Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: tolkein recipes

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > tolkein recipes   

nerwen posted on 19/3/2003 at 07:15
Quote:
How about a section for tolkein recipes, heres one for starters.
Bilbo's Pie
Line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry. Fill with a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of sliced sausage , then a layer of eggs (hardboiled or as they come,) then a layer of bacon, repeat until the dish is full, season with salt, pepper, powdered thyme , then cover with a top of
pastry, sprinkled with cheese, bake in the over for about 40 mins or so, until cooked. Eat hot or cold

Quote:
Bilbo's PierLine a pie dish with shortcrust pastry. Fill with a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of sliced sausage , then a layer of eggs (hardboiled or as they come,) then a layer of bacon, repeat until the dish is full, season with salt, pepper, powdered thyme , then cover with a top of rpastry, sprinkled with cheese, bake in the over for about 40 mins or so, until cooked.
Add Bilbo according to taste! Big Laugh Smilie
Sheryl dont knock anything until you have tried it. This was intended to be a not too serious subject but not for being nip-picked or ridiculed which I feel you have done. As a matter of fact I have been cooking for over 50 years and take cooking seriously and believe it or not still have a family alive to prove it!!
Quote:
Bilbo's Pie
Line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry. Fill with a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of sliced sausage , then a layer of eggs (hardboiled or as they come,) then a layer of bacon, repeat until the dish is full, season with salt, pepper, powdered thyme , then cover with a top of
pastry, sprinkled with cheese, bake in the over for about 40 mins or so, until cooked.
Seriously, I think I'd replace the egg layer with cooked flat pasta, or thin sliced potatoes painting each of the layers with whipped raw egg.

However, it is your recipe and you may make it as you wish. Please take the comments of our eleven year old Sheryl with a grain of salt, for she is still learning how to be polite.

How about Oliphaunt Stew

Take one Oliphaunt, dice into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
place in a large pot
add sixteen bunches of carrots, sliced into 3/16 inch disks
add seven heads of cellary choped
add two bushels of pared potatoes, each cut into about 16 pieces
add eighteen onions cut into each eight pieces
add two gallons of peas or green beans
add two skinned and boned rabbits
finally, cover with water and let boil for 1 hour, salt and pepper to taste.

You may wish to delete the rabbit, as some people don't appreciate hare in their stew. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

[Edited on 20/3/2003 by Grondmaster]
Okay...not to judge a book by its cover but...EEEEEWWWW. ok. i would never ever make[nor try] that. *shudders* yuck. I will leave that for you to eat. Il pass!
Quote:

You may wish to delete the rabbit, as some people don't appreciate hare in their stew. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

LOL Grondy, (hair, hare- ha ha)

It sounds pretty interesting Grondy, only one problem, i haven't found Oliphaunt anywhere, i searched throught about 10 stores!
Could you please notify me, where could i get it?

But same as Delidia, i would probobly *shudder*. But i think you would need a pretty big pot to make that Wink Smilie

Wiggle Smilie
Mellie, deleted both of Sheryl's very rude and inconsiderate posts to Nerwen. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated at Planet-Tolkien.

Nerwen, I appologize for Sheryl's behavior.

I thought your receipe sounded wonderful, but i do have to agree with Grondy on a variation on it, using the pasta. My son, would eat it much better that way, but either way he would at least try it.
Nerwen,
your recipe is aptly named as it sounds very much like something Bilbo would serve. One I must try sometime.

Grondy, I think we could easily feed all of Rohan with your Oliphant Stew, if we could just find some oliphant.

I think I shall dig into my recipe book. I am sure I can find something fit for a hobbit.
What a fun thread!

Well, I have always had good luck finding really fresh oliphaunt meat at the Biggly-Wiggly. You may find it canned or frozen in smaller portions at the Pick and Save. I tried Sam's and other warehouse stores but it always seems gamey to me. Tongue Smilie Happy cooking everyone!

