book Dictionary).

So there it is, it is highly unlikely that Tolkienites are geeks. Big Smile Smilie But then again, I don't know what all Tolkienites do for a living. There may be a few who bite the head off live chickens for all I know.
Girl Smilie (raising her GEEK flag proudly...tears in her eyes to finally know her place in the world)

MY PEOPLE! It's good to be surrounded by such fine geeks as yourselves.
Big Smile Smilie Yay! Geeks rulz! Whoohooooo!
But seriously geeks truly rule the world...
*Salutes the GEEK flag as it unfurls and the enormosity of its meaning fell upon me and tears rolls down my eyes...*
It seems to me we need an anthem...any suggestions?
Sorry I cannot chant when my mouth's full of chicken heads.
a grand idea val. The Chicken Dance it is. And if I may include the VERY moving lyrics:

deedle deedle deedle dump. (na na na na na na not.)
deedle deedle deedle dump. (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP)

It's only the first verse but that's where all the emotion is.

Our salute shall be the flapping motions.

[Edited on 22/2/2003 by musicimprovedme]
ROTFLMAOWTIME

...with tears in mine eyes--saves wear-and-tear on the washing machine and is much more hygenic.
So...I'm gonna just risk it...bleep away mods if you must.

Who's gonna be the Chief Pecker in this new little operaton?
Why don't we have a vote then? Big Smile Smilie
*bites the head of a chicken*

I vote for Foghorn Leghorn....
LOL Big Laugh Smilie

After you bite off the head of its kin??? Hmmmm Very Big Grin Smilie
Who or what is Foghorn Leghorn?
Quote:
Okay, well for one thing, we're all obssessed by Tolkien books, yeah? for two things, we're talking on the internet yeah? For three things, I've noticed a lot of us like Star Trek as well yeah?
Can you think of any things more synonymous with the word Geek? I can't, but what's wroing with a little geekiness here and there?
It's not like we bite the heads off chickens for money.

Hey, I'd like to point out that I don't like Star Trek (no offense to those who do, I've just never gotten into it), but as I must confess to the first two, I will proudly flap my arms with pride amoung the rest of you. Wiggle Smilie

Thanks for clearing this up for me, guys!! I'd been having an identity crisis. Cool Smilie
Well, technically, we are in our own little world, so we cant be geeks. They are probably geeks in our eyes, am i right?And PLastic, i dont like Star Trek

[Edited on 23/2/2003 by Delidia]
Quote:
Fat 6-foot Looney Tunes chicken.
Quote:
Quote:
Fat 6-foot Looney Tunes chicken.
And patterened as I remember after the radio character Senator Cleghorn a loud mouthed southern politician and possibly a gentleman.

From http://www.angelfire.com/mi/villeville/foghorn.html
Quote:
Foghorn Legorn was a loudmouthed rooster created in 1946 by new director Robert McKimson. He was based on Danny Kelmar's Senator Cleghorn character on "Allen's Alley."

'Shoemaker stick to your last. And this is my last.' (Strangled Eggs, 1961)

'Keep your eye on the ball-Eye! Ball! Eyeball! That's a joke, son.' (The Foghorn Leghorn, 1948)

'That's the first time somebody else shot my mouth off!' (The Dixie Fryer, 1960)
I was thinking when Foghorn Leghorn was mentioned that maybe the little fella that Foggy said this to

Quote:
'Keep your eye on the ball-Eye! Ball! Eyeball! That's a joke, son.' (The Foghorn Leghorn, 1948)

would be a good candidate. You know? He didn't talk, he just did calculations and everything he did worked better than what Foghorn did. He looked like Tweety Bird with glasses. I will see if I can find a pic somewhere on the net of this little guy in case you don't know who I'm talking about...and edit if I do find one.

EDITING: Yep, ah say, yep. I did find that picture. Click below for both candidates. I think the little guy on the left is MUCH geekier than Foghorn Leghorn...and he always wins. So I will throw his name in the hat to be our leader.

OH yeah, and I like Star Trek too. Just Next Generation though. They are a good cast...I like most of 'em. Data, Picard, Deana Troi, and Jordy LaForge. Riker is a bit of a pansy....and who is that little Big Eared Fellow with the pointy teeth who's always gambling? I think he is a Ferengi...he's kind of cute...for his species.