I would never let Pippen cook for me. He likes mushrooms.
I`m really sorry Nerwen, I was only joking around. Pulling a leg even. I`ll keep my mouth shut from now on. Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
I like the sound of the pasta instesad of the egg. Thing is that is the kind of food my family like, they are typical hobbits!! I thought it was just the thng that Bilbo would eat, I'll give you a sticky cake recipe next.

Sheryl, thanks for your post, accepted.

Cant get oliphants here in Devon, would dartmoor sheep do instead do you think.

Pudding recipe,

take a quantity of meringes, lay in the bottom of a dish, cover with ice cream, then another layer of meringue, then more ice cream, cover this with soft fruit, ie rasps or straws, pour over double cream, whipped or not, decorate with more fruit, or glace cherried etc. eat immediately before the ie cream melts.

Summer drink

Ice cream soda, or lemonade, red wine, or white, mix together, serve in tall glasses with a dollop of ice cream on the top, decorate with mint leaves.
You are making me hungry Nerwen! Tongue Smilie
*Sheryl still keeps her mouth shut* Sad Smilie
Quote:
Cant get oliphants here in Devon, would dartmoor sheep do instead do you think.

You're in Devon Nerwen? Wow! Someone else from nearly the same place as me! How exciting! Whereabouts are you? (PM me if you don't want the world to know) this week I'm in Hatherleigh (right on the edge of the aforementioned Dartmoor) but usually I can be found residing in the pubs of Bideford.
Poor Sheryl.

Plastic Squirrel, I live in Princetown right on Dartmoor, we get wild cats but no oliphants here.

Sorry if this post is making you feel hungry, me I just love discussing recipes and food. As I said, my family are typical hobbits. Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie
I have to side with Smťagol on the good recipes.....we wantsssss fisshh!! Give it to usss RAW and WIGGLY Wiggle Smilie

MMM.... but a few cooked taters with some delicious cony stew! Tongue Smilie yum yum!
I'll take this one seriously, here, learn how to make Lembas:

Lembas Recipe
The perfect snack for writing or reading Legolas fanfiction!!
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons cold butter (1 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
honey or maple syrup for dipping
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Add butter and mix with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture
looks like fine granules.
Add sugar and cinnamon and mix.
Add milk and vanilla and stir with a fork until dough forms.
(you can add a little bit more milk than the recipe calls for
if it gets too hard to stir.)
Roll into balls and place on cookie sheet, mashing them out
until they are about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches across. Makes
about 12 - 14. Bake for about 12 minutes or until insides
aren't gooey.
Wrapped in mallorn leaves they will stay fresh indefinitely.
Wrapped in plastic wrap they are good for about a week.
Delicious dipped in honey or syrup.

BTW ONE SMALL BITE DOES NOT FULL THE STOMACH OF A GROWN MAN, DO NOT BRING ONLY A COUPLE IF PLANNING FOR A 10 HOURS TRIP.
Arwen, I am going to try that for breakfast, it sounds a good breakfast. What are mallorn leaves?
Quote:
What are mallorn leaves

The leaves of the Mallorn tree Tongue Smilie , Ok the trees of Lothlorien are mallorn, and the leavces are used for many things including fairy cake paper!

Welcome to PT nerwen, I'm our resident grump and leader of the Peter Jackson smear campaign! Wink Smilie

Recipe for Gobbo'in't'hole!

make some batter.
4Ibs cubbed lumps of goblin flesh.
2Ibs cubbed chunks wargs tongue.
gently fry the the goblin flesh and wargs tongue until lightly browned.
lay the the goblin flesh and wargs tongue in a oven proof pyrex dish and pour batter. lightly cook in the oven until the batter is raised and brown.
take fat and grease from frying pan add water and cornflour, whilst simmering to make nice brown gravy.
serve on a plate or Goblin's skull if you didn't get your butcher to cut the head off, pour gravy (watch it doesn't pour out of the eye sockets) and season with parsley!

Arwen, we actually made your recipe for lunch, we dipped them in homey, YUM YUM YUM
I've skipped dinner to be here and now you're all making me feel hungry. Being a simple man, I'd settle for freshy roasted venison (preferably Roe Deer), cooked over hot coals in a forest. Having a bit of a sweet tooth, I'd like it to be basted in honey and turned only slowly so that the honey caramalises on the flesh.

This I'd wash down with a flagon of red wine and some of Arwen's lembras.
Ok, now we are ready for more Tolkien Recipes starting with V's Troll Cakes. Smile Smilie
Quote:
You may wish to delete the rabbit, as some people don't appreciate hare in their stew.

LOL! I just got that! LOL! I was sitting there, thinking..... but a rabbit isn't a hare.... what does he mean 'hare'? .... so some people don't like hare... So what?... Oh! Hair! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Ooh, I don't have a Tolkien recipe, but I have a new zealand recipe for pukeko! (Swamphen... ring any bells? Well, it's a bird anyway) First you take a pukeko and a rock. You put the pukeko on the rock (The pukeko is already dead) Then you cook the bird on the rock over a fire. Then you put the rock and the pukeko in a boiling pot. Boil them both until the pukeko is just as hard as the rock. Then you roast them both over a spit. Then you season the pukeko with grass, ground up and cooked just ike the pukeko. Then you throw the pukeko into Hamilton Lake where you first got it, and eat the rock coz they both should taste the same by now! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! Alright, I know it'snot that funny, I got it off my friend, but I just like typing LOL. LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!
Quote:
It sounds pretty interesting Grondy, only one problem, i haven't found Oliphaunt anywhere, i searched throught about 10 stores!
Could you please notify me, where could i get it?
I'm sad to say Oliphaunt is now on the Endangered Species List, so you will have to substitute Mastodon or Wooly Mammoth.
Replace the oliphant with beef, reduce the amount of ingrediants (eg: one carrot, etc) and Grondy's stew is not only makeable but I suspect it could be utterly yummy! Infact I've written the recipie down and intend to try it out this winter. Plus by telling kiddies who have read the books/seen the movies that their eatting oliphant you could get 'em to eat it, after all, who wouldn't want to eat an endangered Species?!
I'm afraid my local supermarket won't stock mastodon, as the meat goes off to quickly and can't be re-frozen if defrosted.
Troll Cakes (or Rock Cakes as they are commonly known in the UK)

Take one troll and leave it in the sun for a few hours.....

No, seriously.......

4oz self raising flour
4oz plain flour
pinch of salt
4oz margerine/butter - I often use just marge but you can use a 50/50 mix
3oz demerara sugar
3oz (roughly - I use more) dried fruit - i.e. sultanas, raisins, currants
a dollop of dried mixed peel (or you could use fresh)
cinnamon to taste - I usually tip in a good helping
A few squirts of lemon juice
1 beaten egg and a splash of milk

Sieve flour, salt and cinnamon
Rub in butter/marge
add fruit, sugar and peel
mix well
squirt in some lemon juice
add the beaten egg and milk to make a very stiff doughy mixture
cover a large baking tray with baking parchment
divide the mix into 12 rocky little heaps
bake at gas mark 6 just above the middle of the oven until golden - about 15 mins

Make a cup of tea and serve the rock cakes almost immediately they come out of the oven - hot is good but they are also delicious cool.

It's my dinnertime and I was looking for an inspiraration so I came to this thread. All it did was make me hungry. Does anyone have a good cookie recipe?
One box of Chocolate Chip Cookies..... Open..... Eat Smile Smilie
In regards to Grondy's request for a good cookie recipe...it may seem too simplistic, but a really good recipe can be found on the back of the Nestles chocolate chip bags for their Toll House cookies. They never fail and taste great.

Have to give Val credit for keeping life simple. A similar 'recipe' would be: drive to nearest mall....walk to the nearest cookie shop (don't want to waste any calories unnecessarily)...plunk down a dollar and enjoy a fresh baked cookie of your choosing. If you're lucky there will be a Starbucks nearby.