Quote:
http://www.dragg.net/users/pennywitt/foghorn/Foghorn5.htm

[Edited on 24/2/2003 by musicimprovedme]
Quote:
....and who is that little Big Eared Fellow with the pointy teeth who's always gambling? I think he is a Ferengi...he's kind of cute...for his species.

Do you mean Quark from Deep Space 9?

(Btw, all of you who say you don't like Trek, I bet you like Star Wars though don't you? Geeks Wink Smilie)
ME? a candidate?

I don't know, I would have to think about the effect of a political career on the other aspects of my (non)existence.

I'll let you know.

Yes, strictly speaking according to the definition of the word GEEK (thank you Rednell), Alice Cooper would seem to be the logical choice. I don't think, seein's how I've never bitten the head off anything alive or dead (assuming that gingerbread people don't count) that I am really qualified to oppose Alice Cooper...or Foghorn Leghorn...or Egghead Jr. for that matter. Perhaps someone should call Ozzy Osbourne.
I'm flattered though, thanks for having the confidence in me. Kissies to P!!
I proudly say I'm a fan of neither.
I like science fiction to a point but I'm not all consumed by it. I used to watch Next Generation with an old boyfriend...only a partial geek he was...and I also love the Star Wars movies. More than anything it is the storyline that got me into that, not the space part, you know...the good vs evil, the characters, etc. I also like this show on the Sci Fi channel called Sliders. But that is truly about it, I used to catch "Red Dwarf" on public television here that was pretty cool, that was a BBC show huh?

So anyway, do we have anymore candidates for our fearless Geek leader? Maybe someone from Revenge of the Nerds, anyone 'cept Booger. Or maybe one of YOU should run things?
If it's one of us I would vote for you Music. Or if we're still into the whole chicken thing, there's no one better than Alice Cooper. Chicken Smilie
Then there is Henry the Chickenhawk who was about half the size of the little feller with Foghorn.
I wear my geekiness as a badge of honor. Read my siggy Big Smile Smilie

Speaking of Red Dwarf, wasn't there supposed to be a movie 'er something?

Aw say, aw say that's a mighty big hammer you got yourself there, Morgoth... wish I had m'self a tool like that.
Insert brilliant sociological commentary here:

Isn't it interesting how when a group is formed we immediately seek leadership? Hmmmmmm.

Hey Proggy, long time no see! Where ya been hidin?

[Edited on 25/2/2003 by musicimprovedme]
You falsely accuse Alice, he didn't kill the chicken, poor guy was from detroit, didn't know it couldn't fly so he chucked it off the stage in to the crowd who (amusingly enough it was mainly the first 3 rows of disabled gig-goers) tore the poor chicken to pieces.

Now Ozzy did bite the head off of a bat, also unwittingly, as he thought it was a rubber one.

So candidate no. 1 is Ted Nugent (of the D@mn Yankees) who used to willingly bite the heads off of Rats on stage.

And yeah, there is meant to be a Dwarf movie coming soon, for more info seek you http://www.reddwarf.co.uk
Who would have ever imagined that we would look to the halls of heavy metal to find a geek leader?

If Rednell hadn't set us on the straight and narrow we would have been looking in the wrong place.

Maybe we are not geeks after all...just nerds. But I hear we make the best lovers.
I'd rather be a geek than a nerd, I think.
But I shouldn't think unless you are very kinky indeed, that you would find it very easy for geeks to get a date, what with all the blood and guts and bad breath and all? Nerds on the other hand, tend to be very well read and educated...and may jump at the chance to apply their accumulated knowledge to the actual real life experience of an encounter with someone they want to make happy for the evening.

In that case, onward, my fellow nerds. Onward, to ┐nerdihood? Big Laugh Smilie
Big Laugh Smilie I was thinking more along the lines of freaky geek, but who am I to say.... Big Smile Smilie ....and I don't think it is any easier for a nerd to find a date than for a geek.
nerds, geeks, what's all this labeling. You say we all want a leader, I say we havent gotten a team. We need uniforms, and to develop our song. We need handshakes and connections with top government officials. We're to busy forming to be anything. That's where out power lies. We're unpredictable and we like it that way. Face the truth, we all want to be something else every day, and the reason we don't do it is so we don't get caught. Keep up the good work, remember to read Yogi Berra. Smoke Smilie
OK. (banging the gavel)

I am hereby reconvening the geek club. We do not eat or maim live animals. We do obsess about geeky things like science fiction and roleplaying games and computers. We still need a leader and as soon as I rally us back together, I will step down because this is way too much pressure. And then there is the matter of what we will do once we have rallied. But that is for the new leader to decide. I would put my vote on reconfiguring our collective image.
It seems to me that a geeky yet fun thing to do would be to plan a group get-together off the internet. Like for real in a real place. I am not in the position to attend but as soon as I get settled someplace I would love to meet some of you that are local to me, get a drink, trash a hotel, whatever. Does anyone know if there have been any PT parties between folks who met here first?
Nope, we're all too lazy, me Val and Taz have often talked about getting together sometime, as we're all in the same country at least, and if I'd been in London for longer than 19 hours last week, I would have gone and had a pint or two with Taz, but I wasn't, so I didn't. As far as I know there have been no get-togethers at all.
I do, however, propose that everyone who can comes down to Devon in December and we all go watch ROTK together ( I can't get the time off work to go anywhere in December) that would be great.
Ross stages a millitary coup of the new founded state of Geeksylvania, waa haa haa haa haa. New motto " The Geek shall inherit the earth!", new philosophy Star wars is much better than Star trek (Peredhil from now on you agree with this!). Our national anthem is "Always look on the bright side of life" and our related secret password to recognise each other is "I'm Brian and so's my wife!".

Right roll call of honour; the following geek's grazed their knee's during my millatary coup!
Kermit the Frog (he fell of my monitor I was typing so hard)

Position's available in my new Goverment:
Emperor (already taken by Ross)
Chief information officer
Foriegn secretary
Home secretary (position given to Taz as without him, my sorry our realm dissapates into the ether!)
Chief justace

(please note this is not a democracy, republic or even a fuedal system, absolutely everything Emperor Ross say's goes)

Events;
Executions of normals take place every morning at 10.00 GMT attendance is mandatory!
Evening prayer take place every evening at 22.00 GMT, you must quote nonsensical phrases from Monty Pythons Flying Circus' Sketches or Films!

Your highness...(that's you Ross)...begging your pardon sir...if I have ever made you laugh, then perhaps I could be the court jester? I would probably be very good at it, both unintentionally and on purpose.
Ok musicimprovedme I grant you the title of Court jester and Asteroth you can be Chief fancier of hot swedish babes! Wink Smilie
Quote:
P.S : Aire,Keep Out!!!

That's my Chief fancier of hot swedish babes! Big Smile Smilie
Well...I wouldn't want this thread to be forgotten so in my attempt to revive it let me say this....Geeks in the world unite!
And Ross, "What are we going to do tonight Ross?" (Insert Pinky and the Brain theme) Big Smile Smilie
The Same thing we do every night.......

Quote:
Yuppieee!!! What did i do to get this rank ?( Tell me so i can keep up the good work)

Just pretty much be your self! Good job Huh?
Yup...Asteroth is a charmer alright Big Smile Smilie
Keep it up brother!!!
(I hate one-line posts but I just don't know what else I could say)
I call Commander of the Armed Forces of Geeksylvania. Mwahahahahaaaa, I will create an army in my own image, hordes of screaming lunatics, hurling rubber chickens at their panic-stricken foes! Big Laugh Smilie
Ok Peredhil is comander of the Armed Forces Of Geeksylvania!

But be warned I am still the Mad Muppet Catcher General and my army of elite fighting Muppet's are loyal to me and no one else! Waaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaa! Tongue Smilie
Well, since everybody is getting cool ranks and posts and such, I wanna have one too! Big Smile Smilie

I wanna be the Chief of Propaganda spreading the belief of geekiness to every corner in the world! Muhahahahaha!
Ok Madwannabe is my Chief Information Officer! You spread the information I want spreading!

Mwaahahhhhaaaaa!!!!!
  [1] [2] >>